To buy a seat or not for 1 year old

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Would you fly 8 hours with a 15month old toddler in your lap? Or would that be a nightmare?

Also what are the chances of scoring a bassinet with her age (we are flying overnights). Her size and weight won't be a problem as she is on the small side.

#2 danielle1985

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

When we have flown (and only for 4-5 hours) there is NO WAY ON EARTH my son would have stayed in my lap. We managed to get a spare seat though by asking at the gate and we had a seat blocked out for us. Where are you flying and when? If there are free seats you can what we did but there is always the risk the flight will be full and then you are stuck.

#3 lclb

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I would prefer not to fly with a child that age without their own seat. I've always bought my DS a seat when we have flown that sort of distance or longer (and he was under the age of 2).

However that said I am seriously considering going on our family overseas holiday before DD turns 2 so that I don't have to buy her a seat! Once you have more than 1 child the ability to save $1000+ dollars is very appealing!

#4 farfaraway

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I have flown dozens of times with at least one kid on my lap - all long-haul, US to Aus, Europe to Aus, or US to Europe. it's not fun, but it's certainly manageable - 8 hours is a walk in the park compared to 26! - but there's no way I'd fork over the cash for an extra seat. There's no guarantee they won't end up on your lap, or with you wandering up and down the aisles with them anyway.

With all questions like these about traveling with young kids I have the same response - expect the worst, hope for the best, and accept that it's only a very short time (grand scheme of things!) and you will survive.

Happy flying!

#5 Bluenomi

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

We did it with DD from Syndey to the UK and back and it was fine. BUT she wasn't walking and wasn't much of a crawler so didn't mind being restrained to our laps or the floor. If I had a more moible kid I suspect it would be tough.

Some airlines (VA) we happy for us to have a bassinet since they based theirs on weight but others (Emirents) gave us one but only to store stuff, she was too old to sleep in it.

#6 Cat People

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

We did three flights west coast of oz to east coast of USA with a 19 mth on our lap.  TBH I don't think it would have made much difference if we had an extra seat.  It was worth it for the extra spending money for us and probably half the flights we had a spare seat anyway.  We also had the bassinet a couple of times but there is a weight and height limit and he was right on it so it  didn't get used.

#7 Tall Poppy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

No I wouldn't, you know your kid though & for you it might be fine.

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

As PP have said it depends on how much saving the cost of the child's airfare would be. I have done EU and back with 18-20mos.... On one trip I was PG too. For us saving the money to use on the holiday was worth more. $2k was a big part of our budget.

#9 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I flew to and from NZ with my then 15mo DS (walking).  The flight over we happened to have a spare seat, on the way back we didn't.   The flight over was a dream - sometimes he sat on me, sometimes in his own seat.  Having the 2 trays was also helpful.  The flight back was a nightmare - he kept fighting to get down, trying to kick me etc, we couldn't eat properly.    I've now bought him a seat for our trip to Broome (2 mo).

#10 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

We are flying to Singapore then Hong Kong and yes will be able to save about 1k. This will be our first time flying with the kids (have a 2yo DS as well). I am having nightmares already...

I am not hopeful that there will be spare seats on these flights eventhough it's not peak season (thinking maybe late Aug/early Sep)- from past experience the planes are always full...

#11 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I flew Canberra to Sydney with DD when she was 15 months - NEVER AGAIN....... it was a nightmare half hour.

#12 Agnetha

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

we travelled with our DD at 6.5 months Melbourne to Phuket. She only just fit in the bassinet and slept more than half the 8-9 hour flight. We did the same journey when she was 19 months old, harder as she was mobile and too big for the bassinet. However, it was an overnight flight and she was shattered by the time we got onboard,(1am) though wouldn't sleep till all the lights were out after a meal service(3 am). On the way home , I was lucky enough to cadge an empty two seats next to the window  and she slept most of the way , and lucky partner had a spare next to him!

#13 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

If you have a 2yo too, get them to share a seat by putting up the armrests and then they can watch something together. We asked NOT to have bulkhead seats which we were allocated as we wanted to be able to put up armrests so both kids could sit together. This was 20 o and 3.5yo.

I have been flying with kids since my first was 6wks. Plan relax. Kids pick up on your stress and anxiety.

#14 Eneloj

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

If you can afford it I would definitely recommend it.  I did it with my first child after a few stressful trips on my own with him, and it was just completely worth it to have some hands free time for even some of the trip (especially useful at mealtimes)!  I wouldn't have bothered if my husband had been with me however.

#15 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 27/02/2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have a 2yo too, get them to share a seat by putting up the armrests and then they can watch something together. We asked NOT to have bulkhead seats which we were allocated as we wanted to be able to put up armrests so both kids could sit together. This was 20 o and 3.5yo.

I have been flying with kids since my first was 6wks. Plan relax. Kids pick up on your stress and anxiety.

Oh dear, I have totally forgotten about the armrests on bulkhead seats. Thanks for the reminder!

#16 munchmum

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

We did it to the UK when our dd was 16 months. Got a bassinet the whole way there and back, planes were full. It wasn't easy but worth the saving. My dd could walk at the time so there was a lot of pacing the plane plus when she wasn't asleep in the bassinet (which she only did for about 5 hours of the whole 24) it got used to store toys and as a table for the laptop which was on repeat with childrens tv shows, may not be the best thing for a toddler but it was the saviour of our sanity.

Planning to do it again next year with a 4 year old and 18 month old, gluttons for punishment and all that.

#17 Busydays

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

We went to Singapore last month with a walking 12 month old. No problem at all on our lap, the flight isn't that long. I wouldn't buy an extra seat. We flew in the daytime there, and overnight back. During the day trip, he had a sleep in the middle which split things up. Overnight was really easy, he was out to it before we left. It did mean however that we had to hold him for the trip, so less sleep for us.

We flew to Japan last July (he was 5 months) and had the bassinet both times (one day trip, one overnight). While it was good, it was also right up the front next to the toilet. Every single time someone went to the toilet he woke up. It wasn't fun. I would have much preferred to be holding him at the back! The extra leg room was pretty nice though original.gif

#18 bubmakes3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

We flew to Thailand (Bangkok) with a 15 month old on our laps. We had great seats first time round (I think they put us in a premium economy type area) - the seats reclined alot further and had a footrest and we were at the front of the section so had about a metre of space in front of our seats so DS played there a bit and otherwise lay on me sleeping.
The way back was an evening flight and he slept sort of across both of us most of the time.
To be honest it wasn't that bad and for the amount of $$ it saved it was worth it.

#19 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thank you all for sharing your experience. Another question: those of you who have travelled with 2-3yr olds, do they prefer to sleep reclining in their seat or lying down with their head/legs across your lap? I am considering the pros and cons of bulkhead seats.

efs

Edited by Leeloomina, 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#20 Feralishous

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ive done 5 hours with an 18 month old, and it was fine. we had a spare seat both ways though, and she was on the boob most of the times

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

My kids have slept across us. Bulk head seats are a PITA in my view. Armrests up all the way.

Even when we flew as DD turned two, at one point all here kids were sharing two seats, even though DD had her own seat and we had spare seat next to us (ie. three to window and three in the middle).

#22 mandala

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Up to 8 hours, I'd probably have a 12 month old on my lap. We did it for 4 hours with no dramas.

However, we're planning a 30+ hour trip with three legs, one 15+ hours. Because of that that flight we're getting a seat for DS, but will have it the whole way (because of the way the fare's structured). Given that we're saving because we're staying with family, we decided it was worth the extra $1k.

#23 Domestic Goddess

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I took DS to Europe when he was 15 months. The travelagent automatically booked a basinette for DS. Though I already knew he had outgrown it. Yet there was no other way. It was booking the bassinette or coughing up for a full fair price to get him a seat next to me.
When I got into the plane, I just acted surprised like I didn't know he was too big. They just gave him a seat next to me as the plane was not booked full.

I think it also depends on with what company you fly. Some are better with kids and more flexible and will give your child an extra seat if the bassinette doesn't fit. Singapore Airlines were fabulous with DS

#24 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Singapore are fabulous with kids. They also gave us spare seat where possible (3/4 legs).

#25 TheSmithFamily

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

We have done a few 8/9 hr flights with the kids.

I only pay for a seat over 2, but I am a budget traveler! wink.gif

We have traveled when the kids were 9m, 16m, 21m, then over 2.

My older kids sit up to sleep on the plane, we last had bulkheads for extra leg room. On occasion with no bulkheads the kids just lie on one of our laps.( adult in the middle)

Our next flight our youngest will be 20 months and an overnight. I am going to try and squeeze the three kids in two seats..... Or just end up giving mine to the toddler to keep the peace!

Good luck
Bron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.