To buy a seat or not for 1 year old

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Would you fly 8 hours with a 15month old toddler in your lap? Or would that be a nightmare?

Also what are the chances of scoring a bassinet with her age (we are flying overnights). Her size and weight won't be a problem as she is on the small side.

#2 danielle1985

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

When we have flown (and only for 4-5 hours) there is NO WAY ON EARTH my son would have stayed in my lap. We managed to get a spare seat though by asking at the gate and we had a seat blocked out for us. Where are you flying and when? If there are free seats you can what we did but there is always the risk the flight will be full and then you are stuck.

#3 lclb

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I would prefer not to fly with a child that age without their own seat. I've always bought my DS a seat when we have flown that sort of distance or longer (and he was under the age of 2).

However that said I am seriously considering going on our family overseas holiday before DD turns 2 so that I don't have to buy her a seat! Once you have more than 1 child the ability to save $1000+ dollars is very appealing!

#4 farfaraway

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I have flown dozens of times with at least one kid on my lap - all long-haul, US to Aus, Europe to Aus, or US to Europe. it's not fun, but it's certainly manageable - 8 hours is a walk in the park compared to 26! - but there's no way I'd fork over the cash for an extra seat. There's no guarantee they won't end up on your lap, or with you wandering up and down the aisles with them anyway.

With all questions like these about traveling with young kids I have the same response - expect the worst, hope for the best, and accept that it's only a very short time (grand scheme of things!) and you will survive.

Happy flying!

#5 Bluenomi

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

We did it with DD from Syndey to the UK and back and it was fine. BUT she wasn't walking and wasn't much of a crawler so didn't mind being restrained to our laps or the floor. If I had a more moible kid I suspect it would be tough.

Some airlines (VA) we happy for us to have a bassinet since they based theirs on weight but others (Emirents) gave us one but only to store stuff, she was too old to sleep in it.

#6 Cat People

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

We did three flights west coast of oz to east coast of USA with a 19 mth on our lap.  TBH I don't think it would have made much difference if we had an extra seat.  It was worth it for the extra spending money for us and probably half the flights we had a spare seat anyway.  We also had the bassinet a couple of times but there is a weight and height limit and he was right on it so it  didn't get used.

#7 Tall Poppy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

No I wouldn't, you know your kid though & for you it might be fine.

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

As PP have said it depends on how much saving the cost of the child's airfare would be. I have done EU and back with 18-20mos.... On one trip I was PG too. For us saving the money to use on the holiday was worth more. $2k was a big part of our budget.

#9 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I flew to and from NZ with my then 15mo DS (walking).  The flight over we happened to have a spare seat, on the way back we didn't.   The flight over was a dream - sometimes he sat on me, sometimes in his own seat.  Having the 2 trays was also helpful.  The flight back was a nightmare - he kept fighting to get down, trying to kick me etc, we couldn't eat properly.    I've now bought him a seat for our trip to Broome (2 mo).

#10 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

We are flying to Singapore then Hong Kong and yes will be able to save about 1k. This will be our first time flying with the kids (have a 2yo DS as well). I am having nightmares already...

I am not hopeful that there will be spare seats on these flights eventhough it's not peak season (thinking maybe late Aug/early Sep)- from past experience the planes are always full...

#11 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I flew Canberra to Sydney with DD when she was 15 months - NEVER AGAIN....... it was a nightmare half hour.

#12 Agnetha

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

we travelled with our DD at 6.5 months Melbourne to Phuket. She only just fit in the bassinet and slept more than half the 8-9 hour flight. We did the same journey when she was 19 months old, harder as she was mobile and too big for the bassinet. However, it was an overnight flight and she was shattered by the time we got onboard,(1am) though wouldn't sleep till all the lights were out after a meal service(3 am). On the way home , I was lucky enough to cadge an empty two seats next to the window  and she slept most of the way , and lucky partner had a spare next to him!

#13 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

If you have a 2yo too, get them to share a seat by putting up the armrests and then they can watch something together. We asked NOT to have bulkhead seats which we were allocated as we wanted to be able to put up armrests so both kids could sit together. This was 20 o and 3.5yo.

I have been flying with kids since my first was 6wks. Plan relax. Kids pick up on your stress and anxiety.

#14 Eneloj

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

If you can afford it I would definitely recommend it.  I did it with my first child after a few stressful trips on my own with him, and it was just completely worth it to have some hands free time for even some of the trip (especially useful at mealtimes)!  I wouldn't have bothered if my husband had been with me however.

#15 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 27/02/2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have a 2yo too, get them to share a seat by putting up the armrests and then they can watch something together. We asked NOT to have bulkhead seats which we were allocated as we wanted to be able to put up armrests so both kids could sit together. This was 20 o and 3.5yo.

I have been flying with kids since my first was 6wks. Plan relax. Kids pick up on your stress and anxiety.

Oh dear, I have totally forgotten about the armrests on bulkhead seats. Thanks for the reminder!

#16 munchmum

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

We did it to the UK when our dd was 16 months. Got a bassinet the whole way there and back, planes were full. It wasn't easy but worth the saving. My dd could walk at the time so there was a lot of pacing the plane plus when she wasn't asleep in the bassinet (which she only did for about 5 hours of the whole 24) it got used to store toys and as a table for the laptop which was on repeat with childrens tv shows, may not be the best thing for a toddler but it was the saviour of our sanity.

Planning to do it again next year with a 4 year old and 18 month old, gluttons for punishment and all that.

#17 Busydays

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

We went to Singapore last month with a walking 12 month old. No problem at all on our lap, the flight isn't that long. I wouldn't buy an extra seat. We flew in the daytime there, and overnight back. During the day trip, he had a sleep in the middle which split things up. Overnight was really easy, he was out to it before we left. It did mean however that we had to hold him for the trip, so less sleep for us.

We flew to Japan last July (he was 5 months) and had the bassinet both times (one day trip, one overnight). While it was good, it was also right up the front next to the toilet. Every single time someone went to the toilet he woke up. It wasn't fun. I would have much preferred to be holding him at the back! The extra leg room was pretty nice though original.gif

#18 bubmakes3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

We flew to Thailand (Bangkok) with a 15 month old on our laps. We had great seats first time round (I think they put us in a premium economy type area) - the seats reclined alot further and had a footrest and we were at the front of the section so had about a metre of space in front of our seats so DS played there a bit and otherwise lay on me sleeping.
The way back was an evening flight and he slept sort of across both of us most of the time.
To be honest it wasn't that bad and for the amount of $$ it saved it was worth it.

#19 FEdeRAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thank you all for sharing your experience. Another question: those of you who have travelled with 2-3yr olds, do they prefer to sleep reclining in their seat or lying down with their head/legs across your lap? I am considering the pros and cons of bulkhead seats.

efs

Edited by Leeloomina, 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#20 Feralishous

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ive done 5 hours with an 18 month old, and it was fine. we had a spare seat both ways though, and she was on the boob most of the times

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

My kids have slept across us. Bulk head seats are a PITA in my view. Armrests up all the way.

Even when we flew as DD turned two, at one point all here kids were sharing two seats, even though DD had her own seat and we had spare seat next to us (ie. three to window and three in the middle).

#22 mandala

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Up to 8 hours, I'd probably have a 12 month old on my lap. We did it for 4 hours with no dramas.

However, we're planning a 30+ hour trip with three legs, one 15+ hours. Because of that that flight we're getting a seat for DS, but will have it the whole way (because of the way the fare's structured). Given that we're saving because we're staying with family, we decided it was worth the extra $1k.

#23 Domestic Goddess

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I took DS to Europe when he was 15 months. The travelagent automatically booked a basinette for DS. Though I already knew he had outgrown it. Yet there was no other way. It was booking the bassinette or coughing up for a full fair price to get him a seat next to me.
When I got into the plane, I just acted surprised like I didn't know he was too big. They just gave him a seat next to me as the plane was not booked full.

I think it also depends on with what company you fly. Some are better with kids and more flexible and will give your child an extra seat if the bassinette doesn't fit. Singapore Airlines were fabulous with DS

#24 IsolaBella

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Singapore are fabulous with kids. They also gave us spare seat where possible (3/4 legs).

#25 TheSmithFamily

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

We have done a few 8/9 hr flights with the kids.

I only pay for a seat over 2, but I am a budget traveler! wink.gif

We have traveled when the kids were 9m, 16m, 21m, then over 2.

My older kids sit up to sleep on the plane, we last had bulkheads for extra leg room. On occasion with no bulkheads the kids just lie on one of our laps.( adult in the middle)

Our next flight our youngest will be 20 months and an overnight. I am going to try and squeeze the three kids in two seats..... Or just end up giving mine to the toddler to keep the peace!

Good luck
Bron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.