Vampires and their love life
Fluffy and TMI (with vampires!)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 feralstreak

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

OK, so according to Twilight and the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries, vampires can have sex. According to Twilight, vampires can also reproduce. These concepts have been rattling around in my head for a while and I have a couple of questions:

I haven't read all the Twilight and Sookie books, so I"m not sure if it's been covered, but how can male vampires have sex? How do they get erections if they're the Undead? Do they get an erection from all the blood they drink? What do they ejaculate and how do they produce sperm?

Also, what happens if a human female partner of a vampire gets a period? Is it the equivalent of dangling a packet of chocolate biscuits in my face for five days, or does nothing compare to blood fresh from the neck?

Can any biologists, romance readers, or vampires please enlighten me?  tongue.gif

Edited for terrible grammar

Edited by silverstreak, 27 February 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I think the answer lies in the fact that you are talking about wishy-washy pretend vampires.

Proper vampires don't have sex and they don't have relatinships.  They just rip throats open to slake their bloodlust.  No sparkling and no moping required.

#3 feralstreak

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

This is the thing, Manatee, I do like this modern concept of Vampire / Human relationships, but I don't know how well the "mechanics" of it work. And the sparkling, ye gods, what's with that?

Oh and can Eric Northman please post in this thread too?

#4 ljl211

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Back in the Buffy the Vampire slayer days, Angel and Buffy fell in love but if they had sex, didn't he lose his "soul" again and turn all blood lusty?

I don't know, its something that I've thought about too, all the differences. For eg, in the Sookie books, the vamps sleep during the day, but Twilight they don't?

*disclaimer* I know its all fiction!

#5 kpingitquiet

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Being a former game-runner of several Vampire type games, I can tell ya how the more imaginative players have worked this.

Erections: So, vampires need blood as they lost all their own in the vampire-making process. Some vampire players contend that the acquired blood is what animates the otherwise-dead vampire's body. As a vampire might force this blood to animate their legs to walk, they might also force the blood to form an erection. Twilighty types have a different take. The author provides that the natural body fluids and synaptic reactions are replaced by venom and that this venom makes vampires work in a similar fashion to humans, just never warm and with mega-hard/strong body tissues. Erection? No probs. Just a bit chilly.

Periods: Gamer take on this is that a well-fed vampire could resist the blood scent but that a hungry vampire would likely go into a frenzy state. I don't think Twilight covers this, though.

Pregnancy: Gamer take: Wellll, this is hotly contended. Some insist that vampires exist by magical means so therefore...magic happens. Others say "Sorry, dead people have no living sperm". Twilight take: Venom simulates human bodily function so well that a venom-based version of sperm still exists. Hence half human/half vamp kids. But the ability of most vampires to resist eating their lover in a most unpleasant fashion, and the tendency of these offspring to drain the life out of their human hosts/mothers, means it's not a commonly pondered issue.

Imagination is a beautiful...and sometimes ridiculous thing.

Edited by kpingitquiet, 27 February 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#6 kelbelblue

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

in the books Lauren K Hamillton writes, the male vampires can't have an erection until they drink blood, the drinking of the blood seems to be quite sexual too.
So I guess they either go to the bedroom after a little snack, or the blood drinking just adds to the excitement.
In hamillton's books, she generally haas them drink blood during the act, so that 'Anita' is always fully satisfied first. Also, in her books, the males seem to have gigantic penis', so this enables the females to swallow them completely before they are hard...
Sorry if this is TMI, I read these as a teenager and writing it out like this is hilaious original.gif

ETA, she doesn't really deal with the spem issue until later in the series, when we find out human can be impregnated by vamps (but not the other way around) but generally the baby half breed eats the mother...
In the Night Huntress Series, the vamp has to have been change within the last week or less for it to work, after that all the sperm die off...

Edited by kelbelblue, 27 February 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#7 BadCat

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Well if you want to get all down and dirty with a vamp I'm pretty sure you could use THIS. Don't look if you are at work or have kids around.

I can't help you with the semen though.

Edited by O TheHugeManatee, 27 February 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't know how a vampire would get an erection. Doesn't an erection usually occur when increased blood flow goes to the penis? (I could be wrong!)

So in that case if they were going to get erections after having a blood drink, wouldn't they get erections every time they had blood? How embarrassing.

I also thought vampires shot blanks. Do dead men have sperm? Surely even if it's alive for a while after they die, it would soon be gone, unless they a like cockroaches who can have sex and reproduce for a period of time after they die.

Ewwwwwww!

#9 feralstreak

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Now I'm even more confused, IjI211, I didn't know vampires had souls? Or hang on, wasn't Brad Pitt's character in Interview with a Vampire the only one to have a soul?

Now that I think of it, because the Twilight universe has vampires that never sleep, they can theoretically attack you at any time (unless they're "vegetarians"!) That's a bit harsh. At least in the Sookie universe people don't expect to be attacked by vampires during the day.

#10 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Also if male vampires can impregnant women can female vampires get pregnant?

#11 kelbelblue

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 27/02/2013, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if you want to get all down and dirty with a vamp I'm pretty sure you could use THIS. Don't look if you are at work or have kids around.

I can't help you with the semen though.

How did you stumble across this little beauty? Or are they a must have accessory for all good Manatees (hope this is the correct plural)

#12 Cranky Kitten

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 27/02/2013, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being a former game-runner of several Vampire type games, I can tell ya how the more imaginative players have worked this.

Erections: So, vampires need blood as they lost all their own in the vampire-making process. Some vampire players contend that the acquired blood is what animates the otherwise-dead vampire's body. As a vampire might force this blood to animate their legs to walk, they might also force the blood to form an erection. Twilighty types have a different take. The author provides that the natural body fluids and synaptic reactions are replaced by venom and that this venom makes vampires work in a similar fashion to humans, just never warm and with mega-hard/strong body tissues. Erection? No probs. Just a bit chilly.

Periods: Gamer take on this is that a well-fed vampire could resist the blood scent but that a hungry vampire would likely go into a frenzy state. I don't think Twilight covers this, though.

Pregnancy: Gamer take: Wellll, this is hotly contended. Some insist that vampires exist by magical means so therefore...magic happens. Others say "Sorry, dead people have no living sperm". Twilight take: Venom simulates human bodily function so well that a venom-based version of sperm still exists. Hence half human/half vamp kids. But the ability of most vampires to resist eating their lover in a most unpleasant fashion, and the tendency of these offspring to drain the life out of their human hosts/mothers, means it's not a commonly pondered issue.

Imagination is a beautiful...and sometimes ridiculous thing.

Requiem or Masquerade?

Sod these sparkly wimpy new age vamps. Give me a decent Dracula story any day, or even Lestat at a pinch, but never poor poor tormented whining Louis.

#13 Mamaof8

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

In nearly all vampire movies/shows I've seen, if there is a sexual act then the vamp bites his lover as part of it and the woman gets all ht and horny ;)So maybe that lends to the blood giving them an erection hence her lust as he bites her?Lol the things we ponder

#14 Zahhy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Also, what happens if a human female partner of a vampire gets a period? Is it the equivalent of dangling a packet of chocolate biscuits in my face for five days, or does nothing compare to blood fresh from the neck?

BAHAHAHAA!

Is it a sign of a sick mind that I have occasionally pondered the same thing in very similar terms?

#15 ljl211

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

silverstreak - If my memory of Buffy is right, Angel did develop a soul which meant they fell in love... It might have been a spell or a curse perhaps? Then he lost it again and turned all snarly. But he was definitely a good guy. Can't remember how he used to "feed" was it animals?

#16 ljl211

silverstreak - If my memory of Buffy is right, Angel did develop a soul which meant they fell in love... It might have been a spell or a curse perhaps? Then he lost it again and turned all snarly. But he was definitely a good guy. Can't remember how he used to "feed" was it animals?

#17 ljl211

#18 kpingitquiet

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Masquerade original.gif

While I have suffered through games where female vamps had babies, the general idea is that vampire tissue is either dead, unless forced to animate, or semi-petrified and hard. Universally, they are extraordinarily fast healers. So, the gist is either that the bodies are too dead to foster life, or are too unyielding/unchanging to accommodate the growth of a fetus. The healing ability would potentially make delivery by any means impossible, though. Stretched orifices and ripped tissues would heal too rapidly. Surgical cuts would do the same. The baby would have no way out.

#19 feralstreak

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the gamer perspective kpingitquiet, very interesting! The Twilight venom concept is now confusing me even more. Twilight seems to have turned every concept I thought I knew about vampires on its head! *Shakes fist at Stephenie Meyer.*

Manatee, surely Eric Northman doesn't need one of those? laughing2.gif

Sunnycat, I also want to know if female vampires can get pregnant. Also, your cockroach analogy gave me some very strange visuals! roll2.gif

Kelbel, ok, the drinking blood beforehand makes sense. Perhaps it's the vampire equivalent of putting on a condom or going to the toilet beforehand?

#20 kpingitquiet

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Oh yeah, another theory on periods is that it is "dead blood," being expelled, and that's not terribly inaccurate if ya think about it, which some vampire universes consider poisonous.

#21 BadCat

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (kelbelblue @ 27/02/2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did you stumble across this little beauty? Or are they a must have accessory for all good Manatees (hope this is the correct plural)

I looked it up especially.  I'm helpful like that.

QUOTE (ljl211 @ 27/02/2013, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Angel was a bad vampire named Angelus but then a gypsy laid a curse on him which restored his soul so that he would feel the anguish for all of his kills.  So he became a good vampire.  I don't recall where he got his blood from.   The curse was such that if he ever experieced a moment of true and complete happiness he would lose his soul again.  Bonking Buffy did the trick and he went all Angelus again.

#22 feralstreak

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Tonberry @ 27/02/2013, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BAHAHAHAA!

Is it a sign of a sick mind that I have occasionally pondered the same thing in very similar terms?

Haha, you and me both Tonberry!

#23 JaneLane

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (ljl211 @ 27/02/2013, 10:44 AM)
15359385[/url]']
Back in the Buffy the Vampire slayer days, Angel and Buffy fell in love but if they had sex, didn't he lose his "soul" again and turn all blood lusty?

I don't know, its something that I've thought about too, all the differences. For eg, in the Sookie books, the vamps sleep during the day, but Twilight they don't?

Yes in Buffy, Angel is a vampire with a soul as he was cursed by gypsies.  The curse means if he ever found true love and pure happiness, he would loose his soul and go back to being a regular blood lusty vamp.  This pure happiness  event happened when he and Buffy finally got down and dirty wink.gif
I really love vampire stuff but Twilight kind of ruined it a bit for me.  It has made most people think you are a twihard if you like vamps.  I have never read the books or seen the movies and won't ever.
OP I have no idea how all of it works, every author has their own way of making their fantasy world a reality in writing.  I have been keen to write my own vamp story and when I get around to it I will obviously have to give this a lot of thought!  I don't think mine will be able to procreate though, that seems just a bit too silly for me!

Edited by blue4me, 27 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#24 Bluenomi

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 27/02/2013, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I looked it up especially.  I'm helpful like that.

Angel was a bad vampire named Angelus but then a gypsy laid a curse on him which restored his soul so that he would feel the anguish for all of his kills.  So he became a good vampire.  I don't recall where he got his blood from.   The curse was such that if he ever experieced a moment of true and complete happiness he would lose his soul again.  Bonking Buffy did the trick and he went all Angelus again.

In his woe is me days he drank from rats (eww) and later he was a big fan of blood banks  biggrin.gif I gather various animals are a close match but not as good as the human stuff

#25 feralstreak

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Cranky Kitten, agree, Louis was such an emo! Maybe he needed more sparkle?  wink.gif

ljl, that's interesting that vampires can develop a soul, perhaps the redeeming power of love? The romantic in me is very happy with that.

Mamaof8, ah, that makes sense too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.