Doggy Perfume choices
*Bad decisions*

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Many of you would know that I have three lovely dogs and a cat, who is in charge of everyone.

On Sunday, DH and I decided it was time to empty the wading/splashing pool as the holidays were over and we're not playing in it (well, the dogs were, but that's another story).

As with anything that has denied oxygen to the grass underneath, the rotting stench when we lifted to pool and the tarps underneath was eye-watering. sick.gif It was raining though, so we figured it would be de-stunk fairly quickly.

This is true. By Monday morning, the smell had all but disappated. Unfortunately, not before one of my dogs decided that this would be her new perfume of choice.

Unlike her furry partners, who merely sniffed and scratched at the offending place, my middle dog (the one who has the densest, furriest, most difficult coat to clean and groom) decided to roll in it.

When she came indoors, no human would allow her within 10 feet - it was vile. Poor dog looked quite offended and sad - but no way was I touching her fur with THAT on it. She got sprayed with doggy deo, but even that wasn't sufficient to kill off the smell.

You know its bad when she went to her crate (sad and sorry for herself) and both the other dogs left their's, because she smelled so badly. Yes, the labrador (who is generally a fan of interesting smells) couldn't stand her and chose to sleep elsewhere. Even junior Elkhound refused to annoy her, because she smelled so bad.

So, what was I doing at 6:00am on a dark cold and raining Monday morning? Yep - washing the dog.

She smells better now - and has chosen not to attempt to re-apply her perfume. And the rest of her family are very grateful... laugh.gif

Any one else had an encounter of the nose-pegging kind?

#2 la di dah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

My dog thought a skunk was a kitty (she likes cats...) and tried to give it a good friendly snuffle.  It was dark and my brother who was walking her - on leash - really had thought it was a cat. It was not a cat at all. Fortunately the skunk was a bit dopey and when my brother realized what it was had time to back the stupid dog up and head off determinedly in another direction.

My mom had previously had to wash a skunked dog in tomato juice to get the smell out, and that dog did NOT like baths... she said it looked very much like a murder scene by the time she was done scrubbing a hyperventilating tomato-juiced little mongrel. He was an AGILE little beast too, and he could do backflips when upset.

My mom never forgot the Skunk Incident.

#3 Foogle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

The Airedale is in love with rotting things and horse poo.  I have never owned a dog so immune to the smell of dead things (and subsequently herself).

Dead spiders ie: big huntsman's - rolls in it

Dead lizards - the little skink type - rolls in it

Dead lizards - the larger ones ie: blue-tongues - rolls in it

The neighbours horses - leaves the horses alone, goes hell for leather to the poo pile - rolls in it

We have fixed the horse poo issue with new gates.  The other roll in things we can't do much about.  She finds them on the acreage.

Needless to say, she finds herself in the shower recess quite a lot.  I've never had this issue with any other dog I've owned and the Springer spaniel - he just thinks she's vile.

#4 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Can I just say how glad I am that we don't have skunks out here? I know they can become quite tame and friendly (like some of our possums), but I am in awe and terror of the potential smell factor. And I'd hate to try to wash Ursa with tomato juice - that would be all kind of bad. roll2.gif

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think we all would have been happier with horse poo as the choice of fragrance.... laugh.gif

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

My sister's dog was very partial to 'Eau de Festering Penguin Carcass' - she would also compliment this delightful scent by drinking some sea water and vomiting it up again on the way home.

#7 la di dah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I really like skunks. I've known pet skunks who were friendly little things. But they were de-scented and they STILL smelled like smellier-than-normal ferrets - who don't smell like roses themselves.

And temperment-wise skunks remind me of placid cats, and placid cats don't generally smell like stank-ass ferret. roll2.gif

My other dog found a dead squirrel and not only wanted to play with it but another dog barking at him and he tried to offer it some squirrel as a peaceful gesture. It was REVOLTING but the thing was so freshly road-killed it didn't reek. It was like the worst pinata. But no smell.

I wasn't feeling lucky that day though, I must say.

#8 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I have visions of Pepe Le Pew running around in my head now.

Mel, I think festering penguin carcass, with that subtle dead fish thing going on, may possibly be the vilest stench anyone is likely to encounter in Australia. Eeeeew, doggy, eeeeew. sick.gif

#9 Romeo Void

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

My Australian Terrier was let off leash at a park.  He disappeared into some long grass and after about a  minute came bouncing out with what looked like clay/mud chunks mashed into the shaggy fur around his neck.  Not mud.  Human feces.  Someone had shat in the grass and dear Basil had decorated himself with brown baubles.  DH had to re attach the lead and walk him home and wash him, I just couldn't bring myself to go anywhere near him.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I've dealt with human excrement on a dog too. Absolutely disgusting. Strange how my father and brother were too busy to wash the dog and it was left to me. I was about 12yo.

The blue stumpy tailed cattle dog had gone for his usual roam across the highway to the rest area opposite our house (I know, naughty owners for letting him roam. 20+ yrs ago, country area, standard dog practice). Overnight camping is allowed there. Clearly someone had been too lazy to walk to the toilets and had instead used the long grass at the edge of the rest area.

It was all over his back and he had clearly rolled in it because it was matted in. I had to wash him two or three times to get it off and get rid of any smell. He was very unimpressed with being bathed and having his new perfume removed. Thankfully he didn't attempt to reapply it. I think that he realised that it wasn't worth it.

#11 spellfall

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

My previous GSP loved the beach. He loved running, digging holes, chasing sticks .... and rolling in dead seagulls. Preferably ones that are a little further up the beach than the humans so you 'can't hear' the humans asking you to cease and desist.
I have never come across a more putrid smell. The worst time was when he did it the night before the 8.5 hour drive home. I washed him 3 times before we left and we still had to have all the windows wound down!

#12 tenar

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

A large and rotting fish, left on the riverbank by some idiot fisherman (or fisherwoman, I guess).  

The fish had clearly been rotting there for days or maybe weeks.  It was about as big as the puppy.  

Took multiple washes to get it out to the point where she could come inside again.

#13 kadoodle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

My springer always used to find dead things to roll in.  We lived in Eltham when I was a kid and backed onto bushland, so there were plenty of dead possums, etc... for her to coat herself in.  Then I'd have to wash her and she'd go roll in the sandpit as soon as I rinsed the last of the shampoo off.

#14 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Can I confess that I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one with a dog who prefers Eau de Stench.... biggrin.gif

#15 kadoodle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I thought all dogs did?  Or have I just known doggy grots?

The "dog rolling in dead, smelly things" is my main reservations about this dog DH and the kids seem to think we'll be getting.

#16 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Not all dogs.

Buttercup and Anja declined to roll in the pong, despite invesigating it and having ample opportunity.

Buttercup was not impressed at all with Ursa's perfume - she left the room when Ursa lay down next to her (crates are next to each other). Buttercup is a wise and discerning dog.

Anja, well, she's surprised me by not rolling in it!!!!! biggrin.gif

#17 claptrap

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'm sorry but the image of washing a dog in tomato juice  roll2.gif

#18 *Ker*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Possum pee. My ex's dog decided to chase a possum a tree. Possum was not amused and retaliated by spraying her. She hated baths and the only time I bathed her, she managed to cover ME in flea shampoo. So I wouldn't help the ex bath her lol.

#19 MegzG

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

away camping one easter with mates, there was all up 7 dogs there including our 2.

called them all to round them up for the 1.5hr drive into town to the pub for dinner, couldnt find our Brittany and the 8 week old kelpie puppy. Found them having an early dinner, dead deer.

so glad i was in the front seat of the car not the back, where the dogs were hanging their heads over the seats trying to lick the people sitting there.

#20 againagain

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

A gastro nappy he pulled out of the bin  sick.gif  He ate some of it and rolled in it for good measure.

There are not enough of these  sick.gif  faces to explain my disgust! Even after an Aloveen wash and leave in conditioner and deo, plus Greenies and charcoal biscuits for his breath, he still smelled of gastro poo.  sick.gif sick.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.