Movement at nearly 13 weeks?
Possible to feel?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Purelle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'm almost 13 weeks and could swear I can feel movements. Is this possible?

#2 FeralR2D2

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

no not possible, your jelly bean is not big enough to make much impact!

Earliest is about 17 weeks, although harder to feel for first pregnancy, easier second time round, so often you won't feel until 18+ weeks first time, and then a few weeks earlier second time once you know what you are looking out for...

probably just digestion!

#3 Georgie01

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I could definitely feel movement at 13 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy, I have absolutely no doubt.

Earliest is about 17 weeks, although harder to feel for first pregnancy, easier second time round, so often you won't feel until 18+ weeks first time, and then a few weeks earlier second time once you know what you are looking out for...

But a few weeks earlier than 18 weeks would be close to 13 weeks? It's not the OP's first pregnancy.

#4 Glitterz

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I definately felt movement at 13 weeks going on 14 with #2.  I think it could be possible.

#5 Rolex

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I felt #3 and #4 at 13 weeks, absolutely sure of it.

My first two I didn't feel until 21w and 18w.

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

* Disclaimer...I know people will disagree but I will still post this. original.gif

No you can not feel movements until your uterus is well into your abdominal cavity and not your pelvis.
Movements are felt only when the uterus is hit or kicked into the abdominal wall as the uterus has no internal sensory nerves.
If you could see the size if a 12 + week foetus you would realise it is impossible for it to have the strength to make a discernible movement.

OP if your baby is ahead in size and your dates a bit out it might be possible. I think that in a multipara it is not uncommon to feel movements around the 15 week mark but as there is physiology involved there is a reason that quickening is expected between 16 and 22 weeks.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Georgie01 @ 26/02/2013, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But a few weeks earlier than 18 weeks would be close to 13 weeks? It's not the OP's first pregnancy.

But there is an enormous rate of growth in these 6 weeks.
At 12.6 weeks the baby is about 7-8 cms long and at 18 weeks it is double that at 15cms.
The baby is no bigger just because it is not the first pregnancy.

#8 k10

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

The 'flutters' I felt at 17 weeks with my first pregnancy were felt at 13 weeks with my second

#9 fairymagic

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

STBG - as a midwife I would normally go with the logical explanation of why it isn't so but I felt my second move close to 12 weeks too. It wasn't in the abdominal area - it was very low on the left hand side of my stomach but more toward the groin. I didn't think it would be fetal movement at such an early stage but when I went to my first OB appointment he had warned me that getting a fetal heart at 12 weeks can be difficult at times due to the size and position of the fetus. Well, he got it alright - very low down on the left hand side of my stomach towards my groin - exactly where I had felt movement only a couple of days previously. So for me, I would say it is possible.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (fairymagic @ 26/02/2013, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
STBG - as a midwife I would normally go with the logical explanation of why it isn't so but I felt my second move close to 12 weeks too. It wasn't in the abdominal area - it was very low on the left hand side of my stomach but more toward the groin. I didn't think it would be fetal movement at such an early stage but when I went to my first OB appointment he had warned me that getting a fetal heart at 12 weeks can be difficult at times due to the size and position of the fetus. Well, he got it alright - very low down on the left hand side of my stomach towards my groin - exactly where I had felt movement only a couple of days previously. So for me, I would say it is possible.

I know that I am going to sound like a broken record but I do think it is very important for women to know what they are feeling and when they are feeling it. The EDD used to be calculated as 'quickening' plus 5 months so it  would be fair to say that if movements were felt too much earlier there would have been many babies induced too early yet it didn't happen.
I am a bit surprised fairymagic because we were taught very specifically the anatomy and physiology of foetal movements whilst doing midwifery and there are no sensory nerves within the uterus so unless the uterus is in contact with the abdominal wall it really is not possible to feel what is going on in there.
Don't misunderstand me, I felt those flutters too and if I hadn't known better I could have confused them for movements but since I still have these from time to time and I don't even have a uterus original.gif
The limbs of a 12 week old baby are just a few mms long, they do not have the strength and power to cause a movement we can perceive.

Again I apologise for my stance on this, I do not wear the 'wet blanket' label well but as I said I think that it is a very important milestone in a pregnancy so there should be no confusion about it happening in the first trimester.

#11 Kay1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

With DS1 I felt movement at 14 weeks. It was a series of repetitive taps and my mum who was with me put her hand on my belly and felt them too, they continued regularly from that point. STBG I do hear what you are saying but is it possible that this is because I have a very small waist/pelvis and so my uterus sat higher than normal?

With my second and third I felt no movement until much much later.

#12 Purelle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hiya, just to add its my fourth pregnancy and this will ( all going well ) be my third child. I'm a tiny frame usually size eight, but size six when fell due to loosing baby number three and subsequently my appetite. I look at least five months already. I'm only asking because its always at exactly the same time the last two days and feels like fluttering and then light tapping right down near my pelvic bone on the left.
I felt my first kick at nearly 15 weeks with my second bu he started out quite a large baby until I stated loosing waters at 28 weeks.
It may not be me feeling movement of the baby, the tapping and fluttering may just be dinner settling, but with others saying they felt movement too I might throw logic into the wind and think its jellybean reassuring me its healthy strong and hanging around this time. After all what's wrong with a little romantic notion every now and then xx
Thanks so much do everyone's input, I value everyone's opinion greatly but might let my inner optimist loose with this one. Still would love to hear others thoughts on when they felt movement.
I think I'm actually accepting this one is healthy and starting to feel the little butterflies of excitement I should have been having other than the fear and anxiety that's been turning me into a bit of a grumpy pessimist lately. Xx
Georgie01 I must be almost settling in here, you know some of my pg history. Feels nice to have other ops remember your previous posts. Thanks ladies biggrin.gif

#13 Georgie01

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

The baby is no bigger just because it is not the first pregnancy.

I'm well aware of that. However it is widely acknowledged that many people feel movement earlier with a second or subsequent pregnancy (which agrees with my own experiences).

I have no doubt about my own experience, my OB said it was unlikely but possible. I was very well aware of where my uterus was located at the time. Of course not everyone will feel movement at the same stage

OP, I've resorted to Google and find numerous sites claiming that fetal movement can be felt as early as 13 weeks by women who are pregnant for a second (or subsequent) time. These articles all read as if they are quoting the same source though and I can't find what that is so it could be a case of "someone put it on the web so I'll paraphrase it for my page". Other sites (including most of the more credible Australian ones) claim 16+ weeks (again, they read as if they are using the same source but it isn't credited). The hunt continues...

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Kay1 @ 26/02/2013, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With DS1 I felt movement at 14 weeks. It was a series of repetitive taps and my mum who was with me put her hand on my belly and felt them too, they continued regularly from that point. STBG I do hear what you are saying but is it possible that this is because I have a very small waist/pelvis and so my uterus sat higher than normal?

With my second and third I felt no movement until much much later.

Kay1 it is possible if you have a very small pelvis that meant that your uterus was up into your abdominal cavity that you'd feel movements. With my 5th I had movements at just over 15 and I do not have a tiny waist and a small pelvis original.gif
As women we come in so many shapes and sizes but our growing babies are pretty much similar to each other at the same gestation. At 12 + weeks no matter the size of our body the uterus is usually just felt at the top of the pelvic bone at  16 weeks it is midway between the pubic bone and the belly button at 20 weeks it is at the level of the belly button and 22 weeks at the top of the belly button and so on and this really does not vary too much despite our varying sizes.
The ability to feel movements earlier with subsequent babies seems to be because our uterus is thinner and there is less resistance to those tiny jabs.

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Georgie01 @ 26/02/2013, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm well aware of that. However it is widely acknowledged that many people feel movement earlier with a second or subsequent pregnancy (which agrees with my own experiences).

I have no doubt about my own experience, my OB said it was unlikely but possible. I was very well aware of where my uterus was located at the time. Of course not everyone will feel movement at the same stage

OP, I've resorted to Google and find numerous sites claiming that fetal movement can be felt as early as 13 weeks by women who are pregnant for a second (or subsequent) time. These articles all read as if they are quoting the same source though and I can't find what that is so it could be a case of "someone put it on the web so I'll paraphrase it for my page". Other sites (including most of the more credible Australian ones) claim 16+ weeks (again, they read as if they are using the same source but it isn't credited). The hunt continues...

Of course you'll find Google reference to women feeling movements at 13 weeks and before because so many are certain that is what they are  feeling. original.gif
Don't worry I am used to being a lone voice in these threads and am most certainly not out to take the fun of feeling the baby move but when some women are reporting movement at 9 weeks and others are petrified because they have reached 22 weeks and not felt anything I think it should be made quite clear what the expectation is.

I have had 5 babies, I know exactly the sensation that can easily be thought to be movements, I don't blame women who think this to be the case.
As a said in a PP  aside from the many lectures we had whilst doing my midwifery I have done much research on this, particularly after I was confused by the feelings I was having and it was very clear to me that any sensation in the first trimester were definitely not movements but thought to be the result of hormones on the bowel causing very marked peristalsis.

Honestly if this is what people want to believe it really isn't my business to burst their bubble but if someone asks I do feel compelled to explain the physiology involved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.