online maths programs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hamiriver

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

A quick discussion with one of the kids teachers this morning revealed that he was quite "low" in his mental maths book  and he is not focusing at the start and wanting to go to the bathroom, get water etc.
That automatically tells me he is avoiding doing it ...!

However, the maths book is for the year above them. Its not fair to make us both feel pressure that he is not up to standard if they are teaching" up" before he has learnt the basics. Some kids unfortunately just take longer to get the principles at their age . They are grade 2.

In addition to being alarmed that this wasnt brought to my attention earlier, I then have asked the question as to what the gaps are and what the school should do about it. I also need to attack this at home as well and need to find a easy way of reinforcing the basics as he is quite a negative / and dare I say lazy, so it will be a struggle getting him to do extra work.

We have study ladder, but not finding it that helpful. Does anyone have any comparisons of Studyladder, IXL and Mathletics or just go back to the good old workbooks.
thanks

#2 jupiter71

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

My kids find studyladder awful (school provides the subscription) They love IXL though, if your child is having trouble you can take him back a few levels to work out which concept in particular he started having problems with. It's to the National Curriculum as well, and builds on the skills.

#3 Lazycow

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

My kids use Mathletics (school supplies subscription) and they seem really enjoy using it. DD1 spends quite a bit of computer time on it and it seems easy enough to get started on, even my 5 yr old sometimes uses it.

#4 librablonde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

My kids have Studyladder and MathsMadeEasy and prefer Studyladder. I like Studyladder and that I can closely check their results. Also, the audio was really annoying on MathsMadeEasy. I also like that Studdyladder can have so many printable worksheets so it's not all computer based.

#5 Georgie Boy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone know any for high school maths?
I though macdonalds had something for high school students looking at something for yr 7
Louise

#6 gab72

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think Mathletics is great. My son is now in year 10 but found it particularly helpful in yrs 7-9.

#7 LiveLife

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

only used up to year 5 but have used IXL, Mathletics and Study Ladder.  IXL is by far the superior for maths by a country mile.  Schools often purchase mathletics because of the superior teacher controls +/- the games and other novelty features of "attraction" for children but on all other ways of comparing these programs IXL is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY superior.  DD is yr 3 and doing yr 5 on IXL on a home account and yr 5 on Mathetics on a school account--> she can blitz mathletics because it is so easy to predict the program, she can get everything correct without even knowing the maths concept yet IXL is presented in more complex ways, in progressively harder contexts and you have to understand the maths concept to progress.

however if you are purely trying to master mental maths year 2 can I suggest timezattack--> it is a fun computer game with all four operations to master and is timed to ensure speed is achieved.

#8 mum850

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

What live life said!
There is a think called 'mathsonline" for high school - it used to be free when it was sponsored by McDonalds
or mathemafix

#9 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

My DD has also had problems with maths since year 4 - she is now in year 4.  At their school they have matheletics and are sort of expected to do about 15 mins a afternoon on it.  Like you my DD is NOT keen as she is far more interested in pursuing her own interests and ideas after school.  Therefore I just couldn't persude her to spend any time on it.  I had her tutored for 6 months last year but still didn't help.  

I finally decided that I should do the tutoring myself - no small feat as she is very resistant and resents having to do it.  We just do about 45 mins together on Tuesdays.  At last I am seeing results.  Things seem to be starting to gel for her.  Not sure if this will translate to her report card?  What I discovered is that she had never fully mastered the basics and no one had taken the time to make sure she had.  Also they have strange new ways of teaching maths these days that many parents will not be familiar with. Drilling the times tables is no longer done.  In fact I have been told by teachers that it is up to us, the parents, to drill them in their times tables.  Wish someone had told me that 2 years ago!  I am pretty critical of the way they teach maths skills these days and I think that it is presented as far more complicated than in should be.  In addition I think they move to rapidly tthrough the maths curriculum, due to pressure from the new curriculum, (I'm in Qld) and as a result many kids just never have a chance to fully understand or consolidate...

I have taught my daughter how to tell the time.  I just foucsed on that for a few of our sessions and presto she understood.  Why can't this be done at school?  I also get her to sing along to a CD her times tables.  Then I work on things and I speak in plain English not fancy terminology until she fullly grasps what we are doing.  

Don't know why your child has higher level maths than he should?  Defintely ask the teacher about that one.  But also get a handle on how maths is taught and you may understand why he is having problems.  You'll probably have to spend time teaching him yourself as a lot of school work seems to be out-sourced to parents and tutuoring schools these days...Good luck

#10 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Meant to say DD's problems started in year 2 not year 4.

#11 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a link that points to some of the new methods that are used http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11258175

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Maths online is the one for high school kids. It was sponsored by McDonalds and was free, but the sponsorship has stopped and it now costs money.
But it looks fantastic... Just an info night at the high school, and the maths teacher showed it to us. The school actually spends a fair bit to get all their students access to it, and are very ,impressed with it.

#13 LiveLife

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Grumpy1 @ 03/03/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a link that points to some of the new methods that are used http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11258175

Interesting that some people consider these methods as new, I remember being taught chunking, estimation, mental multiplication, long multiplication and more.  You do tend to then pick a method you like best and stick to it but I was certainly taught all methods.  I personally think the methods these days aren't new it's just the orde rof teaching them is reversed and one method might get a little more focus than others.  One thing that I don't think DD has been taught well at school yet (grade 3) is when to chose which method --> that might be coming though but it is something I cover at home with her.

#14 meamoo

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I see a lot of schools use mathletics. I must admit, I prefer not to use online, just basic pieces of paper where I can see the working! Bit pointless otherwise.

#15 lisayvonne

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

There are lots of online math programs. As far as I know, there are kumon, T4L, Singapore math... We has been using online math, too. I registered my daughter on beestar. It's for elementary and high school. Programs are full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Worksheets are timed and scored. Plus, math is free for any grade. What a deal!  rolleyes.gif
Lisa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.