online maths programs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hamiriver

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

A quick discussion with one of the kids teachers this morning revealed that he was quite "low" in his mental maths book  and he is not focusing at the start and wanting to go to the bathroom, get water etc.
That automatically tells me he is avoiding doing it ...!

However, the maths book is for the year above them. Its not fair to make us both feel pressure that he is not up to standard if they are teaching" up" before he has learnt the basics. Some kids unfortunately just take longer to get the principles at their age . They are grade 2.

In addition to being alarmed that this wasnt brought to my attention earlier, I then have asked the question as to what the gaps are and what the school should do about it. I also need to attack this at home as well and need to find a easy way of reinforcing the basics as he is quite a negative / and dare I say lazy, so it will be a struggle getting him to do extra work.

We have study ladder, but not finding it that helpful. Does anyone have any comparisons of Studyladder, IXL and Mathletics or just go back to the good old workbooks.
thanks

#2 jupiter71

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

My kids find studyladder awful (school provides the subscription) They love IXL though, if your child is having trouble you can take him back a few levels to work out which concept in particular he started having problems with. It's to the National Curriculum as well, and builds on the skills.

#3 Lazycow

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

My kids use Mathletics (school supplies subscription) and they seem really enjoy using it. DD1 spends quite a bit of computer time on it and it seems easy enough to get started on, even my 5 yr old sometimes uses it.

#4 librablonde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

My kids have Studyladder and MathsMadeEasy and prefer Studyladder. I like Studyladder and that I can closely check their results. Also, the audio was really annoying on MathsMadeEasy. I also like that Studdyladder can have so many printable worksheets so it's not all computer based.

#5 Georgie Boy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone know any for high school maths?
I though macdonalds had something for high school students looking at something for yr 7
Louise

#6 gab72

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think Mathletics is great. My son is now in year 10 but found it particularly helpful in yrs 7-9.

#7 LiveLife

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

only used up to year 5 but have used IXL, Mathletics and Study Ladder.  IXL is by far the superior for maths by a country mile.  Schools often purchase mathletics because of the superior teacher controls +/- the games and other novelty features of "attraction" for children but on all other ways of comparing these programs IXL is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY superior.  DD is yr 3 and doing yr 5 on IXL on a home account and yr 5 on Mathetics on a school account--> she can blitz mathletics because it is so easy to predict the program, she can get everything correct without even knowing the maths concept yet IXL is presented in more complex ways, in progressively harder contexts and you have to understand the maths concept to progress.

however if you are purely trying to master mental maths year 2 can I suggest timezattack--> it is a fun computer game with all four operations to master and is timed to ensure speed is achieved.

#8 mum850

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

What live life said!
There is a think called 'mathsonline" for high school - it used to be free when it was sponsored by McDonalds
or mathemafix

#9 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

My DD has also had problems with maths since year 4 - she is now in year 4.  At their school they have matheletics and are sort of expected to do about 15 mins a afternoon on it.  Like you my DD is NOT keen as she is far more interested in pursuing her own interests and ideas after school.  Therefore I just couldn't persude her to spend any time on it.  I had her tutored for 6 months last year but still didn't help.  

I finally decided that I should do the tutoring myself - no small feat as she is very resistant and resents having to do it.  We just do about 45 mins together on Tuesdays.  At last I am seeing results.  Things seem to be starting to gel for her.  Not sure if this will translate to her report card?  What I discovered is that she had never fully mastered the basics and no one had taken the time to make sure she had.  Also they have strange new ways of teaching maths these days that many parents will not be familiar with. Drilling the times tables is no longer done.  In fact I have been told by teachers that it is up to us, the parents, to drill them in their times tables.  Wish someone had told me that 2 years ago!  I am pretty critical of the way they teach maths skills these days and I think that it is presented as far more complicated than in should be.  In addition I think they move to rapidly tthrough the maths curriculum, due to pressure from the new curriculum, (I'm in Qld) and as a result many kids just never have a chance to fully understand or consolidate...

I have taught my daughter how to tell the time.  I just foucsed on that for a few of our sessions and presto she understood.  Why can't this be done at school?  I also get her to sing along to a CD her times tables.  Then I work on things and I speak in plain English not fancy terminology until she fullly grasps what we are doing.  

Don't know why your child has higher level maths than he should?  Defintely ask the teacher about that one.  But also get a handle on how maths is taught and you may understand why he is having problems.  You'll probably have to spend time teaching him yourself as a lot of school work seems to be out-sourced to parents and tutuoring schools these days...Good luck

#10 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Meant to say DD's problems started in year 2 not year 4.

#11 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a link that points to some of the new methods that are used http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11258175

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Maths online is the one for high school kids. It was sponsored by McDonalds and was free, but the sponsorship has stopped and it now costs money.
But it looks fantastic... Just an info night at the high school, and the maths teacher showed it to us. The school actually spends a fair bit to get all their students access to it, and are very ,impressed with it.

#13 LiveLife

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Grumpy1 @ 03/03/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a link that points to some of the new methods that are used http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11258175

Interesting that some people consider these methods as new, I remember being taught chunking, estimation, mental multiplication, long multiplication and more.  You do tend to then pick a method you like best and stick to it but I was certainly taught all methods.  I personally think the methods these days aren't new it's just the orde rof teaching them is reversed and one method might get a little more focus than others.  One thing that I don't think DD has been taught well at school yet (grade 3) is when to chose which method --> that might be coming though but it is something I cover at home with her.

#14 meamoo

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I see a lot of schools use mathletics. I must admit, I prefer not to use online, just basic pieces of paper where I can see the working! Bit pointless otherwise.

#15 lisayvonne

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

There are lots of online math programs. As far as I know, there are kumon, T4L, Singapore math... We has been using online math, too. I registered my daughter on beestar. It's for elementary and high school. Programs are full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Worksheets are timed and scored. Plus, math is free for any grade. What a deal!  rolleyes.gif
Lisa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.