online maths programs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hamiriver

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

A quick discussion with one of the kids teachers this morning revealed that he was quite "low" in his mental maths book  and he is not focusing at the start and wanting to go to the bathroom, get water etc.
That automatically tells me he is avoiding doing it ...!

However, the maths book is for the year above them. Its not fair to make us both feel pressure that he is not up to standard if they are teaching" up" before he has learnt the basics. Some kids unfortunately just take longer to get the principles at their age . They are grade 2.

In addition to being alarmed that this wasnt brought to my attention earlier, I then have asked the question as to what the gaps are and what the school should do about it. I also need to attack this at home as well and need to find a easy way of reinforcing the basics as he is quite a negative / and dare I say lazy, so it will be a struggle getting him to do extra work.

We have study ladder, but not finding it that helpful. Does anyone have any comparisons of Studyladder, IXL and Mathletics or just go back to the good old workbooks.
thanks

#2 jupiter71

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

My kids find studyladder awful (school provides the subscription) They love IXL though, if your child is having trouble you can take him back a few levels to work out which concept in particular he started having problems with. It's to the National Curriculum as well, and builds on the skills.

#3 Lazycow

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

My kids use Mathletics (school supplies subscription) and they seem really enjoy using it. DD1 spends quite a bit of computer time on it and it seems easy enough to get started on, even my 5 yr old sometimes uses it.

#4 librablonde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

My kids have Studyladder and MathsMadeEasy and prefer Studyladder. I like Studyladder and that I can closely check their results. Also, the audio was really annoying on MathsMadeEasy. I also like that Studdyladder can have so many printable worksheets so it's not all computer based.

#5 Georgie Boy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone know any for high school maths?
I though macdonalds had something for high school students looking at something for yr 7
Louise

#6 gab72

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think Mathletics is great. My son is now in year 10 but found it particularly helpful in yrs 7-9.

#7 LiveLife

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

only used up to year 5 but have used IXL, Mathletics and Study Ladder.  IXL is by far the superior for maths by a country mile.  Schools often purchase mathletics because of the superior teacher controls +/- the games and other novelty features of "attraction" for children but on all other ways of comparing these programs IXL is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY superior.  DD is yr 3 and doing yr 5 on IXL on a home account and yr 5 on Mathetics on a school account--> she can blitz mathletics because it is so easy to predict the program, she can get everything correct without even knowing the maths concept yet IXL is presented in more complex ways, in progressively harder contexts and you have to understand the maths concept to progress.

however if you are purely trying to master mental maths year 2 can I suggest timezattack--> it is a fun computer game with all four operations to master and is timed to ensure speed is achieved.

#8 mum850

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

What live life said!
There is a think called 'mathsonline" for high school - it used to be free when it was sponsored by McDonalds
or mathemafix

#9 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

My DD has also had problems with maths since year 4 - she is now in year 4.  At their school they have matheletics and are sort of expected to do about 15 mins a afternoon on it.  Like you my DD is NOT keen as she is far more interested in pursuing her own interests and ideas after school.  Therefore I just couldn't persude her to spend any time on it.  I had her tutored for 6 months last year but still didn't help.  

I finally decided that I should do the tutoring myself - no small feat as she is very resistant and resents having to do it.  We just do about 45 mins together on Tuesdays.  At last I am seeing results.  Things seem to be starting to gel for her.  Not sure if this will translate to her report card?  What I discovered is that she had never fully mastered the basics and no one had taken the time to make sure she had.  Also they have strange new ways of teaching maths these days that many parents will not be familiar with. Drilling the times tables is no longer done.  In fact I have been told by teachers that it is up to us, the parents, to drill them in their times tables.  Wish someone had told me that 2 years ago!  I am pretty critical of the way they teach maths skills these days and I think that it is presented as far more complicated than in should be.  In addition I think they move to rapidly tthrough the maths curriculum, due to pressure from the new curriculum, (I'm in Qld) and as a result many kids just never have a chance to fully understand or consolidate...

I have taught my daughter how to tell the time.  I just foucsed on that for a few of our sessions and presto she understood.  Why can't this be done at school?  I also get her to sing along to a CD her times tables.  Then I work on things and I speak in plain English not fancy terminology until she fullly grasps what we are doing.  

Don't know why your child has higher level maths than he should?  Defintely ask the teacher about that one.  But also get a handle on how maths is taught and you may understand why he is having problems.  You'll probably have to spend time teaching him yourself as a lot of school work seems to be out-sourced to parents and tutuoring schools these days...Good luck

#10 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Meant to say DD's problems started in year 2 not year 4.

#11 Grumpy1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a link that points to some of the new methods that are used http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11258175

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Maths online is the one for high school kids. It was sponsored by McDonalds and was free, but the sponsorship has stopped and it now costs money.
But it looks fantastic... Just an info night at the high school, and the maths teacher showed it to us. The school actually spends a fair bit to get all their students access to it, and are very ,impressed with it.

#13 LiveLife

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Grumpy1 @ 03/03/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a link that points to some of the new methods that are used http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11258175

Interesting that some people consider these methods as new, I remember being taught chunking, estimation, mental multiplication, long multiplication and more.  You do tend to then pick a method you like best and stick to it but I was certainly taught all methods.  I personally think the methods these days aren't new it's just the orde rof teaching them is reversed and one method might get a little more focus than others.  One thing that I don't think DD has been taught well at school yet (grade 3) is when to chose which method --> that might be coming though but it is something I cover at home with her.

#14 meamoo

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I see a lot of schools use mathletics. I must admit, I prefer not to use online, just basic pieces of paper where I can see the working! Bit pointless otherwise.

#15 lisayvonne

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

There are lots of online math programs. As far as I know, there are kumon, T4L, Singapore math... We has been using online math, too. I registered my daughter on beestar. It's for elementary and high school. Programs are full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Worksheets are timed and scored. Plus, math is free for any grade. What a deal!  rolleyes.gif
Lisa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Chinese manufacturers tap into the cute factor with tree-grown babies.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.