Heated towel rails

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 humphreybear

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

We are renovating and thinking about hardwiring in heated towel rails but I'm unclear how they work. Does anyone know what the options are (in terms of how they work?). We'd put rails only in our en-suite (due to where they'd go) and a unit in the kid's bathroom. Do you need an even number of rails?

Thanks in advance.

#2 mards

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

we got them - used them for a season - Once we got the power bill we turned them OFF for good.. just our experience.

#3 greatwon2

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

We have one and have never even used it lol No useful suggestions , our one is a unit i would assume as its all the one thing , we did try it out when we moved in but it didn't do much at all so have never touched it again , it is very handy to hang clothes and towels on tho original.gif Might be just as useful and cheaper to have a second normal towel rail at least in the kids bathroom rather than a heated one?

#4 Purelle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

We have them, but installed the plug in type, not hard wired. Easy enough to replace if they break down.

#5 MrsShine

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

They were installed when our bathroom in my rented flat was renovated a few years ago - we loved them fleetingly but they rusted up super quick - must be all the wet towels I guess!

#6 beccaj

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Love ours, its a plug in, wall mounted unit - love using a warm towel on a cold morning.

Its turned off in summer - dont notice much difference with the electricity bill. Used it for 8 yrs now and no issues

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

When we build, we will be getting some heated towel rails from here.  I think this company also is the stockist for heated towel rails through Tradelink as well.  Know a few people who have used this brand and they are very happy with them (no rust, etc)

We will get them hard-wired with nearby programmable timer switches so that we can have the rail turn on/off as we choose. (have it turned off during summer, only on for an hour or two each day during winter)

We have had heated towel rails in some places we have rented and it was great, particularly in winter when towels don't necessarily dry out very well.  Turn it on when we get up in the morning, switch it off when we leave for work, so it's not on for a long time, but it does the job.

#8 Bluenomi

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I hate them, always manage to burn myself on them. I find a ducted heating vent in the bathroom is a much better option, that heats the whole room, not just the towels.

#9 Feral timtam

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

We have a plug in one in the downstairs bathroom. In winter when it often gets into the minuses here it is a godsend. Its certainly cheaper and safer than dashing out of the bathroom with a damp towel wrapped around you for a bedroom that has had a heater going full blast!

Our only problem with them is that they do get hot, This means you can burn yourself on it if you're not careful and I wouldn't want to leave a towel on it for too long as I'm paranoid about them overheating the towel and setting it on fire.

#10 FeralBob!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

We have a plug in one and I love it. I haven't found that it increases the power usage at all, and we've found it is good for keeping the bathroom a bit dryer as well.

#11 Beltie

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

We have a hardwired one in our ensuite. It has a programmable timer hidden inside the vanity and turns on for 90 mins every morning + evening. It doesn't do much (anything?) to warm the room but it does dry the towels so they don't go stinky in our humid summers.

The timer has an auto/manual switch too so we switch it off easily when we go away.

We have had it for more than 5 years and there isn't any rust on it. When we eventually renovate the family bathroom we will put another in there. Ours is very warm to touch but not burning hot so I think safe for our children to be near.

ETA ours came from the same company that YodaTheWrinkledOne linked. I ordered online and had it shipped here. We've used them twice and both times they were great. Ours are still shiny like new.

Edited by Beltie, 26 February 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#12 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 26/02/2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate them, always manage to burn myself on them. I find a ducted heating vent in the bathroom is a much better option, that heats the whole room, not just the towels.

QUOTE (tamjk @ 26/02/2013, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a plug in one in the downstairs bathroom. In winter when it often gets into the minuses here it is a godsend. Its certainly cheaper and safer than dashing out of the bathroom with a damp towel wrapped around you for a bedroom that has had a heater going full blast!

Our only problem with them is that they do get hot, This means you can burn yourself on it if you're not careful and I wouldn't want to leave a towel on it for too long as I'm paranoid about them overheating the towel and setting it on fire.

If you are burning yourself  on the heated towels rails, I'd get an electrician to look at them.  They shouldn't be that hot.  Ours is definitely warm, but you can hold it when it's heated and not get burnt.  I certainly am not concerned about them potentially burning my children.  We wouldn't use them at all if that was an issue.

#13 FiveAus

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

We have a freestanding one, as our towels never dry in winter. It is gently warm, it stays on all the time during the cold weather as its not hot enough to dry a towel in a few hours. I have not noticed a higher power bill.

#14 Chchgirl

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

We had a plug in one in our house in Nz, I found it invaluable in winter over there! Our power bills were astronomical over there (power is very expensive in Nz, our bills were the same monthly as they are quarterly over here, even with saving and a discount) so I wouldn't know if it made a difference or not.

I loved them but wouldn't find them necessary where I live in Sydney.

#15 aluminium

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

We have a plug-in one from Bunnings. LOVE IT! Dries the towel, warms them. I don't tend to wash my towels as often as I did without it - I think the drying makes them feel fresher for longer. It uses hardly any power (I measured as I monitor our power usage). It's not hot enough to burn me when I touch it.

#16 Tarantara

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (aluminium @ 26/02/2013, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a plug-in one from Bunnings. LOVE IT! Dries the towel, warms them. I don't tend to wash my towels as often as I did without it - I think the drying makes them feel fresher for longer. It uses hardly any power (I measured as I monitor our power usage). It's not hot enough to burn me when I touch it.

This is exactly my experience. I wouldn't be without one while living anywhere like Melbourne. If you're living somewhere warm, unless you have an unventilated flat, it might not be so useful.

My old bathroom, also in Melbourne, had constant issues with mould from condensation till we picked up a heated towel rail.

#17 *LucyE*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I had wanted one for a long time to help with drying our towels (too cold in winter, too humid in summer)  I would have gone with the auto timer options.

We have since put in ducted air con/heating. This has been brilliant and I no longer desire a heated towel rack.

#18 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Totally unnecessary as far as I can see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.