Test for cystic fibrosis

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MotherMonkey

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

(so sorry if this has already been asked but couldn't find it amongst the posts...)
Just wanting to know if anyone has had the test for cystic fibrosis performed? And if so, how much does it cost?
There is no history of cystic fibrosis in either of our families, but obviously that doesn't rules us out as being recessive carriers...I just hate to think I didn't do everything I could...

#2 Moffetta

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Do you mean get the bub tested in utero? If you are concerned maybe just get your partner tested. You both need to be carriers for the baby to get it and I personally think it would be easier for him to be tested then yet another for you to go through.

Wait I'm confused actually do you mean getting tested before falling pregnant or are you already pregnant?

#3 Eirinn

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

There are lots of things you could be a carrier of.....I wouldn't bother if I were you.

#4 MotherMonkey

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Already pregnant Moffetta (16wks), my obs offered it to me as he says he does everyone, & it's just a mouth swab so it won't affect the baby...
So only one of us would need to be tested (unless the one tested turned out to be a carrier?)

#5 Threelittleducks

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yes - it was a few years ago now, so our prices may be out of date. If I recall correctly, only one of you needs to be tested and assuming you're not a carrier, that's all you need to know.
There was no reimbursement from Medicare and it cost around $200. You may be able to claim a deduction at tax time.

ETA - We were tested as part of fertility treatment prior to falling pregnant.....

Good Luck

Edited by Twolittleducks, 25 February 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#6 **mj**

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I had a blood test for this prior to falling pregnant as I do have a family history. For me it was free and the results become part of a study for Womens & Childrens Hospital. I am a carrier.
Thankfully my husband tested negative so we dint have to look any further in to what to do. I cant remember now if they tested my kids to follow the line.. hmm might have to check that out next time im at our Dr's.

GL

#7 Wineandchocolate

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

We just had a blood test (my DH and I) as there is a history of it in my family.  We are both carriers.  But as others have said, both parents need to be at least a carrier for there to be any possibility of your baby being affected, so only one of you needs to be tested initially.  If that test comes back as positive, then the other parent should get tested too.

#8 Moffetta

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

What would you do if it was positive?

I wouldn't bother, I would wait for the heel prick, this comes from someone who has a niece with CF.

I personally think there are much worse things out there and with proper treatment life expectancy is these days is to too bad.

Eta: I wouldn't bother if there was no history.

Edited by Moffetta, 25 February 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#9 CFMummy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Why are you so worried or are you hoping your child may have this horendess genetic disease.
The test will only check for the most common genes and with no family history your chances are extreamly low.
I have a DD with CF she has no known genes as yet so my advice is dont waste your time or money unless you are so sure you are a carrier that you wouldnt keep the child anyway

#10 TillyTake2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

What would you do if it was positive? If you wouldn't terminate then why test. I have a friend with a beautiful little boy with CF. I can't imagine him not being here.

#11 caninestorm

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I have CF, no family history.

Keep in mind that the swab test only tests for the most common mutation. There are actually over one thousand different mutations, most of which we cannot test for here in Australia. If I had no family history I probably wouldn't worry about the test.

#12 Tammoi01

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (MotherMonkey @ 25/02/2013, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(so sorry if this has already been asked but couldn't find it amongst the posts...)
Just wanting to know if anyone has had the test for cystic fibrosis performed? And if so, how much does it cost?
There is no history of cystic fibrosis in either of our families, but obviously that doesn't rules us out as being recessive carriers...I just hate to think I didn't do everything I could...

Neither my partner or I have any family history, but as this is our first baby we want to know everything to prepare ourselves. No we wouldn't terminate, but my partner likes to be prepared for any situation.
So we did the test, I'm pretty sure it was around $200 with no medicare rebate. But if you've got the paperwork and the swab stick from your ob, all the info should be in there.

#13 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I did the blood test for Cystic Fibrosis, Fragile X and one other I cannot remember. It cost $385 and is non-Mediaid.

However I already carry a genetic condition I have a good chance of passing on and that combined with Downs etc would mean a really disabled child which isn't fair.

Also there's guilt factor. My father is so upset and guilty about my condition, but the fact is that he DIDN'T know.

#14 Stoked

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

I had it done last year and it cost $220 (in Victoria).

#15 MotherMonkey

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (CFMummy @ 25/02/2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are you so worried or are you hoping your child may have this horendess genetic disease.

CFMummy this forum is for asking questions and advice, your comment is not helpful to anyone. I, like everyone else, just hopes for a healthy child & am wanting to do everything in my power to achieve this. When an obstetrician offers you a test it is nice to have all the details.

#16 bright*future

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

My husband and I both did the mouth swabs through a fertility clinic (I think you could probably get the same thing doen through a GP?) and it was about $250 and the results were back within about a week.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (CFMummy @ 25/02/2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What were you thinking responding with this? unsure.gif

#18 elle-M

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

I had a soft marker show up on my 19 week US (echogenic bowel) so DH and I had a blood test to rule out a bunch of things, including CF. It came back that neither of us are carriers so unlikely our baby will have CF (they only test for the most common types so it doesn't 100% rule it out).

In order to have a child with CF you must have two carriers as parents, but even then there is only 1/4 chance of the baby having CF (50% chance you'll have a baby who is a carrier themselves but doesn't actually have active CF, 25% chance they are not a carrier and 25% chance they have the disease).

Hope that helps. If it's a simple mouth swab and it might help reduce your anxiety I don't see the harm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.