Morning Sickness
What makes it better or worse?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Klj1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi All,

I gotta say so far I'm one of the lucky ones, a little nausea every now and then but only a few moments of serious sicky feelings and often a couple of burps eased it right up. Apart from that just severe hunger. And when I eat it often feels like my stomach is an incinerator- whoosh- gone! ohmy.gif

I have been thinking carefully the whole time about what makes me feel better or worse, and I think it would be great if we can share, maybe use our collective knowledge. wink.gif

I've noticed that eating sweet stuff when hungry is bad, leading to sick/hungry feelings. If I eat something sweet, I always couple it with something savoury.

Vegetables I always couple with more substantial starchy stuff and fruit goes down best after a meal.

If I choose and prepare what I eat, its way better than making a selection from a restaurant etc.

I no longer have any desire to snack on nuts as I feel they are too rich/oily and not substantial enough.

Too much liquid is also bad, eg soup or smoothies as it sloshes around in the belly and contributes to that "gurgly" feeling.

Do not cave in and eat curry with coconut, wayyyy too rich! I made the mistake once, but not again.

Some foods that go down well include toasties, waffles with berries, toast, potatoes, pasta (lasagne is awesome! biggrin.gif ), stir fry with vegies and tofu, meat is pretty good to esp when coupled with starch, nachos/mexican but not too spicy.

Finally, I also find that it really helps to go lie down after a meal if I'm feelin bad and let my tummy settle a little. So leave the dishes for a bit or let DH do them!

#2 Cooperdoo

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I find that if you can keep your blood sugar levels up it helps enormously.

I try to have a sweet drink to raise my levels and then once I feel a little better then I'll try to eat something. I hate things that take too long to chew atm.

I ate a huge plate of nachos last night, just chips, meat and a salsa with sour cream. It was so good.

#3 MrsRadiant

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Cooperdoo those nachos sound delicious!!
I have been eating quite basic, my nausea is usually bad first thing in morning, I have been having a cold milo and two English muffins with promite, can eat much other stuff

#4 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

a pickle (the amaaazing Israeli ones) helped enormously. all through the day. I ate so many pickles I don't want to even LOOK at them now that she's born.

but for me it was definitely vinegar and salty things. In enormous quantities.

also, B6.

#5 dimensionk

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

It's always a catch as you need to eat to not feel sick, but you feel sick so can't manage to eat. I find watermelon is the easiest thing to eat to make me feel better. I've been having so much of it. Delicious...
Was on the cheese and crackers for a while, but getting so sick of them.
At 8 weeks today and have hit a new low with the sickness. I don't mind though, it's a reassuring sign.

#6 A-ZMum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I hear you, dimensionk. MS has really reared its ugly head here tonight.  
Things that got me through last time
- fruit tingles
- ginger beer
- lemon/lime drinks (fizzy)
- ribena
- up-n-go drinks
- crumpets
- salt and vinegar chips
- macadamia nuts

Good luck!  My sister kept a jar of baby food by her bed and had some first thing in the morning before she got out of bed.  SHe swears by that remedy!

#7 Fi_80

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I second the salt and vinegar chips as helping with MS.

One thing that doesn't help, as I found out the hard way this morning, is juice on an empty stomach. It came straight up again after about 20 mins  sick.gif

My MS has started to kick in over the last few days. Up until lunchtime I cycle between starving - eat - feel better - feel nauseous / have reflux - starving etc. After lunch it all settles down and I feel fine.

#8 Cooperdoo

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yes salt and vinegar chips are great!

I'm snacking on these honey bbq chicken shapes today. They are really helping, and easy to eat.

#9 Klj1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hi Fi, what kind of juice is it? I make my own, either apple ginger or watermelon. That goes down ok but I also eat straight after.

Btw anyone struggling with tap water? I bought some spring water which helps a lot.

Great to see the variety of solutions!

#10 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Rest, snacking, sugary foods. Nothing else helps mine. B6 made me very ill & Maxolon knocked me out (which was no good with 3 young children to care for).

I second (third) the S&V chips. They've worked wonders here.

My GP also told me not to drink water on an empty stomach. Having a few sips of something sugary before I drink water in the morning really helps.

#11 FeralGiggelosaurus

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Soda water is the best thing EVER!!!!!!!!!!!  ( thank goodness we have a soda stream, or this new addiction could get expensive)

#12 Fi_80

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Klj - it was apple and pinapple bought from the supermarket. I normally have it with food as well and have no problems. I won't be having it by itself again!

#13 June Bee

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I fourth (?) S & v chips. They are one of the only things I can eat.

Leftwrightout -Up&Go drinks are also great.

Other foods I can eat atm:
- Uncle Toby's Crunchy muesli bars
- Vegemite sandwiches
- icecream (Cadbury dairy milk)
- cheddar shapes
- spaghetti pies (made by my Mum  original.gif )
- fudge (left overs made for DH's work morning tea)

Bitter lemon and lemon lime and bitters soft drinks are doing wonders for my stomach.Not sure how/why!

I really want a frosty fruit but we don't have any and I'm too sick to go out to get any!

Edited by June Bee, 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#14 dimensionk

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Reading these posts has made me crave Salt & Vinegar chips. I'll have to get my fix soon!

#15 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

For DP, it's usually ice water (as cold as she can get it) and crystallised ginger. Both usually keep symptoms down for awhile.

I might put her onto the salt and vinegar chips though, she loves them and will definitely take the excuse...

#16 *molly*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Where do you get crystallised ginger Dabri?

My morning sickness has just started over the last couple of days and I'm wondering if it'll get any worse. Did people find that it got worse gradually, or did it just start one day and that was it?

#17 Klj1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Molly, mine is very mild but started worse and eased off so long as I'm careful... Hope it's not too bad!

#18 *molly*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Klj1 @ 28/02/2013, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Molly, mine is very mild but started worse and eased off so long as I'm careful... Hope it's not too bad!

Ooh how lucky! Mine was not too bad today, have been eating small amounts religiously all day.

#19 Chaton

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

If it hasn't already been suggested you could try those motion sickness wrist bands.  I had them when pregnant with DS and took the edge off my nausea.

I believe I read somewhere that sniffing lemon peel or lemon oil works too.  And peppermint tea.

#20 Everafter

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've been feeling bloated and queasy all day so opened a bottle of schweppes dry gingerale and had a glass with dinner - I felt so much better.

#21 MrsRadiant

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Couldn't keep breakfast down!
Think ill try making a veggie soup today.
And going to buy two min noodles and watermelon
Oh and ginger ale sounds ok.

Eta: time to force myself  out of bed now!!

Edited by MrsRadiant, 01 March 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#22 June Bee

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Molly I found mine kind of crept out of no where. Then I started getting queasy/heavy tummy/ingestion and I eventually got more and more nauseas.

Dabri - I totally recommend the S&v chips! I find they really help me. I'm having both smiths and redrock deli to mix it up a bit haha  wink.gif

MrsRadiant I feel like watermelon now!

MS was really getting me down last night. I feel guilty complaining about it as I know I'm lucky to be pg at all as some people have so much trouble. But I was so sick all day and haven't been able to walk all week without getting really sick. I also feel guilty as my DH is wonderful and has been doing all my share of the chores plus he works long hours and is finishing off a postgrad degree in the evenings. I was also stressing about work as I haven't been for days and my files will be piling up:( The dr gave me some pramin but it didn't work for the nausea and just put me to sleep. But, I woke up today and I think it's starting to ease off a bit! I'm so thrilled!!

#23 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (*molly* @ 27/02/2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where do you get crystallised ginger Dabri?

My morning sickness has just started over the last couple of days and I'm wondering if it'll get any worse. Did people find that it got worse gradually, or did it just start one day and that was it?

Sorry didn't even see this... They stock it in our local supermarket in with the dried fruit, sultanas etc. Although we found some chocolate covered crystallised ginger at the same Foodland in the big plastic tubs of lollies so she got that instead.

We bought S&V chips then we ate them all! So much for leaving them for morning sickness times...

I swear her morning sickness is worse this time caround than last time - already. Did I mention that I have a major vomit phobia?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.