Morning Sickness
What makes it better or worse?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Klj1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi All,

I gotta say so far I'm one of the lucky ones, a little nausea every now and then but only a few moments of serious sicky feelings and often a couple of burps eased it right up. Apart from that just severe hunger. And when I eat it often feels like my stomach is an incinerator- whoosh- gone! ohmy.gif

I have been thinking carefully the whole time about what makes me feel better or worse, and I think it would be great if we can share, maybe use our collective knowledge. wink.gif

I've noticed that eating sweet stuff when hungry is bad, leading to sick/hungry feelings. If I eat something sweet, I always couple it with something savoury.

Vegetables I always couple with more substantial starchy stuff and fruit goes down best after a meal.

If I choose and prepare what I eat, its way better than making a selection from a restaurant etc.

I no longer have any desire to snack on nuts as I feel they are too rich/oily and not substantial enough.

Too much liquid is also bad, eg soup or smoothies as it sloshes around in the belly and contributes to that "gurgly" feeling.

Do not cave in and eat curry with coconut, wayyyy too rich! I made the mistake once, but not again.

Some foods that go down well include toasties, waffles with berries, toast, potatoes, pasta (lasagne is awesome! biggrin.gif ), stir fry with vegies and tofu, meat is pretty good to esp when coupled with starch, nachos/mexican but not too spicy.

Finally, I also find that it really helps to go lie down after a meal if I'm feelin bad and let my tummy settle a little. So leave the dishes for a bit or let DH do them!

#2 Cooperdoo

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I find that if you can keep your blood sugar levels up it helps enormously.

I try to have a sweet drink to raise my levels and then once I feel a little better then I'll try to eat something. I hate things that take too long to chew atm.

I ate a huge plate of nachos last night, just chips, meat and a salsa with sour cream. It was so good.

#3 MrsRadiant

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Cooperdoo those nachos sound delicious!!
I have been eating quite basic, my nausea is usually bad first thing in morning, I have been having a cold milo and two English muffins with promite, can eat much other stuff

#4 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

a pickle (the amaaazing Israeli ones) helped enormously. all through the day. I ate so many pickles I don't want to even LOOK at them now that she's born.

but for me it was definitely vinegar and salty things. In enormous quantities.

also, B6.

#5 dimensionk

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

It's always a catch as you need to eat to not feel sick, but you feel sick so can't manage to eat. I find watermelon is the easiest thing to eat to make me feel better. I've been having so much of it. Delicious...
Was on the cheese and crackers for a while, but getting so sick of them.
At 8 weeks today and have hit a new low with the sickness. I don't mind though, it's a reassuring sign.

#6 A-ZMum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I hear you, dimensionk. MS has really reared its ugly head here tonight.  
Things that got me through last time
- fruit tingles
- ginger beer
- lemon/lime drinks (fizzy)
- ribena
- up-n-go drinks
- crumpets
- salt and vinegar chips
- macadamia nuts

Good luck!  My sister kept a jar of baby food by her bed and had some first thing in the morning before she got out of bed.  SHe swears by that remedy!

#7 Fi_80

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I second the salt and vinegar chips as helping with MS.

One thing that doesn't help, as I found out the hard way this morning, is juice on an empty stomach. It came straight up again after about 20 mins  sick.gif

My MS has started to kick in over the last few days. Up until lunchtime I cycle between starving - eat - feel better - feel nauseous / have reflux - starving etc. After lunch it all settles down and I feel fine.

#8 Cooperdoo

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yes salt and vinegar chips are great!

I'm snacking on these honey bbq chicken shapes today. They are really helping, and easy to eat.

#9 Klj1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hi Fi, what kind of juice is it? I make my own, either apple ginger or watermelon. That goes down ok but I also eat straight after.

Btw anyone struggling with tap water? I bought some spring water which helps a lot.

Great to see the variety of solutions!

#10 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Rest, snacking, sugary foods. Nothing else helps mine. B6 made me very ill & Maxolon knocked me out (which was no good with 3 young children to care for).

I second (third) the S&V chips. They've worked wonders here.

My GP also told me not to drink water on an empty stomach. Having a few sips of something sugary before I drink water in the morning really helps.

#11 FeralGiggelosaurus

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Soda water is the best thing EVER!!!!!!!!!!!  ( thank goodness we have a soda stream, or this new addiction could get expensive)

#12 Fi_80

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Klj - it was apple and pinapple bought from the supermarket. I normally have it with food as well and have no problems. I won't be having it by itself again!

#13 June Bee

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I fourth (?) S & v chips. They are one of the only things I can eat.

Leftwrightout -Up&Go drinks are also great.

Other foods I can eat atm:
- Uncle Toby's Crunchy muesli bars
- Vegemite sandwiches
- icecream (Cadbury dairy milk)
- cheddar shapes
- spaghetti pies (made by my Mum  original.gif )
- fudge (left overs made for DH's work morning tea)

Bitter lemon and lemon lime and bitters soft drinks are doing wonders for my stomach.Not sure how/why!

I really want a frosty fruit but we don't have any and I'm too sick to go out to get any!

Edited by June Bee, 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#14 dimensionk

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Reading these posts has made me crave Salt & Vinegar chips. I'll have to get my fix soon!

#15 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

For DP, it's usually ice water (as cold as she can get it) and crystallised ginger. Both usually keep symptoms down for awhile.

I might put her onto the salt and vinegar chips though, she loves them and will definitely take the excuse...

#16 *molly*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Where do you get crystallised ginger Dabri?

My morning sickness has just started over the last couple of days and I'm wondering if it'll get any worse. Did people find that it got worse gradually, or did it just start one day and that was it?

#17 Klj1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Molly, mine is very mild but started worse and eased off so long as I'm careful... Hope it's not too bad!

#18 *molly*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Klj1 @ 28/02/2013, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Molly, mine is very mild but started worse and eased off so long as I'm careful... Hope it's not too bad!

Ooh how lucky! Mine was not too bad today, have been eating small amounts religiously all day.

#19 Chaton

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

If it hasn't already been suggested you could try those motion sickness wrist bands.  I had them when pregnant with DS and took the edge off my nausea.

I believe I read somewhere that sniffing lemon peel or lemon oil works too.  And peppermint tea.

#20 Everafter

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've been feeling bloated and queasy all day so opened a bottle of schweppes dry gingerale and had a glass with dinner - I felt so much better.

#21 MrsRadiant

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Couldn't keep breakfast down!
Think ill try making a veggie soup today.
And going to buy two min noodles and watermelon
Oh and ginger ale sounds ok.

Eta: time to force myself  out of bed now!!

Edited by MrsRadiant, 01 March 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#22 June Bee

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Molly I found mine kind of crept out of no where. Then I started getting queasy/heavy tummy/ingestion and I eventually got more and more nauseas.

Dabri - I totally recommend the S&v chips! I find they really help me. I'm having both smiths and redrock deli to mix it up a bit haha  wink.gif

MrsRadiant I feel like watermelon now!

MS was really getting me down last night. I feel guilty complaining about it as I know I'm lucky to be pg at all as some people have so much trouble. But I was so sick all day and haven't been able to walk all week without getting really sick. I also feel guilty as my DH is wonderful and has been doing all my share of the chores plus he works long hours and is finishing off a postgrad degree in the evenings. I was also stressing about work as I haven't been for days and my files will be piling up:( The dr gave me some pramin but it didn't work for the nausea and just put me to sleep. But, I woke up today and I think it's starting to ease off a bit! I'm so thrilled!!

#23 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (*molly* @ 27/02/2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where do you get crystallised ginger Dabri?

My morning sickness has just started over the last couple of days and I'm wondering if it'll get any worse. Did people find that it got worse gradually, or did it just start one day and that was it?

Sorry didn't even see this... They stock it in our local supermarket in with the dried fruit, sultanas etc. Although we found some chocolate covered crystallised ginger at the same Foodland in the big plastic tubs of lollies so she got that instead.

We bought S&V chips then we ate them all! So much for leaving them for morning sickness times...

I swear her morning sickness is worse this time caround than last time - already. Did I mention that I have a major vomit phobia?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.