Science & Maths Degree students
No longer a national priority

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 B.feral3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's first day of term today and the first day I have learned that the rest of my degree (I've done 10 subjects out of 24) is now going to cost me double.  sad.gif sad.gif  

I'm absolutely gutted.

I was paying $540 per course (less 10% because I was paying upfront) and now I will be paying from $1045-$1300 per course. (PLUS the new SA fee that was introduced last year for crying out loud.)

How can they do this to students part way though their degree.  mad.gif Are any other EB'ers affected by this?

As I said, it's first day of term and my really good friend who is studying the same degree as me has had to drop out this afternoon. She is a NZ citizen but been living here for 24 years. She has a Commonwealth supported place but is not eligible for HECS so she pays upfront. This is simply unaffordable for her.

I just want to cry; for myself and my friend.

There was brief mention of this in the news 4 days ago it seems.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-edu...x-1226581401222

I totally missed whatever memo went out about this before now though. It seems there wasn't one though because students in my uni FB group are infuriated. (My degree is Medical Science.  sad.gif sad.gif )

#2 tibs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I read about that mid way through last year in one of the publications the uni puts out (Sydney Uni).  But I didn't realise it affected existing students, the way the article read it was students starting a degree from 2013 onwards would pay the HECS Band 2 not those already part way through the degree  oomg2.gif   That is outrageous.  Good thing there is an election this year because this govt has passed their use by date.

Edited to add this is what the article that I saw mentioned, it is apparently a quote from a govt Minister?  Total backflip, typical.
Students who commence their course between 1 January 2009 and 31 December 2012 will not be affected by this change and will continue to pay a reduced student contribution amount until 31 December 2015.

Edited by tibs, 25 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#3 RHJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I didn't study those degrees, but this happened the year before I started my course (I was accepted the in 2009). It only effected the students who started the year I did 2010). Anyone who started in 2009 or before were not effected and continued to pay the lower amount. Very strange to do it to you mid course.

#4 B.feral3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Yes, total backflip. It's for ALL students PP, not just new ones. This press release is more recent than the one you saw and quoted above other PP.

The Government has announced that, subject to the passage of legislation, from 1 January 2013, the maximum student contribution amounts for all students enrolled in maths or science units will increase from the National Priority rate ($4,520 per EFTSL in 2012, indexed annually) to Band 2 ($8,050 per EFTSL in 2012, indexed annually).

This means that the maximum student contribution amounts for mathematics, statistics and science units of study will now be the same for all students, no matter when they commenced their course.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassis...d-science-units

I am so so so gutted.  sad.gif I was just talking to another friend of mine who is a mature age single parent. A recent increase in the cost of JET, plus now the doubling of the cost of her degree and she's seriously considering quitting before census date because she's finally been priced out of tertiary education.  sad.gif

How can they do this to us half way though our degree.  sad.gif

I was paying $540 per subject minus a 20% discount for paying up front. (Last year that discount was reduced to 10%) I was not deferring to HECS but rather paying upfront.

Therefor I was paying about $460 per subject. Now I will be paying between $1045 and $1300 per subject.

Obviously I can't pay that upfront so I will deffer and it will attract 3% inflation per year. So I'll be going from paying $460 per subject up front to deferring up to $1300 per subject. Then of course the SA fee of $200 per year was added last year so the degree will be close to 3 times what I expected it would cost when I started.

I'm also wondering if it's worth it. I am just so down right now that I want to quit.  cry1.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Edited by Bek+3, 25 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#5 B.feral3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

http://gooduniguide.com.au/Latest-news/HEC...science-degrees

It seems that not even the student unions knew about this. I know mine didn't until yesterday and now you can't even get through to them on the phone. This was not meant to be for current students.  sad.gif sad.gif  Every press release has stated current science and maths students enrolled before 31 Dec 12 will not be affected until after 2015... then our invoices were presented this morning and BANG.

I can't believe this isn't huge news to be honest. No one cares about students or tertiary education it seems. Just sports and socialites.

#6 CupcakeMumma

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yes my daughter is in the same boat, she is in the last year of her degree.  She was under the assumption it would be the same rate for the entire degree.  Not so sad.gif. She's luckily gotten some research work but poor form on the govt.

#7 stephmd85

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm disappointed but not surprised as I assumed the "national priority" could change from year to year. The national priority at the moment seems to be saving money!!!!

#8 Shellby

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I knew about it - as I started my science degree this year and I remember thinking I would hate to one of the existing students who just had their fees increased after having it cheaper the last few years.

The info was out there but I found it in tiny news stories (in our local country newspaper)  - I guess the government didn't want to make a huge thing about it and have all these students spending their summer on their doorstep protesting. Instead like your friend they will just quit quietly and they will have saved their money.

The national priority at the moment seems to be saving money!!!!

This is what they are doing it, they said yes we still are short of these people studying these degrees, but we can't afford to keep paying for them - so they are cutting back and sticking to things like nursing etc - say they cut nursing and they would get the nursing union involved which they wouldn't want - especially in an election year - however there isn't any science maths profession union though...so which is easier? Not that I would ever agree with taking the extra funding from nursing - just using it as an example of a professional backup whereas we don't have that.

Sorry you found out the way you did.

#9 Lori-SBB

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

On the bright side if after you graduate you get a job in a field related to your degree the government will give you a HECs rebate at the end of each financial year... So essentially they are raising the fees to then pay them themselves later...

Makes all sorts of sense!

HECS-HELP benefit for maths, science, education and nursing (including midwifery) graduates

About the benefit
This benefit is not a cash payment, but an amount of up to $1,635.75 in the 2011-12 income year (1 July - 30 June) that reduces your compulsory HELP repayment
The benefit was introduced on:
1 July 2009 for maths or science graduates
1 July 2010 for education and nursing graduates.
You may apply annually once the income year (1 July - 30 June) you wish to apply for has ended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Thief uses breast milk as weapon

Police are on the hunt for a thief who robbed a pharmacy using her lactation skills.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.