I used to believe it was owners at fault....
Pet section - Warning- Graphic

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 smelliecat

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Warning, the content of this post contains graphic descriptions of an animal's death - Chelli

I have always been a firm believer that it is not the breed of dog but moreso the way they have been bought up. I have never jumped on bandwagons about viscious dogs and didn't think that I would ever change but last Thursday, I arrived home with my children to what resembled a scene from a horror movie.

We live on acreage with plenty of animals and had 2 five year old pure English staffies (Brother and sister both desexed), a bull mastiff x sharpei (absolute sook of a puppy) and my sons English American Staffy and have never really had any issues until last week.

My DH and I had our 3 girls in the car and pulled into our property to find that a Brahman steer was missing from his paddock. Upon further investigation, our entertainment area was flattened, furniture broken, pot plants smashed, the TV hanging off the bar but as we got even closer we realised that the walls were sprayed with blood. Our poor bull was laying in a garden, broken leg, his ears missing, a mutilated nose and one of his horns gone as well. My girls were screaming, my 12 year old arrived home 5 minutes later and he too was devastated. It was pure hell.

We had a horse vet arrive about 15 minutes later and she gave us a 50/50 chance of him pulling through but the outcome would not be favorable so he was put down straight away. I won't ever forget the look in his beautiful eyes sad.gif

Our dogs on the other hand were covered in blood, they had been locked in our shed by us and we made the decision to put them down the following day for fear of our children's safety as well as other animals in the rural area. It has taken us days to clean blood off three outside walls of our house, our property has a vile smile of old blood even though we have had rain.

Our dogs were part of our family, they were fed twice a day as well as getting scraps etc, they got bones, were always healthy and given medical attention if they required it ($600 had been spent the previous week on surgery for one of the staffies) They were given so much attention and were allowed inside at times and yet they turned, without warning they turned and they tortured a 300kg beast for hours on end and I am devastated.

So devastated that they could do that and I did not even say goodbye as my DH drove them to the vet on Friday morning.

So it happens, I never thought it would happen to us but it did and there are certain breeds now that I will never trust again. sad.gif

Edited by Chelli, 27 February 2013 - 06:20 AM.
Place graphic content warning

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Im so sorry this has happened & have no words. I really feel for your familyx

#3 Therese

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm so sorry sad.gif

#4 madmother

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

So very, very sorry this has happened to you.

I worry as my rescue spaniel can be quite agro at times, but we watch him very closely at all times (we only got him in December).

#5 Quack Quack

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

I am sorry your heart is broken sad.gif but I think you absolutely did the right thing in getting the dogs put down.

I wish you and your family all the best and hope that time heals your hearts.

#6 dulcinea

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

That is just a horrible tragic story OP. hugs to you and your family. I hope your kids are okay, they must be traumatised.

#7 ~Mintie~

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Oh gosh my heart broke for you as I was reading that sad.gif I'm terribly sorry you and your family have gone through this, and in particular that your children saw so much. I've also seen similar (not a bull, but German Shepherds attacking 2 staffys) and it's just awful, something I'll never forget. I hope you're ok sad.gif

#8 twinboys

OMG - that would have been nightmarish.
I hope your kids will not have long term effects  sad.gif

Not meaning to be a know it all  - but I always have believed that at the end of the day no one can guarantee any animals (Or humans) behaviour.

#9 adl

I am very sorry...sadly we had experiences on our property with non vicious dogs that were always treated very well,  its more about the pack mentality and instinct.....I hope you and your family can replace the bad memory with some happier ones

#10 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Oh my, what a horrible story.

I feel for all of you and the steer. What horrible thing for him to go through and for your children to witness.

You made absolutely the right decision about the dogs though.

#11 annodam

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Do you know the breeder of these dogs?
If you do, I would be notifying them ASAP.
They shouldn't be breeding from the parents of those dogs.
So you put down all four dogs?

Unfortunately some dogs (mine included, I own 3 Basenjis) cannot be trusted around livestock, no matter what!

Edited by annodam, 25 February 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#12 smelliecat

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Two of my girls are ok, one of them is still upset about it all and my 12 year old misses his puppy.

Unfortunately I don't know the breeders so it is not possible to contact them. I do know we did the right thing but it still pains me. I go through stages of feeling angry with them and then being sad as I didn't say goodbye!

#13 Etcetera

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

That's awful, I'm so sorry sad.gif
Witnessing a dog fight when I was young was one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had. I'm so sorry you and your children had to witness that.

#14 smelliecat

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I am so glad that noone was home to witness/hear it, my poor inside cat would not come out from behind the TV unit all night sad.gif

Thankfully, even though I do not believe in replacing animals immediately, I was able to bring some smiles back to the children's faces by purchasing 2 adorable 10 week old purebred Black Labradors that afternoon.

#15 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Oh no, the poor steer. I hope he didn't suffer to terribly. Your post has made me sick to my stomach, I couldn't imagine coming home to that horrifying scene. sad.gif

#16 TopsyTurvy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Oh gosh sad.gif

That is so utterly horrific on so many levels.

I am sorry for your whole families losses and hope the labs help ease a bit of your pain.

#17 niggles

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

What an awful experience for the poor steer. sad.gif So sorry your kids had to witness that.

#18 SophieBear

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I am so sorry sad.gif

I'm in tears reading your story.. my heart breaks for you and your family.

#19 Flaxen

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I totally agree with you that you made the right decision to put them down, however I have the opinion that any dog can do that, regardless of the breed or size, or owners. The dogs were being dogs, pack animals, and unfortunately sometimes these things do happen, and I would be as upset as you are right now. *hugs* My dogs are my fur babies and I would be distraught.

Family labradors have been shot in our district for attacking lambs. Small terriers are known for being terrible with chickens/rabbits and birds. They are just doing what thier instincts tell them, and pack mentality will mean one might start it, but then they all get involved. Prey drive is a strong pull and very few dogs can resist once the others have started. Unfortunately for them its not acceptable in our society and i do believe they have to be put down, as once they do it, they cant stop themsleves from doing it again.
I live on a farm, our 2 dogs are locked up in their run when we are not supervising them. I simply dont give them the opportunity to mess up. However, If they did something similar, they would get put down.

Take a deep breath and just talk to your kids, as im sure your doing already. I cant imagine how hard it is for them to understand.

#20 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Oh OP, I'm so sorry. I had chills reading that. That poor poor steer. I think you did the right thing by getting him euthanized as soon as you could and I also think you did the right thing by having all 4 dogs euthanized. You would never ever be able trust any of them around animals or people again, so really, it was the only responsible thing to do.

I hope you can all put it behind you and get the pictures out of your heads soon.

#21 noonehere

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Im so sorry for your loss :-(

As a staffy lover you did the right thing. After a attack like that they would not be able to be trusted.

Enjoy your beautful new puppies

#22 JaneLane

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I am so sorry to hear that OP
I love animals and I have tears in my eyes now thinking of your poor steer  ddown.gif
I also think that animals behave accordingly to how they are brought up, unless you have a lot of them together where I think the pack mentality can take over.  I could never have more than 2 and even then I tend to have one small dog With the bigger one and not 2 medium or large together.
My best friend had a staffy puppy that she had put down after it attacked a pony

#23 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Oh OP, how awful for all of you! I'm sorry you had to go through that.

It's far too easy to forget that dogs, regardless how close they are to us, are animals with animal instincts. These can definitely be heightened when they are in groups of 3 or more, as they then take on pack mentality, but as a PP showed, even one single dog can still act out of character.

It's something I fear with our two girls, and this is a valuable reminder to never take their gentle natures for granted.

I've been outside with them when they started snapping at each other (one kept trying to take the other's ball in confusion about which was which) and it was scary to see how quickly they escalated. I was right between them petting one of them at the time and grabbed them both apart (not the smartest idea, but it was in the heat of the moment) and copped scratches from one of their open mouths. I was lucky they calmed down quickly.

Big hugs to you and your family, and I wish you all the best with your new puppies.

#24 sedawson

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

It can be any breed, it can be any dog.
I read once that 'any dog, at any time, can revert to instinct and interpret the unco-ordinated movements and high-pitched noises of the human infant as the signals of prey' and it's true.
The moment you have more than one dog, you have a pack, and a pack will behave differently from a single dog.
I love dogs, I have worked with rehabilitating dogs, worked in shelters, very pro-dog but they are animals. There was a case recently with a labrador who had grown up with a family, spend four years with the child, much loved, trusted, adored, yada yada. One day it forgot it was a pet and mauled the child it had lived with for so long.
These cases tend to be the exception and lots of people will reply that surely the child was taunting it or something - it wasn't, it was just a dog being a dog.
I think you were probably very lucky with your pack in a rural environment that nothing happened before now.
It's an awful thing to go through and I really am sorry.

#25 Boombox

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Wow, what a horrific thing to happen to the steer.

I would hope you wont get quite so many dogs again- it seems to have been a pack action- something you would hope would be less likely in a single or double dog household. It would seem the responsible thing to do when you have livestock around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.