New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 Boyz_Mama

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Gold! Woohoo original.gif

Nervy - hope you're ok, hun. Have been in my thoughts & prayers regularly xx

Random crazyness- had dreams last night that woke me up so many times, kept dreaming went for extra scan and baby turned out to be a boy (was told its a girl) and that I had to have the baby in Cairns even though live in SE Qld and have never been there, and that it had to be a C-Sect due to stitches from who knows what. Lol!!

I do have extra scan this ave to monitor thing in placenta... so hopefully all good, and will get them to double-check they still think its a girl biggrin.gif biggrin.gif hehe

Edited by Boyz_Mama, 25 February 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#3 tigers17

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Silver! Yippee!

Hope everyone is well. Hoping from good news from Nervy soon.

As for me - started to feel my first kicks yesterday. Not that many but certainly more than the flutters/bubbles I had been feeling. It was nice as hubby was with me when they happened.

Hope everyone has a good week

#4 RellBell

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Bronze!  biggrin.gif

Had a rough morning this morning... decided to attempt to clean the house as my doula is coming over to meet me on the 6th of March (Yes, it is going to take that much time to make my house presentable as I am a huge slob).

I started with the spare room, because I noticed a funny smell. This is where I keep the kitty's litter tray, so no surprises there... however, even after doing the scoop and clean, the smell was still there. So I continued to clean, bagged up all my washing (contemplated setting it on fire as there are about 10 loads), and I came to a little basket in the corner of the room (where I keep all my gift bags) and discovered that it was entirely full of poop. There must have been 12 poops in there! ARGH   mad.gif

So angry with that little cat right now... and what's worse is she is smelling around the area where the basket used to be (probably being sad that her weird poop stash is gone and considering making another one).

*sigh* I'm never going to get this place clean  sad.gif

Edited by Relly23, 25 February 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#5 Mizadele

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Wooden Spoon!
(In the time it took me to write this post, I lost silver and bronze!)
Good Morning Ladies!

Nervy - Hope you're doing OK. Fingers crossed that no news means things have eased up and you're busy feeling great with the family.

I went over my download cap this weekend, so my internet is a bit slow. Thankfully the rollover is in 3 days!

Had my 1st appointment with my Ob on Thursday. He's really nice! Yay! I was a little nervous, but I'm looking forward to having him as a Dr now.
I'm booked in for my glucose test on Friday. Acually, this is the first test I've gone for during this pregnancy where I'm not concerned about a positive result.
After all the other stress, finding out I have GD is really not a problem. I already eat like a diabetic, since i have a history of PCOS and type 2 diabetes is a long standing factor in my family.
I just really want to avoid another giant baby. original.gif
4.6kg (Or 10 pound 2 ounces)

Now the end of the 2nd trimester is nearing, i feel great! Not too tired, not sick, not sore.
Just in time to start with the giant, sore, tired, hormonal, squashed bladder again or the 1st trimester. original.gif

Side note: DH is pretty happy with the responses of his unborn son. Bub got very active yesterday after I ate hotdogs for lunch, had a small icecream after dinner and especially, during the action sequences of Fast and Furious last night.
You could almost time the pressing of the accelerator and the corner turns.
It felt bizarre and hilarious at the same time.

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend and have a great week.!

#6 monkeys mum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Oh Nervy hopefully no news is good news and you are resting up.

Boyz Mama lol I have been having weird dreams too, crazy isn't it. Do you have the follow up scan soon or later in the pregnancy?

Tigers- Yay on the kicks, feels lovely doesn't it.

Relly oh that would have made me sick! I'm like you and have a time frame for getting this place sorted thanks to an inspection on the 5th. I thinnk my worst rooms will be the kids rooms lol but I want to organise as I clean and junk some of the clutter- my fault for the clutter though.

Miz oh no, at least the slow net will only last for three days. Good to hear you feel comfortable with the DR, makes things a lot easier. Sounds like you have an active lil one in there!

AFM- I've not been feeling well, hot flushes (don't remember those previously), migraine that just keeps coming back, and just feel really low. DP got in from work last night to find me lying in bed having just been woken by my head, must have worried him as he asked if he should take me to the hospital as the tablets weren't working. I finally got back off to sleep after two hours of trying to cope, just to wake this morning feeling the same so I got the kids ready and went back to bed. I've woken and now my head is only a dull pain but I can't get into my gp and  don't want to go anywhere else as it's my mums birthday today so we are off there for dinner.

#7 jmaz86

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hey all,

I hope your doing ok nervy...

Sorry no personals as i am on my phone. Just having a read and a stalk.

Afm i am at the moment in maternity had heart palpitations over the last few days so they said to come in and check it out due to my previous history of heart flutters. Everything seems ok...bub is doing wonderful just waiting for a review by the Dr.

#8 bettinae

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hello loverley ladies xx
Nervey sending lots hugs and prayers xxxx bbighug.gif  bbighug.gif

I am just going to unload SORRY ddown.gif

I have just about had a full melt down I think...this work sh*&^% is just not cutting it I had 8 straight afternoon shifts and keeping in mind that that intails 1.5 hours travel each way ....my little one has just started kindy and isnt coping well at all.... bad tantrums in the morning so to help my self I have jumped on to affo and night doulbles so it just travel there once and staythere 16 hrs and then home and not back till 2pm the next day..... nno.gif But its killing me I just can't do this .... I am not getting any sleep and I have had mu mother(if thats what you call her) here in the morning so I can home and go to bed ( nno.gif  ddown.gif ) right she is as usefull as an ashtray on a motor bike....!!!

DH had to come home from work this morning to get them off to school because she was here and I was just sooo tired I was crying and she was just standing there and my little ones were crying....

I think that broke me today......

One of the demons that I have and am trying to deal with is that....I hope that its ok to talk about that I won't offened anyone or upset them...???

when I was pregnant with baby Michael I had a little well at the time what I thought was a lot of ristance that I was pregnant I felt like I had to prove myself and pushed myself beyond what I was capable of and still 10 years later blame myself that it was my fult from pushing myself that that was why he was taken from me....and I am scared that I know that I am pushing myself and that the same thing is going to happen I know that I am pushing......

I am trying to get my head around the fact that I should ask the Womens union for help but I am scared to ask because it shows or makes me think that I am weak ...I know sounds silly but thats how I feel...

I just want to run away at the moment I am soo tired and just keep it togeather...I feel like it is just to much to juggle and I am going to colloapes and drop all the balls that I am juggling.......any advice my loverleys would be great... x

I cant go in leave as it will use all the leave and I want to save some for when the bub is born every1 in this house is suffering DH and the other children and me....... ddown.gif

I am sorry to rant I just dont know what to do...????

x bbighug.gif  bbighug.gif

#9 jmaz86

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

bettinae: First of all...big hugs coming your way...I am sorry that you are having to go through everything at once, I can imagine it must be very trying for you.
First though, I want to say as much as you may feel that you will be deemed as weak by contacting the womans union, your not. It takes one person to stand up and use their voice to ensure that wrong doings do not occur again. From my personal experience I recently stood up to a nightmare of a boss by putting in an official complaint about her management of certain situations, it will not result in anything to benefit me, but it made the head honchos aware of her, and maybe just maybe there will be a re-shuffle and my work friends will get a better working life.
I understand that leave is not an option, but you do need to take some time for yourself and look after you...for your own sanity...even if its a nice bath or an hour to yourself to read a book or dream about your baby.
I hope that you have some relief soon.

#10 kate_123

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Nervy, hope everything is ok xxx

Jmaz, hope your ok and feeling better! I feel quite lucky atm, everything is going smoothly for me finally. Hearing how much everyone else is feeling it makes me appreciate how lucky ive got it now that 1st trimester has passed (touch wood!)

Bettinae, somethings got to change. Clearly its not sustainable. I feel exhausted just reading what you have been trying to do. I can understand how u feel about your previous experience and loss of little Michael. Whilst I don't think you should in anyway blame yourself for losing him, I think the fear is understandable and it makes it even more important to look after yourself.

I know that ur little one is struggling with kindy but it doesn't sound like doing the double shifts is really changing that and the more tired you get the worse she is likely to act up. Perhaps going back to single shifts is what needs to happen and hope that they will adjust. Does the kindy teacher have any suggestions on how to help this?

I know you don't want to take leave but perhaps sick/stress leave/leave without pay? Maybe reassessing your financial situation and look at exactly what you 'must' do to get by. I'm not sure what your DP does but is there anyway his work could be flexible to work with you on the school prep etc. Also have you spoken to your manager about your situation and see if they are willing to work with you to work out a roster that will suit you best or ask work collegues to shift swap?

I don't know if you've already exhausted these options but theyre my suggestions. I hope you work something out soon because it sounds really really hard right now. Thinking of you xxx bbighug.gif

#11 RellBell

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Oh Bettinae, please talk to the women's union. There is nothing weak about standing up for your rights.

Is a couple of days sick leave an option?  My doctor told me that if I was stressed or unwell, to come straight to him and he'll write me a doctors certificate for a few days or a week off.

Still have my fingers crossed for Nervy. Sending lots of positive vibes!

Are any of you ladies having a maternity shoot? I was thinking about it... Or is that a silly idea?

#12 Boyz_Mama

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just came on phone to read updates....

Bettinae- oi that sounds tough sad.gif certainly doesn't sound like you can continue like that.

Jmaz- hope ur ok and not in hospital for long

Monkeys mum- my extra scan was today. Showed placenta still working / baby growing and blood flowing where it should be. Have to go back for another scan in 4 weeks (at 28weeks) and then if its still going ok then can move out next scan to 6 weeks (at 34 weeks). I'd a lot of effort to get babysitter, get to hospital near cbd etc but kind nice seeing bub few extra times. The lady also had very quick look at gender, said legs close together so not good view but would say girl... So my crazy dream hopefully just crazy dream biggrin.gif

#13 Nervy

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hello my lovely ladies!

I have been out for a few days, just trying to rest and deal with my situation, thank you for all your kind thoughts!

Firstly, Bettinae – Your work sounds terrible and can I say I think you should definitely speak up! It’s not acceptable and you have rights, even moreso when you are pregnant. I can completely understand about the sick leave/ financials – and that’s why I’m back at work today (because I ran out of sick leave!) but at the end of the day, if you feel like you can’t cope/ function at work, you need to talk to them and work out an arrangement. Maybe just use one or two days annual leave? Thinking of you lovely. And Kate said everything perfectly I second what Kate said!

Jmaz, what is the update? Were you admitted? I am thinking of you and know how terrible it is to have to go into hosp, even if just for a visit.

Relly, I think maternity shots are beautiful, I had one with my DS, but not sure about this one, firstly, I’m not enjoying the pregnancy and secondly, I feel fat & ugly!

Boyz-Mama, can you refresh me with what is going on with your placenta? Extras scans are super reassuring.

Tigers – Hooray for first kicks! & Miz, was your first bub 4.6kg? You are amazing!

Thank you everyone for your positive vibes!

Update for me is, I did not want to go to hospital, and that was that. As I was packing I was having a massive panic attack, and vomiting. I just couldn’t go. My parents are away so I don’t have their support here & my husband parents are tied up this week, so don’t really have their support either, hence my final decision not to go. My husband works for himself, no work, no pay, and it was all too much, It was too much strain mentally, emotionally and physically. I hope no-one judges my decision because I know hospital was advised, but I am doing what I feel is best for myself, family and baby. My sister is cranky at me for not going, but I have to trust my intuition and I know it seems selfish/ neglectful but really deep down I know I am doing the right thing.

Sooo, im on 2 lots of antiobiotics, one because OB thinks there could be a tear in the sac, the other for thrush, 6 tablets a day. I have 2 x blood tests a week, 2 x internal exams a week, 1 ultrasound (out of his rooms) per fortnight and 2 x OB appointments a week until further notice. The bleeding has improved since I have been on antiobiotics (4 days) I don’t know if this is a coincidence? There is still no certain answer for the bleeding. I forgot to add (am editting atm) that my ultrasound i had on Friday came back perfect, bubby growing right on track, date moves forward with each scan, and amniotic fluid, everything normal. Blood tests have all come back normal.

I feel really dettached from the pregnancy, I haven’t talked to bubby or even been in the nursery, the last few days have been awful. Bubby is still making sure I know he is there though, by moving so much all day and night!

Anyway, I will feel much better about the pregnancy when I reach 32 weeks, only 5 to go!

Edited by Nervy, 26 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#14 jmaz86

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Nervy - in reply to your question, I was not admitted...they seem to think that it is not my minor valve issue that is causing the palpitations. I am still getting them and its probably more annoying than anything. I had a Junior OB come and see me while I was there and he assured me that having them was not doing the bub any harm. I am going to my GP next week as part of my shared care so will hit him up as per the JMO's advice if he wants to investigate it further, not that there is much they can do.

In relation to your decision not to go into hospital...I think you did what was right for you, and sometimes mothers instinct is very powerful. I also totally get the pressure when you say about your DP working for himself. I am in the same boat with mine.
I am glad your getting some relief from the a/b's, it may have been just what you needed. I will keep my fingers crossed that things continue to improve. It sounds like you are getting wonderful and attentive care which is always a bonus.

#15 kate_123

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi Nervy,
So glad to hear your news that bub is happy and growing along like a trooper. I'm not going to criticise you for your decision, you and only you can decide whats best for you and bubs. It sounds like your medical team are monitoring you very closely and are on top of things, which is great and at the end of the day thats what is important (a hospital bed is just that, a bed, and you are always only an ambulance call away should things deteriorate). I hope that your work is not too strenuous and you are getting plenty of time to put your feet up at least. I can understand it must be hard to feel attached to bub at the moment with all the fear you must be feeling right now. I can only imagine that would be a completely normal reaction to your situation. We're all thinking of you and 100% behind you here and hoping the next bit goes fast and bub keeps telling you everything is ok with its little kicks and smiles on that ultrasound machine original.gif

#16 RellBell

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Yay Nervy!

So happy that bub is all happy and healthy in there (I was so worried when they said measuring 10 days behind).

I can understand where your sister is coming from, she's obviously worried... but at the end of the day, women's bodies have been carrying babies since the beginning of time - so mother's intuition has to count for something. Besides, if it is going to give you stress attacks it is probably not going to be doing any good for your body or bub if you are laying in a hospital bed all day worrying. You're better off where you feel you need to be.

I read that by 28 weeks, 9 out of 10 babies born survive (sorry, it wasn't a scientific thing so I don't have an actual reference), but I know those odds would make me feel a lot better! I also read that between 23 and 26 weeks, every extra day in the womb increases a baby's chance of survival by 2 - 4%. Every day longer you keep the little one in is a positive! Stay strong original.gif

#17 Mizadele

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Nervy, so glad to hear you're doing OK. hhugs.gif
What you are doing is obviously working and bubs is hanging in there.
I understand your detachment, I felt the same way until I got the results from my amnio. It's hard to be excited when you are worried about negative results.

I hope everyone at work is looking out for you too and keeping you supplied with tea and biscuits!

AFM, 2 more days till my internet gets back to normal and I can do a proper catch up with everyone's updates. Yay.

#18 Gel_Bel

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi Ladies,

Nervy- I am so glad to hear you are ok! I'll continue to stalk to check on your progress!

Is anyone in the Pilbara in WA? If so, please stay safe! Also in the flood area in Qld!

I think I'm getting yet another cold thanks to my husband! So, back to drinking copious amounts of home made lemonade and staying in doors. mellow.gif

Hope everyone is well!
xx

#19 Frenchgirl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi ladies! I said hello a few months back but have not been keeping up due to work, children ect. I finally gave up work in late Jan as I was not coping with the long hours. It came to a point where I was so stressed about giving up my career that I was not enjoying my work anymore. DH and I decided that I would take a full year off after the baby is born plus the 5 months that I am having off before baby. Then we will evaluate the situation again.
Pregnancy is going well. I feel bad though as sometimes I forget that I am pregnant again. The last three have all merged into one big long pregnancy as I had my boys so close together.
Gel_Bel - I hope you feel better soon. I find drinking loads of tea helps me. The warmth and hydration does wonders.
Will have a proper catch up of the last thread and will be back soon :-)

#20 kahm

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yay Nervy!  Really glad that the little one is staying put original.gif

Bettinae - Sod the union, try the cops!

Frenchgirl - Enjoy your leave!

#21 Gel_Bel

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi Ladies,

Another story for my in-laws saga...my father in law handed me a $100 note and told me that it was from his wife and that she would not be able to make the baby shower (her first grandchild) as she had just booked (I told her the date of the baby shower in January) a holiday on that date.
My husband is crushed and I think he has now begun to see what I have seen all along. He told me he needed to have a serious talk with his mother and then he apologised to me. I feel so bad for him! sad.gif

Anyway, that's my rant! Hope everyone is well!

x

#22 RellBell

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Oh dear, I just love pregnancy hormones  unsure.gif  

I just read your post Gel_Bel and realised that I had done up the list for people to invite to the baby shower just the other day and I hadn't even thought of putting DP's mother on the list (it's her first grandchild too). Which led to thinking "well, I guess I didn't think of her because I don't feel like she wants a grandchild" - which made me all teary and upset  sad.gif

Little things, like overhearing something she said on the phone to a friend about not wanting to end up babysitting, and she made a comment to me about "well, I thought this year was going to be a year of trouble for me with the news I got on new years" (told her about the pregnancy then) and when I said "what do you mean... trouble?  huh.gif" she changed topic and started talking about something else.

Makes me teary when I think about how my little one hasn't even left the womb yet and her grandmother already feels like she's a burden.

#23 kate_123

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

That really sucks Relly and and gel bel. Im sorry theyre so unsupportive and unexcited. I hope they come around when your babies arrive but i can imagine how much that must really hurt. As for my mother in law, I had a thought of dread and fear the other day and it is still making me shudder cause i don't know what to do about it. She lives a few hours away, is a widow and empty nester and lonely so she comes and stays every second weekend and at worst EVERY weekend. She is nice in small doses but can be pretty full on with opinions and 'difficult' whilst meaning well. Anyways I realised, she is going to want to be here when the baby is born which means she will have to stay at our house, which means no time for myself and my husband to ourselves to settle in to our new roles as parents. I can see her being at the hospital ALL day and then when we come home also just hanging around. She always just says 'dont mind me, im happy to just sit here, i won't be in the way' but doesnt get that her just being there means you cant relax properly. OMG it is anxiety invoking now and i know with all the hormones there is no way im going to keep it together in those first few days after the birth. EEEK no idea what i should do.

#24 kahm

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Gel_bel - while it sucks dog's danglies that your PIL are so awful, it's awesome that your partner finally got it!  Now you've got an ally!

Relly  - Seriously?  blink.gif  *crickets*.  Have you ever actually given her the impression that you'd want her to do any more than send a card at Christmas?  I mean, it's a little presumptuous on her part that she'd be asked to babysit at all, I think.

Kate - I'd set some ground rules with your partner now, because guarding the gate is something he's going to have to do - you're more likely to be stuck on the couch for hours feeding a small person.  The ones under discussion at our place are:
* No one but us in the house while I'm in labour,
* No one in the room at the hospital except for the two of us and medical staff.  
* No hospital visitors, (we should only be there for a day unless something goes wrong because it's a birthing centre)

Those are completely set in stone and I'm not budging on them.  We're also discussing limiting house guests and handling visitors when we come home.

Unfortunately, we're in a similar position re his mum though.  She's going to be in the country around that time and she really wants to come visit after this little one arrives.  If she doesn't, she probably won't get to meet this one until bub's closer to two, because we won't be able to travel to see her and she doesn't have stacks of cash and probably won't be able to come back to see us.
It's going to be a finely timed operation and bub is likely to be still covered in vernix when she arrives (kidding, but just a few days after the birth wouldn't be far off).  MIL is lovely, she stays out of the way when you need her to, she does dishes and the laundry without being asked, she tidies and delivers food to the couch and she cuddles kids beautifully.  Thing is, she's not MY mum and I'm just worried that if I'm a sore and sorry emotional mess that I'll end up offending her or trying to put a good face on it all and just getting distressed.
Course, DP will be in a similar position really, just without the internal wounds or the nutso hormones and if he wants his mum, then that should be ok by me.  I completely expect that having my mum around will be ok by him (or that he'll put up with it).  Difference is that my mum lives close by and can go home after an hour!
Oh well, whatever happens happens and I can't solve a problem until there's a problem to solve, can I?

#25 Jeanie1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

morning ladies - happy first of March!! Its scary and exciting to think in 16 weeks i will holding my gorgous baby boy.
Good by summer hello rains and floods! glare.gif its weather like this that makes me want to stay in bed all day.. but i must get up for work.

kahm - agree with having rules! Im glad me and DH discussed this last time with DD. As they worked so well and im sticking to them again this time. It was lovely taht people wanted to come and visit the new born but we needed space! And I think we will need more space this time as we will have to get DD used to teh fact we brought a bubba home.

So no guests at the hospital! I will be home the next day.

No guests to bombard us at home in the first week unless they call first so I can work out a good time and feel comfortable.
No inlaws in the delivery room even my own mum, I will tell you when to call her as nice as they are they get in the way and last time i was in labour for 18 hours and 6 hours of my mum saying are you ok? keep going! its going to hurt but its worth it!" I do not need this again!!!

I had my check up yesterday, bubs is up so high its like hes sleeping in my rip cage lol measuring on time with a heart rate of 130bpm. since last month i have only put 800grams on and the dr said i have to watch this? Sooo eat more chicken nuggest? i can do that! tongue.gif

Baby showers - such a stress! Invite family or invite only friends? or friends with family im close with?... this was my dilema as i dont get along with my MIL. but i did the right thing and invited both mums and my close friends and had a fun time.

Nervy - hope you and bubs are going well and growing up a sttorm in there!
Really23 - I cant believe you MIL! Who says things like that! She should be lucky shes even involved in the pregnanc! I would just ignore here and you watch how clucky she gets when bubs is here and she wants to hold bub 24/7! closedeyes.gif

Better go do some work, have a great day xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.