New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 Alxeen

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

GOLD!!

Chugging along here original.gif

I got a fit ball (birthing ball, exercise ball, swiss ball) last week and have been sitting/bouncing on it for a few days now. Apparently when baby's head engages sitting on the ball pushes the head against the cervix and helps it efface. It also relaxes pelvic muscles and 'opens up' the pelvis. Can you tell I'm getting ready for birth?? Only 35+4 but as of 36 weeks I am going to start my natural induction regime: expressing colostrum (eeek, if I can, mine doesn't exactly flow), inserting evening primrose capsules and from week 37 will be doing clary sage baths and massages. I started taking raspberry leaf tablets last week or week before I think as well. Let's see if I can get these babies to think about arriving! I feel quite a lot of pressure in my pelvis and ob said I am partially engaged last appointment. I think my body is getting ready but I think I'm still another two weeks off. That's ok with me, I think that would be perfect timing!

Today I have a sick DD at home. There are builders next door doing major earthworks and finishing off two townhouses that face onto our lane today. It's bugging me! It's really noisy and I was planning a quiet day at home, and ideally would love DD to have a nap. Also our lounge room window faces directly onto the building site, so for the sake of privacy I'm keeping the curtains closed. I have flashed those builders once or twice already  blush.gif

Minus a few extras to arrive later I'd say nursery is basically done, so I was thinking I might take some pics today and post on the nursery thread.

Yay for Zackcat and your baby girl! I think it's time for more baby news, come on ladies I'm getting impatient  biggrin.gif

Edited by Alxeen, 25 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#3 Nataliah

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

SILVER!!

#4 Nataliah

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Serapod @ 25/02/2013, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nataliah when are you due? Do you feel your braxton hicks contractions? I am having them sporadically, and mostly I don't notice them because they are painless. Probably began 2 weeks ago. Amazing how different every woman's body handles pregnancy, labour and birth!

Oh yep, I totally feel them.  I have been getting them intensely for at least 2 months now.  They probably go for 12 hours out of the day and I get several an hour.  I wouldn't describe them as painful, but they are really intense and uncomfortable.  Basically my uterus expands and hardens like a rock.  It almost feels like someone is blowing it up with a bicycle pump and it might actually explode at any minute, lol.

It is interesting how different our bodies are, I haven't spoken to anyone who has BH like me.  Hopefully it means that the real thing won't be such a shock for me.  Either that or my real ones will be insane because my practice ones are so full-on!

Oh and I am due on the 6th original.gif

#5 Serapod

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Nataliah  I am thinking that genetics must play a part in how a pregnancy progresses. My sister (the one with the 1yo nephew) had painless contractions like how I am experiencing too. I am sorely hoping that I also go into labour today, as she went into labour on her due date! Also I am a bit concerned how I will tolerate the real deal as I've never had bad pains, and I don't have pains now.....

Over the last 3 weeks I have been eagerly anticipating the birth, but now that I am most definitely full term, I kinda feel over it! Tired of waiting and hoping for it to arrive, so I think I have 'given up' strangely. I don't think I will put any more brain power into expecting labour, and just forget about the baby until I have some concrete signs.

The only downside to being 40weeks, I feel worried to go driving to shopping centres on my own. Unfortunately, my sister has just finished maternity leave, and works mon, tues, weds. And my mum has some tests today. sad.gif

I suppose I could take the bus, BUT what if my water breaks at the shops and I am stuck >_< Ahhh!

#6 The Feral Plum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi, so exciting to see babies arriving now. I finally have a date for the c-section, March 6th! 10 days to go... I'm a bit nervous about the operation, but more concerned about the recovery and coping with a newborn and DS. I keep telling myself other people survive having more than 1!

I feel enormous and baby hasn't engaged yet, so my bump is still high and heartburn-inducing. Yesterday DH took a rare day off work and I immediately announced my plans - to catch a bus into the city and sit around in cafes, child-free, reading magazines. I did and it was fantastic. DH took DS swimming - 3 hours at the pool and DS was so tired he slept through the night, which meant I got 5 hours uninterrupted sleep before being woken up by my bladder.

I am taking it easy and trying to avoid all activities that are supposed to help induce labour, as if I go into labour we'll have to dash to the hospital and the csection will all be much more rushed and stressful. When I had DS (5 days late) I finally went into labour after walking/waddling 2km to the markets. Most irritating walk, my mother was with me and wouldn't walk at my pace and instead kept waiting for me every 50m or so.

I have to go pretend fishing with DS now, so sorry again for lack of personals - hope everyone is getting some rest!

#7 stickymicky

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hi All!

Been a while since posts, but have been reading along with excitement!
Thrilled to see babies starting to arrive!

Can't believe some lucky ladies are already holding their bundles of joy and I'm still trying to organise baby capsules... Arggh!

Great job Minxybug on updating the list of arrivals!

Serapod- fingers crossed you are next! I know that feeling every day past 40wks feels like a year sad.gif
Hopefully all happens well before wednesday for your Sisters and nephews sake! haha

Nesting- I finally finished work last week so been nesting like a crazy woman trying to make up for lost time!
I have just 3 more days at home before DD and I will to fly to Perth to wait for the arrival of Baby2 (no hospital in this town) and obviously want everything as organised as poss for when we return in April with new baby! Have crossed lots of jobs off my list but still got a busy few days ahead.. More nesting than resting going on here I'm afraid!

Only thing is for those with kids sharing with baby, I am thinking change table needs to move out because if I change baby in the night won't it wake the toddler? Baby in bassinet in our room to start.... What's everyone else doing???

Adl- this made me smile! We'll have DD sharing a room with Baby2 and the first of the jobs completed was setting up the change table and moving it back into her room.. I hadn't even though about the logisitics of night time changes! Another issue I hadn't considered is now that I have set it up with all the wipes and creams and nappies at the lower level which DD (2yo) can reach and keeps getting into.. so yeah.. maybe we will move it back into our room as Baby2 will also be in bassinet in our room to start with..  Either that or get a spare change mat to keep in our room for night time changes and a shoebox with nappies and wipes etc to go next to it..? Don't really want to move the change table out after all the effort and re-arranging I went through to put it back in!! what did you end up doing?

Preparing Siblings- I'm not sure how DD will react and have moments where I feel a bit woried too.. she is quite possessive of me around other children.. but hopefully she will have some 'ownership' of the new baby so it will be different with her own sibling.. I am marketing it to her as HER brother or sister and telling her how WE are all getting a new baby to look after so we will have to help each other take care of it (she loves being a 'helper')
I've also ordered her a BIG SISTER t-shirt to wear which I know she'll love (very fashion conscious for a 2yo!)
I borrowed a book from the library called "There is a House inside my Mummy"  which was really lovely.
Studybug- it sounds like a really good approach with your DS in the lead up to the birth
To be honest it seems like most of our conversations about Baby2 are going over her head, but I figure kids are adaptable, she'll have to adjust and all we can do is make her feel as loved and as special as ever and she'll cope fine. Hope so anyway!

Braxton Hicks- never noticed these with first preg but been getting some really painful ones this time round. They make me pause, but are irregular and sort of on the outside of my tummy, unlike real contractions which to me felt more deeper inside.. Glad to know my uterus is doing some practice though!

Natural Induction techniques- Am very interested to hear all of these.. especially about the clary sage and EPO as wasnt aware of these.. Zakcat- love the idea of telling your baby girl she had 6hrs to get here! And extra happy that she was listening! DD was 10 days overdue and it was torture.. I would love for this babe to come a bit early or at least on time.. But I have been reluctant to start any raspberry leaf tea or anything until we are in Perth, as wouldn't be a good idea to go into labour here where there is no hospital for hours.. so have been holding off just incase.. Am 37 weeks on Wed. Alxeen- you've done so well to make it as far as you have with twins and I don't blame you for wanting to get the show on the road! Can only imagine how uncomfy you must be with both in there! Bring on 36wks.. Hope your DD feeling better soon

Csects- Yay for those who have there dates booked in. That must be the best thing about having a ceasarean knowing for certain when it's all going to happen. It can be a logisitcal nightmare trying to plan around a natural labour and all the unknowns. Pium- I really hope you manage to avoid labour before your surgery date. And how lovely you got to spend a day relaxing while your DH wore out DS.. swimming is so good for that isn't it?

Sleeping- Finding it really hard to get good nights rest as well. Heartburn, sore hips, impossible to get comfortable, toddler waking at night. So happy to have finally finished work so I can have a daytime nap with DD.

Breech- I have a bad feeling this baby may have turned into funny position as well.. It was head down since 32 weeks but just last week I started getting kicks and jabs much lower down and now I can't feel that little bottom  under my ribs anymore... hmmm.. didn't get to have 36 week checkup (as the only Dr in town who can do it on holidays) but will have checkup next week in Perth at birth centre to find out for sure. Redmum- have you got a sense your babe may have moved at all..? I'm guessing you are already familiar with the spinning babies website?

Husbands/Partners- glad to hear stories of all the DPs baking lactation cookies, installing car seats and agreeing to essential purchases etc! It think it can be hard for some of the men as it often doesn't feel real until the baby actually arrives. My DH has been working really hard (self employed) in the lead up to my due date so he can take off as much time as possible after the birth. DD and I leave town this week and he'll have another 12 days of work before following us down to Perth, I know he'll really miss DD especially! (the hormonal pregnant fishwife not so much original.gif haha
I have been driving him crazy obsessing over the logisitics of purchasing car seat and getting it installed correctly, driving our car down, getting it back again, names (yes still undecided on girls name), getting house organised, pumping up tyres on pram we've been given etc whereas he has a much more laid back approach.. and says we'll sort it out when we get back.. sometimes I think he has forgetten how tiring and hectic a newborn is.. I certainly haven't!

Anyway better sign off and go check the weather.. there is a cyclone brewing off the coast and hoping it doesn't affect my flight out of here!

Am stalking for more birth announcements

xoxoxo

#8 redmum77

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hey all!

Stickymicky - yes very familiar with the spinning babies web site, and I was doing forward leaning inversions until the other day when it hurt too much.. I figure that can't be good. I do think bub went head down though - but now I don't know where baby is! I honestly can't figure it out, the movements don't match any patterns of where hands/feet bottom/head should be. Oh well I'll find out tomorrow. Great that you had a day to yourself, I hope the trip down goes ok!

Serapod - lol! I love the give up method. I always used it and as I was both times 10 days late it's a good thing too. Funny, I remember being so worrie dabout going into labour in the lead up to being due - where I would be etc. But then once youre a bit overdue you kinda stop caring lol!

I've got all my glass bottles, nearly all the teats that I like, the pump is working a treat, and I feel a bit more prepared! Capsule is installed - bit funny for DH as it was a past student who did it lol! The nursery still smells bad though, the chair is old.. I love that chair sad.gif the cost of a new one.. Hmm. And I've realised I have no where to put the clothes, lol. Well, kinda have but it's not ideal at all. Oh well! Actually, I haven't even counted the cot sheets. Definitely have one, probably more in the cupboard. Probably need more surety than that. Where is my brain?

So yep, for me it's waiting till tomorrow and having no clue where this baby will be. I had a mammoth session this morning at the psych. But I feel lots better I think, just a bit drained. I hardly ever cry, even there, but what a hormonal mess I am at the moment! He did say it was ok for me to not want to see DHs parents for a few weeks (they have to be driven up here etc) and even 6 weeks is reasonable. Wow, I thought he'd be saying I should have them to stay, so now I don't feel so crazy for wanting to take the time to settle in and get feeding sorted and protect myself a bit considering the PND risk.

#9 Aminila

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thomas Joseph arrived at 12:40pm on friday morning after an induction for gestational hypertension. He weighed 3.030kg, was 48cm long and a head circ of 33cm.

Birth went well, was at the hospital at 6.30am, in the room by 7.30 and had waters broken at 8am. I was already 3-4cm dilated (3rd child) Doctors gave me 2 hours before they started the drip, but not much progressed and it actually slowed down when i got up and mobile, so at 10:15 they started the drip and contractions started. At about 11am i asked for an epidural so they called the doctor for that, he got there at about 12:15 and put the epi in, then left the room and i felt the urge to push lol. 3 or 4 pushes later he was out and put on my tummy where he promptly wee'd on me. Then we got skin on skin time for an hour or two before getting up to have a shower and getting his details then being moved to the ward.

Got to go home yesterday so at home now with my 3 babies, my DP and the dog.

Dog reaction is quite interesting, everytime he hears Tommy cry he races to him to sniff and lick at him, as if to try to make Tommy feel better.

Congrats to all of the other new mummy's!

I hope you have enjoyable birthing experiences for all the still to be mummy's

#10 redmum77

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Welcome Thomas Joseph! Congrats aminila and thank you for taking the time to write your birth story original.gif

Just curious - does that mean third time mums are dilated before the due date? Doesnt the plug fall out? Yikes, feel a bit uninformed!

Also about the BH, does anyone else get period pain with their BH? Hmm must have a sore uterus because these hurt. Not labour, but they hurt.

#11 Aminila

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

redmum - i believe from what i've read that mums on more than one birth are partially dilated for most of the pregnancy, (usually only 1 or 2cms)

I've never noticed what is described as the plug in all three of my births, i did have stringy mucous, but it was clear/white and no blood, i'm not sure if i didn't loose it until labour, or if it was just me not noticing it properly

This was my 3rd pregnancy and the first time i've noticed having BH's but they weren't painful although others have said their BH's were painful. I only got them after my S&S on tuesday when the doctor told me i was 2cms dilated

#12 redmum77

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Aminila! Wow, weird to think I'm already a bit dilated. Hope bub doesn't fall out... wink.gif

#13 stickymicky

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Aminila!!! Congratulations on the safe arrival of Thomas Joseph!
Glad the birth went well and hope you're enjoying lots of newborn snuggles xx

#14 Studybug

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Oh wow Aminila, congratulations on the birth of Thomas!  Happy to hear you are both well.

And I hope I'm paritally dilated at 2cms, cos my god with DS it took 21 hours (17 of those with regular painful contractions) to get even that far!!!  So, partial dilation sounds like heaven to me biggrin.gif .

And yup, I get the period pain feeling with my BHs, Red.  Had it the whole preg with DS, this time around it started very much later (sorry can't remember exactly when) and it's not as regular as it was with DS.  I've had it quite a bit the last few weeks, to the point of it starting to wake me at night and feeling nauseous at times but I'm crossing my fingers it is because stuff is happening.

#15 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Congratulations Aminila!! bbluestork.gif That's wonderful news! Glad you are home enjoying time with your family!

#16 5ratbags

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I am still intact but I don't know for how long?! I see the ob tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if this little mischief maker has flipped back up or still down as my ribs have been sore again the last few days wacko.gif

Anyone else having to express colostrum pre delivery? I had three goes at hand expressing and got practically nothing, so tonight I gave it one last shot with the pump and hey presto 2 and a bit syringes later I have something to take with me to hospital biggrin.gif

zackcat huge congrats on the smooth birth of Mia pearl, what a beautiful name wub.gif

Aminila congrats on the safe arrival of thomas, lol at being peed on roll2.gif

Redmum yes once you have had more than one baby you never fully close up again, I think I sit around the 1 - 2 cm mark wink.gif
B/h they hurt like hell the more kids I have had the worse they have been sad.gif
Also don't take flannelette pjs to hospital at this time of year you will fry!! ohmy.gif I have bought some cotton button down nighties for the hospital and the other option is t shirt with pj bottoms if you don't like nighties wink.gif

My bags are pretty much packed and I agree about the tissues, I have a packet in my suitcase, also don't forget to have a pen, extra battery for camera and some Chapstick or paw paw ointment for lips. wink.gif  
Also take your raspberry leaf tea or tablets ladies ,you need to keep taking in the days after delivery to help uterus shrink and it also helps bring milk in wink.gif

We steam cleaned our carpets on the weekend and overhauled our room so everything is pretty much ready to go except I still have to get dh to go buy my breastfeeding pillow! Arggh I can't believe I forgot to get it again ddoh.gif
I took dd#1 and 2 out to the craft market on Saturday morning,yes I was crazy enough to go on my own, I think I had a second wind lol and figured well if I go into labour the hospital is just up the highway! I got a lovely crochet cotton hat for the baby, its lilac and so soft and also a hand knitted cardigan for winter time. I have been hunting for something I liked for so long, the craft market I crawled out of bed for last week there was nothing there nno.gif
I picked up the kids cold a few weeks ago and it hit my chest on Thursday, thank goodness my immune system was strong enough to clear it by the end of the weekend. I was getting worried that I would have to go on abs and  still have it going into labour!! ffear.gif

My stress levels went through the roof last week due to dd#2 having problems with an ex friend who happens to be in her class. Hopefully things will stay calm and don't escalate to the point of having to alter classrooms. It's been hard enough for her to adjust to high school routine as it is nno.gif
Now dhs position at work has been cut and he is getting transferred to another area, the bombshell was dropped this afternoon. We kind of knew something was going to happen at some point due to restructuring going on and the fact the company is switching to more automation but it just would have been nice if it had happened after the baby was born!

Oops it's getting really late and I had better post this before I lose it.

Good luck everyone, hopefully we hear of more happy safe arrivals soon grin.gif

Take care
Suzanne

#17 Minxybug

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Have updated the list again to add in the newest arrival so 4 babies in the group so far and March is still 4 days away

Hope everyone is travelling well, trying to catch up on some housework but will try to get in a bit later original.gif

#18 redmum77

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Studybug - yep that's what it's like! I woke up the other night and thought - ow! Far out, that's when I'd normally run off to the loo to sort out my period coming lol. First day of lectures for DH today - he hasn't taught in three years (research only) so its funny to see him a bit nervous! Glad you aren't battling parking this morning?

5ratbags - thanks for the tips on pjs, I won't need any if it's a vb but as a CS possibility gets closer I'm thinking I may be needing to pack more! Has your bub been breech so far at all? Were your others?

Minxy - you're doing a fab job coping honey, I'm sure it's not as easy as that but sometimes braving on through is all we've got. And thanks for doing the list too original.gif

We are missing so many people from earlier on, I hope they are all ok or just on fb lol!

Well I had a bit of a sleepless night, the baby is in goodness knows what position, but different, again. Nothing matches the belly mapping on the spinning babies web site, and I'm trying not think about it (not working!). DH is coming to the appt thank goodness, I think he's finally twigged that this is important and will has the possibility to change all our plans. He's a complete optimist, which is goo sometimes but sometimes you need to acknowledge things need planning! Lovely guy has rubbed my back with oils every night since the weekend, so I'm feeling spoilt and getting to sleep more easily. So I'm not really complaining.

Apparently my sister in law is moving in on friday - yep, moving in downstairs. I agreed, but that was before I was a hormonal mess who strips off for massages every night and wants to watch endless Stargate SG1 DVDs! I know it will be great in some ways (love her dearly) but I'm worried about the lack of privacy. Hmm.

I've got the chiro this morning, better get up.

#19 Alxeen

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (Nataliah @ 25/02/2013, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yep, I totally feel them.  I have been getting them intensely for at least 2 months now.  They probably go for 12 hours out of the day and I get several an hour.  I wouldn't describe them as painful, but they are really intense and uncomfortable.  Basically my uterus expands and hardens like a rock.  It almost feels like someone is blowing it up with a bicycle pump and it might actually explode at any minute, lol.

This is very similar to what I am getting. It's like my beach ball turns into a medicine ball - really heavy and HARD! My uterus pulls down and out, just like during a labour contraction. Quite intense and really takes my breath away. I am hoping that this is all good body preparation work, toning the uterus and getting it accustomed to the work it has to do soon.

QUOTE (Serapod @ 25/02/2013, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only downside to being 40weeks, I feel worried to go driving to shopping centres on my own

I went past 40 weeks and by then I had stopped driving and only went out with someone else. Just felt much safer. Although this time I keep telling myself it's time to stop driving and start only going places with someone else but there are things to do! At least this time I have ambulance cover laughing2.gif

QUOTE (redmum77 @ 25/02/2013, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also about the BH, does anyone else get period pain with their BH? Hmm must have a sore uterus because these hurt. Not labour, but they hurt.

Yes I get this, not all the time but about once a day. I put it down to pelvic discomfort being bought on by a heavy contracting uterus. I figure if it's pre-labour best to forget about it, and if not then best to forget about it also!

How long will SIL be staying? Is this a permanent move? I can totally understand wanting your own space at this time!

5ratbags I'm planning on expressing soonish. I try hand expressing but just get a tiny droplet each time. That's just been me giving it a quick go after a shower, but something tells me that's as much as I'll get. Good to hear a pump worked for you. I've got a double electric already so will try that out. I'd love to have some excess colostrum on hand. Thanks for the tip on raspberry leaf in hospital!

AFM Ob appointment today and growth scan on Friday. I have started spotting just very slightly and thinking this is a sign of things starting to happen but not in a hurry for them to happen either. Mainly I just hope I'm already dilating without even knowing about it - that would be awesome!

#20 Serapod

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Minxy, I am NOT hopeful that my February baby will actually be born in February, more like the opposite, like the March babies being born in February, haha!

#21 Clarial

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Congratulations Aminila! Welcome Thomas Joseph (great name)

Really lovely to hear how your dog reacted protectively. We have 4 dogs to supervise with meet and greet when the time comes.

:-)

#22 *Katey*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (5ratbags @ 25/02/2013, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else having to express colostrum pre delivery? I had three goes at hand expressing and got practically nothing, so tonight I gave it one last shot with the pump and hey presto 2 and a bit syringes later I have something to take with me to hospital biggrin.gif

I'm finding the opposite.

I can get a good 5 - 10ml hand expressing, but I bought a nice Tommee Tippee manual pump (incase I need it after bub is born) and just out of curiosity tried to express some colostrum with it, and got absolutely nothing, not a drop. Tried hand expressing again.... and got just as much as I normally do  huh.gif

#23 The Feral Plum

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I couldn't express anything before I had DS - not a drop. I can't this time either, and I breastfed DS until he was over 2 and did a lot of pumping/hand expressing without any problems getting enough milk, although it was really time consuming for the first 6 weeks or so (DS had to be fed with a syringe so I had to express for around 40 minutes for each feed).

I'm getting a lot of BH too, yesterday I ended up resting on the sofa for an hour because it was just so uncomfortable (and with the c-section date booked in I really don't want to go into labour and then have to have a rush to hospital and a c-section at speed. Legs crossed!

Other news - DS has a cold. Since he woke me up by sneezing in my face, I suspect I'm doomed. Hopefully it is gone before the baby gets here!

And congratulations Aminila on the arrival of Thomas!

#24 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Pium - that's a lovely thing to wake up to! I'm sure similar things are going to happen to us once we have one of these lovely child creatures! Hope you don't get sick! Good luck for your CS - look forward to hearing the news of your little one's arrival.

We've got an appt at genetics today to start the search for the pesky HCM gene. Luckily there was a cancellation so we were offered the appt now rather than in a few weeks time. We're not really sure what it will involve but think it will be an info/consent session. Glad the ball is rolling - we've been on the waiting list since the start of July last year.
Hope everyone is doing okay awaiting the arrival of their bubs. I'm starting to feel really tired and am enjoying a nap everyday. I wish the house was finished so I could feel less guilty about the napping!

#25 Cloria

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Expressing colostrum - Don't mean to be rude but what's the purpose??

Aminila - Can't remember if I've said congratulations yet! My brain is a lost cause at this point. But congratulations!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.