Sherlock Holmes - would you diagnose ....
--total fluff--

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

ADD or on the autism spectrum somewhere?

I've seen both theories posited online and although I don't have the knowledge either way, I must say that the evidence for ADD reminds strongly of myself.   (In No way am I suggesting that I'm brilliant in any comparable way)

So, if you had to diagnose on the evidence, what would you say?

(Re-stating -  THIS IS TOTAL FLUFF)

#2 JustBeige

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Which Holmes are you talking about? biggrin.gif

The RDJ one is very very different to the JLM one wiith BC somewhere in between (I think).   The RDJ is just smart and arrogant (I still love him though). The JLM one does have quirks but he also has an addictive personality, so some of his quirks or repetitions could be do to with that or OCD more than AS.   I think the BC one also has quirks but not necessarily OCD, more social awkwardness tainted by arrogance because he observes so much.     None of them are totally literal and detect nuances in life.

Unlike 'Sheldon' who is socially awkward and arrogant and couldnt detect a social  nuance if it smacked him in the face.  Jim Parsons once said that he plays him with Aspie traits as he felt thats how his mind worked.  

#3 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Most of the theories I've seen are based on the book version, which is why I have no opinion, as I've really only seen the Downey movies and the Cumberbatch series.  I refuse to watch Elementary on principle Tounge1.gif

Given the one book I have read some time ago, I would say the BC verse is the closer of the two.

#4 Futureself

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Soprano-Cat @ 25/02/2013, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I refuse to watch Elementary on principle Tounge1.gif

I get around my horror of the 'adjustments' they have made to the Sherlock universe in Elementary by simply refusing to acknowledge that Joan is Watson and that this is supposed to be Sherlock Holmes and merely view the show as a clever crime drama  happy.gif I'm quite enjoying it and think JLM portrays an interesting character...
I agree that BC does a Sherlock closest to what is portrayed in the books and he's definitely 'quirky'. I think perhaps Sherlock is on the spectrum

#5 madmother

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Can someone translate the shorthand for a sleep deprived mumma?

Who is BC? Or what?

#6 madmother

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Oh, and JLM and RDJ distract me from such theories with their HOTNESS!

#7 Punky'sDilemma

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

BC stands for Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock Holems in the BBC's Sherlock

Having only read some of the books and only watching Sherlock I think that the character is definitely open to interpretation. Personally I think the Sherlock's quirkiness is due mainly just to character flaws rather than ASD or ADD, especially when you take into account the time in which it was written and therefore the author's intent when creating the character, and that Conan Doyle's had no knowledge of either ADD or ASD. I have always read Sherlock as someone who has very little social awareness and is very arrogant simply because he is so caught up in the problems that he solves and his addictions. However, I think BC does portray him as possibly having quirks that are due to something more.

As opposed to Tony Hill in Wire in the Blood, which I think there is a stronger case for ASD or ADD due to the contemporary setting of the original books.

#8 JustBeige

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (blue.bird @ 25/02/2013, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh MM, you HAVE to have a look at this one if you love the other two.

I have always read Sherlock as someone who has very little social awareness and is very arrogant simply because he is so caught up in the problems that he solves and his addictions. However, I think BC does portray him as possibly having quirks that are due to something more.

I agree. Very much to the book.

As opposed to Tony Hill in Wire in the Blood, which I think there is a stronger case for ASD or ADD due to the contemporary setting of the original books.
Oh yes, his poor character. what a mess he was in the end

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 25/02/2013, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't read the books and have only seen the BC version, I don't think he has either ASD or ADD. He's just a sociopath.
  Why do you say that? as opposed to just socially awkward and NPD or arrogant

#9 JustBeige

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 25/02/2013, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The BBC has a Sherlock showing as well?  Is this free to air TV or paid TV?

Dont know about the BBC, but the BC Sherlock was free to air here.  Another series has been commissioned for this year, so I cant wait and I hope we get to see it this year and not in 3years time!

#10 ednaboo

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

OP, I don't know because I didn't watch Sherlock.  I just wanted to say Jonny Lee Miller is wonderful!

#11 kadoodle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ignoring the film and television remakes, I was under the impression that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle intended Holmes to be a brilliant psychopath and Dr Watson as his damaged moderating influence.  Oh the slash you could write....

#12 FeralZombieMum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Personally I think there are plenty of English characters (IRL and in fiction) that have Aspie traits. wink.gif

I often wonder if Shakespeare could have had it as well.

#13 JaneLane

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

There is definately 'something' about holmes that it hard to pin point .  I love both RDJ and JLM.  Never seen BC, is that the one with a quite young looking Holmes I remember seeing ads for years ago?

I love JLM in whatever he does, great actor.  I must find my trainspotting DVD and watch it after the kids go to bed!

#14 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I wouldn't have thought a sociopath/psychopath would have been able to be moderated by an outside influence?

Stop Calling Sherlock a Sociopath! Thanks, a Psychologist.

I think points in favour of ASD were:  fixation on a topic of interest, lack of social awareness, pattern-findings

Points in favour of ADD - hyperfocus and excitement when case arrives, almost immediate lapse into boredom when not working, fidgetiness, weird experiments to occupy brain.

#15 kadoodle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Very interesting, thanks, SC.

#16 PatG

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (blue.bird @ 25/02/2013, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having only read some of the books and only watching Sherlock I think that the character is definitely open to interpretation. Personally I think the Sherlock's quirkiness is due mainly just to character flaws rather than ASD or ADD, especially when you take into account the time in which it was written and therefore the author's intent when creating the character, and that Conan Doyle's had no knowledge of either ADD or ASD.

Why does Doyle's lack of "knowledge" of ADD or ASD preclude him from writing a character with ASD or ADD traits - just because he didn't have current terminology to label people doesn't mean he didn't know people who would, in the current world, potentially be diagnosed with something specific.

#17 JustBeige

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

V
QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 25/02/2013, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was right there in the script - in the first episode. It was written as an off the cuff comment, but it is totally Moffat's style to have the answer right there in plain sight.

eta: I hadn't previously seen ^ that article.

Oh OK, I didnt know that. Thank you original.gif

Very interesting article too.

#18 DreamFeralisations

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (ZombieMum @ 25/02/2013, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think there are plenty of English characters (IRL and in fiction) that have Aspie traits. wink.gif

I often wonder if Shakespeare could have had it as well.

I have a friend who believes that all of the English are on the spectrum somewhere - she has an ex and a doctorate in psychology to go with that hypothesis.

I accidentally caught Elementary this week and haven't had the joy of watching much else in the last decade Sherlock related, but often fictional main detectives traits are exaggerated to highlight their detecting.  The fact that this accidentally identifies traits similar to ASD, NPD etc.

Its funny that we can accept it in a male detective - Miss Marple, however, will always  be a nosy busybody with too much time on her hands and too many dead bodies launching themselves at her holiday destinations.

#19 leisamd

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Ha, I'm halfway through the book right now.  My favourite is the  BBC Holmes.

I honestly don't think he'd be on the spectrum or anything else.  I think he is highly intelligent.  He gets along well with Watson and is very charming to most people - even one's he's just met.  He understands and intuitively grasps other people's emotions and motivations.  I nearly said he was introverted but I don't think so actually, in some cases he is quite outgoing.  I guess still introverted (keeps to himself, only 1 or 2 close friends) but not shy or even awkward.  Just chooses the company of his own thoughts.

Also, a drug user.  I wouldn't even say NPD or Psychopath, there are instances where he feels real empathy for his clients...

I think these sorts of traits are greatly exaggerated on the screen.  In the book Watson doesn't seem annoyed with him at all.

Edited by leisamd, 26 February 2013 - 07:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.