Would you not send your child to a party that clashed with your church service?
Update post 115

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Canberra Chick

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

This is not something that even occurred to me as an issue! DS's birthday is next Sunday. He's having a party at home with a few friends, from 11-1. His best friend is unsure if he can come, because his family go to church on Sunday morning.
I would have thought as a one off you could leave your child at the party, go to church with the rest of the family and collect him afterwards. Or would this be completely beyond the pale?

I don't remember any problems from my childhood, but then there were fewer parties then. So to church goers, would you not let your child attend the party?

Edited by Canberra chick, 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Fyn Angelot

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I don't know about "not let," exactly.  But if the party starts at 11, and church starts at 10 (for example), it would be awkward to drop a child very early.  Most churchgoers would be well and truly in the service by 11.

On the other hand, as a one off, no, I probably wouldn't have a problem.  But if it became a regular pattern of clashing commitments, I might well start saying that in our family church is a priority and isn't always going to come last.

#3 Lees75

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Growing up, I would never have been allowed to go to a party Sunday morning.  

With my kids, I am a lot more easy-going and would let them go. It has only happened once, and was quite logistically painful, to be honest! I had to be at church at 9am for set up, then raced off to drop him to a party at 10am, back to church (missed the first bit as it started at 10am), in time to take the children's talk, which they had to postpone because I wasn't back yet- lol! If it hadn't have been for DS's friend's mum offering to take him home with her, I would have had to leave church to pick DS up and then head back to church to help finish the pack up.

#4 Canberra Chick

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Oh if it was all the time, fair enough. But this is apparently DS's best friend and I'd be happy for him to come round early as he is no trouble and it would reduce DS's hyperness pre party!

#5 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

For us it would depend on the location of the church / location of the party. Most church services start at 10, so it wouldn't just be a matter of dropping child off at 11 then returning - you'd probably have to skip church. Especially if the party was far away from the church.
If it was a best friend and there wasn't anything "special" happening at church that day, I would probably skip church the once to take the child while DH took rest of family to church. I wouldn't if it wasn't a really close friend or if there was something happening at church that I really didn't want to miss (baptism, kids concert etc).

ETA - I just read your response and in that situation I would drop the child off before church and pick up after (if all was fine with hosting parents!)

Edited by luvmy2bubs, 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#6 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I can't remember a clash like this from childhood but I can say for certain that I would not have in a million years been allowed to skip church for anything. Well, maybe an emergency hospital admission but not much else. Way OTT on my parent's part but different strokes for different folks.

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

If church was that important, I'd make arrangements to go to a different service.

#8 JaneDoe2010

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Canberra chick @ 24/02/2013, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be happy for him to come round early as he is no trouble and it would reduce DS's hyperness pre party!

I think it would be good to offer that, as logistically it could be difficult. Some hard core Christian parents might not let their kids go and miss church, you'll have to just see I guess.

#9 luke's mummu

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I would let my child go to the party, presuming it's a one-off or annual event! My son doesn't get invited to heaps of parties, so I am happy for him to go whenever he is. Church/Sunday school is on every week for us.

But then again, I try not to schedule my kid's birthday parties for Sunday mornings. I understand if you have several kids, and they get invited to heaps of parties, you may feel different to me.

#10 Wiggle-fan's_Mum

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

In Year 1 - so turning 7, one of DD's friends invited a church-goer to a 12 - 2 Sunday party and her Mum had a voice message left by the father which was quite terse and said "We do not go to birthday parties on Sunday. Sunday is the day of the Lord a day to go to church and spend with family"

#11 Foogle

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I would have thought as a one off you could leave your child at the party, go to church with the rest of the family and collect him afterwards. Or would this be completely beyond the pale?

Not beyond the pale but if it were my DS's best friend then I think I would have been aware of their Sunday morning commitment and scheduled the start of the party to be a little later.

#12 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 24/02/2013, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If church was that important, I'd make arrangements to go to a different service.

This wouldn't be possible for us! No other services! biggrin.gif

Another thing for our family, is that I want my kids to want to go to church and enjoy it. If they were missing their best friend's party for church, that would be quite negative. If it was happening all the time, different story, but for once off's I think flexibility is good.

I would also just mention to the parents that you're happy to watch him, however I guess it would depend on how important it is to them for their son to be at church that day.

#13 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#14 Always amazed!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I wouldnt have a problem with a sunday party but that's because i go to church on a Saturday  wink.gif

But i wouldnt have a problem with it.. I would work it out so thy could go .. especially if it was my kids best friend:)

#15 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

On of DD's friends family are very religious and they would never allow their daughter to miss church for a party. But these people are very fanatical about religion.. we were over at their place one day and out of the blue the mother got the 7 year old to 'lay hands and start praying' for someone who was visiting! That person is not religious at all so to say it was awkward was an understatement!

DD wants to have a sleep over for her birthday but we know her freind won't be allowed to come because they often do church stuff on Saturday night too. Their whole life is about church.

Growing up we went to church every Sunday afternoon without fail. We didn't go to things because we had church. I think now my parents were a bit OTT about it. Not as bad as DD's Friends family though.

Going to another service is not always an option. Some smaller churches only have one service or maybe only one that is for families.

Edited by Princess.cranky.pants, 24 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#16 baddmammajamma

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (myfamilyrocks @ 24/02/2013, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many people go to church then have a strictly family day on a Sunday. No other visitors, no visiting others.

We have a lot of church going friends, but I can't think of a single person in our very large circle of diverse friends who would issue a blanket "No outside social activities on Sunday. Ever!" But, of course, I can appreciate that there might be people who do exactly as you've mentioned above.

OP, can your son's best friend come to the party late? Or could you extend it a little on the back end (just for him) so he could have some extra play time with your son?

Among my kids' friends, Sunday parties tend to start around noon or so, to allow those who attend morning services to get home.

I think it's worth the effort to reach out to the parents and offer to have him for the entire morning as well -- hopefully, they will see that as a gracious gesture, not one that is trying to get in the way of their churchgoing habits.

Hope your son has a lovely party!

#17 liveworkplay

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 24/02/2013, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. Or miss it for that week. But my belief is that you do not need to be in a church to worship your version of "God" so attending church on a regular basis is not the be all and end all for me.

A similar thing happened at DD's former dance school (2 years running!) with a family who were Seventh Day Adventists and would not allow their children to participate in the end of year concert (non compulsory) because of church. However, our former dance school then required every other student to give up their Sunday morning (Oh yes, the irony!) to do a mock dance piece just for those parents, we were not permitted to stay!!

Edited by liveworkplay, 24 February 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Do you know what religion?

My children don't attend parties on Sunday and not because of the time of the service (no you couldn't choose another time either) it wouldn't matter what time, they would be unable to attend.

#19 LovingTheBeach

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

My DS is only a baby but as he grows up I would be ok with missing church (ours is at 10am) every now and then for a birthday party, but if there were a few parties close together that coincided with our church time, then I would explain to the parents of the birthday child our commitment to church and that DS would be unable to make it.

#20 leisamd

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

For a best friend and once off we'd probably skip church. However it would take some thought. For example, our church starts at 9.30 & we often don't leave til nearly 1 pm. It's an important commitment to us. There are no other services to attend. We also only have one car so it would mean the whole family is likely to skip. Once off is fine, but church really is a big priority, it's not so simple.

#21 MarigoldMadge

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think it really depends on the denomination and the commitment to their parish/congregation... growing up Catholic, my mum knew the timetable of every parish in driving distance.... we could do a Saturday night service, early Sunday, right through to the last Sunday night one, at 7pm. We would just chop and change services, depending on our plans.

Whereas, I have one branch of my extended family that have members who are Mormon, Assembly of God and Presbyterian, and they all have one service to attend - and that service is not the 45 minute Catholic mass, there's Sunday school, bible study groups, elder gatherings... often becoming almost an all day event.  

We would have no problem attending a birthday party like yours, because church was something we fitted into our weekend, whereas for others, Church is set in stone, and everything else is fitted in around that.

#22 Emby

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

We've never made the kids miss a party for church (and our school friends have Sunday parties all the time), but sometimes the logistics can get pretty hairy. The problem is, being pretty involved, we often have duties. I can't really skip if I'm supposed to be playing the piano or leading Sunday School! We've been known to send one parent off to church on a bike while the other one drives round to do the party dopoff, and then swap transport half way through wink.gif

You should definitely tell the BF's parents you're happy to have him round early, it may make their life a lot easier.

#23 Rolex

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Canberra chick @ 24/02/2013, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly what one of my 10yo son's friend's did for his party last Sunday.  In fact, when his mum rang to RSVP, she said that her son will be happy that he gets to miss church for a week wink.gif

Having said that, with my kid's best mates, I have always checked the date with their mum before I finalise and send invites out.  Would be sad not to have their bestie there!

#24 *mylittleprince*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

There are so many different options and solutions.

Our church has an 8am, 10am and 6pm service. Regular church attendance is important for us and our children. We could however choose between the first two services but the 6pm would not suit us as we have two 4 month olds that would need to sleep before the service ends.

I would allow DS (3 years) to skip church as a once off if needed.

With regards to people 'having a whole Sunday off' I only know one friend who makes Sunday a church and family day, so no other activities. All/most of our friends are regular church goers and all have busy weekends.

I would definately mention to the parents that you are willing to look after the child before/after to fit in with their church service. They might think that you would be too busy so don't want to ask. Also, many people serve in some capacity so either them/husband/partner wouldn't be able to get off.

#25 tibs

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

We had my DS's last party on a Sunday morning - because many of his friends had soccer on Saturday morning and all the younger kids including 2 of mine would be feral by the time an afternoon party would have rolled around.  We had 2 kids who couldn't come because of church.  There's always something on sometime for somebody  shrug.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.