Are the reviews for the OzHead hair straightener faked?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Does anyone know?The OzHead hair straightener on product review has 90 excellent feed backs, and 8 good feedbacks. The majority of which are done by people with only one review (being the hair straightener one) yet they all have lovely display pics..
Anyone else curious? Or am I imagining it?

#2 katpaws

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I don't know about reviews for the hair product, but i do know of reviews being put up on that website by a particular company themselves or people acting in the best interests of that company creating profiles that have positive reviews of the product/service. The new profiles are usually set up by people who never post anything again and use their full names. You can often see the same review or exact same name on other product type review websites. I know of one person who put up a genuine review of a company that was bad (but accurate review) and it was removed as being inappropriate. On another review website there was a company cutting and pasting "testimonials" from their website as "reviews".

I understand that product review is not considered a reliable source for reviews.

If you think that there are problems with the reviews let the moderators know or put in a complaint to the ACCC. After seeing so many fake profiles and reviews done by one company (or someone acting on their behalf/interests) I do not place any value on these sort of review websites. One site i know of won't publish anything negative about one company as the company pulls them off asap, even if they are genuine. Otherwise , do a a search on the account (profile) name and/or text content, sometimes you come up with interesting results.

Edited by katpaws, 24 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#3 sāta kōrsa

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I understand your suspicions, Peridot.  I had a look and thought the same thing.  Mostly one review wonders, all with nice photos and some of them the same photos.  Very sus.

I find the ones with fewer reviews done by people who review other products too far more believable.

#4 elizabethany

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

There is a thriving market for posting fake reviews.  I tend to lend double weight to bad ones, as they are generally not faked, but the good ones could be.

#5 ~Elphaba~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have no idea, but at that price, get the instyler (you can get from Goodguys for $114 or the website for a bit less).  It's a curler and straightener in one.  Their reviews might be faked too, for all I know, but my niece, my daughter and I all have one.  I have super thick super frizzy hair which no straightener has worked on with less than an hour and halfs work, and this takes less than 10 mins to completely straighten it.  Another 5 if I want to add some smooth curls.

My niece prefers it to her GHD!

#6 Cherubs

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

I don't know if they are fake, but if you look at the negative on the first review on this page, it may explain why they have a lot of feed back.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ozhead-thinkpink/7.html

#7 Born Slippy

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I don't know if the reviews are fake, but I own one and I am impressed with it (well, everything but the name which is simply terrible).

I also didn't get a request to leave feedback from the company.

Edited by Born Slippy, 24 February 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#8 OzHead

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to drop by and say that all our reviews are from customers and we don't use any kind of farming or link providers.

The only thing that we do, is write to customers and ask if they can spare a few minutes to leave us a review. (We don't ask even for positive ones) - this is the key reason why you will find that many of the reviewers have only a single review or post.  (To everyone that took the time to leave us a review THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH)

We are actually quite a small company, there's only five of us, but we work exceptionally hard to try and make sure that every one of our customers is happy.

We have personally been on the smelly end of the customer service of some of our bigger competitors in the past and it was one of the reasons that we started OzHead in the first place.

In fact, I'd say that a great many of the reviews we do get, is when people get a problem during their warranty period and its a hassle free exercise. Our target, is to get a replacement out to customers in their 3 year warranty period within 24 hours. Luckily we don't get many back.  wink.gif

Last but not least, we keep an eye on other products being reviewed, and you can still spot the ones that are a bit suspect, by the fact that all of the glowing reviews are interspersed with really scathing reviews original.gif

If anyone has any questions or wants to call us directly just give us a buzz on 1800 594 323. We'd be happy to answer any of the "tough" questions.  cool.gif

You can even see us on facebook : http://www.facebook.com/OzHead.hair.straighteners

#9 snortle

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

OT but I always find it so creepy when ^^^ happens.
Its happened a few times while I've been on EB and it feels so uncomfortable knowing company reps are out there trawling for feedback and getting all creeper on people who want to ask a simple question.

#10 Filulah

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Me too. Creepy. Doesn't make me feel better about any company that makes a profile on a mummy forum to defend itself. I'm fickle and more likely to not buy from the company on principle... (I'm not sure what principle it is, just a fickle, easily-irritated mummy principle.)

#11 darcswan

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (snortle @ 03/06/2013, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its happened a few times while I've been on EB and it feels so uncomfortable knowing company reps are out there trawling for feedback and getting all creeper on people who want to ask a simple question.

I think that's a bit unfair.  Most online companies set up google alerts or similar so they know when someone writes about their product.  I think its good customer service to address customer concerns directly.

But - I too have a healthy skepticism about these review sites.  Their customer is not us, the consumer.  We're just their product.  Instead, they make money from the companies we review, so ultimately any decisions they make will be biased towards keeping them happy.  I think the review sites are easily gamed so they really only form part of my decision making process.  So while negative reviews might make me look elsewhere, positive reviews won't sway my decision one way or another.

#12 OzHead

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (snortle @ 03/06/2013, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Snortie

OMG I'm really so sorry if I creepered you out, but as we searched for our company name on Google today and this discussion topic appeared on page one, basically questioning the reviews, I thought it was only fair to get a chance that we got to make a mention in our defense of genuinely good reviews.

We're not a multi-national with an unlimited budget, but a mum and dad company working out of an Aussie garage on the Central Coast.

Also we'd done a competition for Essential Baby with a bunch of free givaways a couple of years ago so  its a site that's always been on our radar.

We're just asking for a fair go sad.gif

The Simple question, was are the reviews genuine. Yes they are. original.gif Truly.

#13 Mrs Z Feral

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well, I've never seen it but I agree, it's totally weird.... perhaps they just google for their company name and the EB thread came up  and they felt a need to explain themselves??? surely another mention of their product can't hurt right? wink.gif

Guess I was right biggrin.gif good ole google

Edited by mrsznasty, 03 June 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#14 Betty_D

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I don't really see how it's creepy. If I owned a small business and saw a post which basically called into question my business's integrity - of course I'd want to have my say.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't trust negative reviews either. A friend told me rival businesses in her area had given her company negative reviews on urbanspoon.

Some reviews seem genuine. I trust individual reviews, not whether they're positive or negative. Like the first review under the Ozhead. She seems for real.

QUOTE (darcswan @ 03/06/2013, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's a bit unfair.  Most online companies set up google alerts or similar so they know when someone writes about their product.  I think its good customer service to address customer concerns directly.

I agree with this.

What creeps me out if political party stooges on EB.

#16 terri_Mc

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

So just maybe this product is brilliant and people got nothing but positive things to say about it?

Don't work for them and have my GHD which I'm happy with.

#17 lizzzard

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (darcswan @ 03/06/2013, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Give them a fair go original.gif

#18 OzHead

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

You know I'm a mum of 4 myself  I started OzHead, when one of may teen daughters wanted a "known" brand of pink hair straighteners back in 2008 for Xmas - and it was like well over $300. It was almost cheaper to start a company.

For me the customer service was "THE" key component. So many people we spoke to had products that "just" ran over the 12 month warranty and got jack all in the way of support or repair.

I'm going to get well and truly on my soap box now, because over the last few years we have had products from so many companies but got the complete runaround, much to my disgust, whenever anything went wrong. Either from overseas call centers or Friday afternoon attitudes. Customer service IMHO has gone to crap in so many places.

A silly example, but we used to get out internet services from "xxxtel" ... and it was SO bad - we used to wait for hours on the phone for the overseas call centres to either take our call, or even then stuff it up.. Then we ended up stumbling across a company called LoCall Australis - a little mob in QLD. We had a few teething issues, but any time I ever had a problem, I called support the same friendly caring guy answered the phone - the owner of the company, and problems were miraculously fixed in no time.

I've never thought of myself as being particularly demanding in any sense, but sometime I've just felt like banging my head against a brick wall with the way customer support has gone in our country with so many large brands not giving a stuff once they've had your money.  

I will always be polite until big companies ignore me or patronise me to the point that I lose my mind.

Subaru, Sunbeam, Telstra, Optus, Crazy Johns, Dell - you all did my head in original.gif

(L.G. - omg when my washing machine blew up, you guys were amazing)

I just don't ever want anyone engaging with my company and feeling like they got the rough end of the stick. I'd rather lose money many times over than someone being unhappy, because I take everything really personally. Bad reviews, doubly so, because someone in the world actually spent their time and energy to put pen to paper to complain.

Conversely, every time we get a great review, we take it as an excuse to celebrate around the office room. I know that 110 reviews over the last 4 or so years is nothing really dramatic compared to some of the major players, but this year we have finally gotten some press from the major press, IE  InStyle Magazine & Style Icons and we are having our first run at the Hair Expo in Sydney.

And, you know what? For my 2c, that's how it should be, regardless of whether you are a teeny company like ours, or a US conglomerate. You have to care about your customers.

If you are paying over $100 for a hair straightener then it'd damn well better last u 3 years or more, or u get a replacement, postage refunded and freebies.

Luv
Dalma

#19 OzHead

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (lizzzard @ 03/06/2013, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. Give them a fair go original.gif

Thanks Lizzzard original.gif

#20 RockyV

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have one. I like it. Took it to my hairdresser to show her and she thought it was as good / better than the GHD since they had it made elsewhere (can't remember where the manufacturing country changed from/t).

I had great service and have no affiliation to the company. I have not left a review on any site about it and don't recall being asked to do so.

I think they are pretty impressive to be on here explaining their POV and defending their business. Too many people whinge about poor service but now the company addressing the issues is considered "creepy"? What's that about!?

#21 Mrs Z Feral

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

I suppose it's just a reminder that nothing you say online is a secret wink.gif It's been a great promotional opportunity for the business though because until this thread I had never heard of them, or it.

#22 weepingangel

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

With 4 females in our house using hair straighteners I'm tempted to give this one a go!

Impressed with the company coming on here and conversing with people- it's not creepy at all.

#23 Jenferal

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I always check product review. I never even considered fake reviews. But the cynical part of me isn;t surprised they exist.

#24 EBeditor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

We are quite happy to allow companies a 'right of reply' when their products and services are discussed on EB. We rank very highly on Google so it is not surprising that business owners find their EB mentions easily.

#25 Nora.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Me too. Creepy. Doesn't make me feel better about any company that makes a profile on a mummy forum to defend itself. I'm fickle and more likely to not buy from the company on principle... (I'm not sure what principle it is, just a fickle, easily-irritated mummy principle.)

I find this attitude really petty to be honest. It's not like the company owner came on here under false pretenses. She saw a discussion about the product & came along to reply.

Time and time again we hear frustrated customers who get nowhere with business, who seemingly don't have the time or the interest to answer questions, address concerns. And when they do, they're told they're "creepy" etc.

I think they are perfectly within their right to come along ans answer, I don't see the problem.

Not heard of the product myself. Is it a hair straightener? I'm looking for one that won't completely ruin my hair, but I suspect that's impossible sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.