Rules for booking OS travel

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FluffyOscar

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

We're in the process of getting our holiday organised. We're looking at 3 weeks in Canada to visit DH's family and a week in New York. I want to book our tickets now for travel in December/January, but only DH and I have our passports.
  • Can I book tickets for the 4 of us, even though the girls won't have their passports yet?
  • Do I just leave a deposit on the airfares? How long do I have to pay for the tickets in full?
  • What level of flexibility can I expect with a ticket bought in Feb? What if something happens in March and we need to re-schedule?
  • If we would like to go at the end of the year, have I left it too late?
  • Do I just go to a travel agent? We will need transfers and accommodation and travel across the border to Toronto (train?) - will a travel agent organise all of this for us?

Thanks for any help. I haven't travelled in around 10 years, and then I would just book everything myself over the net (such as it was at the time!).

Edited by FluffyOscar, 24 February 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#2 Madeline's Mum

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

You'll need the children's passports to book the tickets. For international fares they take your passport number at the time of booking. You'll also need to get ESTA visas for you and your husband (possibly children depending on age). Be careful of fake sites, they are only $14 each but fake sites will charge about $40.

You need to pay the balance of the flights within about 24 hours if you book them yourself, it might be different if you do it via a travel agent but I would never use an agent, I think you can do it all yourself these days.

Depending on airline, they'll charge between $200-500 to change the flights.

Definitely not, you can't book a flight more than 12 months in advance so now's a great time.

Like I said, I wouldn't use a travel agent, I reckon you can do it all yourself, but if you're worried about go with an agent.

New York that time of year will be pretty busy so I would book accom ASAP once I knew my flight details.

Have fun original.gif

#3 blackcat20

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Madeline's Mum @ 24/02/2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on airline, they'll charge between $200-500 to change the flights.

There will be a change fee, plus any fare difference between what you paid and what is available.
I didn't need my passport to book, but you do need to fill in that info (at least on the Qantas website) before you travel.

#4 Jo_P

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Are there sale airfares now for Dec/Jan? If not I'd wait until they go on sale, generally it's about 6 months beforehand.
You can purchase flexible airfares but they cost so much more then the sale fares that it's not even worth it most of the time, normally you just pay a change fee (around $200 pp I think) and then the difference in the airfare cost.
You can definitely book everything yourself, and from experience we've found booking ourselves a better option as USA hotels have really good cancellation policies with no fees if you cancel some even to 24hrs before check in, whereas a travel agent will charge you a fee whenever you cancel or change.
Pop on over to the USA travel thread if you want to ask all the ladies in there more questions original.gif

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Madeline's Mum @ 24/02/2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll need the children's passports to book the tickets. For international fares they take your passport number at the time of booking. You'll also need to get ESTA visas for you and your husband (possibly children depending on age). Be careful of fake sites, they are only $14 each but fake sites will charge about $40.

This is not correct - not all airlines / agents collect passport numbers.  We booked flights for both DD and DS before we had their passports (in 2011 and 2009).  Don't book before a child is born though as you do need a date of birth!!

In terms of cancellation / reschedule fees, the more discounted the ticket is, the more you are likely to be charged.  In some cases, all you may receive back is the taxes.  I would not book until I was 100% of my dates.  If you are committed to booking but want the ability to change you flights, book a fully flexible fare.

Most airlines haven't released their Dec/Jan specials yet - I know 'cause I am waiting for them!!

#6 FeralBob!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I've never had to provide passport details at the time of booking, just had to make sure I provide them before we get the tickets.

#7 naturalgoodness

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

You can book before birth, you just give your EDD as the date and when they are born you contact the airline and they will update the record free of charge (we have booked o/s tickets for our yet to be born baby).

In addition, the specials are never as good for peak period travel as others. If you can get a price that you are happy with now, on the dates you want I would suggest taking them to make sure you are not disappointed later original.gif

#8 lamarque

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

[*] Can I book tickets for the 4 of us, even though the girls won't have their passports yet?

Yes you can.  Have never had to provide passport numbers at time of booking.

[*] Do I just leave a deposit on the airfares? How long do I have to pay for the tickets in full?

If you book your flights yourself you generally have to pay immediately or within three days I think if booking with Qantas.  A travel agent I spoke with said sometimes they can push it out to seven days.

[*] What level of flexibility can I expect with a ticket bought in Feb? What if something happens in March and we need to re-schedule?

Generally you pay a bit more for flexibility.  You'll have to read the fine print when booking as each fare is different.  

[*] If we would like to go at the end of the year, have I left it too late?

Probably not but if you're thinking of New York - I would start looking at accommodation as I'm sure the Christmas / New Year period would get busy.

[*] Do I just go to a travel agent? We will need transfers and accommodation and travel across the border to Toronto (train?) - will a travel agent organise all of this for us?

We went to the travel expo and booked our flights to the US.  I've pretty much arranged the rest myself (accommodation and transfers) as the loading from the agent was just crazy.  They got a great deal at one place that I couldn't beat so I went with them on that.  

The US thread is great for tips on transfer companies and accommodation etc.   original.gif

#9 whale-woman

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (nlman @ 24/02/2013, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not correct - not all airlines / agents collect passport numbers.  We booked flights for both DD and DS before we had their passports (in 2011 and 2009).  Don't book before a child is born though as you do need a date of birth!!

For unborn babies just book your tickets and when then bub is born call the airline and add the bubs name to the ticket.

#10 B.feral3

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I worked an an international travel agent for 6 years.

We tend to get longer ticketing time limits that what you can get online.

Internet based airlines such as Virgin, Air Asia are instant purchase and seats cannot be held. Qantas tend to be really inflexible and must be paid within a few days of holding seats. Other airlines we can hold seats for months... sometimes the ticketing time limit is not til 30 days prior to departure. This does vary and sale fares can often require payment withint 30 days, 60 days, by end of that month etc. There is no real hard and fast rule for any one airlines as the fare basis of the fare you are booking can be more or less restrictive.

You don't do yourself a disservice booking though a travel agent. They match internet prices anyway costing you no more.

December is peak season so I wouldn't be waiting for a sale personally. You might not get one. You've missed the early birds now by a few months.

Oh, and I've booked plenty of unborn babies in my time. We just add the details at a later date. We also don't need passports to book a fare. That may be different if you book directly online. I can't vouch for that system.

#11 FluffyOscar

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone. Will call travel agent I think. Sounds complicated  smile1.gif

#12 adl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Actually there is some incorrect information here,

QANTAS has a book now pay later facility, I know because I used it on our December overseas flights that I booked in September...... And I just checked their website, under flights on the left drop down menu...I knew the dates I wanted but I didn't exactly want to pay that month the flights for a number of reasons...it worked out really well...

You may wish to check out other major airlines as well...the discount airlines won't,

With passport applications, if you follow it precisely it took me about 2 weeks from lodgement to get DS's and basically I got lucky with the photos as randomly chose a place that knew how to take passport photos of a baby!!!

Also the visa process through ETSA was surprisingly simple, and yes beware of fakes....also Tripadvisor is great for accommodation etc, handy hints from others

I book all our travel myself, and found I got the best rates going directly... The last time I attempted a travel agent it wasn't the best, they took forever to get back to us, gave us incorrect info that we couldn't do any boat trips in Hawaii with our son....insurance you know was all poppycock.... They are very accommodating and we did squeeze one day trip in!

I say get surfing and have some fun !!

#13 adl

Triple

Edited by adl, 27 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#14 adl

Dp

Edited by adl, 27 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#15 Sal78

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

you don't need your passport to book tickets. only when u travel.

I bought flights for my twins online even before they were born. we decided on their names before they were born and def could not change it since i already bought the flights for travel when they would be around 9 mths old.

When u get the passport you can call the airline to give them the details if u wish.

#16 MegzG

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

i booked tickets online for Vanuatu last year, did not have to provide passport numbers. i booked about 2 weeks before travel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.