What makes a home homely?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 EssentialBludger

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Do you have "stuff" on display? Flowers? Plants? Lamps and rugs? Etc.

Looking for ideas to make my home more homely, warm, cozy, inviting...

Heading off to Ikea today, hit me with your ideas!!

#2 Blueberrymummy

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think a nice photo frame with a picture of your family and definitely a nice cosy rug for the family room.

#3 EssentialBludger

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

We have lots of photos everywhere, I do need to put some more hooks up to hang some on the walls though, they're very bare ATM! laughing2.gif

#4 Brownie22

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think cushions and a nice rug help. Bonus is it is not "stuff" you have to dust or lift up and dust under. I also like a nice print on the wall. You will no doubt get plenty of inspiration at Ikea.

#5 Sentient Puddle

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think soft furnishings like rugs and cushions are good, as are photos (particularly in photo frames that go together). However, what I think really makes a home "homely" is stuff that tells a story of your life, your travels, your family. That stuff can't be bought from Ikea.  Oh, but bookshelves can and I love bookshelves full of books and bits and pieces picked up over the years.

#6 Kiki M

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Personal touches, photographs, objects that have some personal meaning. But not too many, otherwise it just looks cluttered.

I always feel that carpet is more homely than boards or tiles, even though I prefer the look and maintenance of hard flooring in living areas. A rug is a good compromise.

I think it's just about finding the right balance of "stuff" so that it is welcoming and not stark and empty feeling, but not cluttered and overwhelming. Proportion and colour choice has to be taken into consideration. I'm not a big fan of house plants but that's just a personal taste thing.

Lamps are great for cosy, soft lighting.

#7 Gudrun

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Old stuff.  Cushions. Books. Magazines. Things on the walls eg shelves, a framed print or two, framed kids' pictures.  Mosaic of interesting cuttings/printouts affixed with blu-tac.  A throw or two. A standard lamp.  Pot with fabric florals/leaves.   Metal 'sculpture' or kids' or grown-up pottery pieces or something sculpted from wood.    A vase or two that look good both empty and full.   Anything that is you and not everybody else!

Edited by Gudrun, 24 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#8 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Kiki M @ 24/02/2013, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lamps are great for cosy, soft lighting.

this. I think good lighting is incredibly important.

#9 CountryFeral

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I have inherited my ideas of 'homeliness' from my Mum.  
While adherents of a stark minimalist aesthetic probably find my home an eyesore,  for me the eclectic array of 'things' and 'treasures' artworks, antiques and comfortable unusual furniture, bright rugs and cushions and natural materials make it comfortable and welcoming. (we actually have very few photographs on show though!  I do have painted portraits of my both my parents though.)

I don't think anyone has ever come to my home for the first (or second, or third) time and not spent time asking "What is this?" "Who made this?" "What does this do?".

My kitchen is also filled with jars of preserves (many on display, along with the kitchen ephemera) and my biscuit barrel full!

But honestly?

A home is a home because people can feel the love and the welcome offered.

Have fun at IKEA OP!

#10 EssentialBludger

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Great ideas!!

I'm not a fan of the minimalist look, but I don't like clutter either! Lol!

Display homes make me uncomfortable Tounge1.gif

#11 -*meh*-

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

sadly the most we have on display here is lego...

oh and lots of photo frames... i have heaps of photos around the lounge, big individual ones and those multi-picture frames.

And a book case full of books, both adults and childrens. Some reason a book case always looks homely to me!

#12 BadCat

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Put your collections on display.

Fond of old teddy bears?  Display them in your home.  Enjoy unusual fabrics?  Drape them, make cushions from them.

Me, I have a thing for dragons.  I have quite a few on display in the lounge room.  

Also, if you like a particular artist, or style of art, get several pieces (if you can afford them) and make them your collection.  I'm working on that one with metal arts.

Oh, and books.  If you don't have a bookcase in the living area then have somewhere that you can lay down the book you're reading near your favourite chair.  Nothing says home to me more than a book that is clearly being read by someone in the house.

Edited by O TheHugeManatee, 24 February 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#13 gina70

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

A cat or 2 or 3....

I prefer vintage/ retro stuff.  I have flying ducks on the wall as well as a couple of old bevelled mirrors.  Also a collection of china birds from Japan.  I change my cushions every year or 2.  And always fresh flowers.

#14 rocketsurgeon

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

As with PP, personal touches, photos, cushions, books, a random toy or two. Things with stories behind them. A home that gives you an idea of the people who live there.

My BIL has a show-quality home, as SIL got an interior designer to come and work some magic, but its distinctly lacking in warmth. Eg in my 9 yo niece's room there is a vision-board with carefully placed images that are supposed to be aspirational but just seem artificial and contrived. Pictures of Prada placed next to a "cute" quote, images of the Maldives, a pair of ballet flats etc not my niece's work.

#15 cantstayaway

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I pretty well agree with what others have said regardings cushions, rugs etc.

My only other tip would be to choose an 'accent' colour for your home.  My sister had an interior decorator come to her house and she was advised to choose a colour and only purchase accessories in that colour.  

My sister chose red, and has bought lots of red cushions, curtains, decorator vases etc in red.  It ties her home together and gives a more coordinated look.

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Pictures on the wall, preferably ones that actually mean something to you, not just random prints.

#17 MangoTango

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Per the PPs I think its all about photos, flowers, a splash of colour and a comfortable lounge where everyone can sit together and relax.

A few things we have done...

Rather than putting up prints (which we have no connection to) we have chosen our favourite photos from our travels and enlarged them and put them up throughout our house. We also have a wall in the entry of our house covered with framed family photos which I absolutely love and makes me so happy to look at.  

We have a very neutral colour scheme but have accented it with a splash of colour (cushions, lamp shades, ornaments) which ties everything together nicely.

Have fun shopping today! original.gif

#18 The Old Feral

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Art, books, lamps.

Natural materials eg wood, silk, wool.

Happy shopping!

#19 ~ky~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I find your home very homely, OP, bu, that would be because you are there and you are a relaxed and easy person to relax with.

#20 Fluster

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Gudrun @ 24/02/2013, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Old stuff.

Yes.  Or, rather, old, inexpensive stuff that's clean, so I don't worry about inadvertently damaging or messing something up.  I know someone with a lovely home but it's sooo pristine I feel uneasy even sitting on the couch - I inevitably perch on the end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.