Dishwasher vs cleaner
What's the better option??

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Castrophic

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hi all,

Trying to work out what would be the better of the two? Time vs investment.

We have a newborn coming in Sept and think we can wrangle enough money to hire a cleaner for the first 6 months but I got to thinking that maybe it might be worth getting a dishwasher instead (as I glare at the pile on my sink at the moment)

In our kitchen we could only fit probably this one: Bosch Slimline due to narrow benches and no free 600mm width spare cupboards.

It would cost about the same for the cleaner or dishwasher but was thinking in the craziness of the first 6 months a cleaner would be more appreciated.

Can anyone think of any further pros or cons? WWYD?

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Do you need to spend money on a plumber to install water and drainage for the dishwasher? That could cost a few hundred dollars.

What about a cheaper dishwasher and a cleaner for 3 months?

#3 MAGS24

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

Have you looked at Appliances Online? They often have cheaper prices and have free postage to anywhere in Australia. We have bought three appliances from them already and have had no problems. http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/benchto...ne-dishwashers/

You might able to afford a cleaner and a dishwasher if you can find a cheaper dishwasher.

#4 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

I'd go the dishwasher - it gets rid of a daily chore.   Especially if you are going to use bottles and make your own purees and toddler snacks.  

I'm lucky and have both, but the "cleaner day clean" doesn't last long whereas its good being able to just shove the dishes in after every meal.

#5 CountryFeral

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

I'd go the cleaner.

Dishwashers don't get rid of the task of washing dishes, they just change it.  A cleaner will actually do  whole tasks!

My DP does the dishwashing in this house, perhaps your DP might see fit to do the same?

#6 2bundles

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

I actually got rid of my cleaner when my kids were babies. It became too hard to organize to me out when she came. I hate being home when the cleaner comes.

I would go the dishwasher. You will have that for 10yrs.

#7 SummerStar

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Dishwasher. A dishwasher will still be around after 6 months and takes the effort out of that one chore each day.
I am someone who never had an issue with the cleaning with newborns anyway though. Even just the bare minimum (bathrooms cleaned and floor vacuumed) once a week or even left up to 2 weeks if I could get away with it and couldn't be bothered.
I'm just not sure I would have felt spending money on something like that would have been a good investment for me.
Even with my first two who were 18 months apart almost to the day, I'd still pick the dishwasher.

A cleaner would come once a week or so, dishes will always be piling up and needing to be done every day.

Edited by SummerStar, 24 February 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#8 Madnesscraves

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

Dishwasher.

Washing up with with a newborn was horrible. All I wanted was to sleep. Floors can be cleaned every fortnight or so. I'd think dishwasher has a better usage.

#9 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Dishwasher hands down.

I had houses without dishwashers for years, and it was the first thing I got when we moved into our new house. It was the best.

I have a cleaner ATM due to a difficult pregnancy, and a new baby and lot of illness in the past 12months. But I want to cancel them soon. It's lovely for 24 hrs, but then inevitably someone spills something or makes a mess, so we clean a lot anyway! My dh is a bit of a clean freak though so if I didn't have a cleaner he would do a lot.

We have had about 5 things from appliances online in two years and they have been great. You can enter dimensions.

#10 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

I would go for the dishwasher without a doubt. It will last years and I can't stand washing dishes so I adore mine.

#11 ~Supernova~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Dishwasher. Children create SO.MANY.DISHES! Atm I am doing two loads a day, AND washing by hand. I shudder to imagine washing all of that by hand while DS clings to my legs and whines to be picked up. At least with the dishwasher he likes to "help" lol.

#12 vitaechel

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Dishwasher. You will treasure it long after money has run out for a cleaner.
I bought a Bosch and loved it in my house back home. A dishwasher is now an essential in any house we live in (I do have bad eczema on my hands tho, so dishwashing is bad. Even with gloves the heat from water is an issue). DH works around 55 hours a week and often late atm - I would be a mess if I couldn't just throw the dishes in the DW.

#13 MintyBiscuit

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Dishwasher. Our dishwasher died when DS was three weeks old, and I last about three days before having a slight hissy and stating that we had to replace it immediately. I would've gone mad hand washing everything, and since DS moved onto solids the plates and dishes seem to have tripled.

I couldn't have cared less about how clean the house was in those first few months as long as it wasn't putrid, and got very good at doing quick five minute cleans of things. No one died. With a cleaner you're likely to need a tidy house for when they arrive, and there is no way I could have guaranteed tidiness at a set time each week.

#14 Duck-o-lah

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Dishwasher.

My dishwasher exploded on Australia day and with me going on mat leave soon we decided not to replace it ($$$!). After two weeks without it I re-jigged the budget and sacrificed money set aside for other things to get a new one, I can't believe the amount of time we were spending washing dishes, it was ridiculous. (Not to mention DH sucks... I was re-washing half the dishes he had 'washed' wink.gif ) I bought a very cheap one, not expecting too much from it and I'm very pleasantly suprised by its performance.

As pp's have said, it's an investment that you'll have for years, rather than just 6 months. How much time would your cleaner be spending on the dishes anyway?

#15 Kay1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Dishwasher for sure.

If you have any cash left over then a cleaner once a fortnight for a few months shouldn't cost too much and can be a sanity saver.

#16 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Not having had a cleaner, but dishwasher for sure.

I found te messiest time with DD wasn't in the first six months where she was relatively stationary and DP and I were right there with her. It's the 12-18 month period where they don't sit still, tip toys everywhere, spill stuff all over the floor and drag you away from cleaning by your finger if you're not paying much attention to them. Oh, and the nap time decreases to one a day.

A cleaner for the first six months won't help after six months. A dishwasher will help when you've finally got the teething tantrumming toddler to sleep and the place is a bomb site and all you want is time to watch TV.

#17 Spa Gonk

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Dishwasher.  Dishes need washing every day, whereas the cleaner only comes once a week.  So you are still dealing with dishes the other 6 days.  Unless you have a daily cleaner, that would be nice original.gif

I agree with the others that you don't need to do floors once a week and you can also give the bathroom a quick clean.  The stuff that I find I need to keep on top of are dishes and washing, all stuff that a cleaner coming once a week would not be that helpful with.

Another joy of the dishwasher is it keeps your dirty dishes out of sight, even if you then only need to run it every day or 2.

#18 Feraldadathome

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Dishwasher. Then cleaner when both of you are working.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I think I'd like the cleaner.  But in reality, the dishwasher has longevity past 6 months, so I'd go for that.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Dishwasher. It's one of those appliances that I would not go without now.

#21 laridae

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Dishwasher - its going to last longer than the 6 months, and TBH, newborns sometimes sleep a lot, you may find you have lots of time on your hands to clean if you want.

You can get cheaper slimline dishwashers. Try here: http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/benchto...ne-dishwashers/

Edited by laridae, 24 February 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#22 WastingTime

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Dishwasher on interest free so it's small payments and cleaner for less time. My cleaner sometimes just does the floors and kitchen benches but it makes a huge difference. She also tidies for me, ie picks up things and puts them in a big basket so I don't have to clean before she comes if I don't have time.

#23 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

For me a dishwasher would win hands down!!!

With a cleaner, I would still have to tidy up before they came and clean in-between.

I hate doing the dishes by hand.

#24 niggles

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Well I've had both a dishwasher and a cleaner for the first time in the last 12 months. I would say dishwasher. It really has changed my day and when home a lot I like being able to put the dirty dishes away through the day instead of them building up on the bench. There are very few things I have to wash by hand. A dishwasher is also something that will be useful for as long as you live in that home.

When I employed a cleaner recently that has made a huge difference but it does require me to have a fixed time each week when I get the house ready for the cleaner and then go out. I don't think it's all that practical with a newborn to have that sort of rigid schedule. I need 2 hours to get the house ready for the cleaner and then have to be out for 2 hours. That works well with a 1 year old but would not have worked so well when he needed 3 naps a day at unpredictable times. It's also a bit of a luxury having everything mopped and dusted every week. When busy with a new baby I don't think I'd really care all that much about letting the floors go with an extra sweep and a spot wipe instead of a thorough mop, and giving the bathroom a quick once over every now and then.

I love my cleaner but I love my dishwasher even more.

#25 Carabosse

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Dishwasher no question! You might find a cleaner beneficial further down the track when baby is mobile, not sleeping so much and eating solids wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.