Choosing schools and type of education questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Not sure how to really word these questions but here goes!

My DS is only 16 months old but I've started looking into schools for him as we need to decide whether to stay or move and where to go in the next few years etc.

I was thinking of enrolling DS into a Montessori primary school and then sending him to the local public school (if it's still good by then).

DH thinks this is a waste of time as if we're going to fork out tens of thousands of dollars each year we should do it while DS is in high school as that is when he'll get the most out of it.

DH did terribly at school, very bright, but got bored and distracted. He went to one of the best public schools in WA, but it just wasnt right for him. I do wonder if the lack of encouragement from home contributed to this as well. I can't even remember back to school to recall whether my experience was good or bad education wise.

I am really confused. So my questions are:

1. How do you know what kind of education will suit your child? Do you just wait and see and then change them later on?
2. How do you know if the schools in your area are good?
3.  How did you choose your child's school?
4. Is primary education as important as secondary education? (I would have thought yes, but DH thinks aside from learning to read and write, no).

TIA original.gif

Edited by Sunnycat, 24 February 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#2 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

You don't know what your child is going to be like, so you do need to start somewhere and see how it goes - or work it out when they are a preschooler.

How do you know which are good?  Find current parents and ask them. Ask neighbourhood shopkeepers, check out the schoolls directly, etc. You could look at NAPLAN results over time for the same cohort, but meh...

We chose a school based on it meeting our requirements (K-12, sporty, good academics but not selective and big on art&drama) and then chose the closest of the schools on the short list.

I think primary education is extremely important, but I know that isn't a commonly held view.

Most important preparation for school is for you to be prepared to have people tell you your choices are wrong. The things people have said to me about my choice for DS' school astound me.

#3 Etcetera

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think primary school is very important as it sets up (or should set up) a love of learning. Getting those basics down is so important and unless that happens, further schooling is going to be harder.

I think it's way too early to know what your child is going to need. I love the idea of Montessori, our preschool was very much in that vein and I thought it was brilliant. It didn't suit my eldest at all, though DS2 thrived.

Choosing a school was tough as we haven't long been in the area and its a different state so the system is different to what DH and I grew up knowing. We visited some schools and were very upfront about DS and his needs (he has ASD) and chose schools based on their attitude, resources etc. I had envisaged them going to the school down the road that we could walk to but we bypass two others to get to ours 10minutes drive away.

#4 LynnyP

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

I agree entirely that you talk to people whose children got to the schools, talk to pre school teachers about your child's preferences for learning when the time comes, tour the schools, watch the kids going to and from, read the websites and newsletters.

I also agree that primary is as important as secondary.

#5 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the responses original.gif

I'm going to sign DS up to a Montessori play group and see if that suits him. At the moment I have concerns that he's behind for his age, although other parents tell me that he is normal, so I really want to get him on the right track ASAP.

I have no idea about the schools around here, there is one affordable private school and then the normal public schools. We don't live in a posh area but I don't think we live in a terrible area either.

#6 Great Dame

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

We chose Montessori because I believe it suits every child - it's child-led learning so fits with the child's interest.  I guess it does depend on the school and teachers though.

Anyway we started off at Play Group at two different schools and also attended the Open Days of additional two, so looked into four schools all up.  You can also do a class observation (30-60 mins in classroom).   They will also send you a Information Pack.

I think the lower years are really important for education.  I feel in sets up the foundation of learning (something that Montessori believes too as they like them to start at 3).

#7 JBH

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

When looking at primary options I spoke to a few high school teachers (public and private), who were able to give me some insight about their experience of students coming from different primary schools. I also spoke to parents of students at a few schools. We ended up buying a house in the catchment zone of our favoured public school. DS1 started this year.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Madame Protart, will your children go to a Montessori high school as well?

#9 jm3

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

1. How do you know what kind of education will suit your child? Do you just wait and see and then change them later on?

I think it's impossible to tell.  In my experience you either have a strong opinion about where your child should go or you don't.  I would, and have, changed schools after a few years when I didn't think it was suiting my DD.

2. How do you know if the schools in your area are good?

Ask around locally.  Go on a tour and get a feel for the place.  Ultimately, no matter which school you choose, it's going to be a new experience and one that you might be happy with or regret.  It's so hard to know.

3. How did you choose your child's school?

We wanted a catholic education because we felt that was 'better' than public but not as expensive as private.  After four years she was moved to a public school which had far smaller class sizes and more resources for a cheaper fee.  Second child will go where the first one is now but we would look at a private school with a good reputation if she gets a letter of offer.

4. Is primary education as important as secondary education? (I would have thought yes, but DH thinks aside from learning to read and write, no).

I actually think primary is more important.  If you get to high school and you can't read, write, think mathematically and creatively then it won't matter which school you're at you'll likely always be behind.  I think go for the best school you can afford which offers the smallest class sizes you can find!

#10 Great Dame

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 24/02/2013, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Madame Protart, will your children go to a Montessori high school as well?

I hope so but will have to see.  My main issue with the high schools is the very limited numbers.  I think one school had maybe 10ish kids and the other maybe 20ish doing high school.  I like a small school, but that might be a bit too small.  I'm hoping to find something that will compliment Montessori with a larger number of students.

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks everyone and MP. original.gif

I was looking at the site that has the NAPLAN scores and all the schools locally except the Montessori school, have done terribly. I'm not sure if this is a good indicator though.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

1. How do you know what kind of education will suit your child? Do you just wait and see and then change them later on? You don't, so you do what you think is right and be prepared to react if it doesn't work out (bearing in mind that you also don't want to change schools every time something goes a bit wrong).

2. How do you know if the schools in your area are good? Research the types of school that are around you. Asking around is OK, but in our suburb there's a Catholic primary school and a govt primary school. The private school parents look down on the public school parents, so if you asked them, you'd get bad reviews of the public even though they've never had their children there.  I don't think Naplan results are particularly helpful on their own - they don't tell you anything about the background or population of the school, for example we used to live in a mining town and there was a very high student turnover rate in the school, so the results don't necessarily reflect what is happening in the school.

3.  How did you choose your child's school? We're in WA and moved back to Perth from the country last year.  When I was researching primary schools, I decided I wanted an independent public school. Around us, many of the schools are independent, but ultimately we chose this one because they were the only one that would guarantee me a spot in kindy in the middle of 2nd term for my little one.  We have rented a house in the area.

4. Is primary education as important as secondary education? Primary school sets you up for high school, so yes, it is very important. We have kept our options open for high school - the children are all on the lists for private schools, but our local high school is OK, and we have 2 other very good govt high schools nearby, so we could potentially move into their catchment zones before our children reach high school.

#13 Dionysus

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I am a HS teacher.

I think primary school education is just as important as secondary, so would be doing a lot of research into the right primary school.

Thankfully, in my city, we are spoilt for choice a little for good (state), non-zoned primary schools - particularlly in the area in which I live/work

#14 Canberra chick

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I just sent DS to the local school. We had a choice of two based on catchment and I chose the one with a nut ban, that he could walk to without crossing roads and that seemed to have a friendly 'vibe' with buddy systems and not a lot of segregation or hierarchy between junior and senior primary.
It has a strong music emphasis and as someone who grew up with not much arts or creative stuff and only academic reading I really wanted my children to develop all areas of their brain, and music seemed a very direct way of doing that.

He loves it, there are minor irritations (mostly due to me overanalysing stuff) and he is flourishing in all areas, not just the academic side, and he just started a weekend GAT extension club that the school recommended him for.

Early on I was a little concerned mostly because modern teaching doesn't suit his personality. He would have thrived early on in the old system of rote learning times tables, working alone or in a max of pairs, singe desks and quiet etc. but we figured he will need to cope with noise and group work as he gets older, so he's had to tough it out in the past three years and thankfully he is now there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.