Long hair vs short hair

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Help! I can't decide! 50% of my hair is long, past my bra line at the back, the other 50% sits a bit past my shoulders. I've noticed it's started taking longer to dry and do my hair each day. I'm at the guy most nights and go running, so wash my hair most days. I'm thinking of cutting it to be shoulder length and layered, so it will be easier to wash and dry etc.But I think I'll miss my long hair, especially when going out somewhere..How do you get past this? Anyone had a similar dilemma?

#2 treefalls

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm solving all of my hair dilemmas by joining in the Worlds Greatest Shave!
.... just in case you want another option wink.gif

#3 senshi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

chop it!! original.gif
You will love the change and how it feels. That has been my experience anyway. Most important thing is a good hairdresser who you trust.

#4 Peridot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

My hubby just said "just go and cut it!" LOL
At the moment I use it as an excuse to not exercise twice a day, as I can't shower twice a day because it takes two hours to dry! So I think he figures, and I can see it too, that my health is more important at the moment than my looks? If that makes sense.. Argh I don't know.. I'm here stressing about my hair when there are people here with far worse problems in their lives!

#5 sāta kōrsa

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

What's your hair like Peridot?  Thick, thin, easy to manage?  Do you have/want a fringe?  How do you normally do it when you go out?

#6 Peridot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

I don't trust hairdressers lol! I'd be doing it myself.. I've cut my own hair for the past 6 years! And my daughters hair, and my hubby's original.gif

#7 Peridot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Normally when I go out, I just spray it with hairspray and bunch it up in my hands, and it just hangs in a mass of waves which looks awesome. If I were to cut it, I'd thin it out an awful lot, as it is very thick, and curly in random spots, like psycho curls that don't know which way they're going to curl, and I would put in a fringe or a side fringe, not too thick though, and a lot of layers to help with drying. I'd straighten it most days and tie it up for school and work, and leave it out for days at home, and I could pin the fringe up for exercise, and leave it down for going out?
We only go out like once a month, if that! So I don't know.. It's a tie dye of bright red and brown at the moment original.gif

#8 sāta kōrsa

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Shoulder length sounds perfect, especially when you're going to the gym so often and washing it every day.  Good for you for being able to cut it yourself!  I cut my own too, but am not nearly so confident about it.  I really don't know what I'm doing.

Edited by sāta kōrsa, 23 February 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#9 ~Peahen~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Two years ago I cut mine quite short and loved it but the up keep was more than I could handle, it was too short to tie back so always needed styling. Now it's almost bra strap length and i mostly always braid it or tie it back, and as I go to the gym most days I wash it more than I would like to. Mine is on the thin side so does not take forever to dry, still I am tempted to cut it back to the short layered bob (but long enough to be able to tie back ). When mine grew to the stage I could mostly tie it back I used to twist and pin the front back or do fringe braids for the gym, I found it very easy to manage.

I say do it!

#10 TarneeW

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Jim exactly the same OP! My hair is waist length and as much as I'd love to cut it I'm torn. I'm getting older and am saddened by the fact that it'll be the last time I'll have long hair.

I wear it up every single day and get headaches (I'm sure it's from my hair) but it's also my security blanket in a way.... I keep thinking how lovely it looks when I go out and it's done properly (generally straightened by blow drying only - takes too long to straighten properly), but, I never go anywhere....

DH bought me a hair voucher with a number of different salon visits but I think my 'style cut' will probably end up being a trim.

So I say 'go for it', be more adventurous than I am....

#11 Peridot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Argh this is awful... I just went and played with it, and I'm back to square one!

#12 Peridot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I did it oomg.gif

And I'm happy about it at the moment! I will update in a week!

#13 sāta kōrsa

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Well done!  biggrin.gif

#14 For Fox Sake

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

I had thick hair down to my shoulder blades up until last Friday. It was frizzy from being bleached to death, it was boring and I was rockin' a blonde/black regrowth that would give a hooker a run for her money. I looked in the mirror last Friday and said "Christ, not you again.' (Was feeling rather depressed) Went straight to the salon, I now have an awesome undercut/chin length concave bob. It's black with bright purple chunks and is incredibly badass. Haven't gotten used to it being shaved underneath yet though. It's light, thin and awesome.

#15 Feralishous

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Personally I get a restyle everytime I meet a goal (atm its weight loss original.gif )

#16 ShopgirlX

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Yay! Well done, and remember you CAN always grow it back! I have cut my hair for the past 6 or so years too, but I was straightening (very curly hair) every day so it was easier to get away with. Now that I have two bambinos I don't have time for straight hair cry1.gif so I just went and got a hairdresser to chop it all short and cut it properly for the curl and also show me how to style it. You could always treat yourself to a salon cut just once, then maintain it yourself after that.

Love the PP with the purple and undercut! Yay!

#17 ~Peahen~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

wow OP, you don't faff about do you  biggrin.gif  im mega impressed, I lulled over my chop for a good week, and looked at so many pictures,  saving them to my tablet so i was armed for my visit to the hairdresser......mind you even then I had to go back a few days later for some alterations. How handy to be able to do it yourself, if I could cut my own hair it would definitely get cut more often.though, knowing me the inspiration would always come after a bottle of red and.....well, it wouldn't end well.

Im sure your going to llove it, will be so much easier to dry.

#18 Dionysus

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Tea-Rex @ 23/02/2013, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had thick hair down to my shoulder blades up until last Friday. It was frizzy from being bleached to death, it was boring and I was rockin' a blonde/black regrowth that would give a hooker a run for her money. I looked in the mirror last Friday and said "Christ, not you again.' (Was feeling rather depressed) Went straight to the salon, I now have an awesome undercut/chin length concave bob. It's black with bright purple chunks and is incredibly badass. Haven't gotten used to it being shaved underneath yet though. It's light, thin and awesome.

that sounds excellent.  I have a hair appointment later today and am wanting to do something a bit more stylish with my boring dark brown curly long hair.

Though, I have a wedding to go to in 2 weeks, so if I do anything too radical and it looks terrible I will be mortified   LOL

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

well done OP!  I was coming in to say chop it to shoulder length (or an inch or two below shoulder length) and see how you go.

Post a pic!!

#20 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have ear-chin length blonde semi-curls (not tight).  I promised my mother I wouldn't dye my hair for a year to get sponsorship for World's Greatest Shave, an dI can see the date looming.... 3 weeks to go!!

I'm considering getting red under-panels put in so I have colour without regrowth issues.

Tea-Rex, I would LOVE to see what you have, I can't find anything that quite shows what I want on google yet  ninja.gif

#21 Dionysus

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well, I have had my hair coloured a bit darker, with a reddish tint through it

I got a fringe cut

and the back/sides into a medium length concave bob.

Hairdresser straightened it, so it's longer than it will be 'natural', but there was a hell of a lot of hair on the floor when we had finished!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.