Pregnancy with Colitis/Proctitis/Crohns
Anyone have experience with this? Or going through it now?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ~RM~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Im 30 weeks pregnant with my third, and have Colitis/Proctitis.

It has been constant throughout the pregnancy in varying degrees, all much worse than before I fell pregnant.

Im seeing my gastroentaroligist again in about 10 days after another bad flare up, and Im currently on oral steroids and enema steroids, but still experiencing bad symptoms (bleeding/fatigue/nausea/diarhea).

Its crap!

Is there anyone out there who has gone through similar or going through similar now?

Please tell me it will be better after baby is born???????

Edited by ~RM~, 25 February 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#2 Diem

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

~Rm~ I'so sorry to read what you're going through. I have IBD, but I had the opposite issue during pregnancy: could not go for beans; unfortunately it has never been clear tome whether this was pregnancy alone or IBD, but it did resolve shortly after my (now 6 month old) baby was born.  I know the statistics are 1/3 of women do better with IBD during pregnancy, 1/3 experience no change, and 1/3 get worse: probably doesn't help much but you are far from alone. I hope you feel much better after the baby is born; the reduction in pressure on your bowel should relieve some of your symptoms, at least.

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy, and if you really feel rubbish don't be afraid to hassle your gastro!

#3 redmum77

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Different here again, I have IBS and had chronic diarrhea for the first... 5/6 months? Everything was just so much worse and I was sick and lost so much weight, worried about the nutrition for the baby on top of that. Things have calmed down now and my diet has become less extreme. I read that the hormones fluctuating can make it a lot worse, or as pp said, can make it better... Crazy.

Your condition sounds so much more difficult, I would fully expect that things will get better after baby is born. I have found that the extra stimulus to the area alone causes trouble. Belly strapping for example brings on more episodes just because of the crossed over nerves from uterus to bowl. My body doesn't cope well with all the need for more food, overloading my system etc. You aren't alone, feel free to pm if you feel you are, sometimes it's nice to have someone who just knows how draining it all is.

#4 ~RM~

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks so much for the responses original.gif

I was really hoping that the changes in hormones might have caused it to flare up, so to hear you both say that is a comfort. It means things might settle down after the baby is born! God I cant wait to not be pregnant (knowing full well I will have all that comes with a new baby though lol).

Its crap being pregnant and being sick at the same time! Especially in summer AND last trimester lol. Bring on autumn I say.

Ive decided to try gluten free on advice from a natural therapist (my doctor is old school and doesnt believe diet changes affect Inflammatory bowel disease- and google is conflicting on this), but anything that can help right?

Diem- god Im so hopeful hearing you say it resolved shortly after birth, I really hope this is the case for me too. Yes Ive had some bad luck with my doc, who is away, and replacement is in theatre today grrrrr.

Redmum- wow 5-6 months is an awful long time. I had a bad flare up first trimester, then its been manageable in the second, and bang on 29 weeks it got bad again, so hoping its short lived. I feel for you!!!!

#5 TillyTake2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I also have colitis & mine flared in the first 16 weeks & then settled so definitely hormone (possibly also diet). I personally do find that diet makes a difference for me & my gastro agrees. For me dairy is a big culprit during a flare but I find additives & preservatives can bring on a flare (as do NSAIDs for me).

#6 Goggie

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have IBS and mild colitis/bleeding. When I was pregnant I was bad first trimester, ok in second and hugely blocked up and bloated in the third. Sadly for me, the third trimester symptoms carried over after birth and 6 months on I am only now starting to have regular bowel movements. The trauma of pushing and tearing during birth did not help with the recovery either! I have very weak pelvic floor muscles as a result of my IBS as I was constantly straining and birth made it 10 times worse. Sorry:(

QUOTE (~RM~ @ 25/02/2013, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive decided to try gluten free on advice from a natural therapist (my doctor is old school and doesnt believe diet changes affect Inflammatory bowel disease- and google is conflicting on this), but anything that can help right?

Don't underestimate the impact diet has. I cut out all gluten a few years ago and my colitis has calmed right down. Your doctor needs to do some up to date research!

#7 ~RM~

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Tillytake2- dairy seems ok, I think my triggers are wheat, chilli, tomatoes/capsicum (nightshade vegetables). Silly me I was doing really well then had a mexican pizza (omg what WAS I thinking). Yes I kinda wish my gastro was more helpful with the diet stuff, I feel a bit like Im swimmming blind there sad.gif

#8 redmum77

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Diet is Everything for me... I cut out all non soluble fibre, fruit, and spices. Oats are my best friend! Having heaps of carbs, nothing gas procducing (FODMAP diet, not all foods were triggers, def no onion or garlic), and only water to drink finally got my system to calm down. Now I can have some fruits, some nonsoluble fibre if combined with other food properly, and feel remotely normal. Ibs is a functional disorder though, so not sure how relevant this is for ibd.

My step mother has ibd and a few other issues in her intestines... Poor thing. She put me on to oat bread, and fish and rice as an emergency food. Also that having oat cakes (oat biscuits) combined with something else will make them more easily digested. Buffer foods. Oh and that one day something works and then all of a sudden it doesn't and you aren't going mad lol.

After the birth keeping things easily moving is imperative, not hard for me, mist have to avoid hgs moving toooo fast! Use a wad of toilet paper to hold your bits at the front while having a movement - I've done this for years, it protects your pelvic floor. Stacks of water, like.. 3ltrs, or fibre doesn't work at all. Im going to start taking mint tablets as soon as I'm allowed too.

#9 Coconutty

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Removed

Edited by Coconutty, 26 May 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#10 ~RM~

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Wow Rissles! That sounds incredibly painful, Im so glad to hear its under control now. Very best of luck with the move, I can imagine how you must be feeling. SO glad to hear you are doing well, and good luck for the next trimester! Home stretch now!

Redmum- yes I need to work out my triggers and get the diet thing sorted for sure. This week Ive gone gluten free and now dairy free after seeing the gastro yesterday. WHen I had my colonoscopy last time I tested fine for wheat and dairy, but he has asked for another stool sample to check and see if thats changed since then.

yyes.gif Goggie I agree!!!! Im seeing a kineaseologist also and she is helping me identify my food triggers and make some diet changes.

Im still feeling pretty rotten. I saw my gastro yesterday, but I have been unable to retain my enemas and so feel completely fatigued and exhausted all day when that happens (3 out of 4 days). Im spending most of the day in bed and its driving me batty. Even though I have diarrhea, I have still somehow managed to get a huge hemmahroid which is adding to my discomfort. He gave me a foam to insert to help control my urge to go, which yesterday definitely helped, but until I can starte retaining my enemas again I know I wil still be bedridden sad.gif

Its a comfort to see others out there have coped and managed through this, I really appreciate all the replies, I honestly wasnt expecting anyone to reply!

#11 redmum77

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Rm you poor thing stuck in bed! Thank goodness for eb lol. I had to reply to say that yes - how on earth did I get a hemmarroid when I ibs that is mostly diarrhea dominated?!?! I think it's just the extra blood in our bodies and weak veins in the area or something. I have had the vulval varicosities for two pregnancies, so it's just the same thing but backwards a bit really, joy. Mine actually seems a lot better now now hopefully yours will go down again too. I try to remember that all of this is temporary and I get a baby out of it.... Even though I know I will always have it I can at least take more remedies when not preg etc!

#12 ~RM~

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I know, of all the things lol.

I meant to ask before Redmum, what are the mint tablets for?

I spent last night googling home remedies for hemmahroids that are safe for pregnancy, dont laugh but I tried a concoction of crushed garlic, hemmahroid cream, and vicks vapo rub (I know). Didi it help? No, I just smelled like garlic!

Salt baths seem to be really helping.

#13 redmum77

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Ow! Vaporub...! Good to try though lol. The mint tablets are to calm the gut, peppermint oil is supposed to stop the spasms. But I don't know how it works with IBD if at all. You can't have it while pregnant because it that area relaxes too much they think it can make you miscarry.

Maybe try witch hazel - I've had a lot of luck with putting witch hazel (from the chemist, distilled) on a cotton ball or pad and just putting it on the area for a while, or there with a pad on. It's really really made mine go down and lasts a lot longer than an ice pack. I wouldn't put it on any open wounds, so not on grazes or tears after labour, or fissures that are even partly external. Might sting a lot!

#14 ~RM~

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Redmum, yes thats on my list today if I can drag myself out of bed......

#15 bec_1108

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi RM! I have Crohn's disease and am currently 11 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed when I was 11 years old, so have lived with it most of my life. I was on steroids for 10 + years, and the only thing that got me off them and into remission was surgery 5 years ago. I had a sub-total colectomy and ileo-rectal anastomosis. So basically, most of my large bowel is gone and the small intestine is hooked up to what is left.

Despite being medication-free and in remission for 5 years, I have noticed some symptoms of a flare lurking since I fell pregnant. I have been passing mucous, where I have not had that symptoms for more than 10 years. All my inflammatory markers in my blood tests are fine though, and my doctor doesn't want to introduce any medications at this stage.

My gastroenterologist said that during pregnancy, about a third of women will get better, a third will get worse, and a third will stay the same. I think the hormones after giving birth can have a similar effect, i.e. some get better, some get worse.

I also saw a kinesiologist many years ago, and she identified that wheat was a trigger for me. I've been avoiding wheat for nearly 15 years, and find it helps. Other things that upset me are onions (I cook with leeks instead), and pre-packaged sauces with a lot of preservatives. But I know I can eat a lot of things that most people can't.

Anyway, hope things improve for you soon. I know how much it sucks!!!!

#16 ~RM~

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

oh wow bec what a journey! I also saw a kinesiologist who identified wheat and nightshade vegetables as my triggers. Hope you can stay symptom free for your pregnancy, sounds like if you have gotten to 11 weeks with only mild flare symptoms you might be in luck, after so long in remission that would be awful!

Question for those who have gone through this and had baby, were you on medication when baby came? DId you wean before your due date? Im currently on 25mg prednisone (panafcort) daily, and dr google says its not suitable for breastfeeding.....I have another appt with my gastro on monday so will discuss it with him, but bloody hell I have no intention of not breastfeeding!!!!!!!! WOuld love to hear how you have dealt with this one...

#17 whistlebone

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hi RM

Im not pregnant but TTC in the next month or so with out #2. During my #1 I didnt have any symptoms after being in remission since my surgery in 2006 which was 5.5years previously, however it turned out after giving birth that I did flare up during my pregnancy and tore a hole in everything was leaking into my abdomen!

I dont have any tips but id love to touch base with other who have crohns and had babies or those who have ileostomies and had babies!

Im a little nervous as since having my first boy (and only so far) and the damage he did during pregnancy, I had to have emergency surgery and more bowel cut out only 12mths ago! Im hoping to also avoid any flare ups second time round!

Good luck for you too!

#18 TillyTake2

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

I have colitis/atypical chrones & am also 30 weeks pregnant. I've been having a flare for the last fortnight. I do remember a similar thing last pregnancy but I think it was a bit later. It was also bad around 8-12 weeks & then I had a good patch.

Last pregnancy it was actually pretty good post birth so there is definately hope!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.