Bleeding, cramping but strong BFP? UPDATED post 11

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Three Of Hearts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

So today I am 7dp5dt.  Around 10am I felt a 'gush' and when I went to the loo discovered some pinky/brown blood.  I also started to cramp (like real AF type cramping).

I decided to call my clinic and spoke to the on call nurse.  She said it sounded like it was all over and to 'surround myself with supportive people' and my nurse would call me on Wednesday after my BT to discuss my next cycle.

I felt really guttered.  I wasn't expecting any bleeding and was gearing myself up for Wednesdays blood test!  So I decided to go home (was struggling to compose myself at our shop) and POAS.  That way I could sit and cry at it and get it out of my system.

BUT the test came up with a very strong positive straight away.  And it was with VERY diluted pee (had drunk a litre of water and pee'd 4 times!).

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?  Did it end well?  I'm still getting some brownish watery spotting but I think it may be calming down.  It was enough to come out onto a pad this morning though.  I took some panadol for the cramping because it was making me feel more sad so not sure if thats calmed down or if its just the panadol.

Edited by Allie_D, 24 February 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#2 Jessie_T

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I couldn't read and not comment. I have absolutely no idea..... But it sounds positive that you got two lines.

Good luck allie and I really hope it's a positive outcome for you xoxoxoxo

#3 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hi Allie_D
Congrats on your positive test, and sorry for what you are going through... it's tough.

I wouldn't give up just yet, in my opinion it's never over until that blood test (and of course further testing to see doubling etc). As tough as it is just hang in there.

I also had minor bleeding with my pregnancy last year, it was a threatened miscarraige and thankfully for DH and I our DS made it to us safe and sound last October.

All the best to you, take care.

Edited to add!  Allie, are you any support post transfer?  Pessaries, meds etc?  Your FS may be able to offer you some or more.. depending on your P4 levels (Progesterone) sometimes dropping P4  can lead to spotting/bleeding.

Edited by Pilar Palabundar, 23 February 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#4 aidensmum

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hi Allie,
Sounds like implantation happened.  I hope that it sticks for you and the bleeding stops.  The bleeding is not good, but sometimes bad starts come good, and sometimes good starts go bad.  This whole pg/fertility thing is infuriating, especially as parts of it are out of our control.

I've had an IVF pg stick thru a full period (5 days heavy bleeding, clots etc), 4 weeks of HCG levels all indicated it was not expected to continue, then it measured small for dates at scan. It all came good eventually and I had to go to surgery after delivery as the placenta wouldn't budge. I like to think its because it buried in so deep when it implanted, which is how it stuck in those early weeks.

I have also had two positives that went bad at 5 weeks.

Adele

#5 hopelessromantic

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Allie_D

I am going to add my reply here rather than the buddy group cause I feel funny talking about my previous pg and upsetting someone.
My previous pg was natural and very unmedicated so difficult to compare, but I woke up one morning just after my pregnancy test to find redy brown spotting. I put it in that order because it was more red than brown and also a heavy feeling in my lower stomach.

My DH raced me into my GP and he sent me to bed for three days in case of miscarriage.  The spotting lasted the best part of a day and the obstetrician later told me it was likely implantation bleeding.  I didn't know anything about anything than.  But have read since than that it is not uncommon.  

A strong hpt+ is what it is.  Maybe just take it easy for a little bit and don't panic. I am feeling very hopeful for your BT on wednesday hands.gif

#6 Ness75

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Oh Allie Im sorry its working out like this for you. Its definitely not over yet though. Hopefully with a positive test like that it will turn out to be implantation.
Besides with all the crinone support surely a period couldn't break through just yet.

Edited by NFP, 23 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Three Of Hearts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks everyone for your stories/well wishes.  Such an emotional time!  Actually such an emotional month!!

QUOTE (Pilar Palabundar @ 23/02/2013, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allie, are you any support post transfer?  Pessaries, meds etc?  Your FS may be able to offer you some or more.. depending on your P4 levels (Progesterone) sometimes dropping P4  can lead to spotting/bleeding.

Yes I'm on Crinone.  That was one of the reasons I decided to call the nurse.  I thought she might have said to step up to 2 a day incase it was low progesterone or something.  But she didn't ask a single question, just started talking about the next cycle.  I thought she would have asked lots of questions first!

QUOTE (NFP @ 23/02/2013, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides with all the crinone support surely a period couldn't break through just yet.

I didn't think so, but I do remember the nurse saying that you have to have the BT done even if you're fully bleeding, so I guess it does happen for some.

I will call and speak to my nurse on Monday morning and see what she says.

#8 jules095

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 23/02/2013, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't think so, but I do remember the nurse saying that you have to have the BT done even if you're fully bleeding, so I guess it does happen for some.
You also need a BT, in case it's an ectopic.

Hopefully it's just an implantation bleed. Good Luck.

#9 Three Of Hearts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

I thought it was slowing but just had more red sad.gif

#10 josh2003

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

*** child mentioned ***

Hi Allie_D, I had a very similar thing happen in both of my IVF pregnancies. With the first pregnancy (my first IVF cycle), the nurse at the clinic told me to stop taking crinone after my positive BT, even though the lab had forgotten to test my P4 levels. I unfortunately listened to the nurse and a few days later, had an awful MC (TMI warning - as in it was very sudden and more like I was hemorrhaging). The hospital did a BT and even though my HCG had risen beautifully, my FS said my P4 must have been too low.. I just got really angry with my clinic after writing that all down!!!

I had to do another 5 stim cycles to get another BFP, and this time I started bleeding before my BT. I had already done a HPT, and I knew I was pregnant, so I decided to dose myself up on crinone and pessaries until my BT the next day. Sure enough, my BT showed that even after all the extra crinone and pessaries, my P4 was only 18. My FS told me to take crinone, plus 4 x 400mg pessaries, and this still only bought my levels up to the low 20s.

I continued bleeding quite heavily for a few weeks, so my FS then gave me gestone injections and estrogen tablets which, thankfully raised my levels enough to sustain the pregnancy.

So, if I were you, I'd be upping the crinone until you have checked your P4 levels. After all, you can't really overdose on progesterone, so it won't do any harm. And I know some drs don't believe in artificially topping up with P4 because they believe there must be something wrong with the embryo, I assure you there is nothing wrong with my son! It was simply my body not producing enough of a hormone, possibly due to the fact that it was an IVF pregnancy.

Good luck... I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

#11 Three Of Hearts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

So after talking to a nurse this morning she advised me to go to the hospital and get my levels checked.  The Dr said none of them really knew anything about IVF so I explained that I was worried my progesterone was low.

So after being there for 4.5 hours I find out that he only tested for HCG levels ddoh.gif

HCG came back at 66.  Not sure if thats good, bad or indifferent.

#12 146 Lucina

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Allie, - Ahg, I really dislike GP's/emergency wards, they just don't seem to listen to you...
Anyway, I don't think that's too bad for 13DPO. Just did some rough math, and that would add up to a hCG of 198 on wednesday, based on a 48hr doubling rate.
I agree with josh. It certainly won't hurt to increase your dose of progesterone ATM. Good luck hon. I'm crossing everything for you.  hands.gif

Luci...

#13 Ness75

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

[quote name='Allie_D' date='24/02/2013, 03:53 PM' post='15352481'

So after being there for 4.5 hours I find out that he only tested for HCG levels ddoh.gif

[/quote]

That doctor needs a bloody good slap!!

#14 jules095

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 24/02/2013, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At 8dp5dt, that level is on the lower side, but it's the doubling time that counts.

Call your FC in the morning & see what they say.

#15 Three Of Hearts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (146 Lucina @ 24/02/2013, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allie, - Ahg, I really dislike GP's/emergency wards, they just don't seem to listen to you...

I know!  After basically asking me what he could do for me because he 'wasn't sure what to do with an IVF patient' I could have fallen off the chair bed thingy when he said he'd only tested the HCG!!

He did say if I wasn't an IVF patient he'd tell me that 66 is a perfectly good level, but wasn't sure!! LOL!!

QUOTE (NFP @ 24/02/2013, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doctor needs a bloody good slap!!

He had an excuse... he said he was new ddoh.gif  roll2.gif

#16 aidensmum

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hi Allie,
It's good that you now have something to compare your level to at your next BT. One on its own never gives much info. For what it's worth, my clinic doesn't test for progesterone levels. Have discussed numerous times, and they always convince me to stop worrying.

#17 dimensionk

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

HCG looks about right going by www.betabase.info (self reported median at 13dpo is 63)
Good luck!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Boxergirl

Abbott's childcare changes will 'reduce access and add complexity'

The government's childcare assistance package threatens to confuse and intimidate many parents, experts say.

Be careful what you wish for

Remember that chubby little baby who rocked on all fours? Remember how you wished he would start to crawl? Then remember how you felt once he did?

William Tyrrell's parents plead for information as anniversary looms

As the one-year anniversary of William Tyrrell's disappearance draws near, the missing four-year-old's parents have again pleaded with the public for information that could help bring their son home.

Family sleepovers: a tribute to my 1970s childhood

My memories of those nights in my childhood are all about fun: sleepover excitement, staying up late, watching movies we probably weren't supposed to watch ... freedom.

43 minutes of terror: family's agonising wait for ambulance for toddler

It was terrifying. As the minutes ticked by little Cooper Harrison's parents felt more and more frantic.

What not to say to a new mum

Some phrases just pop out before you really think about them, but there are some things you should try to not say to a new mum.

Mummydesking: the new hotdesking

It is a paradise that only working parents of small children can understand: a place to sit for three hours without any interruptions while someone looks after the kids.

Charlize Theron adopts baby girl

A few months after splitting from Sean Penn, the actress Charlize Theron has adopted a baby girl.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg shares painful truth behind wife's pregnancy

Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg has shared a brutally honest truth about pregnancy in the hope it will help others through dark periods.  

Sugary drinks blamed for removal of toddlers' rotten teeth

Children as young as 18 months are having multiple rotten teeth pulled out as parents feed toddlers soft drinks through sipper bottles, and chocolate biscuits and Milo as bedtime treats.

Mum accidentally fake tans baby

Many of us have fallen foul of a bad fake tan or two, but this little guy's started a bit earlier than most.

Does this three-month-old say 'I love you'?

YouTube user Ted Moskalenko was filmed by his wife, Michelle, as his baby son, Ben, engaged in some baby chat.

Kids break out of daycare centre, cross busy highway

Two children broke out of an early childhood centre and wandered across a four-lane road.

Why I'm glad to be an indulgent granny

The phone calls started a couple of weeks ago. At about 5.30 each evening - if I am lucky - I will be greeted by a sweet, excited voice declaring: "'Allo Annie".

Newborn found in toilet at German airport

A newborn baby found abandoned and extremely ill in a bathroom in the Munich airport is doing well.

Is this the worst relationship advice ever published?

You sometimes have to wonder whether relationship/sex advice from magazines is designed to help or humiliate.

How you talk to your baby now can impact social skills later

People used to think that social skills were something kids were born with, not taught.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Scientists predict when you should start a family

Scientists have calculated at exactly what age you need to start trying to get pregnant to have the best chance of realising your dream. 

Differently abled child

When 'protecting' a child is really a cover for judgement

Why are people so concerned for this happy child and his mother?

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

When toddlers have strange obsessions

When it comes to two-year-olds and birthday cakes there are a few requests that are usually at the top of the list. But a cake featuring a local personal injury lawyer?

When Mama Bear strikes

When we become mums, our instinct to protect our children and keep them safe from harm is so strong we're often likened to a Mama Bear protecting her cubs.  

Immunity boosters for kids

There are no guaranteed ways to avoid the dreaded winter illnesses completely, but there are ways we can boost our children's immunity.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Mum shares portrait of her proudly breastfeeding three-year-old

Jade Beall usually chooses to breastfeed her son, now 3, in private. This week, however, she shared portraits of her breastfeeding her preschooler.

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.