Another baby jogger city mini question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ~kacee~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm wanting a good compromise between our large and heavy mountain buggy, and our lighter, but more flimsy maclaren quest.

For anyone who has a baby jogger city mini or city mini XT, have you still found that you need a more compact stroller, or is the mini small enough to take everywhere (shopping etc).

Also, has anyone used it for public transport, crowded places etc, and is it as useful as an umbrella stroller?

#2 elizabethany

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have a city mini, and it is a really good "all around" stroller.  I do also have a umbrella stroller, which mainly lives at my parents house, but it is useful if we are going on holidays and have limited space in the car.

I went to the Canberra show yeaterday, and had no problems with the bigger stroller.  I could easily do without the umbrella, but I picked it up on a day were were in the shops without the stroller and DS had a meltdown because he was too tired.

#3 indigo~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I have the city mini GT and find it fine to use around the shops. In fact, I'm often surprised how nimble it is, steering effortlessly around tight shop displays. I love being able to steer it easily one handed too.

It's heavier than the city mini by about 2kg I think, but I have gotten used to getting it in and out of the boot.

I haven't used it on public transport yet though.

#4 ~kacee~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks both for your replies. I don't want to buy one, then end up still using the quest! DH would be very unhappy wink.gif

Love to hear from others who have a city mini / GT! Ta!

#5 tibs

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I've just ordered one as an inbetween - I have a strider and a quest.  It hasn't arrived yet but I'm hoping it works out too  biggrin.gif

#6 ~kacee~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Le me know how it goes, Tibs original.gif

#7 chickenpants

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I've never had an issue with my BJCM in and around the shops - I tend to avoid those really cluttered, tiny aisled ones though.  But then, I don't go into them even sans baby because I know I'd knock something over, being the clumsy oaf that I am.

They are very easy to steer with a small turning circle and I've used it on both buses and trains with no issue.  They are light enough too, plus the one handed fold (which OMG LOVE! btw), so if you do need to fold it up for space reasons it's easy.

The only problem I have is that buses don't really have good pram/disabled parking areas, I don't even know how people with wheelchairs get by on buses, the spaces are teensy.

#8 ZCE

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I have a city mini. I use it everywhere. I do own an umbrella stroller but it only gets used for trips where i want all of the boot for groceries etc and the umbrella just sits in the boot as a backup if we change plans or DD becomes restless.

It's my walking pram, my shopping pram, my markets pram. It's a fabulous pram i've found. We mainly bought it because DH is disabled and can't lift heavy things. He can put this in and out of our boot without too much trouble. I love that i can have DD on my hip and either pull the pram out or put it in with my spare hand.

#9 Ally'smum

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I have one and I think it is more of a stroller than a pram, you would never need a stroller.

I still use the mountain buggy for big walks because I find the handles more comfortable, but for everything else it is the city mini.

#10 wannabe30

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have one, and have never seen the need for another stroller. I take it everywhere and have never had any problems, including taking DS to daycare every day on the train.

#11 nen-c

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've a City Mini. It was my only pram for my 1st baby, i had no need for anything smaller, or larger. I now have a MBU double too, which i use for walking only as it doesn't fit easy in the car. DS is approaching  3 and improving in stamina all the time so I'm hoping to go back to using the city mini all the time for DD as it is such a fab pram.

#12 Mootmoot

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I have had the BJCM for about 5 months and haven't yet seen the need for an umbrella stroller.  Like others I find the steering so light and easy.  It's great shopping and I find it fine in crowded places.

I have no issues with it on the train, but have taken it on the tram a couple of times and it hasn't been brilliant.  Although the fold and lightweight are great for getting in and out of the car boot, it's a bit awkward to get on and off the tram on my own (carrying DS and the nappy bag too) and awkward to have on the tram - there hasn't been enough room to then unfold it and I haven't found a good way to hold it/ prop it up when it's closed.

#13 nen-c

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

DP

Edited by nen-c, 23 February 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#14 lady lady

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I had a BJCM with DD#1 and sold it thinking I wouldn't need it.  

Regretted selling it ...

BUT ... I have just ordered a Valco Snap which is cheaper and lighter than a BJCM.  It arrives this week so I will let you know!!! Check out the babygizmo review to see what it looks like.

The one thing that bugged me with the BJCM is the that DD "slung" in the seat she never looked comfortable and that the basket was annoying to get to but the BJCM is still a great stroller.

#15 tibs

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (lady lady @ 24/02/2013, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a BJCM with DD#1 and sold it thinking I wouldn't need it.  

Regretted selling it ...

BUT ... I have just ordered a Valco Snap which is cheaper and lighter than a BJCM.  It arrives this week so I will let you know!!! Check out the babygizmo review to see what it looks like.

The one thing that bugged me with the BJCM is the that DD "slung" in the seat she never looked comfortable and that the basket was annoying to get to but the BJCM is still a great stroller.

I think they fixed the way the seat "slung" in the 2012 model. They also changed the access to the basket by scooping the bar down so I guess you weren't the only one with those issues original.gif

#16 ~kacee~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for all of your replies! I appreciate the feedback.

Ladylady, definitely tell me how you find the Valco original.gif

#17 lady lady

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (tibs @ 24/02/2013, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they fixed the way the seat "slung" in the 2012 model. They also changed the access to the basket by scooping the bar down so I guess you weren't the only one with those issues original.gif

Good to hear!!  They truly (IMO) are a well built pram/ stroller.  I am very in-love with the Versa as well!!!

Will let you know ~kacee~ original.gif

#18 chickenpants

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (lady lady @ 24/02/2013, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The seat is a lot more sturdy in the 2012 model, I did look at that before ordering mine.  The bar for the basket access is a lot lower than the previous models too, I've seen others when out and about and thank my lucky stars that I got the newer model.

Though sometimes I still find it hard to shove stuff in there, but that's more because I try to throw a whole backpack or full grocery bag in, while the boy is in the seat snoozing.  If needs be, I just access it from the side because the tops of the basket are elasticised so it's easy to pull it open/out to put larger items in.

#19 purple_daisy

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have a city mini and there is no need for any other stroller. It is solid enough to walk over grass/the kerb to the local play equipment.
It is light enough that I would never need an umbrella stroller.
It is so agile and small that I have fit through every doorway, check out, and shopping aisle to date - including our squishy local corner shop aisles which are the tightest I have ever seen (eg would not fit two trolleys next to each other, but the city mini is thinner than a standard trolley).
I have taken DD on public transport in the pram (buses) and it fits easily in the centre aisle of the bus, and due to folding so compactly I can quickly fold it and put in the luggage section or next to me in the disabled/parents seat.

The only downside is that there isn't the best access into the basket underneath but we just leave one of the side clips undone (that hold the basket in place) and that gives us ample room to get in and out from the side. It actually is quite a big basket, we've put in two sets of cot sheets with a bag of groceries in there before.

Love this pram and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is breaking my heart that I have to get a new pram to accomodate #2 in a few months as nothing in the shops lives up to the city mini (am looking at getting a city mini double as a result!).

#20 ~kacee~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Wow, great reviews original.gif Seems to be the pram to get!

#21 elle-M

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I bought a city mini to replace my Maclaren vogue. I find the CM is more versatile and has a MUCH bigger sun shade which is important to me because it's the pram that lives in my car and I often pull it out at the park etc. Yes, it's bigger, but I've never had any problems in shopping centres.

I then have a few other prams as well, including large wheeled walking prams.

I'm not selling my Maclaren though, I'm going to keep it for travel, it's very handy to have!

#22 ~kacee~

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well, I bought one! Mini GT in red wub.gif. I pick it up tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.