Silly Question No 1 Difference between Midwife and Doula
Difference between Midwife and Doula

8 replies to this topic

#1 shellsparkles

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hello all.  I'm here to ask stupid questions about pregnancy.

I have barely lifted a child in my life time (scared of breaking them) and now I am having one of my own.

I am clueless and my female mentors (mum and grans) are on the other side of the world!

So my first question is whats the difference between Doula and midwife?

#2 Missy Shelby

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

From what I understand doula's do not necessarily have medical training where as midwives do.

Doula's provide a supportive and caring role (like midwives) but they will come to your house and visit you and try to build a very close relationship so you have a high level of trust in place when it comes to the birth.

Edited by Missy Shelby, 23 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#3 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Midwife is a fully trained medical professional who will look after you during pregnancy, birth and post pregnancy.

Doula is a support person who may or may not have done training who supports you during labour - they have no medical training as such, but will 'hold your hand', assist you emotionally and perhaps physically during the labour and for a time afterwards.

I went through public hospital for birth and although the midwives did their job, I didn't feel supported (DP, although great, was as clueless as me). Next time I would love to have a doula, for support, to give DP a break and to advocate for me if I can't.

Congrats on your pregnancy biggrin.gif

#4 shellsparkles

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

THank you both for your answers original.gif

Hmm okay original.gif My other half is a very private man and a little too protective of me at times.  I doubt he would let anyone else near me during the birth except trained medical people- even then he is skeptical of them!

I know he will faint or something... I prob should have someone else with me...

Something more we have to talk about then!!!! I love this so much new stuff to learn about!

#5 Milamum09

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

I agree with the above. Also, I guess you could say a doula is your advocate in a way if you find it difficult holding your own with medical staff, they can express your preferences and ask any questions et for you.

#6 Melissam12

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

They're both very different and have different roles.

A midwife is a qualified health practitioner (as with a doctor) and is the primary care provider for pregnant, birthing and postnatal women.  Doulas are trained support people.

Both midwives and doulas provide emotional and physical support to women in labour and birth, and work with labouring women to suggest position changes and provide emotional support.

Midwives are registered health professionals with a university degree and they are recognised by legislation.  The doula industry is not regulated and formal qualifications are not required.  There are no formal standards of practice or registration for doulas.

Midwives are educated in skills such as newborn resuscitation and care of the pregnant, birthing and postnatal woman - including knowledge of how to keep pregnancy and birth normal.  Midwives are also educated to know when medical care is necessary, and they can execute emergency measures while waiting for medical care to arrive.

Midwives offer qualified advice and clinical care, whereas doulas cannot advise or comment on clinical practices and cannot provide clinical care such as listening to the baby's heart rate, checking blood pressure etc.

While women may engage a doula's services for additional support, a midwife or obstetrician will always be needed to provide the actual care.

#7 shellsparkles

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thanks so much everyone. This thread has been very helpful original.gif

#8 lucky 2

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Definition of a Doula
The professional Doula is the ultimate birth companion for the birthing woman and her partner. The Doula is extremely successful in providing for the best birth outcomes possible. Part of their success story lies not only in women’s increased feelings of satisfaction during the birth of their babies but also in the reduction in the need for pain relief and interventions.

Doulas DO NOT provide medical, nursing or any midwifery care, nor do they comment on, interpret or judge this care. The doula provides three types of support:

- General informational support
- Emotional support
- Physical support

Doulas focus on the experience of birth for the mother, her partner and the new baby. Their aim is to enhance the birth process and they are equipped with the knowledge and strategies that pave the way for the best birth experience possible.

Babies' fathers love having a Doula to work throughout the labour because they remove the stress factor and enhance their support techniques. Plus the Doula has met with the couple throughout the pregnancy and knows exactly what they want for the birth.

Research shows that as a result of a Doula at the birth there is,
- 50% reduction on caesarean rates.
- 25% shorter labour.
- 60% reduction in epidural requests.
- 40% reduction in syntocinon use.
- 30% reduction in analgesia use.
- 40% reduction in forceps delivery.

Reference, Klaus, Kennell and Klaus 1993

Thanks to ~melliefive~ for providing the above information.

Definition of a Midwife
"A midwife is a person who, having been regularly admitted to a midwifery educational programme duly recognised in the country in which it is located, has successfully completed the prescribed course of studies in midwifery and has acquired the requisite qualifications to be registered and/or legally licensed to practise midwifery.

"The midwife is recognised as a responsible and accountable professional who works in partnership with women to give the necessary support, care and advice to during pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period, to conduct births on the midwife’s own responsibility and to provide care for the newborn and the infant. This care includes preventative measures, the promotion of normal birth, the detection of complications in the mother and child, the accessing of medical care or other appropriate assistance when necessary and the carrying out of emergency measures when necessary.
The midwife has an important task in health counselling and education, not only for the woman but also within the family and the community. The work should involve antenatal
education and preparation for parenthood and may extend to women’s health, sexual or reproductive health and child care.

"A midwife may practise in any setting including the home, community, hospitals, clinics, or health units."

The International Definition of a Midwife, as accepted by the International Confederation of Midwives, the International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, the World Health Organisation and the Australian College of Midwives.

I've taken this from a pinned topic in this forum, the information about a MW was written by pp Melissam12.

eta, the Doula information does read a bit like an advert (the first part anyway) whilst the MW information is standard throughout the world.
I "think" the doula role is formalisation of the traditional birth attendant role. Please forgive me doulas if I have that wrong original.gif .
The 2 roles can work very well together in an ideal world.

#9 Melissam12

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 23/02/2013, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eta, the Doula information does read a bit like an advert (the first part anyway) whilst the MW information is standard throughout the world.
I "think" the doula role is formalisation of the traditional birth attendant role. Please forgive me doulas if I have that wrong original.gif .
The 2 roles can work very well together in an ideal world.

cclap.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.