Garlic oil to treat ear infection
Has anybody heard of used this method?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 mum2jp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi i was just doing some research on natural ways to treat an ear infection without having to use prescription antibiotics and i came across this. It said garlic oil (which can be purchased from the health food store) will clear up an ear infection as it has natural antibiotic properties. 2 drops in the affected ear a few times a day apparently.

WDYT? has anybody used this or any other natural therapies to treat ear infection.

Disclaimer: Not after medical advice just experinces *I will check with my gp it is safe before i stick anything in his ears*

#2 Princess Leila

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

We only ever use garlic oil to treat ear pain and ear infections.  

I buy the garlic oil capsules from the chemist, pierce with a clean needle (sewing) and squirt 1 - 2 capsules into the ear. Put some cotton wool into the ear to help keep the oil in.

Only downside....it stinks...

#3 neddyteddy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I do this. I tell my DD that the fairies in her ears need a drink... original.gif    I also mix about 8 drops of garlic oil with olive oil and balsamic vinegar on a spoon and she drinks it. She requests garlic...weirdo original.gif

Our GP is all for the garlic oil in her ears.

#4 Weavile

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

DH has used garlic oil to treat a recurrent ear infection after he started to have stomach issues from lots of antibiotics.

It worked for him.

#5 Agnetha

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

I tried it when I was 38 weeks pregnant, cooked it up myself under instructions from naturopath. It gave me some relief for the first day but then nil, ended up at gp for antibiotics. I fell apart in general that week.  
I can't remember what quantities I cooked up but it smelt beautiful and did feel very soothing in the ear.

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Might depend what part of the ear the infection is in - I presume inner ear infection would be past the point that liquids could get to, but maybe middle ear ones would be accessible by the oil?

#7 Crap Napper

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

If you do go for a ready made one from the health food shop, try to get garlic and mullein oil, it works much better than garlic alone. It is also more effective if you use a warm compress over the ear at the same time .

#8 shatavari

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yes, have tried it, it worked.

No products from the store necessary. I pressed a garlic glove and extracted a drop of juice. I mixed this with a few drops of olive oil (I would've use cocnut oil if I had it). I dropped 1 drop only into the aching ear. Lie with affected side up. Place a warm compress (eg. face washer) on ear and rest for 15 minutes.

I was struck with the sudden ear pain at 10pm...so there was no option to go to the store anyway. It took about 10 minutes to relieve the intense pain. I didn't need to treat it further after that. It was an interesting experience as I had learnt this method in college but never tried it out on myself. I was thrilled as the pain was really quite sharp and I don't think I would've got to sleep that night otherwise.

#9 smudgiekiss

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

I use Hydrogen peroxide.  Have never tried garlic oil but will keep it in mind should I ever have no peroxide.

#10 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

Peroxide is a shocking suggestion.

#11 smudgiekiss

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Why?  FeralProudSwahili  Would you like to elaborate?

#12 red_squirrel

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Whilst natural therapies can be great for lots of things.
Ear infections are extremely painful. Extremely painful and then some.
There is also a time and a place for antibiotics.

#13 DEVOCEAN

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

I am glad you said you would check with the GP first.

We have only ever had one really bad ear infection here, and that was DD(now 20) when she caught a really bad staph infection in her elbow. It caused a lot of problems that she kept hidden until she got too bad at school.
Why?   Because she loved going to school to play sport.

#14 Mothersjoy

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

Hi we cannot get to a health shop. Is it ok to use any garlic capsule from Chemist Warehouse to use the contents?

#15 Riotproof

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

No. Go to your gp.

#16 *Spikey*

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

If the problem is a build up of hard wax, then any oil will do. That's because the oil will soften the wax, reducing the pressure and the pain caused by the pressure (and the wax can get out of the ear). You can get softening earwax products from the chemist.

If it is an infection, with a bulging eardrum, don't put stuff down there - you need antibiotics asap, or your child may end up with a perforated ear drum. Extra pressure from random substances will not help, and if it perforates, you will cause your child major issues as non-sterile material moves into the ear canal where it doesn't belong.

So no, don't use a capsule. See a doctor.

#17 Chelli

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

As someone who currently has an infected and blocked ear - don't muck around with it, go straight to a GP.

Also closing this thread as it's from 2014, so a little confusing :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.