How long for landlord to fix door lock?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I have what I think is a slack landlord.  We have been here for 6 years, and the very few times I have had to call her for maintenance issues she has taking ages (sometimes months and after many phone calls) to rectify the problems)
Anyway 2 days ago the lock on the back screen door stopped working.  The little latch thing just seized up and refused to move to lock the door, so the door will not lock.  I informed the landlord straight away, and she said that she would get someone out when she could.  I mentioned that I thought that this was a security issue, hence needing it fixed asap.  (The back door is a glass sliding door, and would not be hard to force open)
How long do you think is reasonable to fix this problem?

#2 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

A screen door is not an emergency, so probably a week or two max. Stick a piece of dowel in the door in the meantime if you are concerned

#3 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I am also confused why it is a security issue.  The glass door sound as though it is the real locking door. A screen door with a simple latch is not a security door (the way you describe it).

#4 Illiterati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Screen door? Within a week or two?

#5 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (SlowEmotionReplay @ 22/02/2013, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Screen door? Within a week or two?

I'm just going by how long it took to get ours fixed (and ours locked, it just seized up and was very difficult to open). For non emergency repairs, we have waited a maximum of two weeks.

#6 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

A couple of weeks. But they may not have to fix it as technically the screen still serves it purpose to screen the bugs, it just doesnt lock. And screen doors are not something you have to have on a rental.

#7 madmax1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

For the same thing I waited for 3 days. I told them my insurance was invalid without a secure door (~which  it is) We also do not have keys to lock the glass doors only the screen doors so for us it was a security issue. The locksmith said the lock was so old he was amazed it had lasted so long as it was.

#8 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

TBH I'd just google how to fix that myself & if it didn't work I'd organize something myself, it's not an urgent repair like a hot water system so something small like that I'd do myself.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Locks on doors and windows are a security issue. If the glass door doesn't key locked, then it is an urgent repair and should be done within 24-48 hours.

I'd be phoning a locksmith so you know how much its going to cost. If your LL is that slack, I'd probably just do it (organise the locksmith) myself, and send them the bill.

Do you have a property manager, or are you directly letting from the LL?

#10 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 22/02/2013, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Locks on doors and windows are a security issue. If the glass door doesn't key locked, then it is an urgent repair and should be done within 24-48 hours.

I'd be phoning a locksmith so you know how much its going to cost. If your LL is that slack, I'd probably just do it (organise the locksmith) myself, and send them the bill.

Do you have a property manager, or are you directly letting from the LL?

Her door locks, it's her security screen that doesn't. Considering it isn't a standard rental item, I don't see how it is urgent :/

#11 Mischief Managed

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hopefully it's done asap and your contents insurance isn't affected.

We had a back door without a lock on a property when we moved in (first house out of home); called the agent and they said they'd get someone to look in on it; we couldn't get contents insurance without it.

Came home from work the next day and our house had been robbed.  The only things that hadn't been taken were our bed our couch and the fish tank.

#12 Smoo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

this is for nsw but other states should have similar

Urgent repairs
The law distinguishes between urgent (emergency) repairs and those which are not so urgent. Urgent repairs are:

a burst water service or a serious water service leak
a blocked or broken toilet
a serious roof leak
a gas leak
a dangerous electrical fault
flooding or serious flood damage
serious storm or fire damage
a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
a failure or breakdown of the hot water service
a failure or breakdown of the stove or oven
a failure or breakdown of a heater or air-conditioner
a fault or damage which makes the premises unsafe or insecure.
If urgent repairs are needed you should notify the landlord or agent right away. The landlord or agent must arrange for the repairs to be done as soon as possible. If you cannot reach them, check your tenancy agreement for the details of a nominated tradesperson to contact.

If urgent repairs are not done within a reasonable time you may be able to arrange for the work to be done and be reimbursed by the landlord (but only up to $1000). However, you must be able to show that:

the need for the urgent repair was not your fault
you contacted the landlord or agent about the problem or made a reasonable attempt to do so
you gave the landlord or agent a reasonable opportunity to get the repairs done
the repairs were carried out by a licensed tradesperson (if appropriate).
You must give the landlord written notice setting out the details of the repair and copies of all receipts. The landlord is required to pay you back within 14 days of receiving your notice. If they do not you can apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for an order.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_...pairs_done.html

I just wish they'd define a 'reasonable length of time'

#13 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

The OP didn't say it was a security screen, the way it was described as more like a fly wire door.

#14 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 22/02/2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Her door locks, it's her security screen that doesn't. Considering it isn't a standard rental item, I don't see how it is urgent :/

Where did she say that exactly?

I see a comment about a screen door with a lock, and a second comment about a sliding door that wouldn't be hard to open. Its silent as to whether or not it has a lock.

Which is why I prefaced my statement with a 'if your glass door doesn't key locked'....

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 22/02/2013, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The OP didn't say it was a security screen, the way it was described as more like a fly wire door.

She didn't say that either. But, it does have a lock. Or did. So it offers some form of security. A fly wire door (that isn't also a security one) doesn't usually come with a lock, does it? A latch yes, a lock, no...

#16 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Mischief Managed @ 22/02/2013, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully it's done asap and your contents insurance isn't affected.

We had a back door without a lock on a property when we moved in (first house out of home); called the agent and they said they'd get someone to look in on it; we couldn't get contents insurance without it.

Came home from work the next day and our house had been robbed.  The only things that hadn't been taken were our bed our couch and the fish tank.

Oh dear, they certainly 'took care of it'. sad.gif

#17 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

The little latch thing just seized up and refused to move to lock the door, so the door will not lock

You're right spikey, I must admit I read from this bit that it wasn't a key type lockable door, but more of a latch type thing. But that was just my imagination from what was written

#18 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've had such a bad day, I'm not game to assume anything at this point. It might bite me. wink.gif

#19 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

That was my day yesterday, spikey

#20 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I should also add, that you could very well be right - she mentioned a latch but that it locks. So that's why I took the each way bet. laugh.gif

#21 unicorn

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 22/02/2013, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My parents have those crim safe doors and they have a latch that you just flip from 1 o'clock to 11 o'clock. This latch also moves when you use the key to lock it from either inside the doors or outside. Once locked with the key though, the latch won't unlock without the key.
I have had standard security screens that work the same way and if they are the same as the OPs then yes OP I think it is a security issue and should be fixed within 24 hours.

Have you tried spraying some WD40 into the mechanism or seen if there is something jamming it?

Edited by Flibbertigibberty, 22 February 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#22 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 22/02/2013, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did she say that exactly?

I see a comment about a screen door with a lock, and a second comment about a sliding door that wouldn't be hard to open. Its silent as to whether or not it has a lock.

Which is why I prefaced my statement with a 'if your glass door doesn't key locked'....

If you read the op, it specifically says "screen door". She is then concerned because her "still lockable" glass door would be easy to break into (as you can lift, slide, and pop many of them off).

ETA: We have a screen door which can either be "latched" (with plastic surrounding the latch) or dead locked.

Edited by Mareek, 22 February 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Graphite will lubricate the lock.  Get a greylead pencil, crush up some of the lead and blow it into the lock.  If it's just a little stuck, it'll loosen.  If it's totally caput, call a locksmith and send them the bill, otherwise if your place gets turned over your insurance will be worthless.

#24 Ireckon

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Our screen sliding door lock broke about 12 months into our tenancy. Honestly, I believe it broke from the way my kids close the door. I went to bunnings and got a replacement for about $80 and installed it myself, it was very easy. I let the Re know and gave them a copy of the new key. I did not expect it to be paid for, because it broke due to the constant slamming nature of my children closing the door ( we won't go into my frazzled nerves and repeated "close it gently"'s)

I realise that security is a LL responsibility. We are also Ll's ourselves. We have a great relationship with our tenants though, and if this happened to them, they would either a) replace it and we would reimburse them or b) they would own the repair as a result of their constant usage and wear the costs themselves.

I am in no way saying that you have broken the lock, you have clearly stated it seized up and it is old. 6 years of living in the same place does allow for user wear and tear. Just giving a different point of view of how it happened for us and how our tenants would handle the situation.

#25 -*meh*-

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Ireckon @ 22/02/2013, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our screen sliding door lock broke about 12 months into our tenancy. Honestly, I believe it broke from the way my kids close the door. I went to bunnings and got a replacement for about $80 and installed it myself, it was very easy. I let the Re know and gave them a copy of the new key. I did not expect it to be paid for, because it broke due to the constant slamming nature of my children closing the door ( we won't go into my frazzled nerves and repeated "close it gently"'s)

I realise that security is a LL responsibility. We are also Ll's ourselves. We have a great relationship with our tenants though, and if this happened to them, they would either a) replace it and we would reimburse them or b) they would own the repair as a result of their constant usage and wear the costs themselves.

I am in no way saying that you have broken the lock, you have clearly stated it seized up and it is old. 6 years of living in the same place does allow for user wear and tear. Just giving a different point of view of how it happened for us and how our tenants would handle the situation.

wear and tear on the property is not the tenants responsibility to fix regardless how long they have been there for. damage caused by neglect,abuse or accident is but not general wear and tear

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.