How long for landlord to fix door lock?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I have what I think is a slack landlord.  We have been here for 6 years, and the very few times I have had to call her for maintenance issues she has taking ages (sometimes months and after many phone calls) to rectify the problems)
Anyway 2 days ago the lock on the back screen door stopped working.  The little latch thing just seized up and refused to move to lock the door, so the door will not lock.  I informed the landlord straight away, and she said that she would get someone out when she could.  I mentioned that I thought that this was a security issue, hence needing it fixed asap.  (The back door is a glass sliding door, and would not be hard to force open)
How long do you think is reasonable to fix this problem?

#2 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

A screen door is not an emergency, so probably a week or two max. Stick a piece of dowel in the door in the meantime if you are concerned

#3 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I am also confused why it is a security issue.  The glass door sound as though it is the real locking door. A screen door with a simple latch is not a security door (the way you describe it).

#4 Illiterati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Screen door? Within a week or two?

#5 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (SlowEmotionReplay @ 22/02/2013, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Screen door? Within a week or two?

I'm just going by how long it took to get ours fixed (and ours locked, it just seized up and was very difficult to open). For non emergency repairs, we have waited a maximum of two weeks.

#6 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

A couple of weeks. But they may not have to fix it as technically the screen still serves it purpose to screen the bugs, it just doesnt lock. And screen doors are not something you have to have on a rental.

#7 madmax1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

For the same thing I waited for 3 days. I told them my insurance was invalid without a secure door (~which  it is) We also do not have keys to lock the glass doors only the screen doors so for us it was a security issue. The locksmith said the lock was so old he was amazed it had lasted so long as it was.

#8 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

TBH I'd just google how to fix that myself & if it didn't work I'd organize something myself, it's not an urgent repair like a hot water system so something small like that I'd do myself.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Locks on doors and windows are a security issue. If the glass door doesn't key locked, then it is an urgent repair and should be done within 24-48 hours.

I'd be phoning a locksmith so you know how much its going to cost. If your LL is that slack, I'd probably just do it (organise the locksmith) myself, and send them the bill.

Do you have a property manager, or are you directly letting from the LL?

#10 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 22/02/2013, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Locks on doors and windows are a security issue. If the glass door doesn't key locked, then it is an urgent repair and should be done within 24-48 hours.

I'd be phoning a locksmith so you know how much its going to cost. If your LL is that slack, I'd probably just do it (organise the locksmith) myself, and send them the bill.

Do you have a property manager, or are you directly letting from the LL?

Her door locks, it's her security screen that doesn't. Considering it isn't a standard rental item, I don't see how it is urgent :/

#11 Mischief Managed

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hopefully it's done asap and your contents insurance isn't affected.

We had a back door without a lock on a property when we moved in (first house out of home); called the agent and they said they'd get someone to look in on it; we couldn't get contents insurance without it.

Came home from work the next day and our house had been robbed.  The only things that hadn't been taken were our bed our couch and the fish tank.

#12 Smoo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

this is for nsw but other states should have similar

Urgent repairs
The law distinguishes between urgent (emergency) repairs and those which are not so urgent. Urgent repairs are:

a burst water service or a serious water service leak
a blocked or broken toilet
a serious roof leak
a gas leak
a dangerous electrical fault
flooding or serious flood damage
serious storm or fire damage
a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
a failure or breakdown of the hot water service
a failure or breakdown of the stove or oven
a failure or breakdown of a heater or air-conditioner
a fault or damage which makes the premises unsafe or insecure.
If urgent repairs are needed you should notify the landlord or agent right away. The landlord or agent must arrange for the repairs to be done as soon as possible. If you cannot reach them, check your tenancy agreement for the details of a nominated tradesperson to contact.

If urgent repairs are not done within a reasonable time you may be able to arrange for the work to be done and be reimbursed by the landlord (but only up to $1000). However, you must be able to show that:

the need for the urgent repair was not your fault
you contacted the landlord or agent about the problem or made a reasonable attempt to do so
you gave the landlord or agent a reasonable opportunity to get the repairs done
the repairs were carried out by a licensed tradesperson (if appropriate).
You must give the landlord written notice setting out the details of the repair and copies of all receipts. The landlord is required to pay you back within 14 days of receiving your notice. If they do not you can apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for an order.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_...pairs_done.html

I just wish they'd define a 'reasonable length of time'

#13 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

The OP didn't say it was a security screen, the way it was described as more like a fly wire door.

#14 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 22/02/2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Her door locks, it's her security screen that doesn't. Considering it isn't a standard rental item, I don't see how it is urgent :/

Where did she say that exactly?

I see a comment about a screen door with a lock, and a second comment about a sliding door that wouldn't be hard to open. Its silent as to whether or not it has a lock.

Which is why I prefaced my statement with a 'if your glass door doesn't key locked'....

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 22/02/2013, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The OP didn't say it was a security screen, the way it was described as more like a fly wire door.

She didn't say that either. But, it does have a lock. Or did. So it offers some form of security. A fly wire door (that isn't also a security one) doesn't usually come with a lock, does it? A latch yes, a lock, no...

#16 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Mischief Managed @ 22/02/2013, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully it's done asap and your contents insurance isn't affected.

We had a back door without a lock on a property when we moved in (first house out of home); called the agent and they said they'd get someone to look in on it; we couldn't get contents insurance without it.

Came home from work the next day and our house had been robbed.  The only things that hadn't been taken were our bed our couch and the fish tank.

Oh dear, they certainly 'took care of it'. sad.gif

#17 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

The little latch thing just seized up and refused to move to lock the door, so the door will not lock

You're right spikey, I must admit I read from this bit that it wasn't a key type lockable door, but more of a latch type thing. But that was just my imagination from what was written

#18 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've had such a bad day, I'm not game to assume anything at this point. It might bite me. wink.gif

#19 JRA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

That was my day yesterday, spikey

#20 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I should also add, that you could very well be right - she mentioned a latch but that it locks. So that's why I took the each way bet. laugh.gif

#21 unicorn

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 22/02/2013, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My parents have those crim safe doors and they have a latch that you just flip from 1 o'clock to 11 o'clock. This latch also moves when you use the key to lock it from either inside the doors or outside. Once locked with the key though, the latch won't unlock without the key.
I have had standard security screens that work the same way and if they are the same as the OPs then yes OP I think it is a security issue and should be fixed within 24 hours.

Have you tried spraying some WD40 into the mechanism or seen if there is something jamming it?

Edited by Flibbertigibberty, 22 February 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#22 ~Supernova~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 22/02/2013, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did she say that exactly?

I see a comment about a screen door with a lock, and a second comment about a sliding door that wouldn't be hard to open. Its silent as to whether or not it has a lock.

Which is why I prefaced my statement with a 'if your glass door doesn't key locked'....

If you read the op, it specifically says "screen door". She is then concerned because her "still lockable" glass door would be easy to break into (as you can lift, slide, and pop many of them off).

ETA: We have a screen door which can either be "latched" (with plastic surrounding the latch) or dead locked.

Edited by Mareek, 22 February 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Graphite will lubricate the lock.  Get a greylead pencil, crush up some of the lead and blow it into the lock.  If it's just a little stuck, it'll loosen.  If it's totally caput, call a locksmith and send them the bill, otherwise if your place gets turned over your insurance will be worthless.

#24 Ireckon

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Our screen sliding door lock broke about 12 months into our tenancy. Honestly, I believe it broke from the way my kids close the door. I went to bunnings and got a replacement for about $80 and installed it myself, it was very easy. I let the Re know and gave them a copy of the new key. I did not expect it to be paid for, because it broke due to the constant slamming nature of my children closing the door ( we won't go into my frazzled nerves and repeated "close it gently"'s)

I realise that security is a LL responsibility. We are also Ll's ourselves. We have a great relationship with our tenants though, and if this happened to them, they would either a) replace it and we would reimburse them or b) they would own the repair as a result of their constant usage and wear the costs themselves.

I am in no way saying that you have broken the lock, you have clearly stated it seized up and it is old. 6 years of living in the same place does allow for user wear and tear. Just giving a different point of view of how it happened for us and how our tenants would handle the situation.

#25 -*meh*-

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Ireckon @ 22/02/2013, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our screen sliding door lock broke about 12 months into our tenancy. Honestly, I believe it broke from the way my kids close the door. I went to bunnings and got a replacement for about $80 and installed it myself, it was very easy. I let the Re know and gave them a copy of the new key. I did not expect it to be paid for, because it broke due to the constant slamming nature of my children closing the door ( we won't go into my frazzled nerves and repeated "close it gently"'s)

I realise that security is a LL responsibility. We are also Ll's ourselves. We have a great relationship with our tenants though, and if this happened to them, they would either a) replace it and we would reimburse them or b) they would own the repair as a result of their constant usage and wear the costs themselves.

I am in no way saying that you have broken the lock, you have clearly stated it seized up and it is old. 6 years of living in the same place does allow for user wear and tear. Just giving a different point of view of how it happened for us and how our tenants would handle the situation.

wear and tear on the property is not the tenants responsibility to fix regardless how long they have been there for. damage caused by neglect,abuse or accident is but not general wear and tear

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Dying mum saves baby with last breath

Dying from a gunshot wound, Jessica Arrendale used the last of her energy to hide her baby from her killer.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.