What does it cost to go to Uni?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I am quite sure the system has changed since I went to uni 20+ years ago!

We have a relative who is asking for money for Uni costs, and we are sceptical this is the real purpose of funds.  There have been many requests for more money over the years.

She is in her last year of school so would not be starting Uni until next year.  Are there costs to be paid now?  Like enrolment application fees or similar?  She lives in Southern Queensland, I don't know what Uni she would be going to but she is apparently interested in a diplomatic career - she likes travel wink.gif - I can only guess the course would be Arts?

When she does actually start Uni I am assuming there are up front uni fees, student union, books etc.  How much would need to be set aside for these?  I understand the actual course fees can be deferred under HECS or whatever it is called today.

#2 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

All uni fees can be deferred with HECs, the student union fees may also be covered by a HECs type thing. Books need to be paid upfront if she buys them, but many people don't, especially not before the course has actually started. The earliest she'd need to pay anything would be sometime in March in her first year of uni. There are no application fees etc.

#3 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (HerringToMarmalade @ 22/02/2013, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The earliest she'd need to pay anything would be sometime in March in her first year of uni. There are no application fees etc.

This is pretty much what I thought ... yet another scam ...

#4 Beancat

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

although the structure of Hecs has changed there are no application fees unless she is going to a private uni?  She is not planning on going to Bond or the like?

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

No fees need to be paid for now. If she is in her final year she wouldn't even know if she has been sucessful - nor would she have even lodged her QTAC application yet!

The offers for next year are not released until January next year & then she need to accept. QTAC applications are simply a phone call.

After that, the only fees to be paid upfront should be her textbooks. Even then, we were advised to not buy them until after our first lecture, in-case they needed to be changed. She will also need to have access to a computer, printer & Internet.

I can also tell you that Griffith, UQ, QUT & USQ also do online streaming of their lectures, so if transport is an issue on a particular day, then she can just view them online.

#6 FeralDancesHere

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I assume she would be applying through QTAC, and I don't think applications have opened yet (from memory applications start August or September).

QTAC

There is a small application fee that is paid when you apply (under $100).

If she does got to uni and gets youth allowance the government gives a lump sum each semester for book costs as well, in case she asks for money for that.

Edited by WinterDancesHere, 22 February 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#7 katpaws

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

This might help:

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassis...cs-help-welcome

http://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/org...rring/hecs-help

http://future.ask.sydney.edu.au/app/answer...o-to-university

You have HELP, which had different loan fees for tuition cost and uni amenity fees.

There should not be any costs now as if she has not deferred a place, i don't think she would have received a place yet as you need to have a tertiary entrance score as a younger person to apply to uni. There is no capping of places at public universities and the unis decide how many students they want to take on but they can't ask people to pay for places to be held before they get an enrolment etc. She should be able to provide you with n invoice outlining all the charges.

Other costs are placement (work experience) costs, books, printing, union fees, residential fees if living in campus, transport costs, parking etc.

I completed a degree recently and really only paid the costs of the tuition (i did not use HECS).

If she is going to a private university/college the fees could be a lot more but at the moment i understand that unis have to set the prices for tuition as set by the Federal Goverment but other fees/costs are up to them.

Find out where she is going and check out their website.

Edited by katpaws, 22 February 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#8 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I did briefly wonder about Bond, but looking at their website, they have no fee deferral (and the cost of an  undergraduate fee is nearly $100,000!).  I don't think that is within her reach, somehow; and I am pretty sure she would not be likely to get a scholarship.

#9 MintyBiscuit

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is she asking just randomly, or asking for money towards uni as a birthday gift? Just randomly is rude and bizarre, but if she's requesting it as a birthday gift I don't see a problem with it. There are costs associated with uni even with the various fee help options, so perhaps she's being conscientious and starting to save towards it?

Or she's mooching wink.gif

#10 B.feral3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

I go to uni in QLD.

I paid $115 2 years ago to QTAC to file my registration and preferences.

In my first term I paid $700 for books for 3 subjects. I never made that mistake again!! Since then, and 2 years later I have spent a total of about $150 on books!! You don't need half of the ones they tell you and they ones you do need I have been able to buy second hand or borrow from the library.

I defer most of my fees. Sometimes every now and then I pay a term in cash here and there to prevent my HECS debt growing. It's not essential though.

My degree is far more expensive than my sister's degree (teaching). I have next to no national priority subjects. She had a half hour drive through 2 tolls and pay parking at her uni though where as I am 5 minutes away and parking is free. Her out of pocket is much more than mine but my debt will be three times as much!!

There are a few variables. She shouldn't need help with whatever fees she has though. I can't believe you have been asked for money!!

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 22/02/2013, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my first term I paid $700 for books for 3 subjects. I never made that mistake again!! Since then, and 2 years later I have spent a total of about $150 on books!! You don't need half of the ones they tell you and they ones you do need I have been able to buy second hand or borrow from the library.

I used to pay over $500 a semester for my textbooks & that was 10 years ago...however most of them were legislation & I still refer to some of them even today.

The second hand bookshop was great for any non-law books!

#12 B.feral3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yes, a lot of the books I have bought I've sold on again too so I got my money back. I am anti clutter though. I get rid of things now and worry about them later!! My DH did an engineering degree and kept all his books. I keep tell him to sell them before the editions get too far out of date but he says NO, he uses them!!!  laugh.gif

#13 Georgette47

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Is she moving out of home to go to uni? As a rural kid, I remember saving to go away to uni - most was for living costs, although I did pick up a part-time job as soon as I could.

#14 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 22/02/2013, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is she asking just randomly, or asking for money towards uni as a birthday gift?

She asked the grandparents for it on the basis that she needs money it to enrol in Uni now.  
The grandparents asked us what had to be paid now. They have contributed so much towards her education already!

There is a lot more history than I would be willing to put on here, and I would guess that it has to do with her mother/father/guilt trip on the grandparents (on both sides)/entitlement etc.

#15 katpaws

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I don't think that she would have been offered a place without a TE score. The grandparents should ask to see the invoice or letter of offer.

#16 DontPokeTheBearMum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Is she a citizen? I am a permanent resident and have to pay fees upfront before the census date at the end of March. So $4000 odd dollars for full time study.

#17 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Captain Fembo @ 22/02/2013, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is she a citizen? I am a permanent resident and have to pay fees upfront before the census date at the end of March. So $4000 odd dollars for full time study.

Yes - born in Australia, both parents born in Australia.

#18 starsg

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I work in student admin at a university and I can tell you at this stage (is she planning on going to uni in 2014?) she will not have to pay anything, she is trying to scam you.

the way it works is (in vic anyway, I assume it would be fairly similar in QLD), around September she will put in her course preferences. then, she'll get her results around the start of December. Universities will make their first round offers to students in January and will generally enrol students into their courses in Jan.

Unless she is applying for fee paying places which hardly any local students do unless their results are bad, she will be in a commonwealth supported (CSP) place which means all her fees are able to be deferred on HECS. she will not have to pay ANY of her HECS debt until she is earning over the threshold which is around $45k. For an arts degree, books should be under $300 a semester and if she is accessing any type of government support she will get an education start up payment of around $600 at the start of each semester to cover these expenses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.