What does it cost to go to Uni?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I am quite sure the system has changed since I went to uni 20+ years ago!

We have a relative who is asking for money for Uni costs, and we are sceptical this is the real purpose of funds.  There have been many requests for more money over the years.

She is in her last year of school so would not be starting Uni until next year.  Are there costs to be paid now?  Like enrolment application fees or similar?  She lives in Southern Queensland, I don't know what Uni she would be going to but she is apparently interested in a diplomatic career - she likes travel wink.gif - I can only guess the course would be Arts?

When she does actually start Uni I am assuming there are up front uni fees, student union, books etc.  How much would need to be set aside for these?  I understand the actual course fees can be deferred under HECS or whatever it is called today.

#2 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

All uni fees can be deferred with HECs, the student union fees may also be covered by a HECs type thing. Books need to be paid upfront if she buys them, but many people don't, especially not before the course has actually started. The earliest she'd need to pay anything would be sometime in March in her first year of uni. There are no application fees etc.

#3 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (HerringToMarmalade @ 22/02/2013, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The earliest she'd need to pay anything would be sometime in March in her first year of uni. There are no application fees etc.

This is pretty much what I thought ... yet another scam ...

#4 Beancat

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

although the structure of Hecs has changed there are no application fees unless she is going to a private uni?  She is not planning on going to Bond or the like?

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

No fees need to be paid for now. If she is in her final year she wouldn't even know if she has been sucessful - nor would she have even lodged her QTAC application yet!

The offers for next year are not released until January next year & then she need to accept. QTAC applications are simply a phone call.

After that, the only fees to be paid upfront should be her textbooks. Even then, we were advised to not buy them until after our first lecture, in-case they needed to be changed. She will also need to have access to a computer, printer & Internet.

I can also tell you that Griffith, UQ, QUT & USQ also do online streaming of their lectures, so if transport is an issue on a particular day, then she can just view them online.

#6 Let_it_Rain

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I assume she would be applying through QTAC, and I don't think applications have opened yet (from memory applications start August or September).

QTAC

There is a small application fee that is paid when you apply (under $100).

If she does got to uni and gets youth allowance the government gives a lump sum each semester for book costs as well, in case she asks for money for that.

Edited by WinterDancesHere, 22 February 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#7 katpaws

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

This might help:

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassis...cs-help-welcome

http://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/org...rring/hecs-help

http://future.ask.sydney.edu.au/app/answer...o-to-university

You have HELP, which had different loan fees for tuition cost and uni amenity fees.

There should not be any costs now as if she has not deferred a place, i don't think she would have received a place yet as you need to have a tertiary entrance score as a younger person to apply to uni. There is no capping of places at public universities and the unis decide how many students they want to take on but they can't ask people to pay for places to be held before they get an enrolment etc. She should be able to provide you with n invoice outlining all the charges.

Other costs are placement (work experience) costs, books, printing, union fees, residential fees if living in campus, transport costs, parking etc.

I completed a degree recently and really only paid the costs of the tuition (i did not use HECS).

If she is going to a private university/college the fees could be a lot more but at the moment i understand that unis have to set the prices for tuition as set by the Federal Goverment but other fees/costs are up to them.

Find out where she is going and check out their website.

Edited by katpaws, 22 February 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#8 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I did briefly wonder about Bond, but looking at their website, they have no fee deferral (and the cost of an  undergraduate fee is nearly $100,000!).  I don't think that is within her reach, somehow; and I am pretty sure she would not be likely to get a scholarship.

#9 MintyBiscuit

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is she asking just randomly, or asking for money towards uni as a birthday gift? Just randomly is rude and bizarre, but if she's requesting it as a birthday gift I don't see a problem with it. There are costs associated with uni even with the various fee help options, so perhaps she's being conscientious and starting to save towards it?

Or she's mooching wink.gif

#10 B.feral3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

I go to uni in QLD.

I paid $115 2 years ago to QTAC to file my registration and preferences.

In my first term I paid $700 for books for 3 subjects. I never made that mistake again!! Since then, and 2 years later I have spent a total of about $150 on books!! You don't need half of the ones they tell you and they ones you do need I have been able to buy second hand or borrow from the library.

I defer most of my fees. Sometimes every now and then I pay a term in cash here and there to prevent my HECS debt growing. It's not essential though.

My degree is far more expensive than my sister's degree (teaching). I have next to no national priority subjects. She had a half hour drive through 2 tolls and pay parking at her uni though where as I am 5 minutes away and parking is free. Her out of pocket is much more than mine but my debt will be three times as much!!

There are a few variables. She shouldn't need help with whatever fees she has though. I can't believe you have been asked for money!!

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 22/02/2013, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my first term I paid $700 for books for 3 subjects. I never made that mistake again!! Since then, and 2 years later I have spent a total of about $150 on books!! You don't need half of the ones they tell you and they ones you do need I have been able to buy second hand or borrow from the library.

I used to pay over $500 a semester for my textbooks & that was 10 years ago...however most of them were legislation & I still refer to some of them even today.

The second hand bookshop was great for any non-law books!

#12 B.feral3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yes, a lot of the books I have bought I've sold on again too so I got my money back. I am anti clutter though. I get rid of things now and worry about them later!! My DH did an engineering degree and kept all his books. I keep tell him to sell them before the editions get too far out of date but he says NO, he uses them!!!  laugh.gif

#13 Georgette47

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Is she moving out of home to go to uni? As a rural kid, I remember saving to go away to uni - most was for living costs, although I did pick up a part-time job as soon as I could.

#14 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 22/02/2013, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is she asking just randomly, or asking for money towards uni as a birthday gift?

She asked the grandparents for it on the basis that she needs money it to enrol in Uni now.  
The grandparents asked us what had to be paid now. They have contributed so much towards her education already!

There is a lot more history than I would be willing to put on here, and I would guess that it has to do with her mother/father/guilt trip on the grandparents (on both sides)/entitlement etc.

#15 katpaws

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I don't think that she would have been offered a place without a TE score. The grandparents should ask to see the invoice or letter of offer.

#16 DontPokeTheBearMum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Is she a citizen? I am a permanent resident and have to pay fees upfront before the census date at the end of March. So $4000 odd dollars for full time study.

#17 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Captain Fembo @ 22/02/2013, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is she a citizen? I am a permanent resident and have to pay fees upfront before the census date at the end of March. So $4000 odd dollars for full time study.

Yes - born in Australia, both parents born in Australia.

#18 starsg

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I work in student admin at a university and I can tell you at this stage (is she planning on going to uni in 2014?) she will not have to pay anything, she is trying to scam you.

the way it works is (in vic anyway, I assume it would be fairly similar in QLD), around September she will put in her course preferences. then, she'll get her results around the start of December. Universities will make their first round offers to students in January and will generally enrol students into their courses in Jan.

Unless she is applying for fee paying places which hardly any local students do unless their results are bad, she will be in a commonwealth supported (CSP) place which means all her fees are able to be deferred on HECS. she will not have to pay ANY of her HECS debt until she is earning over the threshold which is around $45k. For an arts degree, books should be under $300 a semester and if she is accessing any type of government support she will get an education start up payment of around $600 at the start of each semester to cover these expenses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Public welcome outside church for Princess Charlotte's christening

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have invited well-wishers to see Princess Charlotte outside church in Sandringham on day of her baptism.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Gay couple in their 80s first to wed in Dallas after Supreme Court ruling

Love may have won, but it came with quite the wait.

William Tyrrell's family marks birthday with cake and renewed appeal

The family of missing boy William Tyrrell will mark his fourth birthday on Friday making a cake to share with friends and family as NSW police renewed their public appeal for information on his disappearance.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Orphaned baby daughter Ayla wakes from coma

Former All Black Jerry Collins' critically injured orphaned daughter has awoken from her coma and is able to bottle-feed.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Channel 10's Sarah Harris expecting first child

The Studio host Sarah Harris doesn't mind if her first baby is a boy or girl, but she does hope it is born with one thing in particular.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

The horrible act that sparked a brawl at child's birthday party

The uncle of the seven-year-old girl at the centre of the brawl at child's birthday party in Sydney's west has described the events leading up to the alarming show of violence.

Babies 'benefit from iPads at a young age': study

More often than not, you'll read that screen time for children should be kept to a minimum - but some scientists are now challenging this way of thinking.

Do mums really just obsessively talk about their children?

Natalie Reilly describes three main types of conversations mothers have. And, surprise, they're not all about kids.

Why some dogs might attack babies or young kids

A baby's smell, the noises it makes and even its gaze can contribute to the potential for a dog attack.

Mum demands refund for 'beargina' christening cake

It was meant to be a tasteful cake to help celebrate a three-year-old's christening.

5 things no one warns you about after giving birth

How many times have you been warned about all the sleepless nights you have to 'look forward to' when you become a parent?

Police officer sang nursery rhyme as heartbreaking photo was taken

A police officer arrived at a devastating scene on Thursday: a car crash resulting in all passengers being thrown from the vehicle.

Don't worry, working mums: Just leave Dad in charge at home

Want to open the boardroom doors for women? Encourage - heck, praise - dads who stay home with their children.

Hilaria Baldwin shares post-baby selfie

Just two days after giving birth, actor Alec Balwin's wife posted a post-baby picture on social media.

'Help - my child won't ever do what I ask!'

Compliance is part of the parent-child relationship, but so is resistance. It's all natural.

Postnatal depression support gets $23 million boost in NSW

The Baird government will include $22.8 million in Tuesday's NSW budget to expand a program designed to help parents at risk of postnatal depression (PND).

'I'm just as tired, scared and stressed as you': stay-at-home dad's plea

I'm really lucky to have two great kids, but I found it really tough with so much being aimed at the mothers and not the fathers.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.