How much homework does your 5/6 year old get?
And are they at a public or private school?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 flowermama

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

I was talking to my neighbour yesterday and she was saying her 6 year old has 45 minutes of homework every night (writing words etc). This seems like a lot to me - I don't remember getting homework until I was about 10! So have times changed and all kids that age get this sort of homework or is it just some schools? He is at a private school.

Edited by flowermama, 22 February 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#2 *JJ*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

My 5 year old is in prep QLD and  her homework started this week and is for the remainder of the term.

It is writing the alphabet (laminated sheets) and saying the sounds that each letter makes and also practicing name writing.

It doesn't take to long and we do it together each afternoon.

Not sure as this is my first child on school and it is public.

Will be interesting to see what others do.

#3 Sunny003

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

DS's are 8 (4th year of school) and 6.5 (2nd year of school) and have readers each night & 5 spelling words for the week.

They practice their spelling words in class too, so only the kids who are struggling really need to practice at home.

I'm so glad our school has a no/very little homework policy for the younger grades.

#4 qak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

DS age 6 is in year 1 (second year of school) and gets one double-sided page that would probably take him 20 mins (if he just sat down to do it!).  This is given out on Moday for return on Thursday.  I am encouraging him to do this in the 'homework club' at after school care.

Then he also has a reader which can take from 10-20 mins per night, and is also supposed to do 20 mins of mathletics per night.  We just haven't been able to do the mathletics - i think he has done it once this week.

#5 Percoriel

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

My DD is six and in her second year of school. They just have their readers to read as homework. The school doesn't give any additional homework till year three (third year of school).

#6 gizboo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Its supposed to be 15min on readers and 15min on homework (but it can blow out to 45mins all up sometimes)

My 5 & 6yos are in Yr 1 & 2 at a Cath school.
Both get readers, 10 spelling words (look, cover, write), a literacy activity (put words into alphabetical order, or similar) and a maths sheet. Homework isn't a big deal though, the teachers encourage the readers & spelling words, but the rest is just considered extra extension work at this stage.

#7 sophiasmum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Public school here.

In kindergarten the only homework they got was a home reader 4 nights a week.

From year 1 they started getting homework sheets in additon to the reading, which consisted of spelling words, sentences, times tables (if they were in a higher maths group), english & maths problems. does

DD1 spaces her homework out over Mon-Wed nights.

DS does most of his on Sunday mornings.

#8 baddmammajamma

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

My kids are at a private, high performing (though not selective) primary school.

My 5 year old (FYOS) has very limited homework at this stage -- typically doing light preparation for weekly "news."

Next week, they will start home readers and will be expected to read for a few minutes every evening at home and practice sight words. C'est tout.

Other friends in the area have reported crazy amounts of homework -- up to 45 min/night for a kid in FYOS!

Interestingly, my daughter's Y1 teacher last year -- a very seasoned veteran and distinguished teacher -- totally opposes homework of any sort beyond home readers. She believes, as I do, that young kids already cram so much learning into the day that they deserve to have lots of down time at home to recharge their batteries. She told me that the pressure to have homework comes not from the school but from some very vocal parents! I have heard this from other friends who are teachers.

I think things are getting a bit out of hand with how hard little kids are being pushed. I recently heard of more than one provider of services to help COACH kids for the Best Start Assessment in NSW.

WTF?!  wacko.gif

#9 FeralBob!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

DD is in year 1 at a NSW public school. She typically gets one reader a night and a list of about 10 spelling words to write out every night which takes her about 5 minutes. The school has advised that this should take no more than 20 minutes per night, and if the child doesn't want to do it, then don't force them.

The school is also going to have a discussion with parents later in the year about rethinking whether homework is needed in the lower years at all.

#10 cheerilee

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

DD is 6 and in grade 1 in Vic. She has a reader every night, spelling words with a test on Friday and a homework book. The homework book is a double page spread to be done each week, it gets sent home on Friday and needs to be handed in on Thursday.

#11 Kreme

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

DS is 5 and in FYOS. He has a reader every day. He also has a sheet of sight words to learn which he can take at his own pace. Once he knows them he moves on to the next sheet. And there is optional writing practice, which is just tracing over the letters. He is very enthusiastic about his "homework" at the moment and he does it straight after school. All up it takes him maybe 10 mins.

DD is 6 and in Yr 1. She also has a reader every day. She's reading chapter books so she does 15 minutes every night. She also has optional homework, which is spelling practice, some maths exercises, physical activities, and my favourite - a list of home chores and self care tasks to choose from. It's such a nice experience to hear "Mummy I need to unpack the dishwasher!"  biggrin.gif. She chooses one activity each night and combined with the reading it probably takes her 25 minutes, although she would read regardless so that part doesn't feel like homework to her.

None of their homework is marked or checked by the teacher, DD has a little token to take in each week to confirm she has done her homework, but it is optional.

ETA: they are at a NSW public school.

Edited by kreme, 22 February 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#12 mombasa

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

DD is in her second year of School and last year (FYOS) had to do 20 minutes each night, Monday to Thursday and it was a huge struggle, not because she wasn't capable but because after school she was so tired and the word homework triggered tears and tantrums, it was horrible. This year thankfully it's 10 minutes a week plus readers, DD enjoys doing it now and it's not a struggle.

#13 Kay1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Totally depends on the school. Our school is fairly anti-homework. In FYOS my son got maybe 10 minutes over the week (not including home readers). I have friends who's kids were doing 30-40 minutes at that age (public schools).

Now in Year 2 DS1 gets a bit more, maybe 30 minutes or so spread across the week - plus home readers and preparing a short news item once a week.

#14 Carmen02

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

at that age my two where only getting a small reader everynight that took no more then 10mins..my grade 5 10 yr old does 45mins for younger children i dont think its any benefit

#15 EBeditor

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

DS is in grade 1 (2nd year of school).

He receives two weekly home readers and a worksheet with several numeracy and literacy tasks that he has from M-F to complete. There is also an optional online component using StudyLadder to play numeracy and literacy games.

Some of the worksheet exercises are really time consuming for a 5 yr old (like making several acrostics, or typing 20 words in different colours and fonts).  It is hard to resist wanting to tell him the answers and get it over with quickly.

My attitude is that we will encourage him to do as much as he can by himself, as long as it doesn't impact on sleep, family time or physical activity, which I feel are just as important at this age.

#16 Phoenix Blue

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

My boys are in FYOS and Grade 1 in Vic. They have readers every night (Prep starts this next week) and Grade 1 has 10 spelling words each week to practice throughout the week. Preppy will also have Magic words (sight words) to learn a bit later on.

#17 Mercurial

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

DS is in grade one.  He has a reader each night, six spelling words he writes out once each night and six sight words each week.  Takes usually under 10 mins.

DS is also getting literacy support so another five mins of homework each night for that.  

Also once a week they do a talk about a different subject (favourite toy, book, animal etc).  So usually another 10-15 mins prep for that over the whole week.  

So no more than 15 mins a night.  Though DS is on quite a low level reader, they're quite short and quick to get through.  A child at a more advanced reading level would probably have a much longer book which could take a while to get through.

#18 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

DD3 is in Year 1 (NSW) and has a spelling list that she has to write out every night, and a home reader every night.  The list takes about 5 minutes (10 words, I think) and her reader maybe 10 minutes.

DD1 and DD2 went to a different school when they were that age, and they did not have homework at all, although their weekly news followed set topics, so they did have to prepare that once a week.

Like you, OP, I do not remember having homework until at least primary school.

ETA: At the previous school (where DD3 was last year for FYOS), she did have sight words, but I didn't count that as homework, because she always knew all of them by the time she got home on Monday afternoon, so we didn't ever look at them again!

Edited by fillesetjumeaux, 22 February 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#19 Grumpy1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Seems to be big differences in how much homework is given.  45 minutes seems very excessive.  My 6 yr DD year 2 does 15 spelling words which she's expected to practise each night and a reader.  The rest of her homework includes some maths and more English and writing 3 sentences containing the spelling words.  She has til the end of the week to have it done.  

If I can get her to do it and we're having a good night she it probably takes her about 20-30 mins to finish it.  By finish I mean the entire homwrok for the week.  Add on an extra 10-15 mins for the reader.  At our school the kids who are better spellers are usually given more words.  ie some do 5, 10, 15 or 20 depending on their ability.

#20 zande

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

My 6yo has just started Year 1 in WA at a public school and she gets a few spelling words a night (that is not compulsory, just revision if they want to) and a book to read each night. Anything more than that I would not be happy with at this age.

#21 zande

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

My 6yo has just started Year 1 in WA at a public school and she gets a few spelling words a night (that is not compulsory, just revision if they want to) and a book to read each night. Anything more than that I would not be happy with at this age.

#22 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

private school in Sydney
FYOS: 10 mins + readers
Year 1: 15 mins + readers
Year 2: 20 mins + readers

#23 DS1979

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

My son is in year 1 in NSW at a public school. His homework for the week consists of doing a home reader every night (takes about 5-10mins), working on his news topic for the week (takes about 15-20mins to complete the topic over a few days) and learning his spelling words (12 words - about 5-10mins every few nights to revise).

It's all very basic and the revision of the spelling words isn't compulsory, nor is the prep for his news but we do it because he asks if we can and he enjoys it! I don't think "homework" at this age is necessarily a bad thing as it's mainly just revision and I find my son learns better when we go over things a few times, but I know of other kids who don't learn well that way so I guess it depends on the individual whether they'll get anything out of it!

#24 Spa Gonk

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

My child is 6 and in grade 1 at a public school.

The teacher has requested they read a reader at home every day.  There has been no other homework so far.  However, my child is a good reader and the books that get bought home can be quite lengthy.  The one we had the other night had 5 chapters and lots of comprehension questions in the back.  We are keeping up at present but I am not going to be too fussed if we don't.  We read to the children every day anyway.

#25 the wudges

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

This is our private primary school's homework policy, which shows the maximum times that they think should be spent per year level:

FYOS         20 minutes per week
Year 1 40 minutes per week
Year 2 60 minutes per week
Year 3 80 minutes per week
Year 4 80 minutes per week
Year 5 100 minutes per week
Year 6 120 minutes per week

This includes readers, while any other work should only be revising what has already been covered in the classroom.

I think 45 mins per night for a 6 year old is excessive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Thief uses breast milk as weapon

Police are on the hunt for a thief who robbed a pharmacy using her lactation skills.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.