• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Reubsmum77

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...-influence.html

WDYT?

#2 epl0822

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I pray for the little girl who will grow up to be her daughter in law.

#3 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

She's an idiot. I understand keeping your children away from bad influences but that's it.

#4 Reubsmum77

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think she's wrong to choose friends for her daughters based on a child's name.  I'm of the opinion that children should try to be friends with a broad range of people because the world is made up of all kinds of people.  
I tell my son to make a lot of friends and that he doesn't have to copy poor behaviour but be himself.  I know from experience that having just a couple of friends in primary school that when classes are split and your friend is no longer in your class it can be a very isolating experience.

#5 BadCat

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Oh puke.  "scheduled an extra tennis lesson"?  What a pretentious twit.

Look, I think most of us want our kids to find friends that aren't going to drag them into drugs and prostitution and (god forbid) poor grades, but that's why you teach your kids values and then hope they choose their friends well.  You don't choose their friends for them.

And if we all make sure we only let our kids be friends with people who will drag them upwards then nobody will have friends because the "better" kid's mums won't let their kids be friends with yours.

#6 Tikiboo16

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Her kid's names are Poppy and India bit she she won't let them play with kids that don't have classic names? hmmmm

Oh, and she's a snob. I suspect the kids will wake up and realise what she's been doing when they are in their teens...

#7 Kremeferal

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I think she wanted to make sure her article was published so she made it as outrageous as possible.

I find that my daughter is naturally drawn to kids like her - quiet, serious and academic. If anything I encourage her to also have friendships with the more outgoing and less academically inclined kids because I think life is more enjoyable if you surround yourself with a variety of people.

#8 Taff

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Why is one of her children standing on a leather seat with dirty shoes on? - her kids are running amok and turning feral  already biggrin.gif .

She's totally bonkers
Kind reagrds

edited to add - it's not one , it's all her children putting their dirty shoes on seats - I certainly would not allow that in my household, I'm glad my child dosen't mix with them, the family seem to have no graces at all lol

Edited by Taff, 21 February 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#9 FeralBob!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Geez, charming, much  rolleyes.gif

And on that topic, and yes, being b**chy  laugh.gif what's all this rubbish about preferring children with good Victorian era names? It's not like all her own kids fall fair and square into that territory!

It'd be interesting to see what happens if the kids grow up and get sick of their mum attitude and show it the best way they can, with multiple piercings and tatts. No doubt their good mother would swoon at the chaviness laughing2.gif

#10 Gegemite

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I also favour children who have good old-fashioned Victorian names such as George, Henry and Victoria. And, if a child has a name with a Latin or Greek derivation such as Ariadne or Helena, all the better. It indicates the parents are well educated.

Says the woman who named her kids India and Poppy?!

She's an idiot.

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

She has to be having a lend of us all right?

How can someone do that, just because one is academically gifted doesn't make them any better than someone who isn't.

#12 la di dah

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

My reaction was visceral relief because I feel guilty when I'm  a judgemental cow about controversial names that could have been chosen innocent of their connotations of appropriation or imperialism, so I enjoy knowing India's mother really is a stupid social-climbing British colonial t*at.

#13 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

This is a joke right?
Clearly just out to get attention!

#14 Aribika

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Taff @ 21/02/2013, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is one of her children standing on a leather seat with dirty shoes on?

This was exactly my thought.  In one picture they all have shoes on couches.  

She strikes me as someone who is all about the way things look to other people and very little about being true to yourself or looking beneath the obvious.  

I hope her chn don't get stuck with fair weather friends like their Mum who walk away from them as soon as the cracks start to show.  Judgemental? Yes.  Both me and her.  

Lorraine

#15 StarandMoon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

This reads just like a parody to me!

#16 BetteBoop

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (LeSm @ 21/02/2013, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a joke right?
Clearly just out to get attention!

Yes. The UK papers are renowed for holding a delusional woman up for ridicule to get lots of hits on their website/comments.

It's essentially trolling, except they earn money doing it.

#17 Tammy Swanson

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

This woman is a fool. She was a contestant a few years back on the real 'Apprentice' show and she was the 'baddie' who every one hated so it is no surprise she has come out and written something like this.

A friend of mine's mum was like this and whilst I was deemed acceptable in her friends a lot of really nice girls were not which is a shame for her. Now she is an adult with kids of her own she admits she was a very lonely child who never wanted to make friends with kids in case her mother disapproved. This has now stemmed into her adult relationships including work ones which did not go down very well, so she 'left' a lot of great jobs because she simply could not get along with people form varying backgrounds. She also has some pretty serious social issues as she was never taught to relate to people she deemed 'lower' than herself which is pretty much everyone.

The saddest part in all of this in she has dated some pretty successful men who treated her like she was the village idiot when she was far from one. She has married a very nice suitable man who treats her the same and she is miserable.

So whilst this woman thinks she is doing the best for her kids she is probably doing the opposite from what I have seen first hand. pretty sad.

#18 countrylivingmum

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

What a snob!

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

roll2.gif
sometimes you just have to have a giggle at some things ....

#20 mmuc83

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Just unbelievable that she wouldbring up her kids like that - might be a very lonely world for them (and herself)....

#21 sa5ha

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

What a pretentious psycho!

With all those airs and graces, it'll be a miracle if her kids manage to grow up without becoming a***holes too.

#22 icekool

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I don't choose my kids friends but I don't let them play with ones who are bullies.

#23 rainycat

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Gosh she sounds fun. huh.gif

#24 Chocolate Addict

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

wow. She is a bit on the overbearing side! lol

My son had a 'best friend' for the last two years, (at school). He did come over for a play date here once but I was not a fan of this child so didn't get round to sending my child to his house - mainly because his mother didn't have this 6yo child in a car seat and let him sit in the front.  unsure.gif and the whole family was a bit weird.

They did go to each others birthdays but thankfully this year the child has moved schools! lol

While I didn't say he couldn't play with that child I didn't really encourage it outside of school.

#25 Ianthe

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

"'The children who come to school on time and wear proper school uniforms are the nicest and the most fun,' she told me. 'If children don't put any effort in, I don't want to play with them.'"

Yeah because 8yos really notice that stuff without parental influence.

That woman is a complete b**ch.

QUOTE (la di dah @ 21/02/2013, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My reaction was visceral relief because I feel guilty when I'm  a judgemental cow about controversial names that could have been chosen innocent of their connotations of appropriation or imperialism, so I enjoy knowing India's mother really is a stupid social-climbing British colonial t*at.

That part stood out to me too. Nothing like being a name snob with a kid named India.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.