Male PT endorsing stroller brand

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 axiomae

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm in the market for a new brand and popped over to Pram Warehouse online and saw the top banner ad has Shannon Ponton (PT from The Biggest Loser) endorsing a brand of stroller. He states that the pram is great for mothers who want to get their pre-baby body back!

Is it just me, or does that make you want to throw something at the screen? My first thought was "pffft!" Then a mix of rather negative angry emotions about him being a man and not having to worry about "getting his body back" after birth and the pressure on women to do so.

What do you think? I'm probably just tetchy because I'm starting to get annoyed at my lingering baby weight and wasn't expecting to be told that I have to consider that as a factor when choosing a new pram, grrr!

#2 mysonsmum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Oh well that must be the reason I still have some wobbly bits hanging around, I'm using the wrong pram! Silly me lol biggrin.gif

#3 archygrouseferal

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Agree.  Presenting a pram as primarily a fitness routine accessory is all kinds of wrong..

#4 axiomae

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Kinda my thoughts exactly!

#5 Jenferal

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

When he grows a human inside himself and then pushes it out after hours of pain, then I'll take his advice on what pram to buy.

Which brand was it anyway?

#6 Let_it_Rain

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I think he is totally the wrong person to be selling a pram, and it is a dumb way to market anyway.

I suspect most people who want a pram as a fitness accessory would not be happy to wait till 8 months to run with it as is suggestion.

Although why on earth are they using Iron Man and World Triathlon Corporation branding. I just don't see it.

I do think a man could sell a pram, just not that man and I don't think a pram should be sold as a tool to "get your pre-baby body back". Brad Pitt advertising a pram based on how easy it has made lugging all his kids around... much better.

It's a Britax BOB branded one.

Edited by WinterDancesHere, 20 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#7 axiomae

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

BOB strollers. Never heard of them.

#8 Ice Queen

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Now that my baby is well past 1 and I am currently quite fit, I go, meh, who cares ....its an ad.

However, 2 weeks before giving birth when I could barely walk to the end of my driveway or a month after a birth when my f$&ny still felt like it was going to fall on the floor every time I walked and my boobs were leaking and hurt to even walk past a stroll......yes I would have wanted to hurl my skinny latte at him.

#9 Jenferal

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Oh, they  are just fancy 3 wheeled strollers. Look ok but also seem to be in the $700 range.

#10 niggles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 20/02/2013, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When he grows a human inside himself and then pushes it out after hours of pain, then I'll take his advice on what pram to buy.

What does birth have to do with using a pram?

#11 76 others

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I don't see a problem with it.

Some women like to exercise. Some of these women are mothers. Maybe these mothers would like a type of pram that's designed for power walking.

He is a fitness trainer. I wouldn't not go to a male PT just because he doesn't have a body that holds weight in the same place as mine. Some women can lose body fat easier in some places than others too.

#12 #YKG

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

He propably was approached as a) his wife gave birth not long ago. B) he has clients that are mums. C) he/they are trying to encourage mums to get out and about. None of those 3 are bad, who cares if he's a guy they also push prams too.

#13 HGL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hmmm, I too avoid most advice from men about pregnancy and birth.

Just playing devils advocate, a lot of husbands/partners are involved with selecting the stroller/pram. Functionality, it's a bit like a bike or car. Maybe they're using Shannon not to appeal to women but men with a say in the purchase?

#14 niggles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (HGL @ 20/02/2013, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, I too avoid most advice from men about pregnancy and birth.

Just playing devils advocate, a lot of husbands/partners are involved with selecting the stroller/pram. Functionality, it's a bit like a bike or car. Maybe they're using Shannon not to appeal to women but men with a say in the purchase?

And perhaps to men who use prams? A pram has sweet nothing to do with pregnancy and birth.

#15 niggles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 20/02/2013, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pram is being promoting "for mothers who want to get their pre-baby body back" according to the OP.  That's not going to appeal to men.

Or maybe it would...

But unfortunately it wouldn't be the first and won't be the last ad that targets baby products at their mothers. The fact that he is male is pretty irrelevant as to whether he can or cannot promote the benefits of one pram over another.

#16 loubee

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have no issue with it. On a running forum I belong to it is a question that pops up all the time, what pram for running post pregnancy. For the record BOB is one of the most popular. I would also suggest that it is indirectly aimed at the husbands who may also be using the pram while they are out running and giving Mum some R&R.

#17 axiomae

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I guess I just found it offensive that a male was used to market a pram to women based on the effects said pram would have on her body, as if that's the only investment in buying a pram anyone would want, which is ridiculous.

I think it could have been worded better to focus on its actual benefits - that it's a great pram for running with - as opposed to the fact it could make you thinner, which is not the case, only you can do that, which I know all so well, sigh!

Edited by axiomae, 20 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#18 Coltava

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Both my husband and I LOVE our BOB revolution !!

When we were first looking at strollers, being first time parents, we hadn't heard much about any kind of stroller, just an Idea in mind of what might suit our needs. We didn't know who even manufactured which pram, let alone who endorsed any of them !!

The store that we bought our BOB from is only a small, independent business in a country town and they certainly didn't push the stroller upon us in a way that would suggest that I needed it to loose weight or that it was a 'manly' looking stroller or anything like that. They gave us useful, factual information..they didn't even mention that it was being promoted by Shannon Ponton. Even when I met the rep for BOB strollers, who came to the store AND spent an hour with me personally, going over the stroller with a fine tooth comb, not once did I feel that they were pushing the stroller on me in anyway other that the points that would suit our lifestyle.

My husband and I show and race Siberian Huskies. We are almost always outside in forests, ovals and show grounds and we needed a outdoorsy, active, can take a knock or two stroller and the BOB suited our needs to a T.

Please don't be put off a product because the way that the product is advertised. It certainly wasn't an issue when purchasing or using it.  biggrin.gif

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (axiomae @ 20/02/2013, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I just found it offensive that a male was used to market a pram to women based on the effects said pram would have on her body, as if that's the only investment in buying a pram anyone would want, which is ridiculous.

I agree with this. Whether intentional or not, it's adding to the guilt that new mums are encouraged to feel about their bodies after birth.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Even if Michelle bridge was promoting the pram I think it's offensive.

I think it's perfectly find to promote a pram as suitable for jogging. Both men and woman like to jog.
But to promote as a pram to rectify the 'hideous' state of a woman's body post birth is just once again putting extra pressure on new mothers.

It's a clever marketing ploy to niggle at the conscience new mothers who will likely feel distressed at their changed shape post birth.

So basically making woman feel sh*t again. At a time when they are lready going through a massive life adjustment complicated by wonky hormones.

So it's preying on the vulnerability of woman, dressed as trying to help them.

#21 Coltava

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

So, just out of curiosity (if nothing else lol), would you disregard considering a product, even if you thought that the product could be of benefit to your own circumstances, if you didn't agree with or were offended by the advertising ?

I actually first came across this thread when it was first started as I was looking for feedback on the BOB strollers from actual using mothers  biggrin.gif  I found that what I read didn't actually change my ideas or opinions at all, it was still the stroller I wanted.

What do others think ?

#22 BadCat

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

It doesn't really bother me that it's a bloke being used to market it.

What bothers me is the "get your fat a*se out and jog" message.  There's a whole spectrum between "here's a pram you can jog with" and "here's a pram to help you shift that ugly fat you gained while you were busy sitting around creatng life instead of busting your fat a*se at the gym ".  I think this veers towards the latter.

Still, the only chance of me buying a jogging stroller is if it does the jogging for me and just transfers the results.  So I guess I'm not their key demographic.

Edited by BadCat, 13 April 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#23 censura carnero

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

I would be happier if it was marketed as a bloke who likes using that particular pram as he enjoys exercising with it.  Not directed at new mums with wobbly bits.  Dads use prams too.

#24 CupOfCoffee

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 13/04/2013, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't really bother me that it's a bloke being used to market it.

What bothers me is the "get your fat a*se out and jog" message.  There's a whole spectrum between "here's a pram you can jog with" and "here's a pram to help you shift that ugly fat you gained while you were busy sitting around creatng life instead of busting your fat a*se at the gym ".  I think this veers towards the latter.

I agree, it is the message that is sent, not that it is a man advertising a stroller.

(I know jogging will help shift weight, I don't need to be reminded of my post baby body weight and that I need to get rid of it). If you want to sell a jogging stroller, sell it on the features of the stroller that make it good for jogging.

#25 emwill

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

As a mum and runner I like the advertisement for this pram.
I wanted to get my pre baby body back after my children and was looking for a dedicated running pram - and after lots of research the BOB Iron man pram was perfect. I also liked that is was endorsed by someone knowledgeable in the fitness industry - man or woman! He is a runner, husband and father so why shouldn't he endorse it? I'm sure it is one of the main questions he answers from new mum's who specifically ask him as a fitness trainer how to get their pre baby body back (What exercises can I do? And how to find time with a new baby? = Walking with baby in a pram is perfect! And if you plan on running when your baby gets older you really need a dedicated running pram, with lockable front wheel, brakes, and strap and THIS pram is perfect!)
What I found sort of weird with the advertisement is that he was running pushing the pram with no baby or child in it! Maybe he was practicing for when his baby was old enough to take out in it?!

Edited by emwill, 13 April 2013 - 01:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.