6 month old at funeral

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 4ngiebella

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

A good friend of ours died last Friday. His funeral is this Friday. Our boys will be in school but try as I might I cannot get a sitter for our little daughter.

Do you think it's ok for me to take her with us? She is a very quiet baby and I would obviously go outside with her if she got noisy but as I only go to funerals of those very close I don't know what the norm is.

We both want to go to the funeral and ideally we wouldn't take the lady baby with us but unless one of us don't go, this is the only way.

I guess I'm just hoping people will reassure me that it's ok. This week has already been so hard. I had hoped my support network might be a little more understanding and help me out sad.gif

#2 Angelot

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

So sorry for your loss.

Yes, absolutely take your DD with you.

#3 Mianta

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I think it's fine. I'm sorry for your loss sad.gif

#4 Chaos in stereo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Yes you can take a baby, but IME be prepared for one of you to spend the whole thing outside with bubs.

#5 Floral Arrangement

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yes I do think it is ok. Our baby son slept through my grandmother's funeral. My cousin's baby son was also not a problem. I think it is an important funeral for you to attend.

#6 4ngiebella

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thank you so much. He was a good man taken too young (42). We just really want to be able to give our respects and say goodbye. He deserves that

#7 Chchgirl

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would think so. I didn't mind little or big kids at my dh's funeral, I think your bub should be fine...

Sorry for your loss as well xx

#8 Bel Rowley

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

I agree with Chaos, I would take the baby but be prepared that someone might have to take the baby out. I was very fortunate when I took 7 month old DD to my grandfather's funeral, that a family friend was there to take her out when she started screaming. I was doing a reading and couldn't walk out (plus of course didn't want to).

Very sorry about your friend sad.gif.

#9 Mumsyto2

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Absolutely. Just sit at the back near the exit door so that if bubs starts wailing one of you can take her out until she is settled then come back in.

I've taken my kids to all funerals I have been to as they have all pertained to family but I would have had no issue taking them to a friends funeral either. To be honest I found that as babies they were no problem, it was the toddler phase that was as they get bored and want to runa round which is inappropriate. When they are older it seemed to be okay as they then moved into a morbid fascination about the whole thing.

#10 Jamelex

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

When DS was a similar age, I had to take him to my aunt's funeral. He slept in the car on the way there and I gave him a feed on arrival so he was happy and settled. We sat at the end of a row next to the side exit and I had his dummy in reach also. We didn't have any problems.

#11 MintyBiscuit

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I think it's fine. I'd just stand up the back and pop outside at the first sign of any crankiness.

Sorry for your loss sad.gif

#12 elizabethany

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I took my DS to a funeral at 5 days old, and another at 22 months.  The second one was more of a problem, because he wanted to wriggle and call out.  At 6 months, I can't see a big problem so long as you are willing to take steps to keep noise down or take him outside if you can't.

We fed DS during both services, it is harder to be noisy when your mouth is full.

#13 Mrs Bunny

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

We took our daughter to my aunt's funeral when she was about 3 mths old. I would say get there early, give a feed before hand, take a quiet toy, sit in the back row. Standing at the back for the whole service will be too much for you holding a 6 mth old (esp if you are dressed in heels) and everyone will offer you their seat anyhow, so pick a seat in the back row so you can slip out if necessary.

Funerals are important rituals in grieving and children shouldn't be excluded from them as IMO they need to learn about such rituals, particularly if they are grieving too. Obviously a 6 mth old isn't learning or grieving at this stage, but they are still part of the context. Peace be with you on Friday.

#14 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think it's fine, I agree with finding a seat up the back.

#15 4ngiebella

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thank you for the wonderful ideas. It's at 11 which is her nap time anyway so I'm hoping like mad that she will want to have a cuddle and a sleep and giving her a feed is a brilliant idea. I will hold off to get her vaccinations next week just in case as well.

I agree Mrs Bunny. I couldn't have said it better. Thank you original.gif

#16 Bluenomi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I've taken DD to a funeral around the same age. They actually had a special parents room which was sound proof so they couldn't hear DD but I could still hear the service. It was handy when she got upset and I couldn't calm her, I ducked in there.

#17 glasnost

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I agree with everyone else, I think that it is fine as long as you are prepared to go outside if bubs starts crying.

Sorry for your loss OP.

#18 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Sorry for your loss.

I took my then 4 month old to my aunts funeral. His dad stayed at home with our DD who was 20 months old. I just sat near the back so I was a,e to pop out if needed. I fed him during the service and all was fine. Absolutely you should take your little one.

#19 Carmie

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Last year my dad died and I took my 13mth old, 4yo, 5yo and 7yo. My 13mth old cried through a section of it and a family friend went to take him out but my mum wanted him to stay.

6wks before my dad died my pop died and we also took the 13mth old, 5yo and 7yo (the 4yo didnt want to come) and they were fine, but this one they got a little bored with and DH took the 13mth old out near the end but they had a video link to outside incase you needed to take the kids out you were still able to hear and see what was going on.

#20 Mrs Manager

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I agree it is fine. The last funeral we went to was for a good friends Mum, we didn't take the children and our friend and his family told us they wished we had

#21 LittleMissPink

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I took my then 4 month old to my Aunties funeral, she was fine in the pram, and when she got upset, I had my brother's girlfriend take her outside.

Edited by LittleMissPink, 20 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#22 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

We took my one-month old and my 20-month old to my Dad's funeral.  A couple of other people brought their babies along.  It was no problem.  And a lot of the older people loved seeing young ones at the funeral - circle of life and all that.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 20 February 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#23 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

It is fine (and I think expected) that a babe in arms will come with the parents.  My DS sadly came to 3 funerals in his first year.  I sort of engineered the day to get him to sleep in his pram or have a feed during the service though.

#24 opethmum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I offer my condolences to you at this sad time.
Absolutely it is fine take your baby, I think funerals should be for everyone who loved your friend, age IME is irrelevant and most people I know would hate for you not to attend because of your baby. Go but be prepared to have aids to soothe a grumpy baby and maybe sit near the door

#25 Lauren Bell

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Sorry for your loss and yes I think it's fine to take your daughter with you.

I had a close friend die early last year and DH talked me out of taking my then 9 month old (she'll probably cry an ruin it) he said. I really regret not going :-( DH is an idiot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.