my 4 yo wont stop eating.
hit tips ect

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Always amazed!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I have a 4 1/2 year old boy ( 5 at the end of may)
He is very tall and very solid. sitting at the 100% at his 4 year check.
Most prob more now..

He eats a mainly healthy diet with a few no no every now and then..

He is always hungry. He constantly eats. Its mainly fruit,,

Today i fiound  him after he had eaten 4 pears and was trying to tuck in to a frozen youghurt.

He has no problem eating dinner then asking for more food 30 mins later and sneeking out and eating 1-3 apples after bed..

Now i plan on talking to a doc ect in the near future and have talked to hubby about getting a lock for the fridge and also increasing our overall exercise as a family.
He does do BMX racing which he loves and is fairly active..

I really dont know what else i can do ..
he has been called fat by kids ect and i dont want him to suffer what i went through as a kid..
I was previously very overweight..

So anyone else have this problem???
Sorry if its a bit all ver the place.

#2 Super Cat

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

One of my boys if given the chance would eat all day. He was also 100% for weight and height. He is under the care of a paediatrician and tests revealed he had a slight deficiency with the leptin hormone. Leptin is the 'I'm full' hormone that signals you've had enough to eat. DS just doesn't feel full unless he's had far more food than he needs.

We've had to teach him visually how much is enough food. He did end up about 3kg overweight at one stage but with management his weight is now in the healthy range. I think he will always need monitoring but using visual examples of how much is enough and limiting after meal snacks has seemed to work well.

He's not into junk food, nor is he fed them, but for example last nights dinner was fish broccoli and carrots. He ate the lot, as much  as his older brother but he asked for more. We tell him to wait for an hour then he can have something else. Usually by an hour he's finally feeling full enough.

We make sure too that he has a lot of protein in his diet as this seems to help with slowing weight gain. He has protein at every meal, usually in the form of chicken or other meats.

Some kids really do have trouble understanding when they're full and they need help to visualise how much food is enough because their body doesn't give them the signal. It might pay to see a dietician as well to make sure your child is getting the right nutrients with smaller amounts of food.

Edited by Super Cat, 20 February 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#3 Always amazed!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thankyou for your reply.

He is forever telling me he doesnt feel full and wants more.
I do tell him to wait which is usually followed by a tantrum.

#4 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

DD2 is 4 and always saying she is hungry. She is very tall and looks like a string bean.

How much water dose he drink? Often a hungry child is one who doesn't drink enough. If DD is asking for food after just eating I make her have a drink.

Cut back on the fruit. It is healthy but too much fruit is a bad thing. They only need a few serves per day. Fruit is not very filling and doesn't keep them full for long . And they learn to love the sweetness too. My kids don't have free access to the fruit otherwise the would eat it all day too.

Protein and low GI foods will help to keep him fuller longer.

I know DD can't be hungry all the time.. I think she dose ask for food when she is board and just for no reason at all.

\

#5 Banana Pancakes

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I agree with the p.p cut back on the fruit. Children should only be eating 2 pieces a day. Does he like things like carrot sticks, cucumber? Because they are a much better alternative to fruit.

Items like cheese, milk, whole grains, bake beans etc might fill him up a bit better.

Good luck!

#6 *LucyE*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

What is he eating and when?

I like to load my kids up on protein rich foods for breakfast.  It helps them to feel full for longer and helps to stabilize blood sugars.

For lunch, it is usually something carb based for energy.  I go for good quality carbs rather than highly refined stuff.  So, proper sourdough bread vs supermarket white.

Dinners are usually veggie rich with a side of protein and some carbs, so big veggie stir fry with some meat for flavour and a little bit of noodles or rice.  Or a pasta bake with more meat than pasta, and lots of veggies in the sauce.  Or a meat and veg type meal but more veg than meat.

Inbetween meals, they have access to fruit and small amounts of 'sometimes' foods like cakes, biscuits, chips etc.

#7 Always amazed!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

ok normally cereal for breakfast ( week bix rice bubbles, cornflakes ocassionally a treat of coco pops )
or toadt

he just started kindy so in his lunch box he gets
1 sandwich ( various fillings Vegemite, peanut butter, cheese meat salad)
2 fruit ( either small apple, rock melon, pear or small container of grapes)
small zip lock  bag biscuits ( delights,jatz,shapes)
a small home made muffin ( no chocolate)

Still working out his lunches at school but it always comes home empty

Normally a snack when he gets home ( fruit, biscuit, sandwich)

dinner
meat & vegies
rice and chicken
tonight is tuna casseroll and vegies

we dont do dessert

He will normally grab an apple after dinner.

#8 Monket

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

That diet doesn't sound bad at all.  The fruit you are giving him is low gi fruit, good choices but perhaps a bit too much.  Could you add more protein in at breakfast and lunch?  Eggs, bakes beans for breakfast and meat on his sandwich or some hummus with his biscuits and some cheese.  I would ditch either the muffin or the bikkies and add more protein rich foods or chopped veggies instead.

#9 Always amazed!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ive tried the chopped veggies but he wont eat them.

I auctually gave him scrambles eggs and a piece of toast this morning 40 mins later he said he was hungry!

I will try and up his protein and see if that makes a difference and try and lower his fruit intake..

I have trouble finding healthy snacks that not fruit..

#10 qak

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (seeingstraight @ 20/02/2013, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have trouble finding healthy snacks that not fruit..

Cheese, yoghurt, wholegrain crackers, hummous, hard boiled egg ...

#11 LJandAJ

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Have  you tried giving him a worming tablet? The whole family would need to have one

#12 Always amazed!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yep worming is pritty up to date as one of my girls seem to get worms all the time!

#13 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

My daughter is nearly 4.5 and for the last year hasn't been a bit eater, but all of a sudden every second word is 'I'm hungry'.  She has been a bit busier with kindy and things, and I think she's mid growth spurt too.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'd be changing what cereal you are giving him for breakfast.

I'd suggest some rolled oats with fruit (porridge), or even change the weetbix for vitabrits, which have no added sugar.

Also I have low sugar levels & am never full unless I've included some complex carbohydrates into my meals. I know it's totally different to what a lot of nutritionists promote, but it's not unheard of.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 20 February 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#15 kissy10

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have the same issue with my 7 YO.

We are actively encouraging him to eat more protein, as carbs are not filling for very long and they create more hunger.

Maybe cut the cereal down or sub for protein rich breakfasts. Happy to provide options if you would like some.

Edited by kissy10, 20 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#16 Always amazed!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Maybe cut the cereal down or sub for protein rich breakfasts. Happy to provide options if you would like some.

Yes please
or even change the weetbix for vitabrits,

Actually bought some this morning!

#17 Fluster

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

My son and I just like food.  A lot.  There is no emotional connection for me, but I really like all sorts of food and, if it didn't result in weight gain, would be a total leisure eater.  Portion control and healthy choices are two things I have had to learn.  I'm working on the same with my son - he seems to be picking it up.  To be honest, though, it wasn't until I hit the stage (and my son has hit the stage now) that you KNOW you don't want to end up overweight that I learned to curb my habit.

#18 *LucyE*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

ok normally cereal for breakfast ( week bix rice bubbles, cornflakes ocassionally a treat of coco pops )
or toadt

All of that sounds like it's mostly simple carbohydrates which will give a sugar spike but won't sate hunger.  I have absolutely no expert backing for this, but I know when I have some jam on a proper sourdough toast I'm fuller than if I have a bowl of supermarket cereal.  The small amount of sugar in the jam is offset by the wholegrains and complex carbohydrates in the sourdough.

I like to have a mix of complex carbohydrates and proteins for breakfast.  So, things like eggs (boiled, poached, scrambled) with sourdough toast, or avocado/hummus/ham on sourdough toast.  Or an omelette filled with lots of goodies.

he just started kindy so in his lunch box he gets
1 sandwich ( various fillings Vegemite, peanut butter, cheese meat salad)
2 fruit ( either small apple, rock melon, pear or small container of grapes)
small zip lock bag biscuits ( delights,jatz,shapes)
a small home made muffin ( no chocolate)

Still working out his lunches at school but it always comes home empty

Again, that sounds like lots of simple carbohydrates.  Unless the bread and biscuits you are giving him are made from whole grains and slow fermented, they are digested really quickly.  I sometimes make my kids a 'ploughman's lunch' which is just meat, cheese and some veg with a dip.  It's just a deconstructed sandwhich without the bread.  They fill up on more of the protein rich foods which will give longer lasting energy rather than the breads that fill them up but leaves them hungry again soon after.  

I personally don't have an issue with fruit and treat foods 'in balance'.  Everyone's quantities will be different.  The 2 servings rule for fruit, I find a bit rigid.  If they are eating a lot of food (as they tend to do before a growth spurt), then the quantity of fruit will increase too.  So long as it is all in balance and not at the expense of other foods, I don't mind.

Normally a snack when he gets home ( fruit, biscuit, sandwich)
Same here.  I just make sure they don't have too much too late so they can eat their dinner.  I have a no food after 4:30 rule.

dinner
meat & vegies
rice and chicken
tonight is tuna casseroll and vegies

we dont do dessert

Similar, I just ensure there are lots and lots of veggies.  I also don't mind the concept of dessert because I know I enjoy something sweet after dinner.  We keep it to things like fruit or yoghurt.  And only if they are hungry enough to eat their dinner.

#19 Holidayromp

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I cannot believe the people here who are saying sourdough bread is quality.  It has nothing to it and although you may feel full initially it will not keep you feeling that way.  The more wholegrains and fibre there is to a loaf of bread the lower the GI and therefore sustained energy.

Oatbrits made by Vitabrits are fantastic too.  Porridge is excellent with pureed fruit instead of brown sugar or honey.

I found that if regular meals are eaten rather than three large meals.  Trade normal pasta for wholegrain pasta, white rice for brown rice or basmati.  Sweet potato rather than white potato.

Ensure a breakfast with wholegrains and fruit with a small piece of cheese or small can of tuna with a piece of fruit for morning tea, a salad sandwhich with low fat meat and a piece of fruit for lunch, a piece of fruit or handful of nuts/dried fruit for afternoon tea and an evening meal with plenty of fresh vegetables and protein.  Include a serve of milk and as a treat a small tub of yoghurt.

It is all about sustaining a constant sugar level rather than peaks and troughs which cause overeating and craving the wrong foods.

#20 Holidayromp

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Also rice bubbles, cornflakes, cocopops and high sugar breakfast foods like nutrigrain do nothing to sustain my kids they are usually hungry about 30 min after breakfast.  Better breakfast choices are weetbix/vitabrits/oat brits with pureed fruit and milk or two slices of wholegrain toast with vegemite and a small glass of milk.

#21 Super Cat

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

An even better breakfast choice is a vegetable omelet, or scrambled eggs with chopped vegetables in them. People need to stop thinking of vegetables as only suitable for the evening meal. We often have them at breakfast either in the form of an omelette or some sautéed mushroom, tomato, spinach and asparagus with some eggs or a slice of bacon.

Edited by Super Cat, 20 February 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#22 *LucyE*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

I cannot believe the people here who are saying sourdough bread is quality

I said proper sourdough.  The stuff at the major bakeries is not properly fermented sourdough, just normal bread mix with sourness added for flavour.

A proper sourdough is generally very heavy and dense because it is made from flour that is less refined and the slow proofing process produces a low GI bread.

People need to stop thinking of vegetables as only suitable for the evening meal. We often have them at breakfast either in the form of an omelette or some sautéed mushroom, tomato, spinach and asparagus with some eggs or a slice of bacon.

I agree but for breakfasts, my focus is the protein.  This morning we had scrambled eggs with bacon, onion, tomato and mushrooms.  Yesterday, we had poached eggs, steak, sauteed mushrooms and spinach.  

Our evening meal is an easy one to make full of vegetables because usually everyone is ready to eat a larger quantity of food than in the mornings.  That makes it easier to consume larger quantities of vegetables that are usually bulky.  We eat meat most nights but small quantities, it is mainly used for flavour.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Is he due a growth spurt?  My 4yo is being called the Very Hungry Caterpillar ATM, as she is impossible to fill up.  She's on the 3rd centile for height and weight and I'm sure she eats her own bodyweight in veggies each day.  She's going to turn into a carrot!

#24 snortle

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 20/02/2013, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is he due a growth spurt?  My 4yo is being called the Very Hungry Caterpillar ATM, as she is impossible to fill up.  She's on the 3rd centile for height and weight and I'm sure she eats her own bodyweight in veggies each day.  She's going to turn into a carrot!

My DD almost 5 just went through a stage like this, I thought it would never end,
It was a growth spurt and she was grazing constantly and saying I'm hungry every 20 mins!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.