A feminist issue
Is Victoria failing its children

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Dame Twoinaboat

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

This should be in the Venting Board, but this needs to be a public vent.

Anyone, at anytime can become a carer.  And this is what is happening to Carer's of kids with disabilities in Victoria.  The less intervention a child receives in early childhood the greater the likelihood that child will be long-term dependent on a carer, usually their parents, usually their mum.

I think it is a feminist issue.

The Age - children missing out on disability services

A couple of thoughts.

Early intervention or early childhood intervention?

Not just semantics.  
Early intervention says to me "intervention that takes place EARLY after becoming aware of the disability,". Get in there and treat it.  Intervene in the progression of the development of the disability.  Start the 'rehab' early, or ASAP.

Early childhood intervention is just intervention that takes place some time in the early childhood years - in Victoria this seems to be defined as birth - 6 years, or the year prior to school.

They are not the same thing.

Secondly, what is the nature of the 'intervention' referred to?  For our son we were offered a 2hr session in a group with diverse needs run (physical, intellectual, medical etc) by a former occupational therapist, an assistant, with a visiting speech pathologist who attended for 1hr occasionally, and didn't work with all the kids.  2years later we were offered a speech pathology appointment once a fortnight.

I am very glad for the article, but there is more to it than simply 'are services offered or not?'.  The issues go deeper into the nature, quality and amount of services provided.

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

How is this a feminist issue?

#3 Dame Twoinaboat

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Fair question.

Because the 1st 6 years of my sons life I stayed at home providing therapy to him.  When he got to school I got a job, only 2 days/week, only to be 'asked' on day 1 if he could miss 3hrs of school each day (attend for the mornings only).

He is now at school full time, but not a day goes by that I don't fast forward 11years when he finishes school and wonder if I will again be his full time carer.

He can speak a little, and what he can say is difficult to understand. I have done the bulk of the work with him , his father struggles to understand him, which makes him more reliant on me.

I want to get back to work.  In 11 years I will be 46 years old.  Government provided services were lacking, and not what my family needed.  Will services post-school be the same.

Most caring roles, and therapy roles fall on women (most, not all) this is why it is a feminist issue.

#4 Laborious Nicety

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 19/02/2013, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is this a feminist issue?

Oh come on!  How is it not?

#5 baddmammajamma

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Duffy, I just posted a somewhat related thread in Venting.

It is shocking how little is offered  -- not just in (early) intervention but also in things like respite services.

In tonight's "A Current Affair" piece on autism that I referenced in my thread, there was a woman featured whose son with autism gets virtually no intervention. She is shouldering EVERYTHING by herself. With greater intervention, he would likely be able to develop greater self care skills and some degree of independence. Instead, there is nothing.

So when she asks "I am a single mum. What is going to happen to him when I'm gone?" that is a gut wrenching question, and it is most certainly a feminist issue.

#6 Tesseract

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

It is totally a feminist issue. All caring, for children, elderly and people with special needs falls to women. I comppletely agree with you Duffy.

Duffy can you tell me what you think of the NDIS?

#7 JRA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 19/02/2013, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is totally a feminist issue. All caring, for children, elderly and people with special needs falls to women. I comppletely agree with you Duffy.

I assumed this was sarcasm, but now I am not sure.

Surely you don't believe that.

Edited by JRA, 19 February 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#8 Laborious Nicety

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

While I totally believe that disability and caring is a feminist issue, I also know it is not true that all carers are female.

My DH is a carer and a person with disability and has a penis.

#9 BetteBoop

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Of course it's a feminist issue. Most carers are females.

Most carers live in poverty while unpaid /volunteer work is considered the work of women. The contribution women make is unpaid, underpaid or devalued.

#10 smurfette14

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Just because something negatively affects females doesn't make it a feminist issue.

Parking fines affect more women than men... is that a feminist issue?

#11 BetteBoop

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (smurfette14 @ 20/02/2013, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because something negatively affects females doesn't make it a feminist issue.

Parking fines affect more women than men... is that a feminist issue?

wacko.gif

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

It's not just a feminist issue.

It's an issue that affects everyone.  Not all carers are women.

But more to the point, I don't see it as just an issue for carers. I see it more as an issue for person being cared for. Who can be male or female.

The person who needs caring deserves the funding, the facilities. Make care needed by the elderly, the disabled, special needs, a higher priority, and that in turn should make things better for the carers.
Because ultimately, what happens when the Carer is no longer able to look after them?  

With greater intervention, he would likely be able to develop greater self care skills and some degree of independence. Instead, there is nothing.

THIS is the issue. To make like better for the person with the disability. Which in turn filters through to the family who are caring for them.

#13 Laborious Nicety

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

OK so if women are by far in terms of numbers the primary carers for babies and preschoolers, that's not a feminist issue either then?  The 'choice' that many women make because their partners earn more?  That's not a feminist issue at all?

Glad to see that cleared up and that the direction my life as a carer has gone is not a feminist issue but a personal issue.  Because it makes total sense that women at home caring for children is a feminist issue but women at home caring for people with disability and unable to access super or the workforce is not a feminist issue.

Also parking fines?  LOLOLOLOLOL.

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

He is now at school full time, but not a day goes by that I don't fast forward 11years when he finishes school and wonder if I will again be his full time carer.

I have a family member who is in that situation.  Although the child isn't highly dependent, the mother has resigned herself to a lifetime of being a carer.  She has taken one holiday without children in over 20 years and that required a great deal of logistical planning.  Her marriage broke down a long time ago so she doesn't even have a partner to share the load with.  I often wonder if I could ever do what she does with such good grace.

#15 Laborious Nicety

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

My kid's day program costs over $100 a day and is one of the few that is open from 7.30 to 4pm.

Can you imagine having that cost as a permanent part of your budget?  Forever?  With no CCB or CCR?

#16 BetteBoop

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 20/02/2013, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not just a feminist issue.

It's an issue that affects everyone.  Not all carers are women.

Not all rape victims are women. Rape is not a feminist issue.

Not all people working part time are women. Flexible employment options aren't a feminist issue.

An issue involving support for children is an issue that has traditionally been solely in the domain of women. Traditionally, carers were women and that tradition continues.

And this is why support services are so poor in the first place. A child is their mother's responsibility, not the government's.

#17 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

It's unacceptable that children have to wait for so long.  

Perhaps if someone in power had a child with a disability, things would improve for the better.

#18 Spa Gonk

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

See, if I was addressing this issue from a feminist perspective, I think the emphasis would be on getting men to take equal parenting responsibility for children, extra services and support for women to be able to stay in the workplace, changing the notion that caring type roles are only done by women and the male goes out to work etc.

Where generally speaking, the main problem is that the government is not coughing up the money and does not value early intervention.  Maybe because they are mainly males, have limited experience of being a full time carer and think the mother can stay home and provide constant care and the relevant interventions.....

#19 Julie3Girls

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I guess it comes down to how you look at the issue.

Is the issue helping carers?, yes, carers are predominately women, and then you have the feminist issue of why the mother is the one at home looking after the children rather than the father, probably due to income etc etc .  Very real issue, perfectly valid.

Or do you look at the issue in a way that there should be more funding for the people who need it .... People with disabilities, people who need help. Early intervention is for the child's benefit, not the Carer's.  the person needing the help can be either male or female. Funding needs to be there for the child, to help them throughout their entire life, regardless of who their Carer is.  Things like respite for carers are a flow on affect ... Provide better quality care by having carers who are able to have a break, get the kids the help they need early in the hope that it gets them to a spot in their lives where they can be a bit more independent.  In this case, I don't see it as a feminist issue

#20 agnodice

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 19/02/2013, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (JRA @ 19/02/2013, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assumed this was sarcasm, but now I am not sure.

Surely you don't believe that.

Virtually all caring does fall on womens shoulders. It's not an issue of 'believing', it's actual fact.

QUOTE (Beetlebop @ 20/02/2013, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not all rape victims are women. Rape is not a feminist issue.

Not all people working part time are women. Flexible employment options aren't a feminist issue.

An issue involving support for children is an issue that has traditionally been solely in the domain of women. Traditionally, carers were women and that tradition continues.

And this is why support services are so poor in the first place. A child is their mother's responsibility, not the government's.

Are you serious?

Rape is a feminist issue because of the structural power imbalances that make women the predominant victims of rape.

Flexible hours are a feminist issues because of the biology of childbirth/infant rearing, and the long entrenched social and cultural dogmas that result in women continuing to be the primary child carers, and this seeking flexible work options.

Children must be society's responsibility (to care for a person who will one day form and be part of that adult society) - while the day to day parenting falls on family, our children are very much a public good - and just as important as roads, hospitals an various other services we value.

#21 JRA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 19/02/2013, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AvadaKevra: my comment was in reaction to this. ALL caring is done by women. I really should tell my husband that, who does the hands on caring of our son far more than I do, has done the caring for his elderly parents, and my aunt, and has done the caring for me while I have been ill.

And he is not the only man in the world to care. Saying that ALL caring is done by women is simply WRONG

#22 Laborious Nicety

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well FMD.

Those of you saying that my life and my limited choices are not a feminist issue?  WTF do you think I should do?  Hand over my kids and partner to the care of the state so I can work?

Can we please ignore the red herring that all carers are women?  We know this is not a fact but we also know that the majority of carers are women.  It's all lovely for those of you without kids with disability to focus on one poster's opinion but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the utter stupidity of saying my lack of choice and my life as a carer is not a feminist issue.

Utter.  Absolute.  Stupidity.  Utter.  Absolute.  Ableist.  Nonsense.

#23 Laborious Nicety

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

JRA was your partner the live-in longterm carer for those people?  Did he give up his career?  

I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

#24 BetteBoop

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 20/02/2013, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you serious?

Um no, actually.

I'm almost incapable of seriousness.

#25 Tesseract

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

JRA, sorry, I was careless with my comment. I didn't mean all carers are women, I meant that all types of caring work are generally considered a 'womens issue'. DH and I share caring equally, but it is still a feminist issue even for us because of the way society perceives that caring - for me it's expected, for him it's an act of heroism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.