Where has that nice kid gone?
It's like DD13 has changed over night!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 evek

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I guess I am just looking for some tips on how to 'cope' with the changes in my daughters personality. She has just turned 13, just started her period and it's like overnight she has changed from my chatty, loving, family oriented kid to a sullen faced teen who spends all her time in her room.

Do I pull her up every time I think she is being rude, do I pick my battles, do I sit and talk to her as if all is okay????

Sounds stupid but I have to try so hard not to take it personally. I knew this was all coming I guess, but now it is here I really miss my easy going kid.

Any words of wisdom? Please..........

#2 Duechristmasday

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Oh big hugs.  I wish I could help.  I will be entering this phase soon so will be watching this thread closely.

Good luck!

#3 kez71

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Id say pick your battles, but at the same time don't allow her to be rude to you or anyone else. This reminds me of the BBC clip of Kevin turning 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY

#4 axiomae

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Pull her up on it. Make her aware that rude behaviour is not acceptable - you wouldn't accept it from a young child yet alone a young adult. Address the behaviour and then move on as if nothing has happened. I'm a high school teacher and find that straightforward, honest, and direct communication about behaviour is the best way to get past it. Not dwelling on it afterwards really helps - it lets them know that rudeness is not okay, but you're not going to hold it against them forever. I understand it is probably totally different with your own child though and may be harder to do!

Just make sure though that nothing has actually happened to cause her behaviour. If it's a sudden change, it could be because of troubles with friends, at school or online etc. Notice when she seems down, tired, upset etc, but don't push for info. You could try saying something like "You seem somewhat off-colour today, everything ok?" If she opens up and talks, then empathise. Acknowledge how something would have been embarrassing, confusing, hurtful etc. Offer love. If she doesn't open up then she still knows you care and are there for her.

Teens are complex creatures but still need boundaries and love. Best of luck original.gif

#5 Chasing*Rainbows

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Say goodbye to your baby girl for the next 4 or so years. It's seriously like someone comes in an abducts your sweet little girl and puts in her place a horrible teenager that at times even her parents don't like.

I have 2 currently in this stage (13 and 15) and 2 that have fortunately come through the other end of it and are now gorgeous young women who I love spending time with. My only advice is stay firm, set boundaries and standards that you expect from her regardless of whether she likes it or not, and remember that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Also seriously look at who she hangs around. I never fully understood the power friends had over even my most strongly willed daughter until I was sitting in the police station with my daughter who'd been caught shop lifting at 14. While I had little control over the contact she had with these friends during school time I certainly had control of her social life after school hours. She hated me for keeping her from these girls but in the end all 3 of the other girls were out of school by the end of grade 9 and 2 pregnant at 16. Thankfully my daughter wasn't one of them. Only now does she thank me for being stronger then her and making sure she did the right thing.

Goodluck OP its a hard slog.

#6 Barefoot

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Here is an article I read about 13yo girls.

13 or The Brain Fog that ate my precious daughter.

....or, how we survived, and you can too. (This OP is available to the public on my Facebook page) Um, do you remember being a 13 year old girl? Just in case you forgot, Here you go.

Welcome to the brain fog, it goes like this:

"I don't want what I want. I don't want what you want. I don't want what you want me to want and I don't know what I want, anyway. I am going to be unhappy, even if I get what I want because I didn't *really* want it.

I want to be "different" and I want to fit in.

I do want to fight with you some, and mostly about stupid stuff, because it's how I figure out where you stop and I start, and it's powerful feeling when I can 'wind you up' so easily.

I will need *exact* instructions about how to do things that I could always do before, easily because my brain forgot how. No, really, it forgot.

I am pretty much miserable in this body that is changing so fast, but these boobs are pretty cool, don't you think?

I'm hungry. I don't want...."

Lather.Rinse.Repeat.

Sarcasm comes into play here, b/c they are 'trying that on' and sometimes it's really cool, and sometimes it is a major FAIL.

The brainfog is more a product of the Neurological changes that come with the hormones, than the hormones, directly. In my experience so far, it totally went away sometime in the 14th year.

I flat out told my teenager what I wrote up there, back when it was happening.

I said, "I bet that inside your brain sounds something like this <insert that rant from up there, in this space > and the bad news is that its truly like that in there...it's the Brain Fog,and I know you can't help most of the crazy that's going on inside of you. The good news is that it's part of neurological development. Your brain and your hormones are making you like that inside, and it will go away next year. In the meantime, we just have to hold on for the bumpy ride "

After that conversation, we would use "Brain Fog" as the code words when things got crazy sounding. We were in it together to survive the year intact. We acknowledged that it sucked, and sometimes it sucked really badly. We both lost our cool a lot, but the code word worked as an apology, too, when we didn't do such a good job.

The Big Funny is when she tells other people about the Brain Fog. I've heard her tell so many mothers and other teenagers "Oh, that's just the Brain Fog. It's going to go away in a year or so and everything will be all better."

Have you read the Ames and Ilg description of what happens in their brains that year?It's VERY telling, and totally helpful.

The thing that is most difficult about 13, to me, is the Brain Fog. The things that were easy for them at 11 and 12 are now amazingly difficult. Thisisa BIGTHINGasfaras 'setting a teen up for success' goes.

Where I used to be able to givesimpleinstructions, I had to switch over to detailed lists,becausetheBrainFog made the intuitive leaps from steps 1 to 4 that their brains could make easilypriorto BFnow require delineation in the most extreme ways.

You also have to find a new way to talk with her, because her brain just got the Big Upgrade, and no patches or fixes. She's like a big roiling hormonal "Windows Vista" with zits and oily hair. Nothing works like you think it should, it's not intuitive and it only functions if you know where the holes are and how to avoid them, until the patches get worked out and you get version 2.0

It is actually as if every single file in her head has been rearranged, and she CAN NOT find the information she previously accessed easily....like how to pick up her stuff or empty the dishwasher. No, really, she actually can't find the files that tell her how to do it. No amount of frustrated berating on the part of a mom makes this better, but it WILL make "the 14yo angries" much much worse if you can't keep your own big feelings in check this year.

Remembering to Connect before you Correct is SUPER CRITICAL.

PULSITILLIA 30C Run, don't walk to buy this for her.

Tell her to take it every time she hears the little girls in her head throwing a tantrum.

We talk a lot about the little girl in our head, at our house.

If the little girls in her head are running around screaming "I HATE I HATE I HATE" about every single thing that *actually* means "Feed me protein, pleeeeeease."

If the little girl in her head is saying "DON'T TOUCH ME! NO ONE LOVES ME! RUB MY BACK! CUDDLE ME! DON'T TOUCH ME! FEED ME FRENCH FRIES AND ICE CREAM! I'M NOT HUNGRY" take Pulsitillia, because it's just the Estrogen Poisoning and it needs a little soothing.

If the the little girl in her head is lying on the floor all floppy and whimpering, then look at her and say, "Yea, some days suck." and don't ask her why....she doesn't know, and that's ok. Feeding her ice cream or lime potato chips while sitting through the entire first season of Friends and laughing at Joey's hair and Monica's pants also works.

Does she have any regular adult chore with associated privileges that she only gets because she's a teenager?My oldest helps make the meal plan, and goes to the grocery store, and because she's there with me, she gets to choose a few non-list items to hide from her siblings for her own snacks.

Do y'all ever "run away" at the end of a hard day?

When a day has been really really crap, I look at the child when everyone else is settling in for whatever computer/tv/after dinner activity and say, "So, you ready to run away?" and if they answer in the affirmative, we grab the keys and go somewhere....dollar store, starbucks, book store, park, carwash, anywhere but the house! The key is that if you feel like you wish that you could escape/run away, it's a good bet she does, too

Your relationship is growing into what it will be when she is an adult, and transitions, even good ones, are hard. You have to seriously step it up and be The Unsinkable Mom. Her big feelings are hers and you have to be stalwart about not taking them on or trying to fix them for her, but rather, validating the feelings and helping her figure out how to solve the problems by asking leading questions, and giving her the space to figure it out. She's a smart girl. She will find all the files and put them where they're most useful, over the next three years.

You're going to be great. I know it, because you're a smart mom, and when you screw up, you're going to admit it, and apologize and make amends, so that she learns to be that person, too.

#7 FiveAus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

It's awful, isn't it? I went through it with my two girls, they came out the other side although at the time, it felt like it was never going to happen.

When my younger daughter was 16, she decided it would be better to move out of home and sleep in other peoples backyards than to live with us, and obey my quite reasonable rules.
It wasn't like she had competition for attention, she was the only child at home, she had a lovely life here, plenty of freedom, a nice big house to spread herself around in, all the cool electronic gear she could desire, unlimited internet and pay TV, a mobile phone plan paid for by me.....but nup, sleeping in other peoples backyards was apparently a better life. Long story short, it lasted 10 days and she was home again.

They make very stupid decisions at that age.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.