Just started PT and need advice
How long will I hurt, when will I see results?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 happygurl06

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

So, I had my second personal training today and I HURT!

It's been at least 15 years since I have done any kind of real excersise. I walk daily to and from school (30 min round trip) and the odd trip to the shops (1 hr round trip).  Just by doing this and eating generally well I have lost 1-2 sizes and I guess about 7kg (don't have scales).  

How long do you think it will be before I stop hurting for days after training?  I do Tuesday and Thursday so I will still be sore by my next session.

How long until I start seeing some results body wise?  Is one month too soon to see a bit of difference?  I don't want to expect too much and then loose motivation.

I have about 15kg to loose.

#2 harper_

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

You need to really be doing high intensity workouts more than twice a week to see results. Twice a week and it might take a while for the weight to come off.

#3 password123

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yep, you need to be doing more for weight loss etc.
Remember weight loss is 80% diet but if you are wanting to make changes to body shape and fat then you need to increase your days exercising.
Are you doing exercise on ten other 5 days of the week?
You may find going for a walk or bike ride on the Wednesday helps loosen you up and reduce the soreness. The soreness will improve with time too.
I know for me I have to hit the gym at least 5 days a week to see changes in body shape. 3 of those days has to be heavy weight training.

#4 MintyBiscuit

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

You're going to hurt for a while yet.

I've been going to the gym 4-5 ties a week for the last few weeks. Two of those times are for classes, and they are brutal. After the first one I could barely move the next day. All I can suggest is lots of stretching afterwards, and keep moving even though you don't want to. I generally do my classes on a Tuesday and Thursday, and on the Wednesday I tend to focus on cardio so I'm not doing strenuous weights and damaging my muscles more

#5 Feral-Lausii

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I started boot camp a few weeks ago. Prior to that I was doing my own workouts at the gym. Well after boot camp I hurt for almost a week. I do boot camp 4 days a week plus one day at the gym cardio and weights.

Keep moving,  a hot bath helped a lot at the end of my first week when I could hardly walk.  ohmy.gif

#6 happygurl06

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the replies

If I increased my walk after school drop off to an extra half an hour a day do you think it would help?  That would make 1 hour morning and 30 mins in the afternoon.

Anything I do needs to be with a 1 year old in tow.  He is ok to sit in the pram and watch my PT.

I am currently size 12 and really want to change my body shape ... Get rid of the paunch and trim the legs and flappy arms.

My diet is well balanced but not exactly low cal.

BF :  natural yougurt with muesli and diced apple
L: Tuna salad with a slice of burgen toast
D: lean meat and salad or veg - carbs wil be about 1/2 to 1 cup of rice/pasta or some sweet potato or a small jacket potato.
Drinking 2+ liters water, 2 coffees and maybe a herbal tea or two
Snacks if required are almonds, apple, cheese or avocado on burgen toast.

I'm still breastfeeding if it makes any difference.

#7 harper_

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

The walking will help a little bit, but not heaps. Has your diet changed much since you decided you wanted to lose weight?

#8 Lilymag

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I used to do 2 x 1/2 hour PT sessions per week as well, Tuesday and Thursdays. If you're doing it right it will always hurt, but you'll mostly enjoy the feeling because it means something to you. And it's usually the day AFTER the day after that hurts the most, so on Thursdays you'll enjoy the chance to stretch those sore muscles, and on Saturdays you'll be aching from the last session.

But it's great, and good on you for doing it. It can be hard to keep going when you know the sessions will be so difficult, but it's all worth the increase in strength and fitness (even if it's not dramatic weight loss).

#9 icekool

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I am also still breastfeeding. Our DD is a month older than your DS.
I run 60km a week and I am struggling to lose weight.
I only tend to lose weight when I stop breastfeeding.

#10 F1widow

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

No matter how fit or thin you are, a good PT session should hurt two days after otherwise you're not getting your money's worth. My DH has been weight training his whole adult life and has been very active and fit from childhood and he still hurts after a training session.

The big differences you will see in the next few weeks are more well-being related, like, not getting as puffed when you work out and also having more energy.

Good luck on your fitness journey!

#11 happygurl06

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yes, my diet is now minus the chocolate, snacks of honey on toast or BBQ shapes and added tge water and breakfast.

I decided to get fit, home fully loose the flab and build some muscle after I accidentally lost the weight walking.

#12 Coffeegirl

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

If you are walking it needs to be brisk, raising a sweat, almost panting walking.   That's what my PT tells me.  It will help you lose the weight, but won't tone you up.  Have you discussed your needs with your PT?  They should be altering your workout to suit your goal.  

Plus you still need to eat enough food or your body goes into starvation mode and stores everything it gets.

I started PT about 4 weeks ago and I work in the sports nutriton industry so have gotten lots of advice  from co-workers as well.   I need to drop about 20 kilos and I've given myself 12 mths to do it.  So far I've lost just over 2kg since I started in early Jan.  My GP says 500g/week is a healthy lose and I'll be more likely to keep it off.

1) fibre. You aren't eating enough - the guys at work eat broccoli with every meal to help with intake
2) switch your carb intake to your breakfast or lunch and have a lighter dinner.
3) cut the coffee down to at max one a day and watch the caffeine intact with the herbals as well
4) go onto myfitness pal.com and monitor your food intake.  It can help you find the calories that aren't 'good' calories
5) does your PT offer meal planning?  Maybe discuss this with them as well.

Make sure you are doing a good stretch after the PT session.  My guy also makes me walk for 15 minutes after a session as a cool down

I would also suggest a proper protien shake, but not until you finish breastfeeding.

If you want to PM me your email address I can get one of the guys at work in touch with you.  He just finished his degree in Nutrition and is a PT as well. original.gif

#13 meohmy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Nothing to suggest but congrats on the loss so far and good luck. Im jealous your DS will not only tolerate you doing two trips in the stroller a day but will watch you PT! Argh my clingy little ones

#14 Nataliah

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

PPs are right that you'll generally be sore after good workouts.  I've been training for years and still get pretty good DOMS.  However you won't always have that lingering exhaustion after a workout.  I can remember my first few weeks of PT sessions when I first began.  You'd feel exhausted for hours after.  Now I can absolutely smash myself, be a sweaty mess on the floor, but recover quickly and feel more energetic for it.

Stick at it, keep building up and you'll get there.  It's not all or nothing, its not now or never.  If 2 sessions are all you can do, then start there and keep going.  Get you diet right though, you won't lose weight if you consume more than you expend.

#15 happygurl06

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Wow!  Thanks guys.  Such great information and advice, it's really got me more motivated.  I have always balked at excersise and kept telling others and myself I was happy at whatever weight I was at the time (I've been up to size 16 and down to 8). But it's not just about the size anymore.  I want to have some energy and not feel like I'm dying after I take the kids to the park for an hour and chase them around.

I just truly hope that the ache is not as intense as it is now.  Finding it hard to look after the little one!  I can cope with sore muscles fit the cause, but today my 7 year old had to help me up from the floor after I read a story!

I'll get onto that website tomorrow, it will be good to track that I'm both getting enough and not too much IYKWIM.

My PT knows I'm after fitness, tone and weight loss in that order.  She has suggested swimming and also told me to walk hard enough that I can just talk but not sing.  Swimming is out unless I can find a sitter but I walk everywhere (hate driving) so I'm pushing myself and getting to school and the shops in record time!

Thanks again guys, good luck on all your fitness journeys.

Oh... Should I buy scales or do you think measurements are enough?  I really do not like scales.

#16 Bluie

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

You can take Glutamine after your workout and then again later in the day it can help relieve muscle soreness. You can get it from a supplement store or health food store.

A good workout will hurt afterwards  - I like the pain, it reminds me that I worked hard and not to ruin in by making bad food choices.

#17 Possum_gal

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've been training intensely 5-6 days a week for the last 18 months, and still hurt after training.

If your simply after changing your body shape you need to increase strength training. Walking alone isn't go to do it.

Congrats on your results so far too :-)

#18 thelms

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

What muesli are you eating? They can be very high in sugar, much better to make your own. I would add more fibre to your diet. I have been training 3 times a week since July last year and I still ache after each workout, some more than others. My fitness is so much better now.

Good luck, stick to it, it will become habit before you know it original.gif

#19 Phoenix Blue

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Can you do another high intensity work out on the weekend while someone else minds the kids?

Are you doing your PT workout in a gym or outside?

You could just repeat what you did in your session with the PT by yourself on a Sat or Sun. You'll see quicker results this way.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.