DS2 is not conforming to my perfect expectations..lol. I think DS1 was such a good sleeper, I was in for a rude awakening with this one . He is 16wks old now.
He's a bit of a catnapper during the day (does 11pm - 6am in one straight sleep and usually dream-feeds thr 11pm one ). His daytime routine kind of goes - feed, play, sleep,play,sleep, feed
He never does more than 40 mins sleep and then he's up again all smiley and chirpy. The first sleep happens about 1.5hrs after waking so for example we get :
2pm feed & change
2.30 - 3.30pm play
3.30 - 4.10 sleep
4.10 - 5.10 play
5.10 - 5.50pm sleep
(Same routine at 6am and 10am feeds also unless he wakes at 5am where I typically resettle him after his feed and he stays down until 7.30 or 8am.)
He has severe reflux and is medicated with losec once a day and Zantac twice a day. He is also on manually thickened formula as he can't keep milk down if not thickened (I gave up BFing at 8wks as he wasn't feeding well and kept vomiting entire feeds (leaving me with none left to give him). Didn't have time to express, thicken and feed it back to him (as DS1 is 3.5 and climbing up the walls due to lack of attention.). With the combination, he is no longer gulping though he does still get a lot of gas which makes him a bit uncomfortable (passing wind). I'm reasonably sure it's not reflux that's waking him
So, things I've tried so far to try and get him to sleep longer.
- tried 3hrly routine - still all over the place and just falling straight asleep with no play every 2nd feed
- tried keeping him up longer before 1st sleep (turns into complete gremlin and whole day is lost trying to get routine back). He is definitely ready for the sleep after 1.5hrs awake.
- tried resettling - not a hope of him doing that
- tried just leaving him to play in cot in hope he'll resettle - nope, loses patience and I do have to pick him up eventually.
- tried leaving him to cry for a bit (I disagree with doing this but my mum told me to try it). Whole day lost again after this one
- tried keeping him up after the 1st sleep - just passed out at end of next feed and messes up his routine.
Anything obvious that I'm missing ? Anything else I can try ?
It's driving me nuts as DS1 is feeling very left out as I get to spend no time with him as I'm constantly attending to dS2 or trying to get a teeny bit of housework done - seriously, I only get enough time to just swap around clothes washing and hang out stuff or just sort out the dishes.
Eta - he is in a sleeping bag now but was the same when still wrappedso its not startle reflex
Edited by kittycat01, 19 February 2013 - 01:12 PM.