Young children and glasses

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Colleer

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi There,

My youngest DS (4yo) was marked as high priority when he had the 4yo visual screening last thursday.

I managed to get him an appointment with a paediatric optometrist for yesterday.  It hadn't actually occured to me that he might actually have bad eyesight  sad.gif

At the appointment, the optometrist did his first test, pulled away from the machine and said ""He is very very long sighted".  He conducted further testing, during which it did start to dawn on me just how much trouble he had seeing.

There was no "Maybe he might need glasses one day.." kind of talk.  It was "Let's put these drops in and see exactly what prescription he will need.  He will have to wear them full time, we may even have to patch one eye for a while" sad.gif

Now, I know full well glasses are not that bad.  I have worn them full time since I was 5 or 6.  My husband has worn them all his life as well, though he can get buy with out them if needs be.

I just had no idea his eyesight was that bad.  The optometrist did reassure me and say that such long sightedness is something that you don't tend to observe many signs of in youngster, thought the symptoms that he described were Ben down to a tee.
- clumsiness (he has poor depth perception so would be clumsy) well - we had just attributed this to his muscle conditon which means he has low muscle tone and poor reflexes, and hence - clumsy!
- poor ball catching skills etc

Anyhoo enough of the venting side of things!

I suppose I just wanted to know how your young child adapted to wearing glasses all the time?  The fellow said that because his eyesight is so bad, he will figure out that he can see so so much better with them on, and actually WANT to wear them all the time.

Is this the case with your child?  

I picked out frames yesterday which thankfully can be almost bent in half before they break!  But even then I know it's going to be an expensive little thing to have.  I suppose I am just after any tips on keeping them safe?!

Also, how did you prepare your child for the fact that they would be wearing glasses? I have said to him how lucky and cool he is going to be because he gets to wear glasses like mum and dad, but since they won't arrive for a week, I am not sure what else I can do?

On the positive side, I am now hanging out for his glasses to come, especially now that I know just how bad his eyesight is, and how hard that must be  sad.gif

#2 unicycle

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I cannot help you with personal child stories, but: after you get these glasses, ask for a copy of his 'script ( if you feel uncomfortable about this, you can say an overseas trip is coming up and it is for if he loses them there). Then, go online and buy a spare pair for a fraction of the cost and use them for rough and tumble situations!

#3 9ferals

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I wasn't that young when I got glasses (10 years) but the worst thing my mum did (and she meant well!) was tell me how great they were.  She kept on and on about how nice they looked and went out of her way to tell every. single. person. we met "look at her new glasses, aren't they lovely".

I have never been so embarrassed in my life. It was bad enough that I had to wear glasses, but having attention drawn to them all the time drove me crazy.  I hated them and refused to wear them for quite some time - I would tell the teacher I had left them at home and tell mum I left them at school.  Soon enough though, I realised that I could actually see better with them and just got over being so embarrassed.

As your little one is still so small, it should be very different. I would just be very matter of fact about it, don't make it into a big deal.  "Here's your new glasses, these will help you see better, just like Mummy and Daddy."  And go and do something cool.

#4 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

My ds has had glasses since he was 2 (he is now 3 and a half) and had no problem he knows he sees much better with his glasses (he has 6% vision in his left eye)  and only takes them off for bath/bed time and asks for them in the morning.

He has broken the bridge bit across the nose when he was having one almighty tantrum and once he figured out they were broken he knew he did the wrong thing and was very apologetic and when we got his new frames he hasn't taken them off since.

Edited by cheekymonkeysmum, 19 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#5 iolanthe

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Relax for starters. My little one got them at 4 years old. They are the funkiest glasses, she gets great comments on them. Kids don't tend to make any comments at this age or are jealous. We just said she was lucky and gets to wear glasses like mummy and daddy and uncles, aunts, grandparents etc. She LOVES her case and cleaning cloth. We just had to remind her to put them on in the morning and she has had no hassles with them. Really it isn't a big deal. I did feel a little guilty when she pointed out things she could now see!

The only thing that shocked me was the price of the little suckers, I just assumed they'd be half price of adults not the same rolleyes.gif sad.gif  

He will be fine, we did state that you just needed to be careful with them as they can break and that you NEVER let anyone else try them on as they are especially made just for you.

Goodluck and don't stress

#6 Logical nonsense

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have had glasses since I was around 6, mine was so cool & 80's, was pink with purple, blue & green dots on them. I did were them as I could see better.
I only remember I broke them once, it was the bridge so unusable.
The lady at the shop just laughed & said it was common in kids.

My eyes did get better as I used them all the time but in year 10 I did notice they become bad again as I could not see what the teacher was writing on the whiteboard when I was sitting in the last row. Yep bad
Now I have them all the time, I do prefer them to my contacts.

#7 hills mum bec

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

OP, I had exactly the same experience as you with my DS's 4 yo eye check.  Extreme long sighted & astigmatism in one eye, I had no idea & had never suspected.  We did not make a fuss about wearing glasses, more like "here's your glasses, wear them" like you would with a pair of shoes.  My DS is now almost 12 & he hates not wearing his glasses.  Sometimes if we are going to the pool where I know he won't be wearing them I tell him to leave them at home but he would rather wear them.  In 7.5 years we have only ever had one break & it was able to be soldered & repaired, the lenses have never broken.  We have private health insurance so we get a new pair every year, by the end of the year they are often looking a bit scratched but are still fine to see through.

#8 Carmen02

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

the biggest thing i found is dont get cheap glasses! buying a decent frame makes them last longer!! my DD has been wearing glasses from 22mths old (shes almost 11yrs old now) and she adjusted wearing them extremely well it was so easy to keep them on her as she could actually see better!! But it is important to drum into him how important it is to look after them from the start.

#9 DS1979

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

My son started wearing glasses for an astigmatism in one eye after having an eyesight test at daycare, so he would have been nearly 5. He never had any issues adjusting to wearing them; we told him that one of his eyes wasn't very strong and the glasses would help it to get stronger. At first he would say "when my eyes get better I won't have to wear glasses anymore" but now he never mentions not wearing them at all. I think he realises that they make him see a lot better, infact he will always make sure that he puts them on as soon as he wakes up without having to be reminded!

At first internally I felt really sad for him that he would have to wear glasses for the rest of his life but then I realised I was just making a bigger deal out of it than it needed to be and in reality we were very very lucky that his weak eye was detected so early. At his eyesight tests the opthamologist says his weak eye is now as strong as the other eye so the glasses have really been a huge blessing.

My son started school last year and I was so surprised how common it was was for kids to wear glasses; I think in his grade this year there are around 7 or 8 kids who wear specs fulltime out of about 80 year one kids! And it's all changed now since I was at school, there doesn't seem to be any teasing about having to wear glasses these days - infact specs are rather cool!

Good luck to your son, I'm sure he will wear them with no issues at all! original.gif

#10 fionah

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I took Cam to the optometrist last year. He didn't find any problems. I could see something wasn't right, his left eye would occasionally turn in.
I took him to the GP and got a referral to see an eye surgeon.
Last week we saw the surgeon and Cam was also diagnosed as being long sighted. The surgeon would like to try and hold off for a few more months to get the glasses and get him prepared for FYOS next year.

I have had Ray tested twice by the same optometrist that missed Cams problem. I wonder if I should get Ray tested by the surgeon too?

Fi

#11 rose888

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I never wore glasses as a kid but my Dh is asian and has typical HK eyes. He got glasses for short sight age 6 so i had my children tested from 4 years old by his opthamologist.

One of my twin sons and my daughter got glasses from age 5 but they didn't have to wear them all the time. My son took to them straight away and because he wore them all the time never lost them or broke them. My daughter tried not to wear them and lost them, broke them and basically drove me mad until she found she had to wear them or she just could not see well enough to get around. Later she told me that they didn't make enough difference to her sight until she got her second prescription aged 7.

I think the difference they make to his vision will ensure he wants to wear them and this will mean because they are on his head they will look after themself.  In my sons case he loved the difference they made to his vision.

good Luck with the glasses OP!

Edited by rose888, 19 February 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#12 TheGreenSheep

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Our DS has worn glasses from 19mths old, hes now 3yr 8mths

He is severely long sighted (plus 7).

Now whilst it isnt the end of the world per se, and its easily sorted out, it is a surprise and it took a little sinking in to come to terms with it. It seemed like such a huge deal for a toddler sad.gif But we knew its not cancer and it aint going to cause lifelong health issues, its just glasses!

He hasnt had issues with wanting to wear them as he sees everything much clearer with them. We found other little kids would pull them off, but now hes older its not happening.

Everyone always comments on how great his glasses are and one mum says how she loves kids with glasses  huh.gif  but I just smile and nod.

We have extra bendy frames. Phwoar theyre expensive, but worth it. We got great advice and bought two sets with 2 lenses, it has saved us numerous times when we have had issues with screws falling out etc, and waiting for upgraded lenses (it took a while to tweak the strength) We also use an optometrist exclusively who deals with kids, as well as a paedeatric opthalmologist. The relationship we have built over the last 2 years has been worth every penny.

Goodluck OP!

#13 ourlittlegirls

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

DD1 has had glasses since she was 4. I explained to her that one of her eyes doesn't work as it should and the glasses will help with that. She got used to the glasses pretty quickly and now forgets she has them on and will fall asleep with them on or try to get into the bath with them on.

She has broken one pair in two years which I don't think it too bad for a child. For school swimming last year I put her glasses case into her swim bag and she'd put them in there. She didn't loose them.

Our hurdle was patching, DD has to wear a patch for three hours a day. It's ok now, but was very difficult at first as her sight was so bad she couldn't walk with her patch on, she just couldn't see more than shadows. Even 5 min was a battle.

She is now 6 and loves her glasses, I let her choose glasses that she likes (within reason) and she doesn't like people seeing her without them as she thinks she looks strange!

#14 polka dotty

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

My first pair of glasses were when I was around 9...they were huge coke-bottle affairs and I got terribly teased. I got contact lenses as soon as I could (in year 11) and still wear them daily.

DS(9) got his first pair at age 7, he is onto his 2nd pair now and it didn't take long to get use to them. There are so many trendy, thin frames around nowadays that they are really not obvious at all. I let him choose his own frames but I do steer him towards the cheaper ones!

Ironically, when he started wearing his to school his hair was a bit shaggy and he started getting called 'Harry Potter' (much better than 4-eyes!) - he really did look like him, and he got a real kick out of the attention so it was a nice easy transition for us.

Ditto to all the PP remarks about teaching them how to look after them. DS knows his do not come off his face unless he has his case handy to put them straight into, which meant buying a few spare cases(one for the car, one for school, etc) but that works for us.

#15 gizboo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

This was us last month!

We took our 4.5yo son to the optometrist and after two visits he was diagnosed as being long sighted (6+), he needs glasses fulltime. I almost started crying when they were doing his eyetest with drops and the picture of the dog turned into a car and then a circle as the pic got smaller sad.gif We had no indication that his vision was that bad, I felt so guilty.

Fast forward a month, and we haven't had an issue. We worried because he is our most wildest child  happy.gif , but the glasses haven't stopped him at all!! He is still bouncing around, all his friends at preschool have been very accepting. We thought we would have to fight him on the transition, but he just prefers to wear them, they help him that much.
We got him two pairs of glasses from OPSM with the 12mth insurance, and a pair of cheapie zenniopticals as spares. We have this book called Arlo needs glasses, that is awesome! Max has a spot on a shelf in his room that is ONLY for his glasses. When the glasses go off, they go there in the case, he has been very very good with that. We have the rule that he is the only one allowed to take them off, even mum & dad have to ask permission, so he is entirely in charge of his glasses. I found an online support group on facebook which has been amazing. All in all, the transition was much much easier then I thought it would be!!

#16 Feral WibbleWobble

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

DD got her glasses just before she turned 4. Given that DD is not big on change I knew getting her to wear glasses was going to be a nightmare.

At the start she flatly refused to wear them so each day we would try to encourage her with no luck. In the end I just said no choice, they are to be worn end of story. It tied in with her next eye test and I was told her eyes had worsened, so we just enforced it. Now she just puts them on most days out of habit.

Last eye exam we were told she needs to wear a patch as one eye has gotten lazy and again getting her to wear that is turning into a nightmare. She is due for her next check up so not sure what the next step will be when there is no improvement.

Good luck, hope your DS is like most of the other posters compliant kids and not my defiant one.

Edited by WibbleWobble, 20 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#17 BadCat

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

My DS has worn glasses since he was about 5.  Once he realised that leaves were in fact separate things and not one big clump he never wanted to go without his glasses.

We didn't make a big deal of it, just set a few rules about care in place and gave his teacher a heads up.  We've had very little trouble.  He's broken a few pairs over the years in one way or another but not through carelessness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.