How does one use a bus these days?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 3mummy3

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

ok this might be a stupid question but just how exactly do you use the public bus service these days in melbourne?
When i was at school/uni i regularly caught the bus and just either bought a weekly bus ticket or just paid the daily fare on the bus.

Now there is this new myki system and im a bit lost!

Some of you might have seen a previous thread of mine regarding a complicated scool run set up shared with a freind. Now on advice from some  posters in that thread i have decided  my two highschool boys will start going to school and back on the bus. Unfortunately the school bus is full so we will need to use public system. Fortunately for the boys there is a stop just around the corner from home.

So now what do i do? I assume i need to get each of them a myki account, then just top up the money in there regularly. Do the boys then show this myki card to the bus driver when they get on? Do they also need some kind of school id card to get concession fares?

And just how much does bus travel cost for a 12 and 14 year old? We are in melbourne and our travel will be in zone 2 i think (berwick).

Any help would be appreciated!!!

#2 cward

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

OK I'm in Sydney so it might be a bit different but even using the public bus I'm pretty sure kids can still use their school bus pass if they are travelling to and from school and they live a certain distance from the school.  Have you checked if they are entitlted to free travel?

#3 3mummy3

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (cward @ 19/02/2013, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK I'm in Sydney so it might be a bit different but even using the public bus I'm pretty sure kids can still use their school bus pass if they are travelling to and from school and they live a certain distance from the school.  Have you checked if they are entitlted to free travel?

As far as i know there is no free travel in melbourne? We would still have to pay to use the school bus if there was vacancies, i think $800 per family per year

#4 #YKG

go to your local train station with the boys, they need to present their consession card to get a concession myki, put money on both cards, when the boys get on the bus the put card on the scanner pad, it registers they find a seat, before getting off they touch off the same way they did when they got on.

You can top up at participating 7/11 stores and train stations, the cost of the card is $10.

#5 noi'mnot

Get them each a concession Myki card. They'll need to show proof of concession entitlement to get one, and to carry this proof with them whenever they're using the Myki. Keep it topped up.

When they get on the bus, they just tap the Myki on a special sensor. Check the website for details of fares.

It's really very simple, and a great way to get them using public transport and getting used to it as a way to get around.

#6 ma-ma

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Is there a yearly ticket equivalent with myki? If not, this frequent travelling could get expensive!

I don't think it's a silly question op! This new system is all too confusing.

#7 #YKG

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

no yearly on myki, its daily & 2 hour, its not as bad as you think ma-ma, works out the same as it did on metcards.

In all honesty its not as confusing or difficult as it seems, its just taping on and off & the  balance appears on the screen so you can see when you need to top up. This option is myki money.

Myki pass you can purchase 7 day or 365 day but it will expire in 12 months irrespective of how many times you use it. If they arent using it on weekends the myki money may be more economical.

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 19 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#8 hellsmail

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

The boys are in high school they can get a student conessiion myki.  go to a train stain and get the form for the conession card, you will need two passport photos and get the school to stamp the photos.  cost $500 for a yearly travel pass and includes a student ID card which can bee used at the pictures etc.  this entitles them to travel on any tram train and bus in victoria.  $500 cos a lot but it will save over $200 for the year in travel costwhen comparing with a concession myki and can be used on weekends.  remember that they need to TOUCH not swipe both on and off the bus  This method means you never have to top up their card and is valid till the end of Feb 2014

#9 hellsmail

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

actually yellowKittyGlen there is yearly myki for students as I have just bought 2 and there are yearly for workers cos I can get one via work

#10 mindy05

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

OP, hellsmail is absolutely right. My DD gets her yearly myki every February. She now goes out on her own using buses, trams and trains, and never has to pay any extra. Makes it a lot easier during school holidays when she can go out without relying on me for a lift. You will need 2 passport size photos. DD uses some of the small photos from the previous year's school photos. We just cut them down to size. Metro trains don't seem to be as fussy as the passport office and don't care if you're smiling or not. Go to your local manned railway station and ask for a form. Fill it out, attach the photos and drop the form in at the school to get it signed at the office. Then take it back to the station, hand over the money and they will make the card up on the spot.

#11 jojonbeanie

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

http://www.myki.com.au/About-myki/Students/Students

Did you even bother to try the Myki website?

#12 Bam1

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Why don't you save yourself time and ask your children to investigate cost, the best route etc themselves.  

I've never had to worry about how the system works for students as my children have always worked it out (catching public transport since primary school)

#13 3mummy3

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies, especially hellsmail and mindy05 for spelling it all out for me!!!

I definately like the idea of the cheaper school concession yearly passes but not sure if we have the $1000 outlay available in our budget at the moment. Will look into it.

Thanks for the link Jojobean, in fact i didnt 'even bother' looking at the myki website. I did however look at the MET website and got confused so decided to ask here instead! Will go look now though thanks.

Bam1 you make an excellent point and have got me really thinking about how i parent my teens!

#14 mindy05

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

If you, or your boys are wondering about the best way to get PT to school, you can use the Metro website's trip planner. Just put your starting and finishing point in, and it will tell you the fastest way to get there.

#15 MegzG

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

you will need to go to Dandenong Station i think as i don't think Berwick (and definately not Beacy) stations are manned stations

#16 hellsmail

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

3mummy3 I tell everyone I know about the student cards as not many people know about them.  Not much help now but Since my kids have been in grade 5 I put $20 a week away for high school stuff and with the government hand out for school kids I always have lots of money for school uniforms books and the travel card maybe its something you can consider for next year.  Also don't forget we get more money in june and you can get 6 month cards which will be valid till next feb.  I actually have enough money from my older son to pay for his 18th party this weekend

#17 BabeBlossom

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Berwick station has been manned the few times I have used it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.