Concurrent Miscarriage
Miscarriage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Meet2013

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi All,

Required your valuable suggestion for the concurrent miscarriage of my wife, i am sharing the case details with reports
She is under observation of a experienced doctor but still i want to check if any test or any diagnosis  is missed.

1st Miscarriage:-

May 2008
Report of TVS given below,
1. Uterus is bulky in size.
2. Endometrial cavity shows a gestation sac.
3. GSD measures 1.82 cm - 6 weeks 1 day.(LMP gestation age is 9 weeks)
4. No fatal pole is seen.
5. Cervical Canal is normal.
6. Both Ovaries are normal in size and shape. Parenchyma of both ovaries are within normal limits.

No cardiac pulsation noted.

IMPRESSION:-
Features are favor of Anembryonic Pregnancy

Dr suggested to surgical evacuation of missed abortion. After the evacuation another USG has been done and results are
given below,

1.Urinary Bladder:- Urinary bladder is well distended with normal wall thickness.No intramural lesion is noted.
2.Uterus:- Uterus is normal in size,shape and outline.It is anteverted. Myometrium echogenicity is normal. No obvious
focal lesions are noted in the myometrium.
3. Endometrial stripe is normal and measures approx 4mm.
4. Uterus measures 8.5 X 4.9 X 3.2 cm
5. Ovaries :- Both ovaries are normal in size and echogenicity. No focal lesion is noted in the ovaries.
Right ovary measures 2.7 X 1.7cms. and left ovary measures 2.9 X 2.0cms.
6. No free fluid is seen in cul-de-sac.

IMPRESSION:- Normal USG of lower abdomen.

Dr suggested to avoid trying for next 2-3month and advised to perform TORCHS IgG + IgM Infection test.

In TORCHS Test Rubella IgG value observed 0.48 IU/mL so Dr has suggested to take RVAC vaccination after next period and
advised to avoid pregnancy for next 3 period /2.5 months.

After completing three month we have tried for pregnancy and at that time she was having Folinex D(daily one) from
Day one of period.

2nd Miscarriage:-
February 2013
In January she missed period and preg test card was positive, So had a discussion with Dr and he asked to take Folinex D and
Microgest 200mg. Advised to perform USG after one month (LMP 12/12/12)

USG Report as on 31.01.2013:-
1. A small intra-uterine gestational sac noted with faintly delineated embryonic pole. No demonstrable evidence of cardiac
pulsation noted.
2. Trophoblastic reaction is uniform,global with regular outline.
3. No peri-gestational fluid noted.
4. Cervix looks healthy and endo-cervical canal appears collapsed.
It measures 34mm X 26mm internal OS is closed and normal.
5. Amniotic Fluid appear less.
6. A postero-right fundic sub serous fibroid (35mm X 26mm X 35mm) noted.
7. Adnexa : No obvious mass lesion could be detected.
8. Ovaries are appear normal.
9. Pouch of Douglas is clear.

Gestation : (POA : 7 weeks 1 day, LMP 12/12/2012)
Biometry : Corresponds to an average gestational maturity of 5 weeks and 1 days
GSD =  16mm : 5 wks 1 day

Yolk sacs faintly delineated.
1. Intra-uterine small gestation of average gestational size of 5 weeks 1 day at POA of 7 weeks & 1 day with faintly delineated
embryonic pole.
2. No retro-placemental pathology. Cervix : within sonographic limit

Dr. Suggested to continue medicine as prescribed before and perform one more TVS after 2 weeks.

TVS Report as on 16/02/2013:-
1. Single ,still embryo noted at changing lie.
2. Placenta (maturity :- grade - I ) is localized anteriorly/posteriorly at upper segment of uterus,well off the closed
iternal OS. No retro -placental collection noted.
3. Cervix looks healthy and endo-cervical canal appears collapsed. It measures 28mm X 21mm.
4. Amniotic fluid is adequate.
5. No Uterine SOL or anomaly is detected.
6. Andexa : No obvious mass lesion could be detected.
7. Obaries are appears normal.
8. Pouch of Douglas is clear.

Foetus :- (POA : 9 weeks 3 days, LMP: 12/12/2012)
Biometry :- Corresponds to an average gestatioal maturity of 7 wks & 3 days.
CRL = 12mm :: 7 weeks 3 days
GS = 24mm :: 6 weeks 4 days

No Cardiac pulsation noted.

Embryonic demise : Missed abortion.

Dr suggested to perform Surgical Evacuation as early as possible to avoid infection and it has been done today (18/02/2013)

Dr taken sample for HPE and POC for Chromosome Analysis. We will receive the reports after 3 days and i will share the same
after that.

I just want to have a secondary advise on this case...Is all treatment are ok or we can do something more to identify the
concurrent miscarriage. All her other reports are normal ( suger/HIV/bilirubin/hemoglobin/HBsAg/Thyroid/Hepatitis C Virus)
Till the time we are in dark and yet to know root cause of concurrent miscarriage.

#2 Snuffster

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I would trust your doctor and/or obs/gyno.

I experienced 4 miscarriages in a just over 1 year period, with each pregnancy only having 1 month break inbetween them. It took until the 3rd miscarriage for my private Obs to order DH and I to have several tests to rule out chromosomal abnormalities and other factors. It turned out that I had a clotting disorder and was on asprin for the duration of my pregnancy.

With the amount of time in between the two miscarriages, it is doubtful that the doctor would be going into this amount of testing as yet.

I am so sorry for your losses. It is truly heartbreaking, and I hope that your doctor is able to help you fulfill your dream of a family.

Edited by Snuffster, 18 February 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#3 mandala

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I am sorry for your experience of miscarriage.

I agree with Snuffster. I'm surprised that your doctor is willing to order a chromosomal analysis on the products of concept after only two losses, but it is the most appropriate next test. The other tests for recurrent miscarriage usually involve looking at clotting disorders.

Unfortunately, in most cases the cause of miscarriage is unknown. In my case, even with a history of problems associated with clotting and recurrent miscarriage, my miscarriage was deemed to most likely be bad luck.  Even if the cause had been put down to clotting problems, there are very few treatments, and those have their own side effects.

In cases of chromosomal problems, with the exception of IVF with PGD (only suitable for some chromosomal disorders), there is not much to be done either.

A pregnancy in 2008 followed by one in 2013 is a fairly signficant gap. I would ask my doctor in that situation about other fertility problems, unless of course you had other successful pregnancies in that time.

#4 Meet2013

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Thanks Snuffster & KRT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.