really need insight

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 glory30

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

hi every one

My DD started school this year she will turn 5 by the end of this march, the first couple of days are good at school, and on the third day she was a bit crancky and asked me to stay back,so on the fourth day i asked the teacher about how she is going and we had a long discussion and said that my daughter is extremely shy and she doent open up quickly,

we speak two languages at home one being our mother tongue and the other english so she had a bit of difficulty in talking she can express her needs but she is not chirpy and spun stories. she knows all the alphabets numbers upto 20 shapes , confuses with days of a week but says atleat 4-5 of them,and i asked teacher if at all its possible for me to stay with her to help her and i thought she needs that extra push,the teacher said that she is not following instruction, looking at the windows and she is not attentive this all happened after she attended school barely for 4 days and suggested it would be good if she had done ELC/kinder

exacltly following wednesday the teacher gave me a call and showed how she didnt write her name where as other kids did and when asked to pair up the two pictures that is the labell ball and the picture ball she cldnt do it and the other kids did it.and even after helping her with a marking those with the same colour she cldnt paste them in the corresponing order and how she didnt go on the dotted lines to write 1 and how she coloured all the pictures when asked to colour only things that are single how her colouring skill are poor that she coloured them all and the other kids book she showed me the kid coloured her ball with 3 colours and it was all neat with out any thing coming out, and suggested that it would be better if she does teh ELC,

i said its ok i put her in ELC and changed her accordingly but i felt the whole scenario was some thing fishy, and i feel bad for myself not giving her enough time to settle in

is my thinking right or does my child really need help and i am not able to accepy the reality please pour in your thoughts

#2 Futhermore

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think the teacher has not given her enough time to settle in and has judged her ability too quickly.  Is she the correct age for FYOS in your state or were you sending her early?  If sent early, fine, put her in ELC.  If sent on time she should be given a chance to settle in and learn.

ETA:  Lots of kids in FYOS can't write their name, colour in one colour and colour outside the lines.

Edited by ~maryanne~, 18 February 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#3 Kay1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't think its really possible to say from the examples you have given.

But the teacher has nothing to gain from telling you that your daughter would benefit from another year of preschool so I would take her professional opinion on board. Kids do learn a lot about taking instruction, paying attention to the teacher etc in preschool type programs. It will also (hopefully) help enormously with her language and confidence.

To me it sounds like you have done the right thing. Hopefully with another year she will be better able to enjoy starting school.

#4 glory30

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

hi rawr thaks for the reply she doesnt know the days of week in our language

#5 Kay1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

In terms of her age I am of the view that you send them as early as possible UNLESS there are reasons not to. In your DD's case I would say there are a few reasons not to (language, confidence etc). Obviously there are huge benefits to being bilingual but at the moment she may well just need that extra year. good luck OP.

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

From the limited information you have given here, I would probably agree with the teacher's assessment.  Your daughter sounds to be struggling with many of the skills and language that would be mastered in a preschool.  With a birthday in later March, I would be sending her to preschool for a year and sending her to Kindergarten next year.

#7 TillyTake2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

What state are you in?

In nsw she would be very young for her year plus having English not as her primary language & having never attended preschool I think the teacher may be right. I think a year of preschool & then starting kindy slightly older might be the best approach.

With language at home does she get consistency (eg English from one parent & mother tongue from the other?) or do both parents speak English as their non primary language?

#8 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

It sounds as if your child is both socially and 'academically' behind the children in her class, who I imagine are all older than her if she is not yet 5. I don't know what state you are in, but usually parents spend some time thinking about whether or not to send their kids to school if they have birthdays between December and April, and many kids in this age range are recommended to do another year of kinder by their kinder teachers.

If your daughter has never done kinder/ELC/preschool and you have sent her straight to school at the early end of the spectrum, then I don't think the teacher is bein unreasonable to suggest that you should ascend her to kinder first.

It doesn't mean she is 'behind', it perhaps just means she hasn't yet ha a chance to learn skills that would make her better able to cope with school. And trying to teach those skills at school is likely to be way more stressful for her than sending her to a preschool program for a year. I would take your teachers advice seriously.

#9 feralisles

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hi OP,

The fact that English isn't her first language might explain some difficulty understanding instructions, which could be why she isn't completing tasks according to directions.  She may understand quite well in a different setting, but with a lot of noise and activity in the classroom it is harder.

If she can't trace along dotted lines or colour within the lines yet her fine motor skills may still be developing.  She would be one of the youngest in her class - another year will make a big difference.  The combination of being younger and not being confident speaking English may leave her struggling.  It would be a shame to see her lose confidence in her ability as a learner when neither of these things have any reflection on her intelligence.

Giving her a year in ELC will give her time to develop a bit more and improve her English before she has to deal with formal learning in the classroom.  I don't think you have anything to lose by taking the teacher's suggestion, and potentially a lot to gain.

#10 Futhermore

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I just looked up SA starting ages, and yes, she is not as old as she could be to start.  

At the moment they allow kids to start at the start of the term AFTER they turn 5, but that is soon to change to:

If your child turns five before May 1, they will start school on the first day of Term One in that year. If your child turns five on or after May 1, they will start school on the first day of Term One the following year.

If the teacher was suggesting you hold your child back based on 4 days at school, I'd think she was being hasty.  But she is actually suggesting you send her to pre-school, which is the appropriate place for a child her age.

ETA:  Scrap that, I read it wrong.  I'm surprised it is that easy to hold a child back.  In QLD it is strongly discouraged, even when they are struggling in the younger grades.

Edited by ~maryanne~, 18 February 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#11 ImpatientAnna

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Has she been to preschool at all OP? If not, which is what I am assuming from your post, then because she is at an age where she could start FYOS this year or next year, then I would put her in preschool this year. I think that it is awesome that she is bilingual as it will benefit her hugely in the future, but if you guys primarily speak your mother tongue at home it might help her in FYOS with a bit more exposure to English in a day to day sort of sense. Also I do think at least one year of preschool really does help children fit in FYOS.

#12 glory30

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

thanks regularshow for the insight

thanks maryanne she is not even 5 but she fall into the eligible group so we strated her earlier and all the kids in aher class are 5+ and nearing to 6 i dont have any problem to start her in ELC in fact she started already but i just want to know whether i doing right or way too confusedabout whether i am doing the right thing

yes kay1 the teacher wont gain anything but you see its me who is feeling nervous whether i took a right decision or not and she would definetly enjoy her school with incresed levels of confidence

#13 zzgirl

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Sounds to me like a lazy, lazy teacher.  My daughter certainly couldn't read - even if it was the word 'ball' when she started school - she too did not go to kindergarten.  She been at school a couple of years now and she is flying.

I think most kids who are five would struggle to tell you what day of the week is it today, and what day was it yesterday.

I agree - sounds fishy to me.  I think she just wants your daughter to stay back so it is easier for her!!!

#14 melaine

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (zzgirl @ 18/02/2013, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds to me like a lazy, lazy teacher.  My daughter certainly couldn't read - even if it was the word 'ball' when she started school - she too did not go to kindergarten.  She been at school a couple of years now and she is flying.

I think most kids who are five would struggle to tell you what day of the week is it today, and what day was it yesterday.

I agree - sounds fishy to me.  I think she just wants your daughter to stay back so it is easier for her!!!

The majority of kids can't read so most first year of school teachers would be understanding of that - that's why they use other strategies like matching colours.

Kids are developing their concepts of time but I would expect most kids starting whoop to have developed an idea of days and weeks - often through attending activities such as preschool on certain days.

I don't think preschool is essential for all kids - but it certainly makes a difference for some children, especially those from a language background other than English.

OP - I think you have made the right decision. If your daughter is in a class with 5-6 year olds who have done preschool (ELC), and she is younger without that preschool background then she sounds like she might struggle. I'd send her to to the ELC for a year.

#15 RealityBites

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (TillyTake2 @ 18/02/2013, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In nsw she would be very young for her year plus having English not as her primary language & having never attended preschool I think the teacher may be right. I think a year of preschool & then starting kindy slightly older might be the best approach.

Really? This hasn't been my experience. My DD is mid-March birthday and is not 'very young for her year'. She also has quite a few ESL kids in her class.

#16 glory30

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (zzgirl @ 18/02/2013, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds to me like a lazy, lazy teacher. My daughter certainly couldn't read - even if it was the word 'ball' when she started school - she too did not go to kindergarten. She been at school a couple of years now and she is flying.

I agree - sounds fishy to me. I think she just wants your daughter to stay back so it is easier for her!!!

yes four days into school that really sounded fishy to me and she compared with someoone who did it really well in fact i can say wow for the ither kid who did it when i look at the other kids book and mine she really did it shabby

but onething that is poking me am i taken for a free ride to make her job easy

yes defineltly she will be more confident and she really will develop fine motor skills. infact she is the youngest in the class,so i thought its better for her and moved her to ELC, but the thing which is irking me a lot how come one can know about a kid in 4 days and totally my kid went to school for 8 days

#17 InAi

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

This is interesting. A very similar thing happened to a friend of mine.

Her DD started FYOS in Victoria last year. A few weeks into the year, the teacher raised concerns about the little girl stating she couldn't read, draw, etc and pushed for her to be moved to the ELC.

My friend decided to get a second opinion and took her DD to another school and explained the situation to them. They assessed her and decided she was fine to continue in Prep in that school. So she moved her little girl into the other school.

The child came a long way with the support of her Prep teacher. She was reading well above the expected standard, writing and certainly at the level expected at the end of Prep last year. She is thriving now in Year 1.

#18 April girl

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

My favourite (and most clever and articulate) colleague at work told me recently that she did ESL (as it was called then) as a child.
I would rather my child go now for two reasons. The teacher does sound like she is not going to be able to give your child the support she needs so you are better off not having her as your child's teacher to be honest. Also, your child seems to be able to understand concepts it's just difficult for her to communicate them.
I really think you should consider the ESL (or whatever it is called now) option.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm in two minds.

I think the thing here is that OP's child is the age where she can go to either ELC or FYOS If she had done a year of preschool, to be perfectly honest, she'd be doing the things the teacher was looking for. In the context of the site, the OPs child is obviously not doing the same things as her peer group. This can be a disadvantage.

If she is still young enough for ELC, given the fact she is an EALD child (English as an Additional Language Dialect), who has not done preschool, I would support the year of ELC. I would not support a year of ELC if she was turning 6 in March. The year in ELC will be of great benefit to her, OP, especially as a bilingual child.

I do not believe the teacher is lazy, nor that she has railroaded or been sneaky with the OP. It sounds like a considered decision based on the age of the child, her classification as an EALD student and the fact the child has not done preschool. It is possible to gain quite a bit of insight into a child in only a few days. You can learn a lot with a few assessments.

Assessments are the core of teaching and they do actually tell you a lot in a very short space of time.

Could the child thrive in FYOS? I would say she certainly could. But it will take a lot more effort to do so this year than to do so next year. I'm in favour of giving the child every opportunity to succeed, not set them up to fail. I think continuing FYOS in this situation could do that.

All the best for your DD's learning journey, OP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.