Milo....and bottles

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSky

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Would you consider adding a *tiny* amount of milo to a bottle of formula to see if baby will take it?

Baby is 8 months old and refuses formula and cows milk but drinks water from a bottle. I can't express any more than 20mls at a time. I need to be away for a night and am worried baby won't settle without a tummy full of milk. Add separation anxiety on top of that and I'm very worried!

Do I need a flame suit on?

#2 bikingbubs

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

No i wouldnt.

#3 ~kacee~

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Flame suit: yes, milo: no.

#4 Frockme

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

No. Don't do it. You'll end up having to add it every time she has one or she won't take the bottle, so back to square one. Not good for teeth or anything really.

I think you need to persevere getting her to take it. Don't give in. Maybe make up a bottle, then add breast milk to the top so it smells like BM and may taste like it at first too.

Change formulas?

#5 her mum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'd say no.

Theoretically your 8 month old doesn't know what Milo tastes like any more than they know what formula tastes like so it's not going to be something that they automatically recognise as a pleasant addition.

If they're on solids and you want to try to change the flavour, could you maybe add a little pureed fruit to the bottle, or some carrot or something?

I definitely wouldn't go Milo though. It has a heap of sugar and you really don't want to have to get into a situation where you're adding it to every bottle as that can't be good for your little one's health.

It might be different when you're away too, but I would definitely add something fresh before I tried Milo.

#6 jules77

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

No I wouldn't.

A the end of the day, it's only one night. If your baby just ends up having solids and water it won't hurt. If they are unsettled for the one night, it won't hurt either- might be tiring for whoever is looking after bub but they will be ok.

#7 Bluenomi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I suspect it is the bottle he's refusing. DD hated the bottle. Didn't matter if it was EBM, formula, cows milk, she just hated the bottle. Adding something like milo wouldn't have helped.

Either start expressing more (which I know is easier said than done since I never got more than 30mls a session myself) or don't leave him for the night.

#8 stressnless9

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I wouldn't give Milo!

my baby is almost 1 now and i make choc & banana smoothies with raw cacao that he drinks out of a sippee cup because im trying to get him to not have so much formula! he loves it and its very healthy.

#9 elizabethany

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

First off, are you planning on weaning off BM at this point?  If you want to continue to BF, I would try to express more, even though I know it is difficult.

If you want to move to formula, you can try other brands, as they all smell and taste different, and you can add BM to the formula to make it more appealing.

I found that the swapover time, while DS was getting both BM and Formula, he was very unsettled, and didn't want either the bottle of the breast.  He was much happier when it was one or the other full time.

I would not consider adding anything else to the bottle.  You could have breakfast cereal or rice cereal with formula for meals to help them get used to the taste as well.

If this is only for one night, I would try to stock up small feeds of BM beforehand, at 8 months it is more the soothing feeling of sucking that they want, rather than a full feed.

#10 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (familyequalslove @ 18/02/2013, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you consider adding a *tiny* amount of milo to a bottle of formula to see if baby will take it?

Baby is 8 months old and refuses formula and cows milk but drinks water from a bottle. I can't express any more than 20mls at a time. I need to be away for a night and am worried baby won't settle without a tummy full of milk. Add separation anxiety on top of that and I'm very worried!

Do I need a flame suit on?

No, I wouldn't do that

And yes, you probably will need a flame suit.

Build up your expressed milk into a decent amount.  Sure, it might take you a few times, but you do what you gotta do

#11 Jenferal

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Possibly try someone else giving the bottle as well. He can probably smell milk on you which is why he won't take a bottle from you.
Try a sippy cup.
Try someone else giving it in a cup.

#12 Quirk

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Another one who thinks it is the bottle, rather than the milk/formula/ebm.

Both my two boys refused bottles of EBM, but would take a bottle of water no probs. I figure they associated getting breastmilk with a cuddle, not coming out of a bottle from Dad!

Try a sippy cup, or even a straw cup. Failing that, it's one night, at 8 months he will be fine.

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Could you try giving him formula in a Sippy cup? Or, mix BM with formula?

And if it were for one night only, and nothing else was working, yes I would add milo. I'd probably resort to just about anything that would make him sick or dead. Baby custard with BM/formula mixed in?

Or, another thought is to give him some yoghurt or try cow's milk, for ONE night I don't think it would do any damage.

You could try giving the caregiver clothing you have worn with your scent on it, and they can hold it next to baby while he feeds.

Good luck.

#14 noi'mnot

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Who has been giving the bottle? Often if mum is around they refuse a bottle outright. Leave the house and get somebody else to give the baby the bottle/cup/sippy cup/whatever.

Is there an alternative to you being away? Can you take the baby with you?

I could also only express 20-30mls at a time. But, if I did that once a day for a week that is at least 140mls, which should be a pretty good start! Can you try something like this? How soon do you have to be away?

As PPs said, you can also try different brands of formulas, different temperatures, etc.

I would never give milo in a bottle personally.

Good luck, I hope you find a suitable solution soon!

#15 liveworkplay

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

No. From experience, if she is hungry enough, she will drink formula if you are not there. I found that the one of mine who had the occasional formula due to my shift work, took to Bellamy's Organic formula really easily. My mum, who has tasted a lot of different brands due to her quirk of never giving a child anything she hasn't tasted herself (hygienically of course wink.gif ) thought it was actually quite pleasant tasting unlike a lot of them.

Edited by liveworkplay, 18 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

No I wouldn't.

#17 greatwon2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'd try it  ph34r.gif

Can't believe that someone suggested not leaving as an alternative to a teeny bit of Milo..it's not poison lol

I'm thinking it probably wouldn't work tho op , formula has such a strong flavor (and stinks) that a little bit or even a lot of Milo won't cover the taste if that's what your baby's objecting to. It's expensive but could you perhaps try a few different brands of formula and see if you can find one they will have a drink of?

Edited to add a few words i missed out lol

Edited by greatwon2, 18 February 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#18 Theboys&me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Maybe get dad to give the bottle. As pp said, bub can smell your milk and associates the two with bf.

Or, try milk in a sippy cup. Some bf babes will take a cup but no bottle.

#19 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Boo to all of you.

I conviced mine to learn how to drink from a bottle by putting juice in it. No, he didn't demand it every time. No, his teeth didn't rot from one bottle of juice. No, he's not addicted to sugar.

So, yes, I would would milo or chocolate or anything in a bottle to convince a baby to drink it as a ONCE OFF.

As for the PP who said a baby has no pleasurable feelins associated with milo so it won't work - what a dumb thing to say. Milo is objectively delicious. We don't drink it for some strange association, we drink it cos it tastes good.

As an aside, if bub still won't take a bottle, try a banana smoothie in a refillable squeezie pouch.

#20 niggles

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'd fill baby up with other palatable things before I'd put Milo in the bottle.

I'd also try a very plain, tip and it'll spill out type sippy cup. It's all my son will drink milk from. He'll drink water from anything. Loves water. But milk he can take or leave and so the sippy cup is easiest. The cheap Sistema ones from the supermarket are great and last for years.

#21 Ice Queen

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

No.. I would try many many things before this!

#22 Tesseract

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I had the same problem. DD refused anything in a bottle/sippy, even breastmilk. Eventually we found a sippy cup with a very soft spout on it that she took to and she'd accept breastmilk from that.

You might also find that she takes it from someone else when you're not in the house.

As far as expressing 20ml in one go, that's not necessarily a problem. If you do that twice a day for a week you're going to get enough for an evening out. Bubs probably won't drink that much anyway.

Baby will be fine on water and solids for one night anyway. If bubs wakes up hungry then the carer can give yoghurt or avocado or whatever, plus water. But I think you'll find they'll be fine.

#23 liveworkplay

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Milo is objectively delicious.

sick.gif Milo is a disgusting, insipid malt chocolate flavour. I have never liked it.

As for the PP who said a baby has no pleasurable feelins associated with milo so it won't work - what a dumb thing to say

Sorry, how do you think we get conditioned to wanting sugar and salt in our foods? My eldest didn't eat chocolate until she was well after 2 yrs old. Not because we forbade it, because she had never been exposed to it as a younger child and so did not associate it as "yummy" Put a bunch or coriander or basil in front of her though laughing2.gif

#24 Gegemite

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I added a couple of drops of pure vanilla extract to formula when my DD started bottles to make it a little tastier. Maybe try that?

Edited to change essence to extract. Has to be the real stuff.

Edited by Gegemite, 18 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#25 ednaboo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Op I was in your position once.  About to head back to work part time, I was going to be away for 10 hours and my 10mo refused to drink from anything.  He was still having 3-4 BF a day at that point.  I even considered milo!  In the end, I expressed as much as I could and got the babysitter to spoon a bit to him, or mix it with his solids.  This was all he would take.  He didn't really start drinking from a cup until he as about 14 months old, and then it was only diluted juice.  

Anyhow, if you're only out for one evening, I wouldn't even worry about it.  Just get the babysitter to give some solids with water added, like pureed fruit and/or baby custard.  I was worried my bub wouldn't go to sleep at night without that evening feed but he was fine!

Edited by ednaboo, 18 February 2013 - 04:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.