I'm sick of being judged for 'still' breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 flowermama

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

DD2 is 16 months and is still breastfed. My MIL was here on the weekend and as always was making comments about me still breastfeeding and how at 16 months DD2 is much too old to be breastfed (she didn't breastfeed her own children and thinks they're better on a bottle after 6 months). She also was saying that DD2 is such a mummy's girl and overly attached because she's breastfed. I pointed out that she's been like that since birth, even when she was a month old she'd go crazy if poor DH tried to settle her or hold her when I was with DD1 and is actually better now than she was. I was emailing a friend complaining about MIL, as you do  biggrin.gif and she replied saying 'I didn't know you were still breastfeeding, WHY???'. Firstly what's the big deal, she's only 16 months and secondly why does everyone feel they have the right to judge/comment? I pointed out to my friend that her almost 2 year old still has bottles and that every kid is different, hers is having trouble giving up bottles and mine still wants to breastfeed. She gets annoyed when people tell her that her DD is too old for bottles and really should be off them by now, especially the overnight one, so I'm not sure why she thinks it's ok for her to criticise me. You'd think that breastfeeding is poisonous to babies from some of the reactions  rant.gif

#2 FurryTongue

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I breastfed my kids until they were 18 months and also copped it from many people. I just use to smile and say I was giving my kids the best start to life and I hardly think that is something to criticise.

#3 Dresden

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

My youngest is still breastfed, and showing zero interest in weaning.

#4 Mummzy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

bbighug.gif

I have been there! Everyone was against me still feeding my 2 year old. I just weaned him 2 weeks ago. The worst is when your Hubby is telling you to stop, and "he is too old for it". "He only wants you because of your boobs".  mad.gif

I never listened to any of them. I had no support at all. I just did what I felt was right for my son and I.

#5 anotherid

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I would just simply reply that you are following the advice of The World Health Organisation to breastfeed to two years or beyond if possible.

#6 mysonsmum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Lol it's a sad world! I first started getting questioned for 'still' breastfeeding when my son was only 3 months old, don't u know u should only do it for the first 6 weeks?? You don't want to spoil them or create habits & there is no nutrients after 6 months blink.gif . I don't even hear peoples comments anymore I'm happy my sons happy & pretty lucky I reckon biggrin.gif

#7 Jenferal

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I breast fed until January when my daughter was 2 years and 9 months.
I never really  told anyone I was still BF her because it's NO ONE'S business but my own and my daughter's.
I mentioned it to my MiL a year or so ago and she was surprised but I just said I was going to feed her till 2 yrs as per the WHO guidelines.
If you don't want to be judged, don't tell anyone. Sad but true. They can't comment if it's not brought up or seen, but that does depend on if you feed in front of others, we only fed at home the last year or so.

#8 I'msoMerry

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Ignore them and enjoy this lovely time with your DD!

You cant go back when you stop.
I can not understand why people say anything negative about it. I dont know why some people continue with bottles after one year old, but it is not my place to judge them.

I have had arguments with people who think I am mean to my DD at 2 years because I limit her salt and sugar intake. I just say you do what you want, I am being a good parent! I just dont accept their criticism.

#9 Roobear

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I am tandem feeding DD 25 months and DS 7 months and get that comment in regards to DD all the time :/

#10 Loulla

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Your DD is very fortunate to have such an educated and caring mummy who follows the WHO guidelines. Good on you, she will reap the benefits her whole life original.gif

#11 flowermama

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the support. I don't go out of my way to tell people, but every single time my MIL comes to visit it's one of the first things she asks - 'are you still feeding her?', often accompanied by a 'tsk tsk' sound and a head shake when I say yes...it drives me crazy.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I can't say I've had one comment about still feeding DS2 at 18 months.  Which is strange, because I did get quite a few - both negative and positive - for feeding my older 3 to between 12 and 21 months.

#13 Zarlias

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Someone asked me in a surprised voice over the weekend if I was 'still' feeding.

My son is 7 weeks old.

#14 FEdeRAL

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I find that our parents' generation has a different attitude to breastfeeding because formula feeding was so popular back then. And some of those who judge have never done it or didn't have a good experience with it. Before I had my babies the first time I learnt that a friend was still BF her 2 yr old I was a little bit  blink.gif. Then I had my taste of what BF feels like, and when another friend told me she was still BF her 3.5 yr old I secretly hoped DD would last this long too!

#15 maxsmum1000

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (anotherid @ 18/02/2013, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just simply reply that you are following the advice of The World Health Organisation to breastfeed to two years or beyond if possible.

AMEN the recommendations are given for a good reason!!

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 18/02/2013, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I breast fedAMENmy MiL a year or so ago and she was surprised but I just said I was going to feed her till 2 yrs as per the WHO guidelines.
If you don't want to be judged, don't tell anyone. Sad but true. They can't comment if it's not brought up or seen, but that does depend on if you feed in front of others, we only fed at home the last year or so.

My son is 21months and still BF'ing 2-3 times per day, unfortunately I have taken to not telling anybody he still breast feeds and only doing it at home or privately due to the 'looks' and snide comments you get. I think this is wrong and unfair, why are we constantly judged and not supported?!

Keep doing what you and your babe are comfortable and happy with!!

original.gif

#16 Anemonefish

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Great job for 'still' breastfeeding, OP, you continue to do what you feel is right for you & your child, and try to ignore people's judgement. Just smile, nod and carry on what you're doing. Focus on the praise and positive things you hear.

I breastfed my DD for 4 yrs and DS for 3.5 yrs. I feel it has been very beneficial to them. My DD was clingy when she was little too, I think that's normal. She's now a very balanced, fairly independent, bright and very healthy 9 year old. Thankfully most of our family & friends were supportive, or if they disagreed then they kept it to themselves, but I did have a few friends who would make comments. One male friend once told me I should let my husband reclaim my boobs, and I shut him up by saying, "What makes you think he doesn't have access to them now?". Another friend said, "Oh, at this age, breastfeeding is more for the mother than the child"  wacko.gif

#17 VintageEyes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I BF DS until after he was 2. Got a few "thats wierd" comments, mostly indirectly, which were quickly retracted when I revealed I was still BF.
But the thing that made me mad was that these comments normally came from those who had FF and were still giving a bottle to help them sleep etc...like thats different how?

#18 lucky 2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I reckon when some people have nothing to find fault in they go looking for something, you'll do.
Lots of people don't understand the bfing relationship and think it is just about milk, but if it's not "just" that for you and your child, then it's not and its understandable that some others wont get that.
It's just weird for some people.
If you keep doing whatever you and your child want then they will see that things can be done differently and the world still keeps turning.

#19 Bluenomi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

My MIL was the same, she was demanding to know why I was still feeding DD past 1. Um because she likes it, it's good for her and I want too? I also pointed out the WHO recommendation to be told 'that only applies to babies in the 3rd world'  rolleyes.gif

She bottle fed her kids from birth so thinks breastfeeding is not the done thing.

#20 Mille-Mille

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I had so much trouble bf'ing DD, this time around i'll be stoked to make it to 6 months and ecstatic to make it to 1 yr.  Anything beyond that will be gravy, if anyone gives me crap about it then they can go jump.

#21 mysonsmum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Also when I don't like peoples attitudes I sometimes say it's what's best for her, but I can understand why u didn't though, it's not for the faint hearted! Don't get me wrong I would never judge any body for their decisions BUT if they want to judge me they should be prepared to get a taste of their own medicine wink.gif

#22 Smoo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (anotherid @ 18/02/2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My father keeps telling me that is only for 'developing countries'  wacko.gif

Good for you OP, DS is still going at 2, do what is right for you and ignore everyone else. I've found the worst are the ones who didn't breastfeed and feel that you breastfeeding is somehow saying they did a bad job (I don't think this)

#23 Walkers

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

I am still bfeeding my 21 month old son and at this point he shows no interest in weaning. I've had a few 'he doesn't need it at this age' type comments from my mother which I find annoying. Now that I am pregnant again I am getting told that I will have to wean soon for sure  rolleyes.gif  Love the look of horror when I respond with 'no actually I'll just tandem feed'.

#24 Tesseract

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 18/02/2013, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lots of people don't understand the bfing relationship and think it is just about milk, but if it's not "just" that for you and your child, then it's not and its understandable that some others wont get that.

This. My MIL is a very nice woman and doesn't give me crap about "still" breastfeeding at 2 years. But she never breastfed herself (although I think she wanted to) and doesn't understand. Unless you have fed a toddler you don't understand the complexity and the depth of that relationship.

MIL has said stuff like "she only wants you for one thing", or "she doesn't need the milk" - while I could take this badly I don't think she means it in a bad way. This is because she doesn't understand that for a breastfeeding toddler breastfeeding is so much more than milk. It is closeness, comfort, security, mum, sweet yummies. Yes they can survive without breastfeeding, just as they could survive without their teddy or blankie - does that mean we ought to take that away too?

It is absolutely biologically normal for a human child to continue to feed through toddlerhood. Natural weaning usually takes place sometime between the ages of 2 and 7, with the mean being 4.

You're doing a wonderful job, don't let ignorance turn you off mothering the way your heart is telling you.

Usually when someone says "are you STILL feeding?" I put on a big smile and say "Yes, isn't it great?!" Followed by:
-She was sick last week and it was so comforting for her, plus it stopped her getting dehydrated
-It is such a lovely way to reconnect after a day at work
-I love all the extra cake I can eat, it burns so many calories
-The WHO recommends feeding till 2 years, we're nearly there!
-It fixes all the boo boos

If I'm feeling like being a bit shocking I tend to say "yes well the global average age of weaning is 4, but I'm not sure we'll get that far."

And when people ask when I'll stop I answer "Well, let's not get ridiculous here, I'll definitely stop before she goes to University."

#25 somila

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I BF 15 months and 22 months for my respective children.  

Ignore criticism and do what you want.  Pull the critics up if they continue to question your decision when you've made your reasons clear (as in "Why not?  There are so many positives and no negatives.").  Ask them to stop bringing it up as you find it annoying.

As Shakespeare said:  "Feed on, MacDuff!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.