6 weeks of stims for IVF?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sgd2013

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and just looking for some IVF advice and support because I don't feel like I'm getting any from my doctor or fertility clinic. I'm starting to feel extremely overwhelmed and my hubby doesn't know how best to help me.

I am 26 years old with stage 4 endo (which was removed 18 months ago and again on January 8th this year), PCOS (which was treated on January 8th as well), high prolactin (currently under control on bromocriptine) and blocked fallopian tubes. My hubby is 27 and has some minor sperm motility issues. We are currently undergoing our first cycle of IVF (ICSI) antagonist protocol.

I have been stimming for 10 days now. I was on 100mg of Gonal F. I've also been taking orgalutran since day 4 to stop ovulation. I had my first scan last Friday and the doctor didn't even tell me what was happening, just that my follicles were too small at this stage so he increased my Gonal F injections to 125.

I went for my second scan this morning at my doctor's clinic and although I have lots of follicles in both ovaries (he didn't tell me how many, just said "lots" and I could see maybe 10 follicles in each ovary) he said the largest is measuring 6mm and they need to be at least 18mm before we trigger and go for EPU.

From scouring the forum here and other similar forums I haven't heard of anyone with follicles measuring only 6mm or less after 10 days on stims. Is this normal??

The doctor wants me to keep stimming until this Friday and increase to 150 Gonal F. He will then scan again and see how I'm doing. By this stage I will have been stimming for 14 days.

He said he strongly believes it will take another couple of weeks for me because my PCOS and endo are effecting my ovaries and it will take a lot longer for my follicles to grow. He said not to be concerned because he will keep stimming me for up to 6 weeks before they cancel my cycle.

Now I am SUPER confused because I've never heard of anyone stimming for 42 days straight!!! I am super tired, bloated and sore already and don't think I can stand stimming for another 4+ weeks. Has anyone else stimmed this long???

I've heard stimming for too long over-matures the eggs and they're less likely to fertilise later. I don't want to go through all this trauma (both physical and emotional!) for up to 6 weeks just to have to cancel the cycle at the end. I would rather rest for a month and then start again.

The only thing my doctor has recommended is that I drink as much powerade as possible. I've read mixed reviews about powerade/gatorade stopping hyperstimulation. Has anyone had success with this? Is there anything else I can do to help my follicles grow?

Please help!

Thanks,

Sadie

#2 bree18

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I don't have much IVF experience. About to start my 3rd stim but I would have thought stunning for that long wouldn't normally be done. I would have thought they would cancel the cycle but I could be wrong as I really have no idea other then what my clinic have told me. First stim I didn't trigger until day 14, pick up on day 16 so fingers crossed this is what happens for you.

#3 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I would assume they would only be doing small increases because of the PCOS and worried you will over stimulate (first IVF's are all 'trial' to see how you respond)

With my first IVF, I started off at 300 Puregon, but I had done 3 IUI's with injectables before this and they knew how I would respond.

#4 Moo point

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'd be quite concerned too - I did three full stim cycles (with PCO, I don't have the fullblown syndrome) and never stimmed longer than 12-14 days. My understanding is that it is mirroring a normal cycle, where ovulation would be around day 14, but the injections ensure that more than the standard one follicle are being matured to increase the numbers of eggs for IVF. My FS was also concerned about hyperstimulation and started me on around 100 Gonal F, increasing to around 150 by the end of the second week. However, I was monitored almost every day, and the drug was altered with minimal increments - sometimes from 125 to 137.5, then back again. I was monitored VERY closely because of PCO, follicles are more likely to respond too well rather than not at all.

My antagonist cycle chart that I filled in each drug amount only goes to Day 20 - it doesn't make sense to me that your clinic can say you'll stim for 6 weeks! If you're already feeling sore and bloated I would be VERY concerned and getting in contact with them again.

And you are correct, even though you are artificially stimulating the eggs, they reach maturity within 2 to 3 weeks. Even if your follicles got to 18mm over the space of a few more weeks I can't imagine the quality of the eggs would be any good.

I am not an expert, but having been through this process three times I am very, very worried for you. Are you with one of the big fertility clinics? This is from my clinic's website - it even says that stimulation of ovaries is only 2 weeks:

http://ivf.com.au/sites/ivf.com.au/files/a...nt_2-3nov11.pdf

I would be calling them now to find out what is going on.

#5 sgd2013

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your responses. It basically confirmed my feeling that something isn't right here!

I spoke to one of the clinic nurses this morning and she said my doctor is the only one at the clinic that likes to take his patients past the recommended cut-off for stimming. She said it doesn't usually end with viable eggs and I might like to look at canceling this cycle. I can't believe we weren't warned about this before we started!

We are going to stay on the 150 of Gonal F and see what happens at my scan on Friday (which will be day 14 of stims) and if my follicles are growing really well then we might stick it out and see what happens (but definitely not go past day 20 of stims). If my follicles still aren't growing then we will be canceling on Friday even if the doctor doesn't recommend it.

After this cycle has ended we are going to transfer to a different doctor at the clinic but unfortunately can't get in to see them until April. I feel like I've been taken for a ride by this doctor, spent a lot of money on this and invested all my emotions in it and now I'm just back at square one again purely because I have a doctor who didn't offer me the care I deserved or monitor me as he shoul have. He didn't pick up until it was way too late that I wasn't responding to the stims. I feel very deflated. ddown.gif

#6 Princesspeachzz

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

So sorry to hear you,re having a bad time with your first ivf. If you,re looking for a recommendation for a good understanding dr in Sydney pm me. Am really happy with mine and would recommend them wholeheartedly.

#7 Wickl

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hi, I'm no expert on IVF but I have PCOS so I can relate to your story as I stimmed for 3 weeks (not as long as 6, but still felt like a lifetime!!!). The thing with PCOS/PCO is that if they increase you too much at the start, you can end up with LOTS of small follies and high E2....they need to do it slow. I am glad you are waiting til your next scan to make a call as my response changed over 3 days (ie went from nothing to the cycle having to be cancelled due to too many follies -I'm doing times intercourse so that's a problem!!). If it doesn't cost you too much extra, I would ask them to monitor you as regularly as possible. Good luck!!

#8 Wishing2011

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

I only did one antagonist cycle and my natural cycles were very short to begin with anyway. I think I was put on 200 and they monitored my bloods and dropped me back a bit so that I didn't over stimulate. When I had the ultrasound the lady soon the ultrasound got me involved and had me wrote on a piece of paper how many were on my left and right ovaries and the sizes of the bigger ones on each. It isn't nice being kept in the dark and if I was you I would be frustrated too as I loved knowing what was going on. I think I was told to trigger the day after my ultrasound showed an 18mm follicle.
Good luck with it all! I went through Genea (in Sydney) and could not fault them. I was kept informed every step of the way.

#9 sgd2013

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thought I might give an update! I moved my scan to this morning (Thursday) because I was fully confident we were going to cancel the cycle and I'd even booked in to see a new FS next week. I figured canceling today meant one less day of nasty injections (I'm getting a lot of side effects sad.gif ) and would allow me to start the recovery process and begin planning for our second cycle.

But guess what? The doctor saw at least 10 follicles on each ovary, all measuring around 16mm or bigger now so we're going to give them a couple more days to grow, triggering on Saturday and going for EPU on Monday morning. This will be day 18 of my cycle. Hopefully the eggs aren't over mature by that stage.

I'm still not happy with my doctor and plan to move to a new FS if this cycle doesn't result in a BFP but I'm pleased that my body has finally started responding. I'm unsure how my biggest follicle could go from 6mm on Monday to more than 16mm on Thursday. I'm thinking perhaps the doctor didn't measure me correctly on Monday.... rolleyes.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.