study with a baby..
do you have a routine?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stressnless9

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

So i have finally picked something to study, which is a massive thing for me because i talk myself out of everything!!!

I'd like to know how other SAHM do it? Do you have a routine or just fit it in when you can? would it be any better/worse doing 1 whole day a week or a couple hours here and there over the week?? If i can avoid too much weekend study i would like to because DP works really really long hours during the week so i like to have as much family time over the weekend as we can, especially when my 2 SS are here.

It will take around 100 hours to complete the first cert. I have a near on 1 yr old he sleeps from 6-6 or 7-7 and has about a 2 hours sleep during the day. The 2 hour sleep is when i rush around doing dishes,washing,sweeping etc.

I have thought about a day at daycare so i can have almost a full day of study (i could power through it then) but i feel a little guilty/unsure of daycare. I do have a few family members more than happy to take him for a day each week too (means i have to do a total of 1.5 hours driving though) I am thinking either of these choices will be the best,rather than trying to do some each day as i do quite a bit of picking up,dropping the older 2 back and forwards from their mums & school.

#2 antsy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

If you are someone that can stick to a routine, then it would really help to make one. I am personally someone who hates routines, and I end up getting stuck with studying for the entire weekend because I couldnt commit to a plan. I wish I could change this about myself. So if you dont mind a bit of structure, make a plan and try to stick to it.

I also found it easiest to study at night after the kids are in bed - a couple of hours a night seems to work well.

As for daycare - I have been considering it too because I got a bit overwhelmed in the past, especially when the assignments were due. Give things a try without it first, and if you find it is too much then you can always decide to put him in. Good luck with it all  smile1.gif

Edited by TooManyToys, 18 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#3 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hey original.gif I am doing it at the moment. DD is 9 months old and it is a bit challenging getting the motivation to get stuck into it, but is do-able. I think the day in child care is a good idea, at the moment I study in dribs and drabs, and when essay/exams come around  I rely on the grandparents to baby sit a day or two so I can have some undisturbed thinking/processing/writing time.
Next study period I plan on being more organized because I am doubling the study load.

#4 Beancat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I got preg with DD in my first year of a grad dip ed.  She was born 6 weeks before the start of semester 1 and I also had a 3yo DS.  This is what I did and it worked ok.

Left DS in CC 2 days a week and studied when DD was asleep.

Once she was about 8 months old this didnt work anymore as i could only get short stints of work done.  I had a lot of reading to do and really needed the time to digest what I was reading.  From 8 months I put DD in CC 1 day a week to get the bulk of my work done on that one day (it coincided with one of DS's days).  I'd then do another 3-5 hours on top of that whenever I could fit it in - usuaually from about 8-10pm.  

Do you have to do placement for your course?  This may be another consideration for CC if you need to.

#5 LovingTheBeach

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

Like you, my DH works long/odd hours and can't watch DS for me very often and I do try (except at exam time) to spend Saturday as a family.

DS is now 10months old and I went back to uni when he was 3 months. We had no routine simply because he refused to have one! I just studied when I could, whether he was sleeping (day or night!) and my mum and Nana would come over once a week or so and let me study for a few hours, it might be worth the travel for you once a week to get a few hours study in?

If your listening to lectures, I downloaded them and listened in the car or while out walking or even while your doing dishes.

DS has started 1 day per week of daycare as I will be returning to work next month, but on that day I get as much as I can done. He is quite happy to be left there and smiles as i leave. Depending on your course and other centrelink benefits you receive, daycare can work out quite cheap ($5 per day for me until I go back to work) and may be cheaper than using petrol to drive to your relatives houses.

Good luck!

#6 Studybug

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi there

When I returned to uni 18 mths ago I found having certain days to focus on study with DS in care to suit me best.  We did have family lined up for care but they changed their mind at the last minute so the first 6 months was a bit all over the shop with me missing uni, DS in daycare a couple of days and my mum and SIL helping out when they could (Very much appreciated those two lovely ladies!!!!).  

Also, during assessment times or when I'd fallen behind work as I'm the world's best procrastinator, I'd be at uni studying whilst DH and DS did whatever they did on the weekends.  Studying at night when child in bed doesn't work for me unless I'm motivated by a looming due date.

You may have to try out a few options and work out what suits you best.

Good luck and Congrats on finding a course of study you're interested in!

Cheers.

#7 stressnless9

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

No placement and mostly done by correspondence (except exams)

Yeh i think the drive will be worth it! I'm so easily distracted by him so i really think if im doing a bit each day i wont get that much done LOL hes too cute and funny not to be distracted by ha ha!

Nights is also another option too!

#8 MuppetGirl

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I started studying at Uni 2 years ago when my eldest 2 were 4 and 2. I now also have a 3 month old and will be returning to studying in just under a month.

I schedule all my classes on one day so I am only out of the house for a single day. (Some semesters this is not possible but more often than not it is).

I study at night once the kids are in bed and when needed I also study on the weekend when my husband can watch them for a few hours or my parents.

It is nigh on impossible to study properly if you are the one responsible for the children at that time.

I schedule as much as I can but always with the knowledge that it needs to be flexible. I don't think you can study and be a SAHP and try to be too rigid with scheduling at the same time.

If you use daycare then I think booking an extra day each week which you will use for study only is a really good idea.

The trick is to be prepared. Never leave what you have to do until the last minute. Start work as soon as you can in the week so if something does go wrong, child gets sick etc you have already started prep.

#9 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think try our a few different routines and see how it goes. Personally I don't think I could focus for a whole day of study Tounge1.gif

#10 Froger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

My youngest is now three, but I have studied through three babies. I'm an external student with a few scheduled classes everynow and then.

I don't really have a daily routine as such - I just fit in studying whenever I am able to.

But I do make sure to follow a weekly study timetable that I make up for myself. I make sure I have all my readings and everything completed by the end of particular weeks, and planning for assignments and assignment writing planned for a particular week. Studying for exams etc. put down for particular weeks. Then as I get free time during the day or evening, I just work towards getting everything I had planned for that week completed.

I currently have two at home, the rest go to school. I haven't so far put the little ones into childcare, as I've always managed to study around them. And I also think by the time I organise them to go to childcare, drive them there, drive back etc, I've wasted a good hour of my day anyway. Then I have to do the same again to pick them up. Plus as a single mum, this year I when I went to enrol them I found the extra cost is now a bit too much for me with the recently raised JET fees.  sad.gif

Anyway, the three year old is now having a bit of a tanty, so I am using this opportunity while I can't study for the screaming about "Ironman isn't on tv right now and I'm devastated"  to have a quick look at EB. It is all about learning to make the best use of your time.  wink.gif

Also I often put dinner on in the morning. I just chuck everything into the slower cooker, and it's good to go.

Edited by SarahM72, 18 February 2013 - 01:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.