study with a baby..
do you have a routine?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stressnless9

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

So i have finally picked something to study, which is a massive thing for me because i talk myself out of everything!!!

I'd like to know how other SAHM do it? Do you have a routine or just fit it in when you can? would it be any better/worse doing 1 whole day a week or a couple hours here and there over the week?? If i can avoid too much weekend study i would like to because DP works really really long hours during the week so i like to have as much family time over the weekend as we can, especially when my 2 SS are here.

It will take around 100 hours to complete the first cert. I have a near on 1 yr old he sleeps from 6-6 or 7-7 and has about a 2 hours sleep during the day. The 2 hour sleep is when i rush around doing dishes,washing,sweeping etc.

I have thought about a day at daycare so i can have almost a full day of study (i could power through it then) but i feel a little guilty/unsure of daycare. I do have a few family members more than happy to take him for a day each week too (means i have to do a total of 1.5 hours driving though) I am thinking either of these choices will be the best,rather than trying to do some each day as i do quite a bit of picking up,dropping the older 2 back and forwards from their mums & school.

#2 antsy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

If you are someone that can stick to a routine, then it would really help to make one. I am personally someone who hates routines, and I end up getting stuck with studying for the entire weekend because I couldnt commit to a plan. I wish I could change this about myself. So if you dont mind a bit of structure, make a plan and try to stick to it.

I also found it easiest to study at night after the kids are in bed - a couple of hours a night seems to work well.

As for daycare - I have been considering it too because I got a bit overwhelmed in the past, especially when the assignments were due. Give things a try without it first, and if you find it is too much then you can always decide to put him in. Good luck with it all  smile1.gif

Edited by TooManyToys, 18 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#3 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hey original.gif I am doing it at the moment. DD is 9 months old and it is a bit challenging getting the motivation to get stuck into it, but is do-able. I think the day in child care is a good idea, at the moment I study in dribs and drabs, and when essay/exams come around  I rely on the grandparents to baby sit a day or two so I can have some undisturbed thinking/processing/writing time.
Next study period I plan on being more organized because I am doubling the study load.

#4 Beancat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I got preg with DD in my first year of a grad dip ed.  She was born 6 weeks before the start of semester 1 and I also had a 3yo DS.  This is what I did and it worked ok.

Left DS in CC 2 days a week and studied when DD was asleep.

Once she was about 8 months old this didnt work anymore as i could only get short stints of work done.  I had a lot of reading to do and really needed the time to digest what I was reading.  From 8 months I put DD in CC 1 day a week to get the bulk of my work done on that one day (it coincided with one of DS's days).  I'd then do another 3-5 hours on top of that whenever I could fit it in - usuaually from about 8-10pm.  

Do you have to do placement for your course?  This may be another consideration for CC if you need to.

#5 LovingTheBeach

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

Like you, my DH works long/odd hours and can't watch DS for me very often and I do try (except at exam time) to spend Saturday as a family.

DS is now 10months old and I went back to uni when he was 3 months. We had no routine simply because he refused to have one! I just studied when I could, whether he was sleeping (day or night!) and my mum and Nana would come over once a week or so and let me study for a few hours, it might be worth the travel for you once a week to get a few hours study in?

If your listening to lectures, I downloaded them and listened in the car or while out walking or even while your doing dishes.

DS has started 1 day per week of daycare as I will be returning to work next month, but on that day I get as much as I can done. He is quite happy to be left there and smiles as i leave. Depending on your course and other centrelink benefits you receive, daycare can work out quite cheap ($5 per day for me until I go back to work) and may be cheaper than using petrol to drive to your relatives houses.

Good luck!

#6 Studybug

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi there

When I returned to uni 18 mths ago I found having certain days to focus on study with DS in care to suit me best.  We did have family lined up for care but they changed their mind at the last minute so the first 6 months was a bit all over the shop with me missing uni, DS in daycare a couple of days and my mum and SIL helping out when they could (Very much appreciated those two lovely ladies!!!!).  

Also, during assessment times or when I'd fallen behind work as I'm the world's best procrastinator, I'd be at uni studying whilst DH and DS did whatever they did on the weekends.  Studying at night when child in bed doesn't work for me unless I'm motivated by a looming due date.

You may have to try out a few options and work out what suits you best.

Good luck and Congrats on finding a course of study you're interested in!

Cheers.

#7 stressnless9

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

No placement and mostly done by correspondence (except exams)

Yeh i think the drive will be worth it! I'm so easily distracted by him so i really think if im doing a bit each day i wont get that much done LOL hes too cute and funny not to be distracted by ha ha!

Nights is also another option too!

#8 MuppetGirl

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I started studying at Uni 2 years ago when my eldest 2 were 4 and 2. I now also have a 3 month old and will be returning to studying in just under a month.

I schedule all my classes on one day so I am only out of the house for a single day. (Some semesters this is not possible but more often than not it is).

I study at night once the kids are in bed and when needed I also study on the weekend when my husband can watch them for a few hours or my parents.

It is nigh on impossible to study properly if you are the one responsible for the children at that time.

I schedule as much as I can but always with the knowledge that it needs to be flexible. I don't think you can study and be a SAHP and try to be too rigid with scheduling at the same time.

If you use daycare then I think booking an extra day each week which you will use for study only is a really good idea.

The trick is to be prepared. Never leave what you have to do until the last minute. Start work as soon as you can in the week so if something does go wrong, child gets sick etc you have already started prep.

#9 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think try our a few different routines and see how it goes. Personally I don't think I could focus for a whole day of study Tounge1.gif

#10 Froger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

My youngest is now three, but I have studied through three babies. I'm an external student with a few scheduled classes everynow and then.

I don't really have a daily routine as such - I just fit in studying whenever I am able to.

But I do make sure to follow a weekly study timetable that I make up for myself. I make sure I have all my readings and everything completed by the end of particular weeks, and planning for assignments and assignment writing planned for a particular week. Studying for exams etc. put down for particular weeks. Then as I get free time during the day or evening, I just work towards getting everything I had planned for that week completed.

I currently have two at home, the rest go to school. I haven't so far put the little ones into childcare, as I've always managed to study around them. And I also think by the time I organise them to go to childcare, drive them there, drive back etc, I've wasted a good hour of my day anyway. Then I have to do the same again to pick them up. Plus as a single mum, this year I when I went to enrol them I found the extra cost is now a bit too much for me with the recently raised JET fees.  sad.gif

Anyway, the three year old is now having a bit of a tanty, so I am using this opportunity while I can't study for the screaming about "Ironman isn't on tv right now and I'm devastated"  to have a quick look at EB. It is all about learning to make the best use of your time.  wink.gif

Also I often put dinner on in the morning. I just chuck everything into the slower cooker, and it's good to go.

Edited by SarahM72, 18 February 2013 - 01:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Christa Engles was changing her baby's nappy when tragedy struck.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.