Alleged link between MMR/Autism
Video

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 *RockTot*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

My friend just posted this on her FB page.

MMR vaccine/Autism link confirmed in Breaking news today  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mmVzXnPrvc...eature=youtu.be

I havent had time to watch it all yet, but I'm wondering what you all think?

(I hope this isnt a can of worms I'm opening)

Edited by Therese, 18 February 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#2 Rachel70

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't the Andrew Wakefield is someone I am willing to listen to or trust.

#3 Water Dragon

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I haven't watched it yet but just wanted to say, yeppers, I bet you've opened a can of worms. Be ready for this thread to get ugly!  rolleyes.gif

#4 Water Dragon

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

There's so much bunkum out there that videos like this (I watched the first few minutes and gave up - super unprofessional and silly) make me very cranky. I don't vax to the schedule but made an informed decision to do that; I didn't form an opinion by watching videos like this.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Andrew Wakefield wouldn't know how to conduct ethical, unbiased research if it bit him on the bum.

He is no longer a doctor. His medical board removed him from their register.

The journal that published his "breakthrough" fully retracted their publication of it.

This man should be ignored on anything do with vaccines and autism.

ETA Yes OP, definitely a can of worms!

Edited by Paddlepop, 18 February 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#6 Zarlias

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Reading the comments posted under that video made me want to throw things.

Why do we give this stuff air time?

#7 raone

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

They want to hang people! That really makes me want to believe what you are saying... not!

If you are going to try to prove something perhaps you should leave the death threats at home. rant.gif

#8 purplekitty

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I only watched 30 seconds before multiple alarm bells sounded.
Alex Jones,Infowars,Mike Adams and Andrew Wakefield.

None of them are trustworthy and the legitimate autism sites shun them.

Alex Jones and Infowars
"Jones has been the center of many controversies, such as the one surrounding his actions and statements about gun control after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting,[18] and has accused the US government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing[19], the September 11 attacks[20], and faking the Moon landings.[21] He asserts that the US government is run by a global conspiracy of cultists who believe that by using the drug DMT they can contact interdimensional aliens called "clockwork elves".

#9 raone

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

And I hope this doesn't upset any parents of kids with autism, but I personally would rather a beautiful autistic child than a dead one. Or the potential to kill or harm someone. Thats what I don't get even if it were true why would you expose your or someone elses child to possible death?

#10 IamzFeralz

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (*RockTot* @ 18/02/2013, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend just posted this on her FB page.

MMR vaccine/Autism link confirmed in Breaking news today  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mmVzXnPrvc...eature=youtu.be

I havent had time to watch it all yet, but I'm wondering what you all think?

(I hope this isnt a can of worms I'm opening)

I just googled "MMR + Autism + vaccines" in Google news to see if other newspapers/TV stations etc were reporting this and making mention of a new peer reviewed study just out  that we could check out but......nada.

rolleyes.gif

Maybe this thread should be moved out of the special needs section?  

#11 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Omg I just realized this is in the SN section sad.gif

Not cool.

#12 BetteBoop

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

The title should have an alleged in it, no matter where it goes.

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Flick to 32:27 and you will see a cartoon of President Obama stylized to look like the devil.

Seems legit.

#14 protart roflcoptor

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

I could google up a thousand more videos on conspiracy theories that would carry just as much weight as that one.

Why start a thread about it?

#15 Water Dragon

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_fembo @ 18/02/2013, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flick to 32:27 and you will see a cartoon of President Obama stylized to look like the devil.

Seems legit.

roll2.gif

I think this is a troll thread, honestly. There is no discussion to be had of this.

#16 Therese

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have closed this for review.

I have moved this, and changed the thread title as there is not a confirmed scientific link between MMR and Autism. It has been moved to Misc as it is more appropriate there.

I know this is a really emotive topic but please remember forum rules when posting.

#17 Cat People

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Lord I can't believe I wasted 10 minutes on it.  I gave up when the host said even Donald Trump spoke of staff members who vax'ed their kids, and BANG, next day they were autistic... and it happens ALL the time.

And then he went on to say he donated to the Gun Owners Association of America.

The whole thing - which I admittedly couldn't finish - was FULL of conspiracy theories.  I support parents' right to not vax, but I do not support that sort of "information" being passed off as facts.

#18 Cat People

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Back2Insanity @ 18/02/2013, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasted 30 secs.  roll2.gif
As soon as I saw the name, I clicked the cross

You should have stuck around to read the comments.  Apparently ASD didn't exist before vaccinations, and neither did cancer?!  The government wants all to have ASD and cancer because....?  They didn't explain that bit.

#19 baddmammajamma

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not even going to waste my time opening the link..I think Wakefield should be behind bars for the damage that he has done around the world.

(Pooks, I bet Fox news will find some way to tie the uptick in autism diagnoses with President Obama's time in office  rolleyes.gif )

If any of my "friends" on FB shared this crap as "breaking news," I'd be de-friending!

#20 Beancat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Back2Insanity @ 18/02/2013, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dr Andrew Wakefields theories have all been disproven many times.

Some information on him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

He was banned from practised medicine after it was discovered that he falsified his study. So no I will not be listening to anything this person has to say.

Exactly.  And The Lancet (the peer reviewed journal that originally published his work) retracted his publication a couple of years ago.

This man is a fraud and dangerous

#21 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Omg this again doesn't this come out like a couple of times a yr.

I don't know who Wakefield is but seriously can people not think some children have ASD and some don't and just because some children have the symptoms of ASD after the 18 month shots can't it just be a coincidence otherwise every child who's had that vaccine would have ASD.

My son didn't start to have the quirks/symptoms of ASD till 2 and a half and he had the 18 month shot at 18 months a it took a yr to take hold?? I doubt it.

My beautiful son has ASD because that's the way he is and I would never Blame anything because I would never want to blame anyone/anything for my son being so beautiful caring delightful and affectionate.

Edited by cheekymonkeysmum, 18 February 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#22 codygirl

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Really? We have to do this again? Really?

#23 PrincessPeach

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Wasn't there a recent discovery of a test that could detect Autism from about 6 months of age?

#24 blackbird

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Back2Insanity @ 18/02/2013, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dr Andrew Wakefields theories have all been disproven many times.

Some information on him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

He was banned from practised medicine after it was discovered that he falsified his study. So no I will not be listening to anything this person has to say.

This.

My son is autistic, he was at birth not that I realized at the time I just thought he got over stimulated easy and was independent.

Oh and we had no idea until he was 5 and we only were concerned about his speech really, I felt socially awkward growing up sometimes and thought maybe he was just a bit like me, apparently I was have had aspergers lol oh well, and I never had that vaccination till a teenagers if I had it at all

Edited by blackbird, 18 February 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#25 Madnesscraves

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

The video link should be removed. There's no need to scare parents or spread the word of this stupid video.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.