Which car to buy for 3 seats - help!
Meridian AHR x2 & new Maxi Rider

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 blenheim

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

I've checked the sticky thread but there aren't too many newer models listed.  We need to get a car ASAP (I'm 36 weeks).

Our list is

-Citroen C4 Picasso
-Kia Sorento
-Hyundai Santa Fe
-Mazda CX9 (probably too thirsty for what we want)

We don't want a Territory and don't really want an even bigger car like a Grand Carnival or iMax.

All the cars on our list are a bit dearer than our original budget so I just want to make sure there isn't a cheaper option that will fit our seats ( Meridian AHR x 2 - one will be RF and the new Maxi Rider).

Anyone had luck with a Camry fitting 3 seats?  A Forester?  A run of the mill Commodore (although not really keen on this option).  Some type of Mitsubishi or Nissan?

We HAVE to decide this week and it's hurting my indecisive pregnant brain!

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have a Citroen Picasso and it is great. 3x45 cm seats makes it easy to fit three across.

ETA have you thought of changing your seats?

Edited by lsolaBella, 18 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#3 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have a Meridian AHR (T&A version) and it is AFAIK the widest seat on the market at the moment, the new SNS Compaq & Infa Secure Neons/Kompressor are designed to fit across the back seat of many cars, the new Maxi Rider is good though because it is narrower than the previous model.

If you got the Grand Picasso no doubt you could fit those seats across but if you got narrower convertables you would probaby have more options car wise.

There is a Renault Grand Scenic that takes 3 across the back row with even splits like the Citroen.

I have also heard rumours that the new Volvo XC90 takes 3 across the back but I don't know if that is accurate.

Good Luck!

#4 blackbird

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Most sedans will fit 3 car seats if you get the right seats, I just downgraded to a nissan pulsar and with seat belt extenders I can get 3 seats in there.

Which is funny because I used to have a big nissan Maxima and thought, oh there is no way 3 seats will fit in there butwith the right seats I could have.

#5 Natttmumm

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Not one you mentioned but we have a klugar and it fits 3 seats.
Not sure if its the right price range but we love it

#6 Katie_bella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I have a forester and can fit two infasecure kompressors with a maxi rider in the middle with a seatbeat extender. The Outbacks have an extra 20 cms across the backseat, that will be our next car upgrade. I would look at getting new seats before a new car, unless you need the new car biggrin.gif

#7 Eirinn

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

We have a Camry with three seats, think it's a 99 model.

ETA: we have a Meridian, a Hipod Senator and a HiLiner.

Edited by Eirinn, 18 February 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#8 jules77

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

We have a 2010 Forrester and have a FF Meredian AHR and a maxirider AHR and there is no way a 3rd seat will fit.

Apparently 3 seats will fit though, so in the event of a 3rd baby coming our way, we'll get new seats.

#9 Jess1308

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

We have a Volvo XC90 which is a 2006 model, had three seats across the back on the weekend as a friend was visiting with their 3 yr old. I love it, its a very comfortable and economical car to drive.

#10 ~ppp~

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

-

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 01 March 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#11 ~RM~

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

we just bought a Volvo XC 90 once we realised we could buy one second hand for less than some of those cars new. Its not too bad on fuel, and although bigger (prob similar to a santa fe) its sooooo much nicer to drive, and was easy to get used to after a week or two.

And it is amazing for safety features.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Renault grand scenic is 45/40/45 cm seats the middle seat is slightly slimmer.

#13 MARsmum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

We have a seven seater Mitsubishi Outlander that easily fits three seats across the back.  I have also had a Nissan X-trail and hired a Camry.  Surprisingly, the Camry had the most amount of room!  I think most larger cars can fit three across the back however you may just need to buy some slim line seats.  When we bought the X-trail we had a Maxi-rider which we had to get rid of as there was no way that would fit with two other seats!  Good luck!

#14 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I've done 3 across the XC90 with two Meridians and a Compaq

And while I originally didnt want to get a 4WD, I love this car now. I really like it with one seat in the back row up so I don't even have to do three across and can still use the middle row built in booster if necessary.

#15 MamaMoi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

We also have the Volvo XC90 and I have fit 3 carseats in the middle row. 2x Meridians plus a Hiliner. I just checked the Britax site and the Hiliner is 455mm versus the New Maxi at 460mm so I am fairly sure you would fit your sets in the XC90.

Edited by MamaMoi, 18 February 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#16 lbj

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

2012 Mazda 6: RF  (new) Compaq, babylove ezy combo (older model) and a new Maxirider all fitted comfortably. For the RF seat I need a tether strap extender though, as the anchor point is down near the floor. You may be able to get one on runout as the 2012 plates are now superseded. (FWIW, once the compaq is FF, it still fits well, although maybe a meridian wouldn't fit so well as they are a wider design)

#17 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Does anyone know if the new XC90 has three ISOFIX points across or just the two, that was what I had heard but I am not sure if it's true...

I know they have the two stage integrated booster seats.

#18 adl

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Gf has just got three seats in the X Trail,  the Mazda 6 also fit 3,  the 9 is so wide that it doesnt fit into car parks at shopping centres as another GF got it and hates it as gets scrapped all the time...and she has trouble parking so has to take DH car to do the shopping...

We are looking for a new car as well,  two seats,  I am interested more in the boot space or lack thereof!!!  

So I take the pram etc with us,....

#19 IsolaBella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Citroen C4 Picasso has huge boot space for a car only 1cm longer then a Mazda 3.

Volvo only has two Isofix points. The Citroen Picasso  three in the middle row plus one in the front seat.

#20 ednaboo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I would think 3 slim seats would fit in your Camry.  I currently have a 2007 Subaru Liberty, which is another mid size car and I can fit 3 seats.  It is tight but it works.

#21 MamaMoi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (sparkler @ 18/02/2013, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if the new XC90 has three ISOFIX points across or just the two, that was what I had heard but I am not sure if it's true...

I know they have the two stage integrated booster seats.

I have a 2013 model year XC90 and it has 2 ISOFIX points in the middle row, outer seats.

ETA sorry, just noticed IsolaBella already answered this!

Prior to the Volvo we had a VW Passat wagon which I managed to fit 3 carseats in. It was a brilliant family car.

Edited by MamaMoi, 18 February 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#22 Witchipoo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

We have a SnS Hi Liner SG, SnS Maxi Rider AHR and a rear facing SnS Premier in our VZ Commodore.  DD1's seat is in the middle and uses the sash belt which she can do up herself otherwise I have to lean over DD3's seat to do it.

The seats fit in comfortably and DD1 and DD2 can also use the pull out cup holders that are on their carseats.

#23 Ohhmum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

We have a Honda crv with a maxi rider, sns royal and a hipod senator. Its tight, but totally doable.

#24 Cheekyrascal

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

We have a 2012 Subaru Forester with a rear facing SnS Compaq, a forward facing SnS Compaq and Haven. It's a bit of a squish but it works. Definitely not having any more kids!

#25 blenheim

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks so much everyone - some really great suggestions.

We definitely, definitely need a new car - we have a VW Jetta and there's no way 3 seats would fit.  I actually had a (sort of) look at the Toyota Prius V today, which has seats similar to the Volvo (by the sounds of it) - although it has 3 Isofix points in the middle row.  We'll take one for a drive on the wekend.

We could buy new seats if we need to - just a question - do people buy used seats?  We've never had an accident and they're in perfect condition - if there's no market for them, I guess we could use them as second seats for grandparents etc?

Edited by blenheim, 18 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.