Your weight loss tips...

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 3'sACharm

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

So i've let myself go big time and i'm at the heaviest i've ever been at 70kg but see the thing is i'm only 5" 1 so i'm short! I need to get up off my a$$ and lose some weight and I want everyone's tip to what helped you lose the weight. I know that healthy eating and plenty of exercise is the key and I am in no way looking for an easy way out but sometimes it just something simple like eating a different food or trying something different that really made the difference. So what is your weight loss tip?

#2 Snot stew

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Avoid processed food as much as you can.

Only eat when physically hungry, stop when satisfied, not full to bursting.

#3 nicknick

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yes lots of fresh foods, limit your alcohol consumption, limit carb's after 3pm (i.e. rice, potatoes, breads etc) and exercise. My husband did this at the start of his weight loss and has lost a few sizes, he feels so much better and it's been a real lifestyle change for him. He has found running is a passion and great way to reduce stress. Goodluck, certainly not just a week thing I have found it's been a real shift he needed to make.

#4 Cuddlesnkisses

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Weight lose is 80% food. You can exercise until the cows come home, but if you aren't watching your calories then there's no point.

My way to lose weight is a low HI diet (human intervention) the less a food is handled in processing the better. Ie fruit is better then tinned fruit. Home made salad better then bought salad. Butter over margarine.  

If you want to be really healthy, if it doesn't walk, swim or grow, don't it.

#5 PatG

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Tracking calories helps keep you accountable for what you eat and see how different foods compare to each other.

#6 harryhoo

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Michelle Bridges 12wbt... if you can afford it. She does all the thinking and calculations for you and it really helped me get a good mind set and change my habits. Otherwise I would suggest cutting out sugar... you would be surprised how much there is everything! I had to search for muesli, sugar, pasta sauces etc without sugar... i lost two kilos in a week when i did that but it was just before I started 12wbt.

#7 FeralHez

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Avoid sugar

Exactly what the others said about simple fresh real food. Batch cook if time/convenience are a factor (for whom is it not!?)

Regular protein

Plan your food in advance as much as you can

Plan when and what exercise you will do

Drink water

Drink lots of water.

One step at a time may work better than a cold turkey change.

No quick fixes. Slow and steady and maintainable lifestyle changes.

Edited by HezzaB, 17 February 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#8 bikingbubs

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Eat less, move more.

#9 sa5ha

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Actually consciously think about what you're about to put in your mouth.

Eg. I often ask myself "Do I really need that chocolate biscuit or takeaway coffee?" or "Do you want the biscuit or do you want to be skinny? when I'm at work and feeling snacky.

#10 Elemental

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ it's good for checking just how much food you're putting in your mouth.

#11 Taystee

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

I would also ask yourself WHAT you are trying to achieve by weight management.

For me, weight management is about health- preventing metabolic complications such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease etc.

You can modify those risk factors with only moderate weight loss and decent exercise- even incidental exercise is beneficial for reducing metabolic complications.

But if you want to look slamming hot in a size 8 dress then yes, calories in, calories out!

#12 JaneLane

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Aim for at least half an hours exercise everyday.

Limit carbs, alcohol and sugars.

Try to drink 2 liters of water every day

Drink a large glass of water before eating. You can also add an apple if needed to help fill your stomach so you don't  need to eat as much of the meal before feeling full.

Count calories and aim for about 1200cals per day.

Edited by blue4me, 17 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#13 Canberra Chick

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Track food via something like my fitness pal to see how much you are really eating.
Avoid waste calories like creamy iced coffees, sugary soft drinks. Swap full fat for skim milk, decide if you really need butter on that bread or just the topping.
Build muscle! I cannot emphasise this enough. There is no point flapping your arms at some aerobic class a couple of times a week. You would be far better off putting on muscle (lean, women are highly unlikely to bulk up) as muscle requires more energy to maintain it than fat, so even when you're not exercising, your body is using more energy.
This has got me through weeks where I have been sick and cannot exercise. I have not gained weight in those weeks, just held station.
Move as much as you can. Walk when you would stand, stand when you would sit etc etc.
do not eat in front of the TV or on the go, be mindful and enjoy your food. Drink plenty of water.

Oh, and avoid stupid fads that say no carbs after three, eat nothing after six, fruit is the work of the devil etc. your body does not sit there going 'oh that's. carb eaten after three, better turn that into fat'. Calories in less than calories out, no matter what those calories are from or when they are eaten will equal weight loss. Basic physics.

Edited by Canberra chick, 17 February 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#14 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Payday is weighday (assuming you get paid/centrelink fortnightly). Every time I stop doing this, I start gaining.

#15 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Keep it simple.

Eat fresh untouched foods such as meat, eggs, milk, fruit and vegetables

Avoid proceesed foods and that includes margarine and sugar in all forms

Have healthy oils - olive oil and organic coconut oil

#16 FiveAus

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I've joined Weightwatchers Online and I've been at it for two weeks. So far so good, I've lost a little bit, I'm inspired to keep going. I find that following a proper weight loss program works better than just "watching what you eat" because I tend to just watch it as it goes into my mouth and justify it as it goes in.

I have a lot to lose, I'm seriously VERY overweight but I have small goals. First up is to lose 5kgs and be able to jog a short way without being out of breath. 100 metres. Slow jog, should be an easy goal, I'm working on it.

I am walking for a half hour each evening and loving it more with each step.

I am enjoying Weightwatchers because there is nothing ou can't eat. You're allocated a set amount of points per day, all food is allocated points and you add them up as you eat. And when you've reached you score for the day, you stop eating.

Most fruit and vegetables contain no points, so you can eat as much of them as you like. The trick is to spread your protein and carbs fairly evenly through the day to give yourself enough food to keep you going and not get too hungry. But if you have something that contains a lot of points, you need to eat less other food. So far I am not feeling deprived, and now I've found banana ice cream, I'm set for life!

#17 ***MEZ***

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

I was waiting for the 'drink lots of water' brigade. I can honestly say that I drank no extra water every time I've lost a substantial amount of weight. I have no idea why this would help you lose weight. It's certainly not satisfying.

#18 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (***MEZ*** @ 17/02/2013, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was waiting for the 'drink lots of water' brigade. I can honestly say that I drank no extra water every time I've lost a substantial amount of weight. I have no idea why this would help you lose weight. It's certainly not satisfying.

Water helps with weight loss by keeping your metabolism firing along. If you don't keep hydrated your metabolism actually slows down leading to slow weight loss or no weight loss. 2 litres of water a day is all the average person needs.

#19 Nataliah

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Another recommendation for myfitnesspal, including the forums.  There's some really knowledgeable people on there who can answer this question really well, from a science-based perspective.  There's alot of bad advice in this thread, sorry...

#20 haras1972

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Break it down...

I'm 7 kilos down since mid December, with a mere 30 kgs to go... Yikes!

Anyway, I spent 4 weeks just weaning off sugar in my tea and all coke products... Didn't worry about anything else but these two addictions/bad habits..

Started meal planning, which helped me avoid the very limited unhealthy work lunch options - it's a packed lunch for me everyday now. Takeaway at night is also now zero.

Started drinking a lot more water and herbal tea.

As a family agreed to limit dessert to 3 nights a week.

Worked out that DD and I will ride to kinder.

Have lost the first 7 kilos without really calorie counting or thrashing away at the gym, but by just working on bad habits, and spots in our schedule that end up in bad food choices.

Feeling so much better already and feeling very committed to start "working" at this next 30 kilos...

#21 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#22 IamAuntyA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Healthy weight loss is not about losing as much weight as possible quickly its about making changes that you will be able to stick to... I highly recommend baby steps..

I was addicted to cola (coke & pepsi) so I cut that down to 1 glass a day (lunch or dinner), if I slipp I drink 2 glasses of water after it. I could have cut it out completely but I know if I did that I would have binges and drink a whole 2 litre bottle in 1 sitting, so cutting down on it slowly is the healthier option for me. If I have any other sugary drinks that day I will not have my glass of cola.  

I made a only eat food prepared at home rule (or others homes) unless we were going out for dinner for a special occasion. I also use minimal processed foods. Fresh is best.

I alternate between a 30 minute walk or swim every morning and we go for a 40 minute walk/jog every night (mainly for the dogs benefits) and I do group fitness classes or gym 3 times a week. My partner always walks with me plus every morning and plays sport twice a week.  
If you walk every night try walking in the morning also or walk a few more ks and see yourself do it quicker and quicker every week. Walk to the gym/train/work/school instead of driving. Join a sports team.  

Set yourself goals, write them out and put them somewhere you can see them. Taking photos of yourself to see change is also a good idea.  

Good luck to you or who ever you are getting the advice for
original.gif

Edited by imatrying, 17 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#23 GenWhy

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

My tip is to drink nothing but water. No soft drink, no coffee, no cordial or iced teas etc JUST water. It took me around 3 weeks to wean off Pepsi max, coffee and diet cordial. Now I only drink water when I'm thirsty and I'm not taking in all the easy to consume calories.

I also only use coconut oil - no vegetable, canola or olive oil. It's actually quite nice and the healthiest oil you can consume as it's natural and has been proven to boost your metabolism.

Eat breakfast! You need a kick start! Doesn't matter if it's fruit or an egg or a piece of chicken etc. just make sure you don't skip this meal.

Eat off a bread and butter plate so you are controlling your portions.

Cut out takeaway and processed food - packet foods etc are the worst for sugar and bad fats.

I've lost 7.5kg in 4 weeks from doing this.

Myfitnesspal app or online is brilliant too

#24 Gone-Country

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

I've lost 15 kilos. I still have more to go, but so far I have dropped 15.

I had to admit that I was boosted along by a dodgy gallbladder that ended up coming out last month. I couldn't eat much at all and it kick started the weight loss I needed. However one of the main things I have found helped is reducing portion sizes. I was eating way too much. It didn't matter how 'healthy' it was, if it was 3 times the size of what I should be eating, then chances are it was going to gain me weight.  I still eat what the rest of the family do most nights, but small portions.  I also exercise. Most days I walk at least 5kms.

Good luck with your journey.

#25 Canberra Chick

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (*SnowFlower* @ 17/02/2013, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the human body is quite complex and smart. Your body knows that it shouldn't be consuming food after dark for instance as the digestive system has an internal clock and naturally starts to slow down when it get's dark. If you continue to eat after dark your bodies hormonal system is also messed up and can not do it's job of using food as fuel and it ends up storing it instead. This is to do with leptin and other hormones.

Show me the papers that confirm this!  My GP told me that this is crap. It's more the fact that eating later in the night is more likely to be junk food in front of the TV that is the problem.
I eat almost half my calories after six PM and I have been steadily losing weight since July and am pretty much at my goal weight now and even stayed on track over Christmas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.