Evening primrose oil and raspberry leaf tea

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 miss_heidi

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I was reading that EPO and raspberry leaf tea are recommended in the latter weeks of the third trimester to assist with labour.

So I went out and bought some EPO tablets, and then read an article that says that EPO in fact is NOT recommended in late pregnancy as it can increase the risk of waters breaking with no progression of labour.

Which is the correct advice?! Now I'm very confused....

Also can anyone advise on the recommended dose for both EPO and RLT, and when they should be started? (Ie how many weeks pregnancy)

I don't intend to use the EPO internally, just orally...

Thank you original.gif

PS I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant

#2 Studybug

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hi

Sorry can't help with the EPO.  With the tea, didn't have it with DS but thought I'd give it a go this time around.

I was told to begin drinking the tea at no earlier than 36 weeks.  Start with one cup per day and slowly build up to three or four apparently.  I had my first cup at about 37
weeks and not sure if it was psychosomatic or what, but I definitely felt the BHs that day.  I stopped drinking it after a couple of days just in case the more frequent BHs turned into something and I decided 37 weeks was a little early for me lol but now I'm 38 +2 and have started again.

cheers.

#3 miss_heidi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

Interesting, thanks studybug original.gif

Anyone else know of its ok to take EPO and when?

#4 livvie7586

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

later in pregnancy you don't take the EPO, you insert it original.gif  and i wouldn't do it until at least 36 weeks

#5 noi'mnot

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

There's really mixed advice about RLT. I've been told at my local health food shop that one cup from 12 weeks, up to 2 cups from about 26 weeks and 3 cups per day from 32 weeks is ok, but others have said start at 32 weeks. My midwife was happy for me to start 1 per day from before 32 weeks, gradually building up to 3 per day from 36. You can also get tablets. One complicating factor is that different brands of RLT have different amounts in it, so again it's complicated. I'm not sure if there's a consensus on what to do. I'm 34 weeks and it does give me braxton hicks contractions, but nothing too bad and only for a wee while after drinking it. I started noticing BH from about 20 weeks and I don't really think that the tea has increased them too much, they're happening anyway.

I think EPO is after 36 weeks, some people insert it and some take it orally but I'm not sure of the dosage, I'm waiting for my 36 week appt to ask my midwife, that's when I'll start on it. I've never hear of it causing waters to break (but I may be wrong). My understanding is that as it contains prostaglandins, it's used to ripen the cervix.

Can you ask your care providers? Some are less enthusiastic about such methods, but they may be able to give you an idea. I'm sure that some more EBers will be in soon with more concrete advice too.

Good luck! original.gif

#6 redmum77

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Not sure on EPO, but RRLT can't bring on labour, but will get your uterous practicing! I took very strong doses on infusions from at least 33 weeks with the last two, and both were 10 days late. I knew they would be late anyway, but the births were very good and they even remarked that I had a toned uterous original.gif it reduces down more efficiantly too, so that helps to stop bleeding. Study bugs advice is good, to work up to a higher dose, then you can get used to the changes and not shock your body too much. BH can get tiring.

I'm interested to hear about inserting EPO - really? Is this to help with the cervix? Hmm... Gee I'd love to not go late this time!

#7 ~kuddlebug~

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

I started one cup a day of RLT at 33-34 weeks I think, increasing to two after 36 and 3 from 38. I started the EPO at about 36 weeks, one a day orally and then one orally, one inserted from 38 and increased to 2 inserted (morning and night) from 39w. I was induced at 39w3d and my cervix was favourable.

#8 againagain

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I have drunk RLT in the third trimester of each of my pregnancies. I was always told to start with one cup a day and build up to 3 or 4 cups. If you have an irritable uterus or any problems don't take it.

I also took EPO orally in the third trimester of my last pregnancy. I recall my midwife giving me a handout on it, saying it was safe enough to take etc....can't for the life of me remember what it was meant to do  laughing2.gif something about prostaglandins and ripening cervixes or so forth.

None of these things will 'make' you go in to labour, I went overdue with all three of mine (by quite a bit) but the labours were straight forward and not too bad. RLT is also meant to be good after the birth for contracting the uterus back down.

#9 BBV

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Is there anything I should look for with regards to raspberry leaf tea?! Or are the tablets better?

#10 livvie7586

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (redmum77 @ 18/02/2013, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm interested to hear about inserting EPO - really? Is this to help with the cervix? Hmm... Gee I'd love to not go late this time!

Don't count on it helping, i did it religiously with DD and she was 8 days overdue, exactly the same as her brother (although DS was a 71 hour labour and DD was 8, so it may have helped with that, but definitely didn't make her arrive any earlier)

#11 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I took EPO when I was TTC it  - it gave me the runs.  I know COD liver oil etc work by irritating the uterus (and GI tract) and from what I have read the stomach upsets and gastro are not worth the effort.

#12 redmum77

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

BBV- loose leaf, where you can actually see the leaf not just dust, is the best and strongest rrl. I used to buy it at the local organic food store, they had lots of loose teas and it was one. I had it strong, nearly black/licorice colour. I think it really helped, my sister had three very long, traumatic, labours and slow recoveries, so that's my gene comparison! I'm not having any this time on purpose, third labour and things are working very well there now (loads of BH for a long time and with the ibs I think it might cause more damage than good!). Hth

#13 fionah

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I can't remember the doses or exact dates of when I started taking supplements but with my second pregnancy I took EPO orally & inserted & also raspberry leaf tablets. I am pretty sure I began the oral stuff at about 34 weeks and the insertion at about 37 weeks.
First baby born at 40w exactly, failed vacuum, forceps & episiotomy delivery. Waters broke 2 days before delivery & ended up being put on a syntocin drip to speed up labour. Had pethidine & gas for pain relief. Needed a catheter for 24 hours post delivery as my bladder/urethra refused to allow urine to pass.

Second baby delivered at 39+2. Labour was quick, no pain relief. I did have an episiotomy again, but otherwise everything went well. It was such a different experience.

Good luck,

Fi  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.