Music for Labour
Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cloria

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I know it's one of those things that ultimately is each to their own, but was wondering what sort of music people were going to take into labour?

I'm going to go on a hunt tonight and try to put some different playlists together.

#2 Studybug

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for this thread, Cloria.  I need some inspiration as I cannot come up with anything that appeals.  Look forward to the replies!

All I can think of so far is maybe a collection of my fave songs that make me smile and calm me but not sure how many I can come up.  A few Josh Pyke songs?  

Help pls wink.gif

#3 Jenflea

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

My midwives said NO Enya or Celine Dion or whale songs.

But only because they are sick of hearing them for the last million years lol.

Just whatever you have on your ipod. That's what i did then never listened to any of it lol.

#4 aprilrain

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 17/02/2013, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My midwives said NO Enya or Celine Dion or whale songs.

But only because they are sick of hearing them for the last million years lol.

Just whatever you have on your ipod. That's what i did then never listened to any of it lol.

Ha ha! Yep, I've had 4 babies and What music??? I always found it too distracting, people joking around also irritated me. I had one Midwife tell me to "breathe it out into the universe" WT!!

I'm normally fairly easy going biggrin.gif

I think with an MP3 player it is easier. I'd say Enya, peaceful classical. Can you download a "talking book" in case your labour is long before you get to the really painful stage?

#5 GoBack2Bed

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Don't worry about the lyrics of a song, go with how the song makes you FEEL. I actually used Sarah mclauchlan mirror ball album and Toni child's house of hope album

#6 ~sydblue~

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I had a Seal(the black musician, not the animal) CD and a Boys II Men CD.

#7 gasgirl

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

what about Salt'n'Pepa "Push it"

#8 sedawson

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I was too busy sounding like a zoo. I would've drowned out any music playing. My god, I was loud.

#9 Yogurtbliss

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I used my running playlist for the last hour of my labour, I got completely in the zone and barely noticed anyone in the room, relaxation music maybe earlier in the labour, but pumped up stuff for the business end!

#10 Carmen02

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

i was set up with a cd of nice relaxing peaceful songs and it annoyed the crap out of me in the end lol i found the radio fantastic for distracting me

#11 TwiceThe Woman

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (sedawson @ 17/02/2013, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was too busy sounding like a zoo. I would've drowned out any music playing. My god, I was loud

^^^That is SO funny!  As a midwife, I love, love, love when women give-in into whatever is coming naturally for them; allowing mother nature to move right in and take over their body for that time....... those primordial sounds are just fantastic.

Good to go prepared..... Don't be surprised if what you think you want to hear - you find you can't stand once in labour.
Many women often find they want a quiet atmosphere with no noise (or chatter!)
Go with whatever works for YOU.

#12 redmum77

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Cloria, I really need to get organized too!

Can we keep this to serious suggestions?

My midwives said they like Enya... Lol! I used Tony O'Connor in the past, but I had been meditating to it for years, which is why it worked so well. This time? Less prep, so I'll take the old music just in case it still works, plus things I love listening to with the kids - random radio songs that we like or something in case I'm feeling upbeat. I might include some Tracey chapman, always makes me feel lucky to live the easy life I have compared to people in her songs, with some Nina Simone maybe. See? A mess! I was also considering Bruce springsteen, Bon Iver, Tallest Man on Earth, iron and wine.... But not sure.

Wel I'm sure that was really helpful. I remember listening to some of the things I took the last times after the birth, rather than in labour, so effort wasn't wasted original.gif

#13 Cloria

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yes I definitely think a good variety it important seeing as I don't know what I'm going to like and what's going to irritate me.

I've been doing some prenatal yoga classes and have liked some of the music they play - relaxation sort of stuff but still with vocals (of some unknown language...). One I recognised when I found it was "Deva Premal  - Gayatri Mantra" if anyone is interested. It might be too meditatey for some.

Other than that if I go through artists I already know and listen to, I seem to be leaning towards females.

The list so far includes:
- Sarah Blasko
- Bertie Blackman
- Kimbra
- Lovers Electric
- City and Colour (male)

#14 frizzle

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

For ds I listened to Ben folds, he actually came out to the luckiest, gorgeous song.
This time I am going to put Ben back on the play list, some richie sambora his new album is very good. i will also look at what I have so I can have some music on in my room once dd is born as well.

#15 Minxybug

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I find music that is soft and instrumental works for me.
Will load it on my ipod (add to it from last time) along with my hypnobirthing (again already on ipod)

use it with earphones and just take it out if I have had enough of it

#16 Nataliah

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Gurrumul is on our list so far.  It is difficult because I mostly listen to rap and hiphop... it just doesn't seem appropriate somehow  unsure.gif

Edited by Nataliah, 17 February 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#17 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Cloria @ 17/02/2013, 05:33 PM)
15336148[/url]']

Other than that if I go through artists I already know and listen to, I seem to be leaning towards females.

The list so far includes:
- Sarah Blasko
- Bertie Blackman
- Kimbra
- Lovers Electric
- City and Colour (male)

We saw Sarah Blasko at the Opera House tonight. She was amazing!!

So far I've been thinking:
*Calm Birth tracks - for relaxation & visualisations

*Andrew Bird - for relaxation (love the violin & whistling!)

*I Heart Hiroshima - for motivation during transition (I found their songs great to jog/run to - especially when I was fading!)

And yeah Bon Iver, Iron & Wine & Sarah Blasko would be great additions too original.gif

Edited by WhimsicalDragonfly, 17 February 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#18 Clarial

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I made and loaded a few play lists onto ipod this week.

One is in anticipation of wanting soothing music (its Celtic Harp music - i know have a laugh!)

but as much as i respond to that sometimes i can also see myself finding it irritating.

SO i also have a playlist of mixed tracks that i titlled 'good memories music'  so its anything that can transport me back to a time/holiday/age that makes me happy or relaxed.  There is a weird mix of stuff there but im confident that it will be a good mix.

Finally, i made a Skin to Skin playlist (i also think ill probably play nothing or everything at the 'wrong'time but since i have the time and inclination to put it together i did)
Skin to Skin playlist has really peaceful beautiful music and is themed to me imagining holding baby boy
I cant recall the songs, but i burst into tears just making this playlist.  

Mele A Ka Pu'uwai 4:19 Keali'i Reichel Eighties / Soft Rock / Old

That is the song that made me howl like a wolf.  Check it out!

Over Rainbow & Wonderful World 4:49 Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Ooh Child 3:21                                          Five Stairsteps
Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
For The Love Of You 5:40 Isley Brothers

My older sister laughs at me with my bag of almonds and massage oils, but id rather be prepared and use none of it than wish i had something with me and regret it .  Plus its a good distraction to housework as i am certainly not nesting!

#19 Clarial

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Frizzle - that is the most beautiful song.  (Ben Folds - The Luckiest) I can't believe he came out to that - i bet everyone in the room was in pieces. I could cry just thinking about it

Its an ex partner track for me though so must stay well away...
wink.gif

#20 lozoodle

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

To be honest its never crossed my mind to even care if there is music or not lol

If you want some id just take your usual music you enjoy.

#21 frizzle

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Clarial @ 18/02/2013, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frizzle - that is the most beautiful song.  (Ben Folds - The Luckiest) I can't believe he came out to that - i bet everyone in the room was in pieces. I could cry just thinking about it

Its an ex partner track for me though so must stay well away...
wink.gif

I couldn't believe it either. I used it on a montage of pics of him too that I made after he was born and everyone who saw it got teary.

#22 Cloria

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Clarial @ 18/02/2013, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My older sister laughs at me with my bag of almonds and massage oils,

haha this made me laugh original.gif

I agree though, better to be over prepared and not use it than wish you had something.

I checked with my hospital and they confirmed they have ipod docks which is good.

#23 redmum77

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Ooh I know, and I think I will be taking this for vb or CS, Kodo - the Japanese drums. Perfect, very happy with myself for thinking of it, as ive loved the cd I have for years but never thought of it for birthing. Meditative but strong and grounded at the same time....

#24 Neeily

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I took in my ipod mini which was full of my favourite 'work out' songs. While some people might find opera or Enya or something relaxing, I preferred some of my favourite songs that help me get into that focused zone that you get when you go for a long run. I would suggest just taking in songs that you enjoy so you don't spend the whole itme going 'skip this track, oh skip that one too'.

Also, I liked the ipod so I could just escape into my own little world and not have to talk to anyone for an hour or two. Obviously I took it out when the midwife came in but phase 2 of my labour was really long and I had many, many hours before any proper action started.

#25 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yep, I think a playlist will be best for me in labour. There is so much on my iPod that I skip through as there are a lot of songs/singers/bands I don't like anymore! Only problem is that I have been having problems with my iMac and it's currently out of action sad.gif We've had the technician out twice now replacing parts but the issues have actually worsened ohmy.gif
It's really frustrating! I think it is time they just give me a new computer. We first contacted them three months ago, and I'm due in five weeks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.