Boys in girls clothes

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

So.
Bought DD a $5 pair of silver pumps from kmart.
Next kmart trip, DS wants to wear them to the shops, DD says ok. But he's a size smaller so he's kind of tripping up all the time. I figure, for $5, he can have his own pair, I feel bad that she got new shoes and he didn't.
At the shoe aisles I ask him to have a look around in case there's some different pair of shoes he wants - nope, only that one. They are VERY shiny, I can't blame him, they're lovely.
Walking down the kmart aisle to pay for his shoes (still wearing DD's), DH meets us and says "DS take of those shoes, they're for girls!"

I was furious. I have NEVER told my children that something is for girls or for boys, and when DD comes home with the whole "pink is for girls" thing I tell her every colour is for everyone. I thought DH was on the same page with this - apparently not.

His angle is that he doesn't have an issue with it, but that there are social conventions, and that the kids need to learn them, otherwise they will get teased.
I see his point - I teach my kids certain social conventions (currently working on getting DD not not show her 'gina' to all and sundry) - but I don't accept that my kids need to follow any social conventions that are based on gender. Or race, say, if that were to come up.
Of course I still subtly push them one way or the other (not that I'm proud of it). DS wears shirts and pants, DD has the option of dresses and skirts on top of the options he has. DS fortunately doesn't have much interest in clothing, so has not queried this. He occasionally dons a pettiskirt when he feels like dancing - he likes the swish.

DH thinks I'm using my children - against their best interests - to make a feminist statement.
I'm of the view that my job as a parent is to tell them that I am ok with whatever they choose - if they decide not to wear certain things due to social pressure than so be it - but my job is to teach them that -I- will accept them regardless.
But DH wants to know how come we teach them other social rules so that they get along in society, but I don't want to teach them these ones. My reason is that I don't think gender rules are valid. But that's really MY view - it's a pretty small distinction for my kids when you come to think of it, to say "most rules you have to abide by - gender ones I'm ok with you ignoring if you like".
Does that mean I'm actually following my own agenda, and that it's not really for their own welfare and sense of acceptance, like I believe it is?

Help me out here. I kind of want some different ways of thinking about this, to help me convince DH. But I also want to know whether I really am doing something bad to my children for some feminist belief I have. I think I'm not - I think I'm teaching them what rules are important and what rules aren't. But I still worry  unsure.gif

Edited by CallMeProtart, 17 February 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#2 FuzzyMum

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm with you CallMeProTart. In my opinion a great deal of problems we have with bullying etc have come about due to social conventions linked to the idea of gender specific stereotyping I.e. boys will be boys and the like. If he wants to wear them then why not in my opinion.

#3 Red nut

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Most 'rules' have a reason behind them, eg consideration for others, safety etc. Gendered clothes don't, especially as it is one way... I'm sure your DD would be allowed to pick boys shoes. Why not use that as your criteria?

#4 xarley

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Good for you for getting him his own shiny shoes.  The only people who are going to care are adults so let him have fun and tell dad to relax.  He has plenty of time to learn social conventions (and decide if he wants to follow them).
From another mom whose son loves shiny (pink &sparkly) shoes

#5 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I would leave that kind of thing for dress ups, but I like to pick what my kids wear, and I wouldn't have my kids of either sex wearing pumps - not appropriate or good for their feet.
I have no problem with my DS dressing up as a fair or princess, just like them to wear proper clothes when out.

#6 Quirk

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I recently bought a three kids a pair of those knock-off Crocs from Kmart for wearing to swimming, beach etc.

It wasn't until about a week later that I realised that the pair I had bought for DS age 4, were actually girls shoes, with lovehearts all over them.

Kids have plenty of time to work out how stifled life can get, let him wear his sparkly shoes.

#7 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

The only time I might question allowing an opposite-sex child to buy gendered clothing (eg boy buying "girl" things) would be undies. And even then, only if I thoughht there would be a fit issue.

Shiny shoes are awesome.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Im with you on this one, but I dare say my DH would react similarly to the way your DH did.

Actually, I just asked my DH and he said that "they're just ****ing shoes". He said he probably would explain to our son that they are predominantly girls shoes and explain that some people might tease him and then let DS decide if he still wanted to wear them. I don't know if this is the right approach either though, as it might put him off wearing them.

DH would be okay with shoes but draws a line at a dress for some reason.

#9 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Ask your DH to flip it around - would he care if your DD was wearing boys shoes (whatever they are)?

I think it is a tricky issue to be honest. DS hasn't hit an age where he wants to choose his own things to wear yet, although he is currently napping in a pink sleeping bag because it was on clearance and I'm stingy. When he's old enough to choose we'll let him choose from whatever, but I know if he chooses typical girl things we will face questions from his grandparents. DH is on the same page at this stage so I don't have the same issue as you, but that may well change as DS grows up.

Rules for clothes really are ridiculous. As a PP mentioned, most rules are the for a reason - your DD flashing her bits to people is obviously a safety issue. Your DS wearing shiny shoes is not as long as they fit ok.

#10 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 17/02/2013, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a PP mentioned, most rules are the for a reason - your DD flashing her bits to people is obviously a safety issue. Your DS wearing shiny shoes is not as long as they fit ok.

Yes maybe this is the line I need to draw. Rules that are there for a reason vs. not.

I'm not sure though. Her flashing her bits is probably more of a social convention issue than a safety issue. It's normally around the house that she does so - unfortunately that includes when we have guests, and at her birthday party! But I don't think it was a safely issue in any of those cases - she still knows that nobody is to touch those parts without reason and permission. It's more of a social convention issue. But at least that particular convention is not gender related? And the thing is, I think there are a lot of social conventions I teach her - say most of the politeness ones - that are not really 'for a reason' - they are just what society deems polite (please, thank you).

I guess I do worry about the teasing aspect. Am I failing to protect my child, by not telling him about the social conventions he is breaching?

And no, DH wouldn't care if DD was in boys shoes. But he also feels that she would not be teased in boys shoes.

#11 namie

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I agree with what you've written CallMeProtart and have a DP with the same opinions as yours so we struggle a bit as well.

I think clothing doesn't really come into social 'rules' in the same way as "don't show people you 'gina" or "always use your manners". There's plenty of time for them to 'conform' to the 'norm' (whatever their norm is) once all their peers are of an age to be more open about it.

For now, your son is 3 and if he wants to wear silver shoes then he should be able to. Perhaps people who make boys shoes could put some effort into it and deviate from brown, black and blue, but until then if boys want to wear a pair of 'girls' shoes then so be it.

#12 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I also don't think clothes come under the same social conventions as manners and not showing your genitals. Women can never wear a dress in their life and it doesn't matter. I was a massive tomboy as a child, and never got teased for it. The tricky part is balancing it - trying to teach your child that they can do and wear what they like regardless of gender stereotypes, and protecting them from teasing and bullying.

I can sort of see where your DH is coming from to a point, but I also think your son is so little that no one will notice, and if they do they'll mostly think its cute. Ask your DH if he ever takes note of what shoes children other than his own are wearing, and hen ask him why he thinks others would care what your DS wears.

If it's family and friends he's worried about that is a different matter, and I think you would both need to be on the same page. DH and I both agree that DS can wear what he wants, and we know if he chooses girly things his grandparents will pass comment. Because we're both on the same page it will be easy for us to ignore the statements or put them in their ace, but it's harder if you guys disagree.

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 17/02/2013, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm of the view that my job as a parent is to tell them that I am ok with whatever they choose - if they decide not to wear certain things due to social pressure than so be it - but my job is to teach them that -I- will accept them regardless.

Personally, I think this is the most important message of all that I want my children to learn. I wouldn't blink if my children wanted to wear each other's clothes - DD was recently given some sparkly thongs, but they are too big, so DS2 has been wearing them because he likes them and they fit him.

#14 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

You will find, I'm sorry to say, that peer group pressure will make the sparkly shoes and fairy wings a thing of the past once he hits school age.

Enjoy it now while he still wants to.

#15 FluffyOscar

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 17/02/2013, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH thinks I'm using my children - against their best interests - to make a feminist statement.

Yeah because feminism is some silly concept middle-class mums do to keep ourselves busy, not actual choices, philosophies and beliefs we choose to live by  rolleyes.gif

Poor DS, he has learned a hard lesson. The lesson he's taught DD is even harsher.

#16 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Another in fierce agreement.

Just because something is socially accepted doesn't make it right or even desirable.

Examples of things previously socially  normal:

Slavery
Women not voting, working, wearing pants, short, short skirts, corsets - in fact pretty much anything to do with women.
Underage marriage, forced marriage, no such thing as rape in marriage...
Girls not getting an education
Boys of the land not getting an education
Homosexuality resulting in prison/death.

Forced adoptions

I won't go on.

Does he think his daughter should have the benefits and choices  of  social change  so she is no longer a mere item of property to be passed from father to whomever he wants?

Then his son can wear whatever he wants.

There are boys all over Australia opting for the girls unifo3m in school - I went to school with a boy in the 80's who always wore a dress, he still does, he wasn't bullied.

Perhaps he can teach his son that a decent human being of either gender will respect the choices they make with respect to their clothing (assuming they aren't illegal!) And not judge a book by its cover.

Good luck, it's tough when the fight is at home.

#17 Mudpie

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

How will we ever change the fact that it is something worthy of being teased over if we are busy altering our behaviour to avoid it? Seems like the lazy bandaid solution and actually kind of harmful in its own way.

I'd rather teach my child to be accepting of differences and therefore, embracing of their own than that they need to change to be accepted. To try and suggest (however subtly) that he needs to deny his own desires is only sending your son the message that differences are undesirable and potentially pushing him into the direction of being the person who does the teasing.

Edited by Mudpie, 17 February 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 17/02/2013, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah because feminism is some silly concept middle-class mums do to keep ourselves busy, not actual choices, philosophies and beliefs we choose to live by  rolleyes.gif

Poor DS, he has learned a hard lesson. The lesson he's taught DD is even harsher.

No it's not so much that, it's more the thing where fighting these battles is hard, and choosing to fight them yourself is one thing, but using vulnerable children to fight them is another. It's like a friend of mine who is shortly going to move away from a very monocultural town, because she worries about the effect on her mixed race children. On the big scale, every time someone does that, the town becomes more monocultural. But disadvantaging your children to fight that battle is not quite right either.

But yes, I worry, in the long term, about the effect on DD more than DS. If they internalise that gender defines what they can or can't do in their lives, it will be DD who is at the greatest disadvantage from it. And she was on DH's shoulders at the time, and would have absorbed and internalised every word sad.gif

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 17/02/2013, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are boys all over Australia opting for the girls unifo3m in school - I went to school with a boy in the 80's who always wore a dress, he still does, he wasn't bullied.

Yes it's funny, in the 'discussion' at the shops, DH did pull out the whole "Sure you see those boys who wear dresses at uni - but nobody is ever sitting near them, and they end up depressed - do you want to cause that?" and I replied something along the lines of it not being me causing the depression, but anyone who victimised them.
And then later that night I was like.... FTW??? The guy I knew like that in school had MASSES of friends and was one of the cheerfullest happiest guys I know. And the ones I see at those hippiefests at Newtown etc are NEVER on their own! I can say with complete certainty that whenever I have seen a cross dressing guy, they have not been on their own or friendless. This is not to say they don't ever suffer teasing or angst, but more like.... WHAT? He's made that whole image of them being alone and depressed up in his head completely. And this is after one of his best friends took like 40 years to come out, because of social pressure. Imagine denying your own sexuality for 30-35 years???

Anyway, I digress. I just hope he agrees to talk to me about it soon.

#19 Freddie'sMum

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

disclaimer - I have 2 daughters - I do not have any sons.

My friend's husband is very much like yours - OP.

They are twins and on more than one occasion (as you can imagine) if she ran out of clean jumpsuits for baby boy, she would want to put him in a lemon / pink / white one - her husband had a meltdown.  Just couldn't cope with the baby boy wearing "girls" clothes.

The opposite is starting to happen in our house - if our girls don't like something they will say "oh that's just for boys" or "only boys can do that" - I nip that in the bud pretty damn quickly too - for instance they will tell me "only girls can have long hair - boys can't have long hair" - I ask them WHY can only girls have long hair ??  WHY can't boys have long hair ??

You can see them working it all out in their little minds - trying to find an answer - usually there is silence - so I say "well boys may want to have long hair and if a boy wants to have long hair, he can".

#20 katpaws

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

From my experience, many men are very scared of their sons turning gay and they don't want their sons exhibiting any "signs" that they are "ga" ie dress ups, wearing girls clothing, wearing makeup, playing with dolls, etc. (and yes i know that that sort of stuff doesn't make you gay!) Although i am not saying OP this is what is occuring in your case., this is just what i have seen. A little boy plays with a doll and automatically there are whispers amongst other paresnt "is the gay?" or "if he isnt gay now, playing with dolls will make him gay", and even "i hope his parents stop him playing with dolls, don't they care?".

The other day i saw a guy walking around in a skirt and i thought "whoa" and then realised that i was being sexist. Why can't guys wear whatever they want? Why should it be shocking to me to see a guy in a skirt or dress? I can wear men's clothes (or ones styled that way) and no one cares. There are many cultures where men wear dresses/skirts - in Africa, Asia, Pacific Islands and even Scotland (etc). Essentially there is nothing wrong with a man wearing a dress or skirt, or even silver shoes's just our own stupid Western World "norms" that turn it into a specticle or scandal or an issue.

I think, a young boy want to wear sparkly shoes, why not? If a young girl wants to wear some hard Yakka stuff, so what? Children should be welcome to explore things. I remember how much fun DD and i had making train tracks and playing with cars. Why should children be denied playing with things because certain things are associated with a particular gender? It is really silly.

Edited by katpaws, 17 February 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#21 Nataliah

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I want to preface this by saying that little boys can wear hot pink tutus if they want, I don't mind.  

However I also wonder why little boys clothing has such little flamboyance, even compared to teenage or adult male clothing.  Maybe if there were some funkier/brighter/more interesting options for boys there wouldn't be as much of an issue.  

My DH is a 6'5" man, he's physically very manly, he's into manly things like MMA... But he's a flamboyant dresser, not feminine in the slightest, but a bit dandy.  Even when he's casual its one of his 20-odd pairs of coloured sneakers teamed with a matching coloured polo and a pair of jeans.  He has about 15 matching bow-ties and pockets squares FFS.  For little boys there's just nothing... it's crazy.

I've never understood why sartorial creativity or personal grooming are seen now as feminine interests.  You couldn't find a harder man than my shearer grandad for example, but he never left the house without bril-cream in his hair, polished boots and his shirt tucked in...

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Strawmoose... laughing2.gif

QUOTE (Nataliah @ 17/02/2013, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to preface this by saying that little boys can wear hot pink tutus if they want, I don't mind.  

However I also wonder why little boys clothing has such little flamboyance, even compared to teenage or adult male clothing.  Maybe if there were some funkier/brighter/more interesting options for boys there wouldn't be as much of an issue.  

My DH is a 6'5" man, he's physically very manly, he's into manly things like MMA... But he's a flamboyant dresser, not feminine in the slightest, but a bit dandy.  Even when he's casual its one of his 20-odd pairs of coloured sneakers teamed with a matching coloured polo and a pair of jeans.  He has about 15 matching bow-ties and pockets squares FFS.  For little boys there's just nothing... it's crazy.

I've never understood why sartorial creativity or personal grooming are seen now as feminine interests.  You couldn't find a harder man than my shearer grandad for example, but he never left the house without bril-cream in his hair, polished boots and his shirt tucked in...

I agree with this. I mean it's sort of a separate issue, but it is very crap. I feel so bad when we go to the shoe shops and DD's section is full of bright colours and sparkles, and DS's section is dark green, black, dark blue. It's so dull. It's no wonder he gravitates to the girls stuff - it's way nicer. And ditto clothing options.

#23 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

CMF, I think the best argument to put to him is to ask whether he would have had the same reaction to his daughter wearing boys shoes. I'm betting not.

Then challenge him as to why it is ok for a girl to wear boy's stuff but not for a boy to wear girl's stuff. Point out that it stems from the ingrained assumption that to be female is to be inferior.

Ask him if he really wants his daughter, or son, to be internalising that message.

There are plenty of social norms that have questionable validity. But this is a social norm that applies to one gender over another. It is fine for us to dress like them, but not for them to dress like us.

Any social norm that provides different rules for one group over another is one that should never go unchallenged.

ETA - and you are not co-opting him as a tool to express your ideology. If you were making him wear sparkly shoes, that would be co-opting. But letting him make his own choice about what he wants to wear? That's just letting him be who he wants without judgement. Completely different.

Edited by FemboFerretOfDoom, 17 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#24 StopTheGoats

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Good point Nataliah^^
A similar thing recently came up in our house around a dolls pram. I was so surprised, angry and disappointed at my husbands attitude. Particularly as he's a very caring, hands on father and husband so our son wasn't doing anything he hadn't seem his father do every day. We had a furious conversation and in the end he had to admit that yes, he was being sexist and yes he'd internalised the mysoginistic convention that to be feminine is trading down and yes it was a terrible restriction to place on our son to deny him the opportunity to care for and nurture another human being but he drew the line at a pink pram as "it's totally crap that this system of privilege exists but our son won the bloody lottery and you're attempting to deny him his winnings!'. It's an ongoing discussion. It hurts me just to think about it. I never thought I'd married such a dickbag.

Edited by JuniorSpies, 17 February 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#25 Nataliah

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Yep agree, definitely a different issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.